Disneyland Resort Tips, Hints and Secrets
(Provided by the Dreams Unlimited Travel Disneyland Agents)
The address of the Disneyland Resort is 1313 N. Harbor Blvd. M is the 13th letter, so Mickey Mouse (MM) lives at 1313.
The breakfast at the Steakhouse 55 is an excellent meal for the price. Dinner is very expensive, but the breakfast options are very reasonable and enough to share. They serve breakfast until 11:30.
If you board the monorail in Downtown Disney, you must disembark when you arrive in Tomorrowland. If you board in Tomorrowland, they will let you make the round trip.
Take some time to sit for a while in Downtown Disney and ‘people watch’. The different restaurants sometimes offer samples of a few of their menu items around 4 - 4:30pm on different days.
There is a great ‘hidden’ area at the Grand Californian Resort. It’s outdoors, has a fire pit and is a great place to relax and escape the craziness of the parks. The fire place in the lobby is also a nice spot, particularly when there’s live piano music in the background.
Use FastPass as much as you can
Do one section of the park at a time; do everything located there, then move to the next area. Try to avoid "running" from one end of the park to do one thing and then clear over to the other side to do something else.
Pick out your spot for parade/fireworks then take turns holding your place. One of you can shop, get snacks, etc, then relieve the other(s).
Speaking of picking spots, notice where the poles go for the ropes for parades and position yourself near the 'line' on the street or sidewalk
If there is a 2nd show of Fantasmic or parade, watch the later one which is often less crowded
If you’ve seen the parade or simply aren’t interested in viewing it, hit a big attraction or two or do some serious shopping while it’s going on.
When shopping have your purchases sent to Will Call at the front of the park and pick it up on your way out. (This tip only works if you’re going to stay in the parks for a few more hours.)
Check out the park guide/daily schedule to see where/when the characters are going to be.
It is very easy to park hop between the Disneyland Park and California Adventure. The entrances are right across from each other and you don’t have to go through security again.
Don't miss the Storybook Land Cruise - the miniatures are fantastic.
Don’t miss The Walt Disney Story that features Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln.
For a place to relax or cool off - Main Street Cinema
Dining - Don't miss Blue Bayou. They have a great Monte Cristo sandwich.
The Sun Wheel at California Adventure offers 2 gondolas - stationary ones that do not rock and the swinging ones. There are 2 lines so pick the right one.
The Tiki room was originally planned to be a restaurant so it was designed with restrooms.
Guests can use their FastPass anytime after the return time, so don't get rid of them if you’re running late.
The rooftop pool at Paradise Pier Hotel offers a nice spot for guests to watch the fireworks, and they pipe the music in.
For the Aladdin show – sit in the back section of the Orchestra seating -- first row right on the aisle. You get a fantastic view of the show, and the Prince Ali parade passes right in front of you. It's great.
Jedi Academy -- children who wear something that’s eye-catching or who make a small sign are more likely to get picked.
Woody's Roundup -- wonderful place to relax and let the young ones unwind. During Halloween and Christmas there are crafts as well as cookie decorating while characters visit and entertain you.
Mark Twain Steamboat - Ask the captain if you can help steer the ship – If you do you’ll get a souvenir certificate
One of the most beautiful picture spots in Disneyland - Court of Angels (name is in French) in New Orleans Square.
Here's a good spot to watch the fireworks on a crowded night. Go up on the train station platform and stand behind the preferred seating benches. The people there have to sit, & you'll have a panoramic view of the fireworks show. (Plan on staking your spot early.)
Flag Retreat Ceremony -- although this on in the Disneyland itinerary sheet, it's not really touted. This is a must-do at least once a trip, particularly if you have a member who's been a part of the armed services as they are honored there.
Rancho del Zocalo -- good food, hardly ever crowded
Learn the number to Disney dining - you can usually make same day priority seating arrangements. (714-781-3463, option 4)
People looking for a healthier treat - next to the Jungle Cruise, there is a little outdoor market with healthy treats/fresh fruit, etc.
Snow White Wishing Well - such a romantic spot. Every 15-20 minutes or so, the song "I'm Wishing" plays and the well echoes the song -- such a pretty spot.
There is a unisex, one person bathroom that only a few people know about - this is in Carnation Plaza, near the breezeway to the Zocalo Restaurant. It is tucked in the corner near the cast member exit to the backstage area, and is usually empty -- great find when the parks are really busy.
Downtown Disney - Jazz Kitchen is a great spot to have dinner in the evenings. If you eat downstairs, you can watch the jazz band perform - no extra charge.
There is a rental car agency at Downtown Disney for guests who want to get away for a day and would like their own transportation.
This is kind of a well-known secret for the DL fan -- at the top of the Matterhorn (inside) is a half-court basketball court for the climbers to use while hanging out after climbing up the Matterhorn.
Snow White Adventure in Fantasyland -- if you touch the brass apple that is at the entrance to the attraction there will be a loud clap of thunder and the witch will cackle with laughter.
- Disneyland's Legends of Frontierland ends 09/27/14 - The interactive Legends of Frontierland ends its run at Disneyland Park on September 27th.
