UPDATE 06/18/20: California Governor Gavin Newsom issued an order today requiring face masks in all public areas and high risk settings.
The new state-wide rules will override those of Orange County.
Newsom said in his statement:
Simply put, we are seeing too many people with faces uncovered - putting at risk the real progress we have made in fighting the disease. California's strategy to restart the economy and get people back to work will only be successful if people act safely and follow health recommendations. That means wearing a face covering, washing your hands and practicing physical distancing.
The Disneyland Resort had already said that they will require face coverings for guests and Cast Members.
Source: Los Angeles Times
Officials in Orange County, California have announced that they will no longer require face coverings in public, however they are still recommended.
The face mask order, which was issued May 22 by former health officer Dr. Nichole Quick, was rescinded today by Orange County Health Care Agency Director Dr. Clayton Chau, who is acting as interim county health officer.
Dr. Quick abruptly resigned this week after receiving threats and experiencing protests outside her home following the mask order.
Dr. Chau said that the decision "is not because of the public push back on it, and we are not taking the masks away. We strongly recommend that people wear masks."
The change comes as the county announces more businesses that can reopen in Stage 3 of California's plan, including bars, gyms, movie theaters, hotels, museums, campgrounds, and public swimming pools.
Source: Orange County Register