Disney's Hollywood Studios - Star Tours
Star Tours: The Adventures Continue
Opened: December 1989
Reopened: May 20th, 2011
Ride length: 5 minutes
Fun Facts: Check out this DISBoards post for a list of easter eggs and homages that can be found in the redesigned Star Tours ride.
A lot of long-time Hollywood Studios fans were dismayed at the prospect of their beloved Star Tours attraction receiving a facelift. The simple fact, however, was that it was incredibly dated and ignored the three recent Star Wars films that exposed a whole new generation to the franchise.
The good news for fans of the original Star Tours is that not a whole lot has changed besides the ride itself. The queue is nearly identical, first taking you past C-3PO and R2D2 hard at work on the Starspeeder 1000. Observant fans might remember the vehicle as the Starspeeder 3000, but since the redesigned Star Tours is meant to take place earlier in the Star Wars timeline, this vehicle is an earlier model. There's a large video screen that displays a list of arrival and departure times and other fun videos, adding to the feeling of being in an airport...or starport, as it were.
Around the corner are some more fun distractions to make you forget you're standing in line. There's a small droid watching luggage move through an x-ray machine. Make sure you watch some of the bags that move through...there are a few fun Disney character appearances. Up on the wall is a "window" where you can watch silhouettes of Star Wars characters pass by. Just before you board your Starspeeder, you'll notice another droid taking body scans. If you listen closely, that droid sure sounds a lot like Patrick Warburton of Seinfeld fame (and your pilot in Soarin'). Then you'll head toward your Starspeeder, picking up your 3D glasses along the way.
The new pre-boarding video is a welcome change from the dated 80's flight attendant video of the original ride. You'll watch a CG video showing how, through a series of mishaps, C-3PO has wound up in the cockpit of your Starspeeder. A CG droid will then tell you all of the necessary safety precautions and you'll be allowed to board.
Once you take flight, it becomes clear that you're unwittingly harboring a Rebel spy. Watch the small video screen on the right to see who it might be. This is where you'll just have to experience the ride for yourself, as there are some surprises that we really don't want to give away. There are 54 different ride combinations you can experience, so each ride should feel slightly different. You may wind up on Hoth, Kashyyyk, Naboo, or Tatooine, among others. As far as characters, you may run into Boba Fett, Chewbacca, Admiral Ackbar, Princess Leia, and even Darth Vader himself. Placing the ride in the timeline between the two film trilogies opens up the story such that you can easily experience a variety of locations and characters without anything feeling out of place.
Once you've landed safely (as safely as C-3PO can land), you exit through the Tatooine Traders gift shop where you can find all of the Star Wars merchandise your heart desires, including a build-your-own Lightsaber station.
All in all, Disney has effectively transformed Star Tours from a nostalgic attraction for older fans of Star Wars into a must-see for guests young and old. While the entire attraction feels fresh and polished, it's still familiar enough that fans of the original need not worry. The only negative is that you'll want to keep riding it over and over to try and see all of the possible scenarios!
Because of the jolting action in this
ride, it is not for expectant mothers or people with back
or neck problems. There is a height restriction of 40"
and children under the age of 7 are not admitted without
an adult. Parents can choose the "switch off" option
Handicapped Accessibility: Guests using ECVs must be able to transfer to a wheelchair for the queue, and then transfer to the ride vehicle.
Tip: Look for the pilot of the original Star Tours ride in the queue. The poor guy is marked as defective!
Opened: October 9, 2007
"Jedi Training Academy" performances take place on the stage located in front of the Star Tours Attraction. 'Jedi Masters' will train children in the use of light sabers. Once these junior Luke Skywalkers become proficient, they'll be challenged by Storm Troopers and Darth Vader.
** Children are no longer chosen randomly for this attraction. You must line up ahead of time and participants are chosen first-come, first-served. Ages 4 - 12 only.
- All 3 remaining weekends sold out for Harambe Nights - July 26, August 2 and August 9 are sold out.
- Annual passholder discount for Spice Road Table - Through 9/17/14, Annual Passholders can get a 30% discount on their bill.
- 2015 Military Ticket Discount info released - Members of the military can purchase 4-day Magic Your Way tickets with Park Hopper option for $177 each.
- Changes to reservation times for Wishes Dessert Party - Reservations are all being set for 6:00pm, no matter when Wishes is taking place. The dessert party will actually take place one hour before Wishes.
- Frozen Summer Fun Premium package is sold out for all remaining dates - This package gives guests at Frozen Summer Fun Live reserved viewing for several events.
- Wild by Design tour to be discontinued after 9/26/14 - This tour takes place at Disney's Animal Kingdom.