- Mickey's Halloween Party perks for Disneyland Passholders - Disneyland Annual Passholders who are attending Mickey's Halloween Party can stop by the Opera House for screenings of Halloween-themed Disney classics plus a tasty treat.
- Tips for using FastPass at Disneyland - With all the talk of Magic Bands and FastPass+ lately, I thought it might be good to remind folks that the Disneyland Resort is still using the "classic" paper FastPass system and maybe pass on a few tips.
- Blog - Disneyland Good Neighbor Hotel - Candy Cane Inn
- Save 20% on premium rooms at the Disneyland Resort - Most weeknights this Fall, save 20% on premium rooms at the three hotels of the Disneyland Resort.
- Blog - What to Expect at Disney's D23 Destination D Event this November
- Menu updated at Flo's V8 Cafe - Flo's V8 Café at California Adventure has updated its menu, adding a couple of hot sandwiches and replacing the pork loin with BBQ pork ribs.
- Disneyland delays Elsa & Anna's Boutique transformation - The transformation of Downtown Disney's Studio Disney 365 to Elsa & Anna's Boutique has been delayed. The new opening date is 10/06/14.
- Blog - Disney Opposes "Inflammatory" Amended Complaint in DAS Lawsuit
- Blog - The Good and Bad of "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" on Blu-ray
- 4D preview of Big Hero 6 at Disneyland Park - Beginning September 26th, the Magic Eye Theater in Disneyland Park will host a 4D preview of the upcoming animated feature "Big Hero 6".
- Blog - Disneyland Weekly Update - 09/15/14
- Blog - HalloweenTime at Disneyland 2014
- Blog - Tom & West's 5 Favorite Thrills at Magic Mountain
- Top 5 ways to celebrate HalloweenTime at Disneyland - Disneyland Park goes all out for the Halloween season, from the front of the Park to the back. Starting in mid-September and continuing through the holiday itself, the Park and the characters, are decked in their Fall finest.
- Mickey's Halloween Party sold out for Halloween Night - Mickey's Halloween party at Disneyland is now sold out for three dates: 09/26, 10/03 and 10/31.
- Disneyland confirms return of Winter Dreams and Viva Navidad - The Disneyland Resort has announced the dates for the holiday celebrations and confirmed the return of World of Color-Winter Dreams and Viva Navidad.
- Mahaloween Luau coming to Trader Sam's - Celebrate Halloween a bit early at Trader Sam's with its Mahaloween Luau on 09/29/14. Tickets are $125 and go on sale 09/10/14.
- Mystic Magic Show added to Big Thunder Ranch Halloween Carnival - New on the stage this year at Disneyland's Halloween Carnival is the Mystic Magic Show, featuring jugglers, magicians and fortune tellers.
- FastPass testing at Disneyland's Frozen meet & greet - Disneyland is now testing a FastPass-like system for the Frozen meet & greet in Fantasyland.
- VIDEO: Cruising Around Hawaii - Explore the Hawaiian islands of Maui, Hawai'i, and Kauai while sailing onboard Norwegians Cruise Line's Pride of America.
- VIDEO: Driving Around Oahu - Explore the island of Oahu by driving around to different unique locations. Ted's Bakery, Haleiwa, Matsumoto's Shave Ice, and many others make Oahu a great place to find local treasures.
- Meet Oswald the Lucky Rabbit at California Adventure - Beginning 09/14/14, guests can meet Oswald the Lucky Rabbit on Buena Vista Street at California Adventure.
- Blog - Disneyland Weekly Update - 09/01/14
- Blog - The Good and Bad of "Toy Story of TERROR!" on Blu-ray
- Legends of Frontierland extended at Disneyland Park - Legends of Frontierland, the interactive experience at Disneyland Park, has been extended past the previously announced September 1st end date.
- VIDEO - Frozen Fireworks Multi-Angle Full Show - “Frozen” Fireworks Spectacular – Everything wraps up at 9:45 p.m. when Anna, Elsa, Kristoff, and Olaf come together at the Sorcerer’s Hat Icon Stage for a grand finale to the day’s festivities, kicking off an awe-inspiring fireworks display set to the glorious music of “Frozen!”
- Magic Mountain announces Twisted Colossus - Southern California's Six Flags Magic Mountain announced that they are transforming their classic wooden coaster into a record-breaking wooden/steel hybrid.
- Disneyland adds Frozen pre-parade to Mickey's Halloween Party - The stars of Frozen will appear on their special pre-parade float prior to each Mickey's Costume Party cavalcade.
- Blog - Disneyland Good Neighbor Hotel - Cortona Inn & Suites
- Blog - Disneyland Weekly Update - 08/25/14
- New drawbridge for Sleeping Beauty Castle
Sleeping Beauty Castle has received a new drawbridge and railings.
- Magic Mountain's Colossus Catches Fire
The Colossus roller coaster at Magic Mountain caught fire today. No injuries were reported.
- Military resource support group launches for Disney cast members
The group launched at both Disneyland and Walt Disney World.
- Eight new "Disney Family of Wines" come to California Adventure
The wineries represented all have a personal connection to the Disney name.
- Small fire at Disneyland quickly extinguished
The fire was in a backstage area.