Disney's Hollywood Studios - Star Tours
Star Tours: The Adventures Continue
Opened: December 1989
Reopened: May 20th, 2011
Ride length: 5 minutes
Fun Facts: Check out this DISBoards post for a list of easter eggs and homages that can be found in the redesigned Star Tours ride.
A lot of long-time Hollywood Studios fans were dismayed at the prospect of their beloved Star Tours attraction receiving a facelift. The simple fact, however, was that it was incredibly dated and ignored the three recent Star Wars films that exposed a whole new generation to the franchise.
The good news for fans of the original Star Tours is that not a whole lot has changed besides the ride itself. The queue is nearly identical, first taking you past C-3PO and R2D2 hard at work on the Starspeeder 1000. Observant fans might remember the vehicle as the Starspeeder 3000, but since the redesigned Star Tours is meant to take place earlier in the Star Wars timeline, this vehicle is an earlier model. There's a large video screen that displays a list of arrival and departure times and other fun videos, adding to the feeling of being in an airport...or starport, as it were.
Around the corner are some more fun distractions to make you forget you're standing in line. There's a small droid watching luggage move through an x-ray machine. Make sure you watch some of the bags that move through...there are a few fun Disney character appearances. Up on the wall is a "window" where you can watch silhouettes of Star Wars characters pass by. Just before you board your Starspeeder, you'll notice another droid taking body scans. If you listen closely, that droid sure sounds a lot like Patrick Warburton of Seinfeld fame (and your pilot in Soarin'). Then you'll head toward your Starspeeder, picking up your 3D glasses along the way.
The new pre-boarding video is a welcome change from the dated 80's flight attendant video of the original ride. You'll watch a CG video showing how, through a series of mishaps, C-3PO has wound up in the cockpit of your Starspeeder. A CG droid will then tell you all of the necessary safety precautions and you'll be allowed to board.
Once you take flight, it becomes clear that you're unwittingly harboring a Rebel spy. Watch the small video screen on the right to see who it might be. This is where you'll just have to experience the ride for yourself, as there are some surprises that we really don't want to give away. There are 54 different ride combinations you can experience, so each ride should feel slightly different. You may wind up on Hoth, Kashyyyk, Naboo, or Tatooine, among others. As far as characters, you may run into Boba Fett, Chewbacca, Admiral Ackbar, Princess Leia, and even Darth Vader himself. Placing the ride in the timeline between the two film trilogies opens up the story such that you can easily experience a variety of locations and characters without anything feeling out of place.
Once you've landed safely (as safely as C-3PO can land), you exit through the Tatooine Traders gift shop where you can find all of the Star Wars merchandise your heart desires, including a build-your-own Lightsaber station.
All in all, Disney has effectively transformed Star Tours from a nostalgic attraction for older fans of Star Wars into a must-see for guests young and old. While the entire attraction feels fresh and polished, it's still familiar enough that fans of the original need not worry. The only negative is that you'll want to keep riding it over and over to try and see all of the possible scenarios!
Because of the jolting action in this
ride, it is not for expectant mothers or people with back
or neck problems. There is a height restriction of 40"
and children under the age of 7 are not admitted without
an adult. Parents can choose the "switch off" option
Handicapped Accessibility: Guests using ECVs must be able to transfer to a wheelchair for the queue, and then transfer to the ride vehicle.
Tip: Look for the pilot of the original Star Tours ride in the queue. The poor guy is marked as defective!
Opened: October 9, 2007
"Jedi Training Academy" performances take place on the stage located in front of the Star Tours Attraction. 'Jedi Masters' will train children in the use of light sabers. Once these junior Luke Skywalkers become proficient, they'll be challenged by Storm Troopers and Darth Vader.
** Children are no longer chosen randomly for this attraction. You must line up ahead of time and participants are chosen first-come, first-served. Ages 4 - 12 only.
- Blog - Ranking our 5 Senses in Disney's Theme Parks
- Spots still available at Tables in Wonderland event on April 19 - This buffet will bring Tables in Wonderland members together during the Festival for dinner and drinks, then you will head to the Flower Power Concert series to hear the sounds of The Grass Roots.
