Walt Disney World Resort Comparisons
Value, Moderate, Deluxe, Deluxe Villas, Confused???
You picked your vacation dates and this year you’re heading to Walt Disney World. Next comes the “easy” part, choosing your Disney resort. It’s only one place, how many choices can there be, right? Well, there are 5 Value Resorts, 4 Moderate Resorts, 8 Deluxe Resorts and 8 Home Away From Home Resorts. Add them up and there are 23 resorts to choose from. YIKES!
Let’s begin with an overview of what all of the resorts have in common. Guests staying at any Disney owned resort who are flying into the Orlando airport can take advantage of Magical Express. This complimentary service shuttles you to and from your Disney resort and the airport.
Speaking of the parks, do you really want to spend your vacation sitting in traffic waiting to get into the parking lot that’s the size of Rhode Island? Guests staying at Disney Resorts can use the buses, monorails and/or water ferries to get to their destination.
Charging privileges are another big plus. When you check in, you give the front desk the credit card you plan on using and they can code any or all of your group’s resort IDs with that card information. If you split up during the day, you don’t have to concern yourself with how the rest of the family is going to pay for their purchases. They can use their ID.
Ever see anyone carrying so many packages around that they look like a pack mule? Not a lot of fun when you’re getting on and off rides. Guests staying at a Disney resort can have their purchases delivered to their hotel.
“Disney Magic” may sound hokey, but there’s a lot to be said for it. No matter which resort you select, from the minute you arrive there’s a touch of Mickey everywhere, including your wake up call. You can expect to hear a familiar cartoon voice telling you to rise and shine.
Those are some of the amenities that the resorts share. Now let’s move onto the different categories and what you can expect.
(First consideration, count heads. If there are 4 or less in your party, any resort will work. If there are 5 or more, you have to choose a resort that can accommodate all of you. Mickey doesn’t do rollaway beds.)
If “Value” brings up visions of the Motel 6 your family stopped at on the way to Aunt Edwina’s, relax. These are “resorts” not simply “hotels.” The rooms average 260 sq. ft. and have either two double beds or a king bed. There are themed pools, playground, a shop and food court. While fairly basic, the many touches of Disney whimsy create a fun atmosphere. If your family needs a little more room at a value price, the Art of Animation Resort offers themed family suites, with space for up to six guests in two separate bedrooms.
The Moderate resorts are a step up when it comes to decor. Beautiful gardens are the norm with wonderful architectural details that convey that resort’s theme. The rooms average 314 sq. ft, and have either two double beds or a king bed. The Moderate resorts have a small built in refrigerator in each guest room. The artfully-designed pools have slides, there’s a playground, food court, and a full service restaurant. The Coronado Springs and Caribbean Beach resorts are situated around sparkling lakes. At either of the Port Orleans resorts guests can take water transportation to Downtown Disney.
The Deluxe Villas include all of the Disney Vacation Club (DVC) properties and the Ft. Wilderness Cabins. The DVC accommodations range from a studio with small kitchenette for parties up to 4, to deluxe villas that can comfortably hold parties of 12. In between are the one bedroom units that can hold 4 and the two bedroom units that can hold 8. With the exception of the studios, these units have washer/dryers, fully equipped kitchens, Jacuzzi tubs, table/chairs, living room, two or more TV’s, and the larger units have two or more bathrooms. The Ft. Wilderness Cabins can accommodate up to 6 with a set of bunk beds, double bed and a pull down double bed in the living room. There’s a fully equipped kitchen and a single bathroom.
Probably the hardest to choose from are the Deluxe resorts. You can go on an “African Safari” or head to a “South Seas Island.” The theming of the Deluxe resorts is one of the many features that sets them apart from the rest. From the New England seaside to turn of the century Victorian elegance, whatever your vacation style you’re bound to find a deluxe resort to match your tastes.
The Disney Deluxe resorts have valet parking, bell staff, concierge services, restaurants, lounges, spacious rooms, suites, room service, shops, and impeccable grounds to stroll around. Most offer water sports, bike rentals and have onsite childcare centers. All are close to at least one of the Disney theme parks.
