Disney's Hollywood Studios - Star Tours
Star Tours: The Adventures Continue
Opened: December 1989
Reopened: May 20th, 2011
Ride length: 5 minutes
Fun Facts: Check out this DISBoards post for a list of easter eggs and homages that can be found in the redesigned Star Tours ride.
A lot of long-time Hollywood Studios fans were dismayed at the prospect of their beloved Star Tours attraction receiving a facelift. The simple fact, however, was that it was incredibly dated and ignored the three recent Star Wars films that exposed a whole new generation to the franchise.
The good news for fans of the original Star Tours is that not a whole lot has changed besides the ride itself. The queue is nearly identical, first taking you past C-3PO and R2D2 hard at work on the Starspeeder 1000. Observant fans might remember the vehicle as the Starspeeder 3000, but since the redesigned Star Tours is meant to take place earlier in the Star Wars timeline, this vehicle is an earlier model. There's a large video screen that displays a list of arrival and departure times and other fun videos, adding to the feeling of being in an airport...or starport, as it were.
Around the corner are some more fun distractions to make you forget you're standing in line. There's a small droid watching luggage move through an x-ray machine. Make sure you watch some of the bags that move through...there are a few fun Disney character appearances. Up on the wall is a "window" where you can watch silhouettes of Star Wars characters pass by. Just before you board your Starspeeder, you'll notice another droid taking body scans. If you listen closely, that droid sure sounds a lot like Patrick Warburton of Seinfeld fame (and your pilot in Soarin'). Then you'll head toward your Starspeeder, picking up your 3D glasses along the way.
The new pre-boarding video is a welcome change from the dated 80's flight attendant video of the original ride. You'll watch a CG video showing how, through a series of mishaps, C-3PO has wound up in the cockpit of your Starspeeder. A CG droid will then tell you all of the necessary safety precautions and you'll be allowed to board.
Once you take flight, it becomes clear that you're unwittingly harboring a Rebel spy. Watch the small video screen on the right to see who it might be. This is where you'll just have to experience the ride for yourself, as there are some surprises that we really don't want to give away. There are 54 different ride combinations you can experience, so each ride should feel slightly different. You may wind up on Hoth, Kashyyyk, Naboo, or Tatooine, among others. As far as characters, you may run into Boba Fett, Chewbacca, Admiral Ackbar, Princess Leia, and even Darth Vader himself. Placing the ride in the timeline between the two film trilogies opens up the story such that you can easily experience a variety of locations and characters without anything feeling out of place.
Once you've landed safely (as safely as C-3PO can land), you exit through the Tatooine Traders gift shop where you can find all of the Star Wars merchandise your heart desires, including a build-your-own Lightsaber station.
All in all, Disney has effectively transformed Star Tours from a nostalgic attraction for older fans of Star Wars into a must-see for guests young and old. While the entire attraction feels fresh and polished, it's still familiar enough that fans of the original need not worry. The only negative is that you'll want to keep riding it over and over to try and see all of the possible scenarios!
Because of the jolting action in this
ride, it is not for expectant mothers or people with back
or neck problems. There is a height restriction of 40"
and children under the age of 7 are not admitted without
an adult. Parents can choose the "switch off" option
Handicapped Accessibility: Guests using ECVs must be able to transfer to a wheelchair for the queue, and then transfer to the ride vehicle.
Tip: Look for the pilot of the original Star Tours ride in the queue. The poor guy is marked as defective!
Opened: October 9, 2007
"Jedi Training Academy" performances take place on the stage located in front of the Star Tours Attraction. 'Jedi Masters' will train children in the use of light sabers. Once these junior Luke Skywalkers become proficient, they'll be challenged by Storm Troopers and Darth Vader.
** Children are no longer chosen randomly for this attraction. You must line up ahead of time and participants are chosen first-come, first-served. Ages 4 - 12 only.
- Happy 15th Birthday to Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith! - The attraction originally opened its doors at Disney’s Hollywood Studios on July 29, 1999.
- Victoria & Albert's will no longer accept Tables in Wonderland - This begins August 1, 2014.
- Summertime Pals Ink & Paint Cel release - This limited release will be available at the event, or pre-order by September 25 at 5:00pm EST.
- Haunted Mansion merchandise shop coming to Magic Kingdom - The former Yankee Trader shop will become a Haunted Mansion merchandise location in the near future. The decor will be inspired by Madame Leota and will carry items from the Haunted Mansion Authentic program, such as apparel, home goods, souvenirs and more.
- Merchandise Events and Artist Appearances/Signings for August - List of authors and artists coming to the theme parks for signings and merchandise releases.
- List of characters updated for Villains Unleashed! event - Over 50 Disney villains will be taking over the park until the 13th hour!
- Beginning today, PhotoPass print packages are no longer offered table-side at character meals - This includes Chef Mickey's, 1900 Park Fare, 'Ohana, Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue, Disney's Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show and Tusker House Restaurant.
- Disney Visa cardholders can book Food & Wine Festival events early - Disney Visa cardholders can book special events two days earlier than the general public - on July 29 and July 30 from 7:00am-11:00pm EST.
