Stem to Stern Wine TastingStem to Stern Wine Tasting:
$12/person Reviewed by John Magi, Webmaster
If a casual, high level overview of wine tasting is what you're looking for, then the Stem to Stern Wine Tasting seminar is definitely for you. This hour-long interactive lesson allows those new to wines the opportunity to experience wine tasting in a non-threatening atmosphere. For one hour, the Disney Cruise Line's sommelier (trained wine experts) walk you through tasting 5 wines and one sparkling wine or Champaign.
Thoroughly enjoyable and educational, this class covered many of the techniques and subtleties involved in choosing and appreciating a wine. The most important lesson learned here - there is no wrong wine. While many people may be intimidated at the through of choosing the wrong wine to go with dinner, these masters of winery explain that it is always best to drink what you like. They also stress the idea that everyone's palate and tastes differ - so don't sweat the small stuff, enjoy the wine that tastes best to you.
Presented in Palo, attendees are greeted to intimate table settings with pre-poured wines, water and cheese (to cleanse the palate). As the course progresses and each sommelier presents a wine, he explains it's origin, history and gives and at least one interesting tid-bit about that wine including some suggested pairings (i.e. what meal(s) that particular wine accompanies best). He then proceeds to walk everyone through observing the look, feel, smell and taste of the wine. While some of the folks attending the lesson spoke up to participate in the evaluation of the wine, most were content to just sit-back, listen and learn.
The course ended with a lesson on how Champaign's and sparkling wines are manufactured (perhaps the most fascinating bit of information I walked away with from the class). We also learned how best to open a bottle of Champaign and, last but not least, how to evaluate it.
Finally, to top off a thoroughly enjoyable experience, pins were distributed to all attendees as souvenirs.
5 glasses of wine, one glass of Champaign, an hours worth of edutainment and a souvenir pin - what more could you ask for to help you enjoy a day at sea?
See AllDIS DISNEY CRUISE UPDATES
- Watch our live broadcast from Disney's Aulani Resort - Tue. May 21 at 8pm EDT - Disney... Beyond The Parks! Come with us as we visit Disney's Aulani Resort, sail on an Alaskan Disney cruise, and take an Adventures By Disney trip! We're kicking off the trip with a live broadcast from Disney's Aulani Resort - Tue. May 21, 2013 8:00pm EDT.
- Onboard credit and half-off deposit for Disney Cruise Line extended - Select 7-night cruises sailing out of Galveston are eligible for an extra onboard credit and a half-off deposit offer.
- Disney Cruise Line offers discounted rates! - Deep discounts offered for Disney cruises for a variety of sail dates and destinations.
See AllDISNEY CRUISE NEWS STORIES
- Enhancements coming to Disney Cruise Line's Magic ship
A complete remodel of the Disney Magic will take place this fall.
- Carnival Ecstasy loses power at sea; Carnival Corp announces enhancements to emergency power systems
After another ship experiences a brief power loss, Carnival Corp. will implement a new program enhancing emergency power capabilities.
- Carnival Triumph breaks loose and sustains more damage
The Carnival Triumph has been docked for repairs and broke loose today, causing damage to the ship's stern.
- Child nearly drowns in pool on Disney Fantasy
Earlier this afternoon, a 4-year-old boy was found "in distress" in the family pool on the Disney Fantasy.
- Cruise Critic honors Disney Fantasy
Disney Fantasy receives several top honors from Cruise Critic.
See AllDCL DISCUSSIONS