Traveling to Disney With a Partner
Who Just Doesn't Get It
by Whitney Yruela
The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Whitney Yruela talks about Traveling to Disney With a Partner
Discuss | RSS Feed | Add to iTunes | Podcast Main
Most people who have a passion for Disney have run into someone who just can't seem to share their enthusiasm, and when this person is your spouse, planning a trip to the parks can present a problem. I myself am married to a Disney stick-in-the-mud, but I have learned a few tips and tricks when it comes to planning and executing a Disney park outing. With a little creativity, it is possible to get your grinch to have some fun at Disney!
The first obstacle you will face is convincing your partner that another trip to Disney will actually be fun. This is always a tough sell. Disney isn't cheap and may not be your partner's idea of a great way to spend hard-earned money and the few days of vacation that they have. When your Disney vacation suggestion is met with the same look that you would have received if you had suggested flying to Antarctica to club seals, you know it will be a tough road ahead. This is where creativity and planning come into play.
If your partner is a foodie, likes golf, Star Wars, gardening or animals, or even if they consider themselves to be a beer aficionado, there are great activities to lure them to Disney with a grin, if not a smile. I really believe that if you look for it, you can find something to please anyone, even for those with the most discriminating tastes. For example, my husband never used to believe there was appealing food at Disney. He had a preconceived notion that it was all fair food - turkey legs, pretzels, cotton candy and the like. After introducing him to a few restaurants within Disney property, he now enjoys them, and this is one of the draws I use to convince him to make a trip to the parks.
If you are looking for a similar lure, take a look at some of the Disney special events like the Food & Wine Festival, Flower & Garden Festival, Star Wars weekends and the behind the scenes tours, just to name a few. You may find something special that appeals to that significant other. When you do find a corresponding interest, plan your trip around that. It may even be that a particular hotel interests them, in which case you could plan to spend more time at the resort.
Also, try not to go park commando on a Disney novice - this will likely frighten them. A lot. A typed itinerary complete with time stamps is what I'm referring to as "commando," but don't fret, dinner reservations won't label you a park commando. A laid back attitude to scheduling works well for my stick-in-the-mud. By planning your trip down to the minute, if your partner sees something he or she wants to explore or ride, they won't have the opportunity for fear of upsetting the schedule. It also tends to turn into a chore for them. Besides, if they find something they enjoy and want to do again, your trip planning next time around is that much easier. What I have learned is that a half-day can still be fun and eventful. My husband can't stand to be in the park from open to close, so part of my bargaining plan is to mention to him that we won't stay the whole day. You don't need to jam all the rides and attractions into one day for it to be special.
My husband does not like character interaction at all. This includes character meals and meet and greets. The fear that they may have to interact with the characters can put off a select group of people, so keep that in mind. When you run across something your partner can't seem to enjoy, try to steer clear of those rides or activities. For the longest time I tried to figure out why my husband disliked the fireworks displays at the end of the night. Finally, I figured it out. The massive crowds all leaving at the same time was very uncomfortable for him. So now we find a secondary spot to view the fireworks, which is nearer to the park exit.
To give you an idea of a non-Disney lover's likes at the parks, I have listed a few of my husband's favorites that I use to convince him to head on over to Disney World (listed in order of ease of persuasion):
Epcot - By far the easiest park to get him to. Drinks around the World Showcase works every single time - he loves this! He also loves the pizza at Via Napoli, so that helps too. The Food & Wine Festival, and even the Flower & Garden Festival, always draw him in.
Hollywood Studios - I have found that this park is pretty easy to get a non-Disney lover to enjoy. You have the Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, Toy Story and Star Tours, all of which my husband enjoys. Toy Story is his favorite here, likely because the ride is interactive and allows you to score points. Plus, if you look hard enough, you can actually find good food here, something I never thought existed at this park but recently found. [Hint: Grilled Vegetable Sandwich at the Backlot Express doesn't sound delicious, but it is!]
Magic Kingdom - There is really only one secret weapon I use for Magic Kingdom: corn dog nuggets at Casey's Corner. My husband loves these and I remind him of them whenever I want to visit the Magic Kingdom. This is actually the only thing he really likes at the Magic Kingdom, so I use this sparingly. If he's really hungry, this will work. He also likes Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin (once again a ride where you earn points like a video game, which is a recurring theme here along with Toy Story), but that isn't a big enough draw to really get him to want to go. He also dislikes the parking setup for Magic Kingdom, which requires you to park at the Transportation and Ticket Center and then take a tram to Magic Kingdom. I usually promise a trip to Epcot after a quick jaunt to Magic Kingdom (complete with corn dog nuggets, of course). I am excited about the new Be Our Guest Restaurant because it will be the first time a restaurant in Magic Kingdom will serve beer and wine with dinner service. This will be draw for my husband and we will definitely check it out. Two of his major complaints about the Magic Kingdom have been the lack of an appealing table service restaurant, along with the park being dry. I am hoping that this new restaurant will satisfy on both counts.