- Tables in Wonderland adds blackout dates for several restaurants - The Tables in Wonderland program offers Florida Residents, DVC members and Annual Passholders 20% off of all food and beverage purchases at the participating Disney restaurants.
- Information on Holiday sleigh rides at Fort Wilderness - This horse-drawn "sleigh" ride is a fun way to celebrate the season.
- Marketplace menus for Epot International Food & Wine Festival - List of menu items for the marketplaces set up around World Showcase.
- Rehab planned in November for Magic Carpets of Aladdin - The Magic Kingdom attraction will be closed 11/10 - 11/21/2014.
- Food & Wine Festival Special Dining Experiences released - Bookings for these experiences begin July 31.
- 10 Places to Wait Out a Thunderstorm at Walt Disney World
- Disney Castaway Cay Challenge added to Princess Half Marathon Weekend - Runners who are registered for any of the Disney races (5K or longer) during the Weekend have the option to complete the Disney Castaway Cay Challenge when sailing on the Disney Dream February 23-27.
- Fantasia Miniature Golf Course rehab planned off and on for the next two weeks - Gardens Course closed 7/22-7/25/2014, 7/28-8/1/2014, 8/4-8/8/2014. The Fairways will still be open.
- Blog - I Can Go The Distance: Deciding is one thing, registering is another
- Save up to 30% on a Room Only reservation at Walt Disney World! - Valid for stays most nights 10/4/14 - 11/25/14 and 11/29/14 - 12/23/14.
- 2015 WDW hotel discount released for U.S. Military - Valid for stays most nights 9/28/14 - 10/3/15.
- All 3 remaining weekends sold out for Harambe Nights - July 26, August 2 and August 9 are sold out.
- Annual passholder discount for Spice Road Table - Through 9/17/14, Annual Passholders can get a 30% discount on their bill.
- 2015 Military Ticket Discount info released - Members of the military can purchase 4-day Magic Your Way tickets with Park Hopper option for $177 each.
- Changes to reservation times for Wishes Dessert Party - Reservations are all being set for 6:00pm, no matter when Wishes is taking place. The dessert party will actually take place one hour before Wishes.
- Frozen Summer Fun Premium package is sold out for all remaining dates - This package gives guests at Frozen Summer Fun Live reserved viewing for several events.
- Wild by Design tour to be discontinued after 9/26/14 - This tour takes place at Disney's Animal Kingdom.
- Fantasy Football Convention coming to ESPN Wide World of Sports - The convention will give attendees access to ESPN talent, a live fantasy football draft and more.
- Blog - Sneak Preview of What's Coming to the 2014 Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
- Dates and pricing released for ICE! at Gaylord Palms - Using two million pounds of ice, this Gaylord Palms Resort special ticket exhibit will be transformed into the North Pole.
- Blog - Disney's Magical Express Age Limit Changes: A Parent's & Teacher's Perspective
- Blog - Five Reasons Why We're Not Seeing "Planes: Fire & Rescue" in Theaters
- Blog updated - I Just Spent $20 on FastPasses! Would You? - The author has taken the tour she discussed in the blog - check out her thoughts to see if she would do this again!
- Blog - July 2014 Magic Kingdom Construction Update
- Information for Food & Wine Festival special dining experiences - book 7/31 - Premium events will be announced July 24 and can be booked on July 31 beginning at 7:00am EST. To book, call 407-WDW-FEST (939-3378).
- Princess Half Marathon fills in less than 24 hours - The Princess Half Marathon, the Princess Enchanted 10K and the Glass Slipper Challenge are sold out, filling less than 24 hours after registration opened.
- Dolphins at Epcot will be offstage through August 7 - Guests will not be able to see the dolphins at The Seas with Nemo & Friends. The Dolphins in Depth Tour will be unavailable during this time as well.
- Changes in parking due to Downtown Disney Remodel - Speeds in the area will be reduced, as well as lanes closed. Buena Vista Drive will be expanded to 10 lanes.
- Blog - Disney Responds to Disability Access Service Lawsuit
- High-speed train will link Shanghai Disneyland to city
- "Clyde and Seamore Take Pirate Island" show cancelled at SeaWorld
- PBS plans Walt Disney biopic
- Release date set for 5th Pirates of the Caribbean film
- Man arrested at Typhoon Lagoon for molesting 4 teenage girls
- Standby line to be cut off in Anna and Elsa meet and greet
- Disney's second quarter injury report: 12-year-old boy cuts fingers on Pirates ride
- 30 years in prison for man who molested girl at SeaWorld
- Possible agreement reached between Disney and unions
- Disney's CEO Bob Iger honored as CEO of the Year by Chief Executive magazine
Today's Theme Park Hours
Epcot Future World:
Epcot World Showcase:
|9:00 - 11:00
9:00 - 9:00
11:00 - 9:00
9:00 - 10:00
9:00 - 7:00
9:00 - 8:00
9:00 - 8:00
Extra Magic Hours Morning: Epcot FW