Boatwrights Dining Hall
Review by Kevin Klose - 2/08
Based on a tip from an acquaintance, I was told to try Boatwrights “because you are going to love it.”
Called Disney Dining and made my reservation for a party of four and was looking forward to “loving it”
For those of you who aren’t familiar with Boatwrights Dining Hall, it is located in Port Orleans Riverside Resort. It is a deceptively large restaurant made up of several rooms on different levels.
We arrived at the podium at our correct time to be told that we had no reservation. While one of our party members , who sits in a wheelchair was in the process of trying to figure this out (and we are talking a grand total of two minutes) a woman literally climbed up and over her, letting us all know that her “buzzer went off.” She cut in front of us and then turned and offered her explanation of “we’ve waited almost 5 minutes for this.” As we all stood silently by, mouths wide open, she was told that they had just tested all the buzzers and it wasn’t her turn. It was difficult to not laugh out loud, but I controlled myself as she skulked away to wait yet again.
We….who didn’t climb over anyone…were seated within 2 minutes of getting our buzzer. We were shown to a table right in front of the fireplace and on a chilly night thought this to be quite a prize only to find that it was a gas fireplace and offered no heat at all.
Our server approached our table and without a hello asked if we were on the Disney Dining Plan. When told no, she then asked if we wanted to order drinks. Friendly.
Boatwrights menu (a single sheet) is a bit different in that the first items listed are non-alcoholic specialty drinks like a Chocolate Banana Smoothie or a Frozen Cappuccino. I found this a bit odd. Maybe people start their diners with a Strawberry Milkshake and I’m not aware…who knows.
After the frozen dessert drinks (???) are the appetizers. There are two salads, a Seafood Cocktail, Crawfish Cakes and a Steak and Red Bean Soup.
We chose the Spinach Salad ($5.99), the Crawfish Cakes ($10.49), the Steak and Red Bean Soup ($6.49) and we ordered an adult sized portion of the Chicken Noodle Soup ($5.49).
The Spinach Salad was tasty with a bacon herb dressing. It also contained roasted beets, mushrooms and goat cheese. Apparently, goat cheese is not that expensive because I received a tremendous amount. I actually had to remove more than half.
The Crawfish Cakes were with fennel, mango slaw and remoulade. There were two silver dollar sized cakes on a bed of sliced mango. The cakes were a bit dry and hard to eat, as any time you touched one of the cakes, they crumbled. We had to use a soup spoon to get them to our mouths. I thought these were overpriced and not worth the time.
I am told that the Steak and Red Bean soup was very good. I had a hard time getting past the color. I can only describe it as murky. It came with a scoop of sour cream on top which did nothing to make it more appealing as the cream dissolved into the soup. Again, I was told it was quite tasty and I am willing to believe that
Warm corn bread was served with soft honey sweetened butter. Delicious!!! Ask for more.
On to the entrees…there are seven entrees offered ranging in price from $16.99 to $29.99.
The entrees will take some explaining….well…not so much the entrees but the side dishes. One of our party ordered the Grilled Pork Chop ($20.99). This is accompanied by Maque Choux and Apple Butter. I’m sure there are those out there that know that Maque Choux is corn relish, but no one at our table was aware of this fact. We asked if we could substitute a potato and were told that the only potato available was the Three Cheese Hash Brown potatoes. Sold! Another one of our party ordered the Buttermilk Fried Chicken with Waffles and Collard Greens ($16.99) Again, the potatoes won out over the waffles. The third person ordered the Slow Roasted Prime Rib with those same potatoes and Cabernet sauce ($21.99) and finally, I ordered the Jambalaya ($17.99). which is Spiced Chicken Thighs, Andouille Sausage, Shrimp, Rice and vegetables.
The Three Cheese Hashed Brown Potatoes are mashed potatoes with a bit of cheese and onions and browned on a grill. I will spare you the rant about this not being hashed brown potatoes, but suffice to say these were disappointing.