Take the time to look at the different resort descriptions on the DIS. No matter which one you choose, the Disney resorts have a lot to offer.
- VIDEO: DIS Unplugged - Live From Aulani - 05/21/13 - Follow along with us as we go beyond the parks!
- Blog - 7 in 7: Art of Animation Resort
- VIDEO: Disney Beyond The Parks - Producing the Aulani Live Show - Visit http://www.wdwinfo.com/beyondtheparks/#hawaii to view the full DIS Unplugged show from Aulani in Hawaii. For the latest updates on our trip to Aulani and Hawaii, visit http://new.livestream.com/TheDIS/aulani Join the DIS Team as we explore Disney beyond the parks, starting with Aulani, a Disney Resort and Spa in Hawaii!
- Follow along as the DIS goes... Beyond The Parks!! - Members of the DIS Unplugged podcast team are headed to Disney's Aulani Resort, sailing on an Alaskan Disney cruise and taking an Adventures by Disney Backstage Magic trip!
- Blog - Help! A Walt Disney World Vet’s First Time at Disneyland – Part 5
- Watch our live broadcast from Disney's Aulani Resort - Tue. May 21 at 8pm EDT - Disney... Beyond The Parks! Come with us as we visit Disney's Aulani Resort, sail on an Alaskan Disney cruise, and take an Adventures By Disney trip! We're kicking off the trip with a live broadcast from Disney's Aulani Resort - Tue. May 21, 2013 8:00pm EDT.
- Livestream coverage of Star Wars Weekends events - Photos and video of Star Wars Weekends at Disney's Hollywood Studios.
- Blog - Star Wars Weekends 2013 comes to Disney’s Hollywood Studios
- Schedule of artists for the Eat to the Beat concerts - As with all Disney events, themed entertainment is part of the festivities. Visitors to the Food and Wine Festival can "Eat to the Beat!"
- Festival of the Masters dates released for November 2013 - This art festival will be held at Downtown Disney November 8-10, 2013.
- Blog - FIRST LOOK: Disney's MyMagic+ MagicBand - The DIS got a first look at Disney's new MagicBands which are part of their MyMagic+ rollout! Take a look at the photos of the MagicBand and a brief review of what we thought about wearing them...
- Blog - Summer Dooney & Bourke Release Update
- Schedule released for Star Wars Weekends - Schedule for the events during Star Wars Weekends.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Disney's Hollywood Studios - Sunset Boulevard - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Walt Disney World.
- Free admission to Blizzard Beach for Annual Passholders today! - Today, May 16, Annual Passholders will get complimentary admission to Disney's Blizzard Beach Water Park after 2:00 pm. Complimentary refreshments and giveaways will take place at Lottawatta Lodge.
- Blog - Moving the Needle at the Orlando Theme Parks
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Magic Kingdom - Crystal Palace - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Walt Disney World.
- Adventurers Outpost meet and greet location opens at Animal Kingdom - The new indoor meet and greet location for Mickey and Minnie is now open in Discovery Island.
- November 2013 Disney World park hours added
- Details released for 2013 Epcot Food and Wine Festival - A Scotland marketplace will be added. Dates for the Party for the Senses, as well as a partial schedule for the Eat to the Beat concerts also released.
- Summer edition coming to Celebrate the Magic show - The summer edition of this show will start later this month, possibly May 24, during the 24-hour Monstrous Summer event.
- Cirque du Soleil closed for refurbishment through May 27 - The next performance of Cirque du Soleil will be May 28.
- Blog - The Contemporary Resort Hotel – Walt Disney World’s Resort Loop Hotels
- Book a trip during the Free Dining promotion! - Free dining is available for check-ins between 9/2 and 9/25/13!
- New operating hours for Splitsville at Downtown Disney - Splitsville, Downtown Disney's luxury bowling alley, has updated its hours of operation.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench Video - Art of Animation - Wheel Well Hotel - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Walt Disney World.
- Typhoon Lagoon to close for refurbishment - Disney's Typhoon Lagoon water park will be closed from May 12 - May 16 for refurbishment.
- Blog - Merida becomes a Disney Princess (Includes Coronation Video)!
