Woman attacked and robbed in Islands of Adventure bathroomLeah Zanolla | Posted: Oct 22, 2012 | Updated: Oct 22, 2012 - 1:42:42 PM
A woman at Islands of Adventure at Universal Orlando was attacked and robbed while in a bathroom stall last week. Late afternoon on Sunday, October 14, Patti Murphy, 49, noticed her purse on the floor start to move; someone in the next stall was trying to grab it. She moved her arm and foot to stop the purse, but she says, "Right as I put my foot up I saw the knife and I realized. I looked, I could see my hand, my arm all bleeding, my finger." The person in the next stall had cut her with a switchblade knife, leading Murphy to need 27 stitches to fix her right arm, finger and right ankle.
The assailant also cut the purse down the side and was able to get out with $50 and without being seen.
Murphy headed to a store to get help and was told by Universal staff that Islands of Adventure currently doesn't have as much security, because most are working at Halloween Horror Nights. "From what I see there wasn't enough security. I was really blown away that they said they didn't have enough cameras - not in the facility, the bathroom - but outside there," said Murphy.
Police are checking video from a nearby ATM to hopefully get a glimpse of the attacker.
Universal offered Murphy two free park tickets and had this to say about the incident, "Our highest priority is the safety of our guests across our entire resort. Beyond that, we don't discuss specific security procedures or ongoing investigations."
Daily Email DIS Updates
Stay Informed With All Things Disney!
Enter your email address below to receive DIS Updates by email – including News, Blogs, Podcasts, Discounts, and Disney Updates.
Sign Up & Win A Prize!
Each month we select one of our subscribers at random and give away a prize! Prizes range from a $50 Disney Gift Card, Adventures by Disney trip for two, or a 7 day/6 night stay at Walt Disney World with dining for a family of four!
- Inaugural Disney Fit Challenge to be held in September - Competitions will include tests of power, speed, balance, strength and endurance.
- Blog - A Shopping Oasis: Merchandise at Disney's Flower & Garden Festival
- Pollo Campero at Downtown Disney will be closing 3/19/14 - Pollo Campero, Bodie's All-American Grill and Babycakes NYC will be closing 3/19/14. Babycakes NYC will still be providing gluten-free items to select Walt Disney World food courts and restaurants.
- Blog - 2014 Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival opens in Epcot
- Registration for the Wine & Dine Half Marathon opens today - This race is held in conjunction with the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival.
- Blog - Haunted Mansion Merchandise Materializes in Disney Parks
- New dates for D23's Destination D - The event will be held November 22-23, 2014.
- 2015 Walt Disney World Marathon dates - Registration for the 2015 marathon begins 4/22/14.
- Blog - A Brit's Perspective - Changing of the Seasons at the Orlando theme parks
- Rebel Rendezvous merchandise event planned for Star Wars Weekends - Attendees will receive exclusive access to Darth's Mall a day before it opens to the public.
- Blog - A February Stroll through the Magic Kingdom
- Walt Disney World restaurants add Braille menus - Beginning March 1, select restaurants will be adding Braille menus, though a list of participating restaurants is not yet available. The Braille menus will have examples of the menu items but may not list all the short term or temporary items.
- Family Ticket offer - get one free day! - Get one FREE additional day on each ticket when you buy 6 or more 4-day or longer Magic Your Way tickets!
- Blog - Disney's Polynesian Resort is Changing in a Big Way
- Just announced! Festival of Fantasy parade will debut March 9! - This parade will run daily in the afternoons at the Magic Kingdom.
- Celebrate Earth Day at Disney's Animal Kingdom - The park is also celebrating the release of Disneynature's newest film Bears, which hits theaters April 18.
- Car Masters Weekend to be held at Downtown Disney - This event takes place June 14-15.
- Walt Disney World ticket prices increase - Ticket prices have gone up effective today, Sunday, February 23.
- Mighty St. Patrick's Day Festival planned for Downtown Disney - Downtown Disney celebrates St. Patrick's Day with live music, a step-by-step Irish jig workshop, classic Irish food and drink, Irish storytellers, Irish history and merchandise at Raglan Road's Shop.
- Star Wars Weekends - extra weekend added, plus Hyperspace Hoopla cancelled - A nightly fireworks show has been added instead of the Hyperspace Hoopla party.