The pork chop (notice I only mentioned one) was tiny. The Buttermilk Fried Chicken was boneless breast with a very thick coating. The prime rib was bland and the Jambalya was an unusual presentation. I was served a bowl of seasoned rice with a chicken thigh, half a sausage and two shrimp lying on top. I’ve never seen Jambalaya served this way. There was no sauce or liquid of any kind. Maybe I’ve not had enough varieties of Jambalaya to have encountered this one before, but it wasn’t very good.
None of our food was awful…just disappointing. These are not bargain prices and at this price point, I think people have a right to expect decent, well prepared food. This was neither. Our neighborhood Applebees serves better food at less than half the price.
As you can tell….we didn’t “love it.”
Our meal was approximately $117.00 before the Disney Dining Experience and $114.00 after, but the new total included an 18% gratuity which was not deserved….but that’s another conversation entirely.
Unless convenience is your only motivation, your dining dollars can be much better spent elsewhere on Disney property.
- All-Star Music food court closes for refurbishment - The Intermission Food Court will be closed 8/1/14-12/20/14 for refurb.
- New events added to Epcot International Food & Wine Festival - Late Nights LIVE! and new Premium Package events added.
- Astro Orbiter rehab extended by one week - Originally scheduled to end September 19, the ride will now reopen September 28.
- Food & Wine Festival Premium events now available for booking - This includes seminars, signature dining experiences and other special events.
- Changes coming to Move It, Shake It, Celebrate It Street Party? - An update is rumored for this parade later this year, possibly around October. Possible changes are new music; Mickey, Minnie, Goofy and Donald moving to the top of the floats; and Stitch joining the fun. Sebastian, Lumiere, and The Mad Hatter will leave the parade.
- During pool rehab, Polynesian guests will have free admission to Blizzard Beach - Originally, the resort guests were just going to be given one-day tickets to the water park, but that has been changed. They will now have complimentary unlimited admission to Blizzard Beach during their stay at the Polynesian.
- List of restaurants participating in the 2015 Disney Dining Plan - This list will be updated as more restaurants are added. Epcot and Downtown Disney restaurants don't normally finalize their participation until later in the year.
- 2015 Magic Your Way Disney World packages released! - A Walt Disney World package is a resort room and theme park admission. The Disney Dining Plan may also be added.
- Happy 15th Birthday to Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith! - The attraction originally opened its doors at Disney’s Hollywood Studios on July 29, 1999.
- Victoria & Albert's will no longer accept Tables in Wonderland - This begins August 1, 2014.
- Summertime Pals Ink & Paint Cel release - This limited release will be available at the event, or pre-order by September 25 at 5:00pm EST.
- Haunted Mansion merchandise shop coming to Magic Kingdom - The former Yankee Trader shop will become a Haunted Mansion merchandise location in the near future. The decor will be inspired by Madame Leota and will carry items from the Haunted Mansion Authentic program, such as apparel, home goods, souvenirs and more.
- Merchandise Events and Artist Appearances/Signings for August - List of authors and artists coming to the theme parks for signings and merchandise releases.
- List of characters updated for Villains Unleashed! event - Over 50 Disney villains will be taking over the park until the 13th hour!
- Beginning today, PhotoPass print packages are no longer offered table-side at character meals - This includes Chef Mickey's, 1900 Park Fare, 'Ohana, Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue, Disney's Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show and Tusker House Restaurant.
- Disney Visa cardholders can book Food & Wine Festival events early - Disney Visa cardholders can book special events two days earlier than the general public - on July 29 and July 30 from 7:00am-11:00pm EST.
- Tables in Wonderland adds blackout dates for several restaurants - The Tables in Wonderland program offers Florida Residents, DVC members and Annual Passholders 20% off of all food and beverage purchases at the participating Disney restaurants.
- Information on Holiday sleigh rides at Fort Wilderness - This horse-drawn "sleigh" ride is a fun way to celebrate the season.
- Marketplace menus for Epot International Food & Wine Festival - List of menu items for the marketplaces set up around World Showcase.
- Rehab planned in November for Magic Carpets of Aladdin - The Magic Kingdom attraction will be closed 11/10 - 11/21/2014.