Animal Kingdom - Once again, I tempt him with food. This park used to be a double-whammy because he loves the Yak and Yeti Restaurant and Disney used to serve the same Casey's corn dog nuggets here. There used to be a kiosk between Asia and Africa that served them. The nuggets were removed about a year ago and replaced with chicken wings, so that was a huge disappointment for us. We have yet to try the chicken wings out of protest. Both the table and counter service versions of the Yak and Yeti appeal to us and the selection of beers here is probably one of the best in Animal Kingdom. This is also the only park I can get him to enjoy a show, Flights of Wonder, as he is a bird lover.
The hardest obstacle to overcome when planning a Disney trip with someone who doesn't share your passion, whether it is for a day or week trip, is pinpointing and eliminating the reason for their apprehension and replacing it with something they can look forward to. It's not a simple task and actually one that I still have to overcome each we visit Disney. Planning trips to Disney as a group is a great way to make your outing into a social event and get your partner to come along, especially if there is another person in the group he/she can relate to that may not be as Disney-inclined as the rest. A Disney grinch won't tell you when they are actually having a good time at the parks, but I have discovered that on a few occasions, just a few, my husband has actually enjoyed himself and had a lot of fun (whether or not he will admit it). After all, who you go to Disney with is as important as what you do when you're there.
- Flying Fish Cafe to offer breakfast this fall - This is intended to fill the gap between Kouzzina's closing and the opening of the new Italian restaurant, Trattoria al Forno, in December.
- Disney Facts and Insider Stories - Disney Facts and Insider Stories from a thread on DISboards.com titled "Your best Disney fact or insider story..."
- Frozen Holiday Premium Package announced for Osborne Lights - Get reserved viewing for the For the First Time in Forever: A Frozen Sing-Along Celebration; reserved viewing location for the Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights with specialty alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, Frozen-themed desserts, holiday lithograph and Frozen pin.
- Blog - Navigating Walt Disney World on Wheels
- October Merchandise Events and Signings at Walt Disney World - List of artist signings and appearances around the Walt Disney World Resort.
- Kids in Control - 3 ways to let the kids take charge of planning your Disney vacation - We’ve been to Walt Disney World many times as a family, so sometimes it’s neat to put those itineraries aside, switch things up and put the kids in control of our plans!
- Blog - How did you become a Disney fan?
- Kouzzina by Cat Cora closes at the Boardwalk today - A new restaurant concept will open in its place this fall.
- VIDEO: Epcot International Food & Wine Festival 2014 Overview - Join the DIS Unplugged team as they stroll around World Showcase enjoying food from the 2014 Epcot International Food & Wine Festival!
- Dates for Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights at Hollywood Studios - Approximately every 10 minutes, the lights "dance" to holiday music, while "Florida snow" falls in the background, making this the perfect Christmas setting.
- Canadian Lumberjack Show to replace Off Kilter at Epcot - They will perform year round and will begin the week of October 5.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Hollywood Boulevard - Crossroads of the World - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Hollywood Boulevard - Crossroads of the World
- Mistakes People Make on their Disney World Vacation - Knowing that DISboards.com is loaded with tons of Disney information, I've decided to start condensing popular threads by quoting the informative posts into a single page.
- Top 4 Best Continuously Loading Rides At Walt Disney World According to You - Those of you who watch The DIS Unplugged know all about the "Best Of" bracket shows. In this particular show, the DIS Unplugged team comes up with their own tournament style bracket to decide the best continuously loading rides at Walt Disney World.
- Blog - A Walking Tour of Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
- Monorail schedule to be adjusted again after September 27 - The monorail will have a different operating schedule than normal as an automation upgrade takes place.
- How to make the most of your Walt Disney World vacation - Now that your trip is booked, it's time to start the day-to-day planning so you can make the most out of your time at Walt Disney World!
- Cirque du Soleil dining package available - Purchase a ticket to the 6:00 performance of La Nouba and take advantage of this special package, which includes an entree, dessert and non-alcoholic beverage. The dinner package option is available at Wolfgang Puck Grand Cafe, Planet Hollywood and Splitsville Luxury Lanes.
- Rehab planned for Splash Mountain - The ride will be closed 1/4/2015 - 1/30/2015.