- Fantasy Football Convention coming to ESPN Wide World of Sports - The convention will give attendees access to ESPN talent, a live fantasy football draft and more.
- Blog - Sneak Preview of What's Coming to the 2014 Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
- Dates and pricing released for ICE! at Gaylord Palms - Using two million pounds of ice, this Gaylord Palms Resort special ticket exhibit will be transformed into the North Pole.
- Blog - Disney's Magical Express Age Limit Changes: A Parent's & Teacher's Perspective
- Blog - Five Reasons Why We're Not Seeing "Planes: Fire & Rescue" in Theaters
- Blog updated - I Just Spent $20 on FastPasses! Would You? - The author has taken the tour she discussed in the blog - check out her thoughts to see if she would do this again!
- Harambe Nights sold out this weekend - Harambe Nights is sold out for the weekend of July 19. Tickets are still available for the remaining weekends.
- Blog - July 2014 Magic Kingdom Construction Update
- Information for Food & Wine Festival special dining experiences - book 7/31 - Premium events will be announced July 24 and can be booked on July 31 beginning at 7:00am EST. To book, call 407-WDW-FEST (939-3378).
- Princess Half Marathon fills in less than 24 hours - The Princess Half Marathon, the Princess Enchanted 10K and the Glass Slipper Challenge are sold out, filling less than 24 hours after registration opened.
- Registration now open for Disney's Princess Half Marathon Weekend - Registration is already filling up. Prices are listed here and will go up after a certain date.
- Seats still remaining for Epcot International Food & Wine Festival Sneak Preview - Sample food's from this year's Festival and hear speakers discussing the new marketplaces, special events and more!
- Dolphins at Epcot will be offstage through August 7 - Guests will not be able to see the dolphins at The Seas with Nemo & Friends. The Dolphins in Depth Tour will be unavailable during this time as well.
- Changes in parking due to Downtown Disney Remodel - Speeds in the area will be reduced, as well as lanes closed. Buena Vista Drive will be expanded to 10 lanes.
- Blog - Disney Responds to Disability Access Service Lawsuit
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Magic Kingdom Turnstiles - Main St. Station - Wish you were at Disney today? Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Magic Kingdom Turnstiles - Main St. Station.
- Less than a month left to book a Disney vacation with free dining! - Guests can book a Walt Disney World room and ticket vacation package that includes a stay at a Walt Disney World resort, and receive the Dining Plan for free!
- Backstage package begins today Cirque du Soleil - Package is available for 6:00 performances on Fridays and Saturdays.
- Create a personalized Coca-Cola label at Club Cool - Guests at Walt Disney World will be able to create a personalized label for a 7.5 oz Coca-Cola can.
- Blog - Like This at Walt Disney World? Try That at Universal Orlando.
- Viewing locations for final World Cup games - The final three games will be shown in multiple locations.
- Blog - Some Dos and Don'ts of Frozen Summer Fun
- Candlelight Processional dining package info released - Information includes list of restaurants and approximate prices. Reserved fireworks viewing is not included this year.
- Minor changes to menu at Harambe Nights party - The lamb chops with tamarind pomegranate sauce will no longer be served. A Moroccan beef kefta dish will be served at the buffet after the show instead of the pre-show reception.
- Blog - I Just Spent $20 on FastPasses! Would You?
- It's Tough to be a Bug closes for refurb - The Animal Kingdom attraction will be closed from 7/7/14 - 8/11/14.
- Photos of Oaken's Trading Post and merchandise available at Frozen Summer Fun - We've added merchandise photos and photos of Oaken's Trading Post to our blog on this event.
- VIDEO: Anna and Elsa's Royal Welcome featuring Kristoff at Frozen Summer Fun - Frozen Summer Fun has come to Disney's Hollywood Studios and the first daily event is a Royal Welcome parade for Anna and Elsa with a special appearance by Kristoff. At the end of the parade, the two princesses appear on the Sorcerer Mickey hat stage for a sing-along of "Let It Go" with Olaf!
- New backstage package offered at Cirque du Soleil - This $250 package includes ticket, snacks, gift bag and backstage meet and greet.
- Minimum age lowered to travel solo on Magical Express - The minimum age to travel alone on Magical Express has been lowered to age 12 from age 16.
- Flying Fish Cafe to serve breakfast this fall - Reservations are now being accepted for 10/1 - 12/7/14.
- Florida residents can save 35% on a Room Only reservation - Florida residents can save when booking a room-only reservation at select Walt Disney World resorts for stays most nights July 2014 - September 2014.
- Premium Package added for Frozen Summer Fun Live - Package will include reserved seating and viewing for three of the day's events.