- Food & Wine Festival Special Dining Experiences released - Bookings for these experiences begin July 31.
- 10 Places to Wait Out a Thunderstorm at Walt Disney World
- Disney Castaway Cay Challenge added to Princess Half Marathon Weekend - Runners who are registered for any of the Disney races (5K or longer) during the Weekend have the option to complete the Disney Castaway Cay Challenge when sailing on the Disney Dream February 23-27.
- Fantasia Miniature Golf Course rehab planned off and on for the next two weeks - Gardens Course closed 7/22-7/25/2014, 7/28-8/1/2014, 8/4-8/8/2014. The Fairways will still be open.
- Blog - I Can Go The Distance: Deciding is one thing, registering is another
- Save up to 30% on a Room Only reservation at Walt Disney World! - Valid for stays most nights 10/4/14 - 11/25/14 and 11/29/14 - 12/23/14.
- 2015 WDW hotel discount released for U.S. Military - Valid for stays most nights 9/28/14 - 10/3/15.
- All 3 remaining weekends sold out for Harambe Nights - July 26, August 2 and August 9 are sold out.
- Annual passholder discount for Spice Road Table - Through 9/17/14, Annual Passholders can get a 30% discount on their bill.
- 2015 Military Ticket Discount info released - Members of the military can purchase 4-day Magic Your Way tickets with Park Hopper option for $177 each.
- Changes to reservation times for Wishes Dessert Party - Reservations are all being set for 6:00pm, no matter when Wishes is taking place. The dessert party will actually take place one hour before Wishes.
- Frozen Summer Fun Premium package is sold out for all remaining dates - This package gives guests at Frozen Summer Fun Live reserved viewing for several events.
- Wild by Design tour to be discontinued after 9/26/14 - This tour takes place at Disney's Animal Kingdom.
- Fantasy Football Convention coming to ESPN Wide World of Sports - The convention will give attendees access to ESPN talent, a live fantasy football draft and more.
- Blog - Sneak Preview of What's Coming to the 2014 Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
- Dates and pricing released for ICE! at Gaylord Palms - Using two million pounds of ice, this Gaylord Palms Resort special ticket exhibit will be transformed into the North Pole.
- Blog - Disney's Magical Express Age Limit Changes: A Parent's & Teacher's Perspective
- Blog - Five Reasons Why We're Not Seeing "Planes: Fire & Rescue" in Theaters
- Blog updated - I Just Spent $20 on FastPasses! Would You? - The author has taken the tour she discussed in the blog - check out her thoughts to see if she would do this again!
- Blog - July 2014 Magic Kingdom Construction Update
- Information for Food & Wine Festival special dining experiences - book 7/31 - Premium events will be announced July 24 and can be booked on July 31 beginning at 7:00am EST. To book, call 407-WDW-FEST (939-3378).
- Princess Half Marathon fills in less than 24 hours - The Princess Half Marathon, the Princess Enchanted 10K and the Glass Slipper Challenge are sold out, filling less than 24 hours after registration opened.
- Dolphins at Epcot will be offstage through August 7 - Guests will not be able to see the dolphins at The Seas with Nemo & Friends. The Dolphins in Depth Tour will be unavailable during this time as well.
- Changes in parking due to Downtown Disney Remodel - Speeds in the area will be reduced, as well as lanes closed. Buena Vista Drive will be expanded to 10 lanes.
- Blog - Disney Responds to Disability Access Service Lawsuit
- Walt Disney World 2015 packages now available to book
- High-speed train will link Shanghai Disneyland to city
- "Clyde and Seamore Take Pirate Island" show cancelled at SeaWorld
- PBS plans Walt Disney biopic
- Release date set for 5th Pirates of the Caribbean film
- Man arrested at Typhoon Lagoon for molesting 4 teenage girls
- Standby line to be cut off in Anna and Elsa meet and greet
- Disney's second quarter injury report: 12-year-old boy cuts fingers on Pirates ride
- 30 years in prison for man who molested girl at SeaWorld
- Possible agreement reached between Disney and unions