- Menu items for Epcot After Hours Wind Down - Tickets, which can be reserved in advance, include one beverage and a selection of light snacks.
- Rehabs planned for two of Disney's golf courses - Disney's Magnolia Golf Course and Disney's Oak Trail Golf Course will be closed 5/21 - 6/4/2014.
- Guests at the Swan and Dolphin can now book their FastPass+ 60 days in advance - Onsite resort guests and guests at the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin can make FastPass+ reservations up to 60 days in advance. Annual Passholders and offsite guests can make their reservations up to 30 days in advance.
- Blog - Actors Fund Gala Tickets Honoring Disney Theatricals on Sale Now
- Changes to Earl of Sandwich menu - Prices have increased by about 50 cents per sandwich. New sandwiches have been added and others have been removed.
- Epcot After Hours Wind Down lounges to be available - Stick around after IllumiNations for an evening at one of 4 exclusive lounges featuring food and beverages from award-winning Epcot chefs and sommeliers.
- Annual passholders can save up to 35% on WDW hotels, plus get free Memory Maker photos! - Guests will save up to 35% on their room, plus get free Memory Maker digital photos. Discount is valid for travel between 6/16/14 - 8/2/14.
- Blog - VIDEO: Disney reveals first look at animatronics and scenes inside Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
- Meet the Easter Bunny at the Magic Kingdom April 13-20 - The Easter Bunny will also have a special pre-parade appearance on 4/19 and 4/20/14. He will be joined by other springtime characters, dancers and the Azalea Trail Maids.
- Carbon-Freeze Me experience at Star Wars Weekends to offer X-Wing Pilots and more - In addition to the carbonite figure, last year's Stormtrooper will be available, as well as two new figurines - an Alderaan Princess and X-Wing Pilot.
- Blog - Third Annual Easter Egg Display at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
- Easter activities and special dining menus at Walt Disney World resorts - List of events planned at Walt Disney World resorts.
- Blog - Disney Infinity Teases Marvel & Confirms Version 2.0
- October 2014 Walt Disney World park hours released - List of times for parades, fireworks, and park hours.
- Blog - What To Expect When You're...Cruising with Disney and a Baby: Part 2
- Big Thunder Mountain closed for 2 days for rehab - The attraction will be closed 4/7-4/9/14.
- Surprising your family with a trip to Disney? Check out our tips! - Surprising the kids with a Disney vacation is part of the thrill for some parents. Others would love to do it, but aren’t sure how to pull it off. Here are some different approaches to creating that special surprise for your family!
- Blog - New Lawsuit Attacks Disney’s New Disability Access Service
- VIDEO: Illuminations Sparkling Dessert Party at Epcot - Enjoy a special fireworks viewing area and desserts from around World Showcase paired with sparkling wines.
- Tables in Wonderland event at Golden Oak's Markham's restaurant - For this special evening, guests will dine at the exclusive Markham's restaurant at Disney's Golden Oak Club, Walt Disney World's private residential community.
- Blog - Review: Epcot's new IllumiNations Sparkling Dessert Party
- Blog - Review: Epcot Gardens of the World Tour
- Dates announced for Sounds Like Summer Concert series - The Sounds Like Summer Concert Series features some of the greatest tribute bands rockin' to U2, The Bee Gees, the Eagles and many more during select nights from June to July.
- Night of Joy tickets now on sale - Disney's Night of Joy features contemporary Christian performers. The star-studded lineup is always outstanding and features a host of Dove Award and Grammy Award winning artists.
- Blog - DVC Owner To File Class Action Demanding More FastPass+ Experiences
- Blog - Walt Disney World is now selling MagicBands to Offsite Day Guests
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - World Showcase - The American Adventure - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at World Showcase - The American Adventure, February 12, 2014 - Afternoon.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - World Showcase - Italy - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at World Showcase - Italy, February 12, 2014 - Afternoon
- Parking prices increase at Walt Disney World - Prices have increased $2 for each category.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Echo Lake - Academy Hall of Fame - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Echo Lake - Academy Hall of Fame, February 12, 2014 - Morning
- Cirque du Soleil discount offered for Tables in Wonderland members - Discounted tickets are available for performances April 1-May 10 and May 27-June 28, 2014.
