Habit Heroes reopens at Epcot's InnoventionsLeah Zanolla | Posted: Jan 19, 2013 | Updated: Jan 19, 2013 - 11:40:05 AM
Habit Heroes has re-opened at Walt Disney World. Habit Heroes was the ill-fated attraction that opened in Epcot's Innoventions last February and then quickly closed the next month. Its intent was to teach kids how to get rid of their bad habits, by promoting healthy lifestyle habits, such as a nutritious diet and staying active. There were three interactive areas in the game - guests were to try to get the remote control away from the "Control Freak," help Will Power and Callie Stenics battle villains "Sweet Tooth and The Snacker," and use exercise to show "Lead Bottom" how to get moving. Unfortunately, guests thought that Habit Heroes was too harsh, focusing only on individuals that were overweight.
On January 18, the newly re-imagined attraction opened, after Imagineers garnered input from multiple health experts around the country, including those specializing in children's health, weight, nutrition and obesity. Habit Heroes 2 takes 12 guests at a time through the three rooms of the 16-minute interactive attraction. In the first room, guests become recruits of Director Jin and her agents "Quench, Dynamo and Fuel." The goal is to take out the enemies of dehydration, inactivity and poor nutrition, which show up as cartoon symbols.
According to the Orlando Sentinel, some of these new enemies include: "the Scorchers are animated flames that dry you out. The Sappers resemble life-like boulders that weigh you down and sap your energy. Blocker Bots are many-armed monsters that stand between you and healthier food choices." Guests must work together through the three rooms using healthy habits, such as good foods, exercise and water to fight back.
Peggy Howell, spokeswoman for the fat-acceptance organization, was one of the biggest opponents to the first version of the attraction, saying "We're appalled to learn that Disney, a traditional hallmark of childhood happiness and joy, has fallen under the shadow of negativity and discrimination." Now, Howell says, "We really thank Disney and Epcot for listening to our concerns. We appreciate that they heard us and took the necessary steps to tailor the message for every person, not one segment of the population."
Brent Strong, creative director for Walt Disney Imagineering, said, "The final message is that we all have to work together to save the world from these bad-habit monsters."
Daily Email DIS Updates
Stay Informed With All Things Disney!
Enter your email address below to receive DIS Updates by email – including News, Blogs, Podcasts, Discounts, and Disney Updates.
Sign Up & Win A Prize!
Each month we select one of our subscribers at random and give away a prize! Prizes range from a $50 Disney Gift Card, Adventures by Disney trip for two, or a 7 day/6 night stay at Walt Disney World with dining for a family of four!
- Blog - A Shopping Oasis: Merchandise at Disney's Flower & Garden Festival
- Pollo Campero at Downtown Disney will be closing 3/19/14 - Pollo Campero, Bodie's All-American Grill and Babycakes NYC will be closing 3/19/14. Babycakes NYC will still be providing gluten-free items to select Walt Disney World food courts and restaurants.
- Blog - 2014 Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival opens in Epcot
- Registration for the Wine & Dine Half Marathon opens today - This race is held in conjunction with the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival.
- Blog - Haunted Mansion Merchandise Materializes in Disney Parks
- New dates for D23's Destination D - The event will be held November 22-23, 2014.
- 2015 Walt Disney World Marathon dates - Registration for the 2015 marathon begins 4/22/14.
- Blog - A Brit's Perspective - Changing of the Seasons at the Orlando theme parks
- Rebel Rendezvous merchandise event planned for Star Wars Weekends - Attendees will receive exclusive access to Darth's Mall a day before it opens to the public.
- Blog - A February Stroll through the Magic Kingdom
- Walt Disney World restaurants add Braille menus - Beginning March 1, select restaurants will be adding Braille menus, though a list of participating restaurants is not yet available. The Braille menus will have examples of the menu items but may not list all the short term or temporary items.
- Family Ticket offer - get one free day! - Get one FREE additional day on each ticket when you buy 6 or more 4-day or longer Magic Your Way tickets!
- Blog - Disney's Polynesian Resort is Changing in a Big Way
- Just announced! Festival of Fantasy parade will debut March 9! - This parade will run daily in the afternoons at the Magic Kingdom.
- Celebrate Earth Day at Disney's Animal Kingdom - The park is also celebrating the release of Disneynature's newest film Bears, which hits theaters April 18.
- Car Masters Weekend to be held at Downtown Disney - This event takes place June 14-15.
- Walt Disney World ticket prices increase - Ticket prices have gone up effective today, Sunday, February 23.
- Mighty St. Patrick's Day Festival planned for Downtown Disney - Downtown Disney celebrates St. Patrick's Day with live music, a step-by-step Irish jig workshop, classic Irish food and drink, Irish storytellers, Irish history and merchandise at Raglan Road's Shop.
- Star Wars Weekends - extra weekend added, plus Hyperspace Hoopla cancelled - A nightly fireworks show has been added instead of the Hyperspace Hoopla party.