- "Disney's Behind the Magic of Our Steam Trains" tour will be closed this fall - This Magic Kingdom tour will be closed 9/29-11/7/14.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Sweet Spells - Sunset Boulevard - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Sweet Spells - Sunset Boulevard
- A Guide to Drinking Around Epcot's World Showcase at Walt Disney World - One of the most popular things to do at Epcot’s World Showcase, you know aside from all that pesky learning and culture, is what’s called Drinking Around The World.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe - Sonny Eclipse - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe - Sonny Eclipse
- Festival of the Lion King celebrates 1 millionth guest in new theater - 1 million guests have attended the show since it opened in its new theater in June.
- Blog - Epcot's International Food & Wine Festival FAQ
- Prices for Epcot International Food & Wine Festival Marketplaces - This year's Festival runs from September 19 - November 10, 2014.
- Seven Dwarfs Mine Train onboard videos and photos available with Memory Maker - After riding the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, a video and photos of the guest's ride will be added to their My Disney Experience account. These photos/video are only available to guests who have purchased Memory Maker.
- Planet Hollywood's outside merchandise location has closed - This is due to construction. Merchandise is still available inside the restaurant or at Disney's Hollywood Studios.
- Blog - Handbag Round Up: Dooney & Bourke, Vera Bradley, & LeSportsac
- Top 4 Best Thrill Rides At Walt Disney World According to You - The list below is the “final four” of a series of polls tournament bracket style from the DIS Unplugged Facebook page.
- VIDEO: Drinks Around The World Epcot - Corey, Shaun and Craig finish the Drinks Around The World series with the ultimate challenge – drinking around Epcot’s World Showcase!
- Blog - Looking for something to do before your cruise? Visit the Exploration Tower at Port Canaveral
- Chase Lounge will return to the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival - This lounge offers Chase cardholders a place to relax, enjoy complimentary beverages and charging stations for their electronics.
- 2015 Walt Disney World Marathon registration re-opened - Runners can now have the chance to sign up for the 1/2 Marathon, the full Marathon and/or the Goofy Challenge as part of the Goofy Giveback.
- A Simple Guide to Planning Your First Walt Disney World Vacation - Planning a trip to Walt Disney World and don't know where to start? I've simplified the process by suggesting some decisions that need to be made before others.
- Blog - What to Expect at Disney's D23 Destination D Event this November
- New version of My Disney Experience app is available - Users can now check meet and greet wait times and view updated park maps. The method for linking park tickets and passes has also been improved.
- Blog - Apple Pay is coming to the Walt Disney World Resort - What does it mean for the average Disney guest?
- Blog - Disney Opposes "Inflammatory" Amended Complaint in DAS Lawsuit
- Disney Cast Members - What is the one "tip" you can give us? - Don't have time to read a 89-page thread on the DISboards? We've summed up the highlights for you so you can find out cast members' best tips for guests!
- Blog - The Good and Bad of "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" on Blu-ray
- L'Artisan des Glaces in France Pavilion introduces Pumpkin Spice ice cream - Pumpkin spice ice cream and pumpkin spice macaron ice cream sandwiches are now available for the fall season.
- Food & Wine Festival's Late Nights LIVE! now only available on Thursdays - The new event at Epcot's International Food & Wine Festival was originally scheduled to be held every Tuesday and Thursday during the Festival, but will now just take place on Thursdays.
- Last day for Maelstrom will be October 5 - The new Frozen attraction is expected to open in early 2016.
- Ticket discounts available for Cirque du Soleil La Nouba - Discounted tickets must be purchased by 9/22/14.
- Blog - A Walking Tour of Disney's Polynesian Village Resort at Walt Disney World - Construction Update
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Crescent Lake Bridge - Crescent Lake - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Crescent Lake Bridge - Crescent Lake
- 5 Tips for Taking Better Photos at Walt Disney World - It’s a given fact that when you go on a Disney vacation you are going to take a ton of photos throughout your trip. Use these tips to make those photos the best they can be.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - New Fantasyland - Seven Dwarfs Mine Train - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at New Fantasyland - Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
- 4 Ways to Make Magic for Other Guests at Walt Disney World - While visiting a Disney theme park, the Cast Members on the clock are tasked with doing their best to ‘make magic’ for as many Guests as possible. But, if you’re anything like my family, seeing others enjoy their time at a Disney park is sometimes just as satisfying as enjoying the parks yourselves.
- Crane now in place behind Cinderella Castle - The crane is now in place behind Cinderella Castle to install the Castle Dream Lights for the holiday season. The anticipated date for the crane removal is September 21.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Splash Mountain Bridge - Splash Mountain - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Splash Mountain Bridge - Splash Mountain
- Top 5 Hidden Gems at Disney's Animal Kingdom - Disney’s Animal Kingdom is crawling with hidden details and overlooked attractions that most people would just walk right past. But there is so much more if you are willing to take a few moments to stop and really look at your surroundings.