- Changes to PhotoPass print packages at restaurants - Beginning 7/27/14, PhotoPass print packages will no longer be offered table-side at Chef Mickey's, 1900 Park Fare, 'Ohana, Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue, Disney's Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show and Tusker House Restaurant.
- Time schedule announced for Frozen Summer Fun Live at Hollywood Studios - The world of Frozen is taking over Hollywood Studios this summer. Spend the day enjoying these brand-new interactive experiences.
- Extended operating hours for monorail for 4th of July holiday - The monorail will have extended operating hours on July 3-5.
- Garden View Tea Room at Grand Floridian to undergo refurb - Garden View Tea Room closed 6/30/14 - 8/29/14. Perfectly Princess Tea Party will take place at Citricos.
- Partial list of Candlelight Processional narrators announced - Sharon Stone and Ana Gasteyer are new additions this year.
- Blog - Making the Most Out of a Summer Trip to Walt Disney World
- 4th of July Craft beer event at the Swan and Dolphin Hotel - Eight different brews will be on tap as the hotel partners with Cigar City Brewing of Tampa.
- July merchandise events and signings at the Walt Disney World Resort - Disney artists will sign their work at locations around Walt Disney World.
- Two new VIP tours added at Walt Disney World - The Ultimate Day of Thrills - A VIP Tour Experience and The Ultimate Day for Young Families - A VIP Tour Experience will both take guests to three parks, giving them VIP access to several attractions.
- Cinderella's Royal Table to be closed for 2 months - The character dining restaurant will be closed for refurbishment 1/5/2015 - 3/6/2015.
- Blog - FROZEN Summer Fun LIVE! Coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios
- Several dates sold out for Animal Kingdom's Harambe Nights - Premium seating is sold out for all dates. General seating is sold out for 6/28 and 7/5.
- Several changes made to park hours for rest of 2014 - Many changes have been made to Extra Magic Hours, as well as park hours extended and more Fantasmic and Main Street Electrical performances added.
- Several refurb dates planned for Winter Summerland mini golf course - The summer course will be closed for several dates throughout the summer.
- Parking lot construction at Animal Kingdom through September - The lot will be expanded in anticipation of larger crowds with the additions coming to the park.
- Agent P World Showcase Adventure to utilize smartphones - Beginning 6/27/14, the current flip phones will be replaced with smartphones.
- Another new meet and greet location for Snow White - She can now be seen on the front porch of Town Square Theater.
- Blog - Downtown Disney - Land of construction walls and cranes
- Blog - Disney Park Favorites in New Vinylmation Park Starz 3
- Rock Your Summer Side Dance Party at Hollywood Studios - This dance party will take place nightly from 6:00-10:00pm.
- Details for 4th of July at Walt Disney World - The parks will have special fireworks shows and Disney characters dressed in patriotic costumes.
- Ticket discounts for Cirque du Soleil - Discounted tickets are available for performances July 1-19, July 14, July 23-Sept 13, Sept 23-27, 2014.
- Summer discounts available for Walt Disney World golf courses - Play early in the day and save on a round of golf.
- Partial character list scheduled for Villains Unleashed event - Villains can be seen in stage shows, character greetings, and more.
- Price increases to $15/hour at Disney's Children's Activity Centers - This is at Club Disney at the Polynesian, Simba's Cubhouse at Animal Kingdom Lodge, Sandcastle Club at the Beach Club, and Cub's Den at the Wilderness Lodge.
- Tables in Wonderland hosts Epcot Food & Wine Festival Preview Event - Sample food's from this year's Festival and hear speakers discussing the new marketplaces, special events and more.
- Wilderness Lodge main pool closing from 9/3-11/27/14 - Main Pool closed 9/3/2014- 11/27/2014. Guests may use the pool at Fort Wilderness or the Contemporary. Transportation will be provided.
- Disney's second quarter injury report: 12-year-old boy cuts fingers on Pirates ride
- 30 years in prison for man who molested girl at SeaWorld
- Possible agreement reached between Disney and unions
- Disney's CEO Bob Iger honored as CEO of the Year by Chief Executive magazine
- Trattoria al Forno to replace Cat Cora's Kouzzina at Disney World
- Technical glitch causes Universal's Transformers ride to stall
- Report: Monorail evacuated after lightning strike
- Military resource support group launches for Disney cast members
- Magic Kingdom guest got tips of fingers cut off on Pirates of the Caribbean
- Elizabeth Mitchell cast on Once Upon A Time
Today's Theme Park Hours
Epcot Future World:
Epcot World Showcase:
|9:00 - 12:00
9:00 - 9:00
11:00 - 9:00
9:00 - 10:00
9:00 - 8:00
9:00 - 8:00
9:00 - 8:00
Extra Magic Hours Morning: Epcot FW