My family loves a little healthy competition, and theme parks are a great place to find it.
Becoming one of Buzz Lightyears’ Junior Space Rangers is the perfect way to do just that. You can have a little fun and get some frustrations out at the same time. Entering into battle with Emperor Zurg is fun for your whole family. Just walk over to Tommorrowland and you will find Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin. The line moves pretty quickly so do not worry if it seems long.
First let’s talk about the basics.
After climbing aboard your own XP-38 Space Cruiser (the ride vehicle), you will shoot your way through space. Throughout the ride, you will be aiming at Emperor Zurg insignia (Z type lightning bolts). At the end of the ride, you can compare your score to the Space Ranger chart to find your rank. My family loves seeing where they ended up.
Level 1 Star Cadet: 0 – 1,000
Level 2 Space Ace: 1,001 – 10,000
Level 3 Planetary Pilot: 10,001 – 100,000
Level 4 Space Scout: 100,001 – 300,000
Level 5 Ranger 1st Class: 300,001 – 600,000
Level 6 Cosmic Commando: 600,001 – 999,998
Level 7 Galactic Hero: 999,999
Truth be told, if you hold the laser trigger down and miss all the targets, you can still receive at least 1,300 points. Most people do not know this and it’s easy points. This is great for the smaller members of your family because it will rank them in the second division of “Space Scout” on the scoreboard. This may be great for small children, but you, my fellow space ranger, you want to kick some serious space butt. And, I’m going to tell you just how to do it. Let`s go beat Emperor Zurg. It’s time to reclaim the galaxy.
Before starting there a few small tips that will help you along the way.
- Try to ride this attraction in the very opening or closing of the park. The reason for this is because it will be easier to keep track of which laser dot is yours. Keeping track of that little red dot can get super complicated if the ride is full.
- Some guests take this ride very seriously and they will all tell you not all the guns will shoot straight. Always test your gun out when you first sit down. This will help you adjust your shooting strategy. Also sometimes a gun will not work. It will allow you to switch guns if you are alone in your ride vehicle or use the gun your non shooting partner isn’t using.
- A supper easy tip is to keep your finger on the button for continuously shooting. This comes is handy because you can keep hitting the same target and rack up the points. Just make sure to hit the Z or you won’t receive any points. Some guests think you just have to hit the object but you actually have to hit the little target for it to register. If you can hit a high target numerous times this will make the world of difference in your final score.
- Always drive the vehicle because then you can control it. You will be able to put yourself in a better position. The vehicles turn around so keep in mind sometimes it is easier to shoot targets going backwards or once you passed it.
- Aim for the smaller and further targets. The harder the target is to hit, the more it’s usually worth. Always remember to weigh your options as well. A target may be worth more, but if you spend forever trying to hit it and miss you get zero. If you hit a easier and small target numerous times you can really get a lot of points.
- Finally, if you are lucky the vehicle will stop during your ride. Use that time wisely and get as many points as possible.
Now here’s the good stuff.
- In this room, look for the red robot on your left-hand side. You honestly can not miss him he is so big. Shoot for the target inside of his left hand to score big. It will always look easy to hit but in reality you have to hit him as soon as you see him. He is also easier to hit if you are in the left hand seat. Sounds silly but it is true.
- Congrats you have started off great, now turn the vehicle around look for the claw. It is located on the right hand side near the ceiling. It is worth 100,000 points. Some guests will tell you it is easier to hit as you pass it but that has not been my experience.
- You have made it to the second room. Now look for the volcano and you will notice it has two Zs to shoot at. The higher of the two is worth 50,000 points. So try to hit it as many times as possible. You can do it.
- There is a monster in a box in this area that is worth 50,000 points. Try not to miss him. You want those points here.
- Before leaving the room look up high. There is a spinning target at the top of the exit and it is worth 25,000 points. You must be getting pretty close to the ultimate goal now. Can you feel the victory?
- Welcome to the third room. Look for Zurg`s ship. You can not miss it and the target is worth 100,000 points. These are points that should be easy enough for anyone to hit. The closer you get to him the harder it will be to hit though. So hit him quick and often. The same speed you eat a mickey bar at. Take in as many as you can while you are there.
- Continuing along you will see some batteries. Do your best to hit the bottom batteries. If you can knock them over it will give you 50,000 points. You want every point you can get because we are getting close to the end.
Emergency Escape Hatch
- Remember I told you earlier you can get free points by simply holding the trigger and not doing anything else? You can get 300 of those points here. Take the free points.
- This area is up for debate. Many guests will claim there are numerous targets you can only see for a moment here. I can never find them though. I have heard numerous guests claim there are some hit value ones if you look near his ship. The animated Zurg has a target near his head worth 75,000 points. It might be the last points you need to push yourself over the score limit.
A cast member at the photo area will give you a Galactic Hero Button which is a great and unique souvenir. Now they have a Galactic Hero Stickers as well. You can wear it with pride for the rest of the day. Remember to take a picture of your score to show to your Disney friends too.
Now go out and save the universe.