- Limited Time Magic: Make a Moment in Time Out of Mother's Day - Stop by Tren-D or the World of Disney Store at Downtown Disney to see the new collection of watches designed just for the occasion. Moms will receive a flower on Mother's Day when they enter the theme parks.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Coronado Springs - Marina Courtyard - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Walt Disney World.
- Life-size rancor replica and three one-man shows coming to Star Wars Weekends - Guests will have a photo op with a replica rancor, Jabba the Hut's prized pet. There will also be three one-man shows performed by some of the celebrity guests.
- 30% off Room Only offer available for the general public! - Guests can save up to 30% when they book a Room Only reservation at select Walt Disney World resorts for most nights 8/15/13 - 9/28/13.
- Free Dining offer available for the general public! - Walt Disney World has announced a Free Dining offer for the general public!
- Raglan Road to host Summer Solstice Celebration - Master Chef Kevin Dundon has created the five-course menu for this meal, celebrating the Summer Solstice with fresh, seasonal flavors. Wines have been chosen for each course. Celebrating the Summer Solstice is a time-honored tradition and marks the official start to summer.
- Blog - Disney’s Animal Kingdom’s Split Personality
- Celebrity list updated for Star Wars Weekends - The list of celebrities appearing at Star Wars Weekends later this month has been updated.
- Truckeria Rolling Tacos food truck parked at Downtown Disney this week - Food is available from 6pm - 11pm and will include tacos, chips and salsa.
- Walt Disney World Annual Passholders can save up to 35% at select hotels - Annual passholders can save up to 35% when booking a Room Only reservation at select Walt Disney World hotels. Discount is valid for travel between 6/4/13 - 8/15/13.
- 30% off Room Only offer for Disney Visa cardholders! - Disney Visa cardholders can save up to 30% when they book a Room Only reservation at select Walt Disney World resorts for most nights 8/15/13 - 9/28/13.
- Free Dining offer announced for Disney Visa cardholders! - Disney Visa cardholders can book a Walt Disney World vacation package for 9/2/13 - 9/25/13 and receive the Disney Dining Plan for free!
- Walt Disney World golf courses offer new Players Club program - For $29 per month, members can use the practice ranges for free and take advantage of free daily golf clinics (Monday-Friday) led by PGA-certified golf instructors, as well as receive other discounts.
- Blog - May the Fourth Be with You: Intergalactic Star Wars Shopping
- Limited Time Magic: Celebrate Cinco de Mayo at Epcot - Meet the Three Caballeros, enjoy live music, marionettes, folkloric dancing and songs by Mariachi Cobre.
- Limited Time Magic: Merida Becomes an Official Disney Princess - In a royal coronation ceremony at the Magic Kingdom, Merida (from the film Brave) will be christened as an official Disney Princess.
- Blog - New Disney Dooney & Bourke Release This Summer
- List of performers for 2013 Night of Joy concerts - Disney’s Night of Joy features contemporary Christian performers. The star-studded lineup is always outstanding and features a host of Dove Award and Grammy Award winning artists.
- Blog - Help! A Walt Disney World Vet’s First Time at Disneyland – Part 4
- "The Simpsons" area officially announced for Universal Orlando
- 11-year-old girl molested on Disney Dream; Disney Cruise Line doesn't report incident promptly
- Disney and Lucasfilm announce new animated Star Wars series
- Walt Disney World uses online job fair to hire employees
- Former Disney World employee arrested on pornography charges
- Half-hour Toy Story special coming to ABC this fall
- Expedition Cafe to open with SeaWorld's Antarctica exhibit
- Tour company uses wheelchairs to promise front of the line access at Walt Disney World?
- Calfornia adjusts safety citations and fines against Disneyland
- Disney and Electronic Arts to produce Star Wars video games
Today's Theme Park Hours
Epcot Future World:
Epcot World Showcase:
|9:00 - 12:00
9:00 - 9:00
11:00 - 9:00
8:00 - 10:00
8:00 - 8:00
10:00 - 6:00
10:00 - 6:00
Extra Magic Hours Morning: Animal Kingdom