- Tables in Wonderland Flower and Garden Festival Special Dining Event - This buffet will bring Tables in Wonderland members together during the Festival for dinner and drinks, then you will head to the Flower Power Concert series to hear the sounds of The Grass Roots.
- Fittipaldi Cup racing event planned for Walt Disney World Speedway - The Exotic Driving Experience and 2014 Rolex 24 winner Christian Fittipaldi are putting on a half-day racing event at the Walt Disney World Speedway.
- Grand Floridian hosts Edible Easter Egg Display - This is the third year the resort has hosted the display of hand-painted edible Easter eggs; the eggs are 16 to 20 inches tall.
- Star Wars-themed character meals at Hollywood Studios! - For a limited time, guests will have the opportunity to dine with Star Wars characters or Disney characters dressed up in their Star Wars costumes.
- New 2015 Disney Crusie Line Destinations - Disney Cruise Line has added new destinations for 2015! For the first time, the Disney Magic will set sail for Northern Europe, visiting the Norwegian fjords, Iceland and the Faroe Islands. Seven- and nine-night sailings will depart from Copenhagen, Denmark and will immerse guests in the Viking history of this mystical land, which served as the backdrop for Disney's blockbuster film Frozen. Sail past mountains, glaciers, geysers and fjords and stop in port cities reminiscent of storybook villages.
- Kouzzina by Cat Cora to close September 30 - A new restaurant will open in its place this fall.
- Blog - Saying Farewell to Mickey's Jammin' Jungle Parade at Animal Kingdom
- Blog - The Dream of Retiring to Central Florida
- Egg-stravaganza Easter egg hunt planned for Epcot - Search for special hidden Disney character "eggs" at Epcot.
- Blog - Review: “Muppets Most Wanted” Now Touring Worldwide and in Theaters!
- Blog - Five Reasons You Should Go See 'Muppets Most Wanted' This Weekend
- Mark Hamill - Luke Skywalker - will be attending Star Wars Weekends! - This will be the actor's first appearance at Star Wars Weekends.
- PEEPS-themed Easter events planned for the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin - The resort will be celebrating a PEEPtastic week 4/16 - 4/20/14.
- Brunch planned to debut new Disney Collection by Vera Bradley design - "Mickey's Perfect Petals" will be showcased at the brunch and will be available for purchase.
- Blog - New Frozen Merchandise at Disney Parks
- Extended preview of Maleficent film at Disney's Hollywood Studios - The upcoming Maleficent film, starring Angelina Jolie, opens in theaters May 30. Theme park guests can see an extended preview of the film beginning April 18 and running through mid-June.
- Food Truck Park to open at Downtown Disney - The Food Truck Park is currently under construction and should open this summer between Bongos and Starbucks.
- Blog - Review: Disney's 'Saving Mr. Banks' Now Available On Blu-ray, DVD, & Digital Download
- Blog - Review: "Frozen" Blu-ray Hits Shelves
- Blog - Top 10 Reasons Why March 18th Is The Best Day Ever For Disney Fans
- SeaWorld Orlando offers summer camps for kids
- Walt Disney World offers new contract to unions
- Disneyland restaurants honored by food critics
- SeaWorld to host Viva la Musica Festival
- Disney plans baseball pitching contest for $1 million prize
- Court denies SeaWorld's appeal of OSHA ruling
- Samsung Smart TV app available for Disney Parks
- Disney Cruise Line crew member arrested for alleged molestation
- Record number of visitors to Orlando in 2013
- Disney releases CGI video of new Seven Dwarfs Mine Train attraction
Today's Theme Park Hours
Epcot Future World:
Epcot World Showcase:
|8:00 - 1:00
9:00 - 9:00
11:00 - 9:00
8:00 - 9:30
9:00 - 8:00
10 - 7:00
10:00 - 7:00
Extra Magic Hours Morning: Magic Kingdom
Extra Magic Hour Evening: Magic Kingdom