- Ride the Comix! closes at DisneyQuest - This attraction is now closed and will allow for an expansion of the FoodQuest seating area.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Japan Gallery - Spirited Beasts - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Japan Gallery - Spirited Beasts
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Club Cool - Fountain of Nations - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Club Cool - Fountain of Nations
- Disney Legend Tony Baxter added to D23 Destination D lineup - Baxter will present a panel featuring an in-depth tour of an expansion for Disneyland that never materialized.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Epcot Entrance - Leave A Legacy - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Epcot Entrance - Leave A Legacy
- Blog - Frustrated At Walt Disney World? "LET IT GO"
- Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue at Walt Disney World's Fort Wilderness Resort celebrates its 40th anniversary - The Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue marks its 40th anniversary after more than 37,000 dinner show performances at Disney's Fort Wilderness campground.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Capt. Cook's - Capt. Cook's Seating Area - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Capt. Cook's - Capt. Cook's Seating Area
- Night of Joy completely sold out at Magic Kingdom - This hard-ticket event features contemporary Christian artists in concert for two nights. This year's event is completely sold out.
- Harmony Barber Shop will close for a month for refurb - The Magic Kingdom shop will be closed from 2/2/15 - 3/30/15.
- Frozen Sing-Along added to FastPass+ choices at Hollywood Studios - This is a Tier 2 FastPass+ choice.
- Time change for internal boat service at Downtown Disney - The red route previously closed at 11:30pm. It will now run until 2:00am.
- VIDEO: 2014 Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party Overview - Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party is the yearly event that brings the spookiest holiday of them all to Magic Kingdom. This hard-ticket party allows guests to dress up in costumes, trick-or-treat throughout the park, and meet some characters in their costumes.
- Neil Patrick Harris, Isabella Rossellini and Blair Underwood added as Candlelight Processional narrators - There are still a few narrators left to be announced.
- VIDEO: Cruising Around Hawaii - Explore the Hawaiian islands of Maui, Hawai'i, and Kauai while sailing onboard Norwegians Cruise Line's Pride of America.
- VIDEO: Driving Around Oahu - Explore the island of Oahu by driving around to different unique locations. Ted's Bakery, Haleiwa, Matsumoto's Shave Ice, and many others make Oahu a great place to find local treasures.
- Blog - Back to School Disney Style: Great Merchandise Finds in the Parks
- Pricing structure changed for Valet Parking at Downtown Disney - Pricing is based on length of stay - time starts when you reach the valet podium and stops when you return to the podium to pick up your car.
- Blog - Top 5 Must Do's at Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party
- Pangani Research Center closes for refurb - Pangani Research Center- Aviary and Hippo viewing area will be closed 9/2 - 11/14/2014.
- Blog - Villains Soiree - Wickedly Disappointing
- Blog - Dole Whips are back at the Polynesian Village Resort at the new and disappointing Pineapple Lanai
- Shortened monorail operating hours now in place - The monorail will have a different operating schedule than normal as an automation upgrade takes place.
- Blog - The Good and Bad of "Toy Story of TERROR!" on Blu-ray
- American Idol Experience is now closed at Disney's Hollywood Studios - This attraction closed August 30, 2014. No definitive plans have been announced for this space.
- VIDEO: Oogie Boogie's Freaky Funhouse Show at Villains Unleashed - Oogie Boogie's Freaky Funhouse Show at Villains Unleashed brings Vegas to Walt Disney World. Villains Unleashed took over Disney's Hollywood Studios on August 23, 2014 and part of the hard ticket event was Oogie Boogie's Freak Funhouse Show. Oogie Boogie hosts the show that features a sword-swallowing act, daredevil archery and a finale full of fire!
- Refurb closures planned for Walt Disney World water parks - Typhoon Lagoon will be closed 10/26/14-1/3/15 and Blizzard Beach will be closed 1/4/15-3/14/15.
- Top 5 Signature Dining Experiences at the Walt Disney World Resorts - 1,600 listeners and viewers of our DIS Unplugged web-cast voted on their favorite signature restaurants at the Walt Disney World resort hotels.
- Blog - The Top 5 Underutilized Spaces at Walt Disney World
- Walt Disney World donates 25,000 pairs of socks to local charities
- Haunted Mansion on list of country's top haunts
- Disney teams up with Hasbro for toy merchandising partnership
- Woman sues Disney, claiming Frozen was copied from her life story
- Disability access lawsuit against Disney transferred from California to Florida
- Frozen and Disney top the Toy Insider Hot 20 List for Christmas
- Aulani honored by Fodor's Travel
- Studio Backlot Tour at Disney's Hollywood Studios closing September 27
- New drawbridge for Sleeping Beauty Castle
- Plot details released for Avengers: Age of Ultron