Mama Melrose's Ristorante Italiano
Review by Kevin Klose - 2/3/08
It was one of those glorious late January days here in central Florida.
The weather was perfect for going to the parks with the temperature in the low 70’s, sunny, no humidity. And to really torture the folks that visit when the parks are hot and crowded….they were deserted.
The four of us decided to venture into MGM…er..Hollywood Studios…..ok…I’m not sure I’m ever going to get the hang of that. It’s the same with the WEDway People Mover. I know…it’s the Tomorrowland Transportation Authority, but it will always be the WEDway People Mover to me.
Back to the topic at hand…
Our goal was to compare a couple of counter service locations in Hollywood Studios as we had recently done with the Magic Kingdom. Within a very short time frame…it became apparent that Hollywood Studios (HS) seems to be lacking in variety at their counter service locations.
Part of the problem was that certain locations were closed. When one enjoys the perks of lower crowd levels, you must also accept that certain things will be closing earlier or being closed for refurbishment.
As our plan was not working out the way we intended, we decided to not waste our trip.
We have recently reviewed 50’s Prime Time Café and we have talked about loving the Hollywood Brown Derby on several occasions so our options were Sci-Fi Drive In, Mama Melrose’s or the Hollywood and Vine Buffet. As we were closest to Mama Melrose’s…we decided to see about a table.
It was late afternoon (4:00pm ish) when we arrived and were immediately taken to a table in a nearly empty restaurant. We weren’t sure if this was a good sign or bad or if it was due to the park being not crowded. Whatever the reason, we were ready to give it a shot.
I have only been to Mama Melrose’s twice in my life. I had lunch there once as part of the Backstage Magic Tour (see my review here: http://www.wdwinfo.com/reviews/backstage-magic-tour.htm) and while it was fairly decent, our experience was different than that of a regular guest. Lunch was served family style and we were not offered choices. There were several things to choose from, but it was pre-arranged as part of the tour. Not bad…not great…and a atypical experience, it wasn’t really enough to form an opinion.
The only other time I had dined in this restaurant, it was a full fledged disaster. I don’t really remember all of the details as it was many, many years ago, but it involved a refund of all monies paid and a trip to Guest Services. I had never been back. I had also heard enough negative reviews of the place that I was under the assumption that nothing had changed.
With this in mind, we settled in to look at the menus. As were pretty much the sole patrons, our server was at our sides in a flash. We explained that we were going to take a minute and look things over. She took our drink orders and went on her way.
As we were looking at the dinner menu, there was a choice of 9 appetizers. We decided on the Vegetarian Minestrone ($5.49), the soup of the day (Tuscan Bean something or other at $5.48) and something called Artisan Breads and Spreads ($6.99).
The good news…..the Vegetarian Minestrone was wonderful. It was nicely spiced with a hearty mix of vegetables and pasta in a rich tomato broth. It was truly tasty and needed no embellishment.
The bad news…..the soup of the day looked and tasted like the stuff you rinse out of the sink strainer after having done the dishes. It tasted and smelled awful and after the first bite was left untouched. Our server noticed rather quickly and without any urging from us offered to change it for another bowl of the minestrone. I get the feeling we were not the first to be dissatisfied with the soup of that particular day.
I was a bit annoyed with our last appetizer. The Artisan Bread and Spreads for $6.99 seems to be a way of charging patrons for something most decent restaurants serve free of charge. What Italian restaurant doesn’t offer a complimentary basket of bread or rolls as you look over the menu? The plate consisted of a small variety of breads served with a tablespoon of arugula and chive pesto, sun-dried tomato spread, a roasted vegetable tapenade and a bulb or roasted garlic.
Now I can understand if there was a charge for any of the toppings, but charging patrons for bread seems like gouging to me and $6.99 is outrageous for what is being served. As for it being Artisan bread? Apparently, our local Publix employs Artisans as well because the same bread is available there.
With my grousing aside, the toppings were ok with the sun-dried tomatoes and roasted garlic being the clear winners. Keep in mind that they are not worth $6.99.
On to better news…..
The four of us decided to order 3 entrees. One of us had the Charred Butcher Tender Steak which was topped with gorgonzola butter on roasted red pepper polenta with grilled asparagus and a red wine reduction ($20.99), We also had a Grilled Chicken Flatbread with sun-dried tomato pesto, pancetta, asiago cheese and fresh chives ($12.99)
And the Wood Grilled Chicken tossed with Pipette pasta, artichokes, peas and roasted red peppers in a basil four cheese cream sauce ($17.99).
The Charred Butcher Steak was a nice piece of steak, sliced and served medium rare as requested. It was topped with a delicious bit of gorgonzola cheese. The polenta was not as flavorful and a bit dry. This dish would have been better with a bit more cheese sauce and a bit more red wine reduction to moisten the polenta. Were we to order it again, we would ask for these things in advance. The grilled asparagus was just that…grilled asparagus.
The Chicken Flatbread was a nice individual sized serving. The crust was crispy and flavorful and the toppins were plentiful. We all agreed that this was quite tasty. A four cheese version is available for a dollar less and would be a great meal for kids. I should note…one of the four cheeses is gorgonzola, but I am sure that could be remedied for a picky eater.
The best entrée was the Wood Grilled Chicken. The name is a bit misleading as chicken is not the main ingredient by far. This is a very tasty pasta dish with a small portion of sliced grilled chicken included. You receive a large portion and this dish could easily be split as it is rich and filling. The artichokes and roasted red peppers offered a nice counter to the rich and creamy cheese sauce. We all agreed that this would be ordered again on a subsequent visit. Shrimp can be substituted for chicken and that would bring the price up to $19.99
I need to tell you that a third bowl of minestrone was ordered by the person that did not order an entree. It was considered to be that good.
We finished our meal by ordering one desert for the 4 of us to share. There are 5 desert choices and we chose the Warm Chocolate Truffle Cake ($5.99). It’s listed as being filled with Chocolate Ganache over raspberry sauce with a Pistachio Florentine.
Our cake was roughly the size of a small cupcake and the cake portion was bit dry. The truffle center was warm and melted. I would describe this as being ok….but it had the possibility of being great. I think ours hade been over baked and it dried out. The highlight of this desert was the Pistachio Florentine. It’s a wafer thin cookie made with crushed pistachios. The desert is served with one and we asked to buy more. Our server brought us two more and I gotta tell you….they are mighty fine. They should offer them as a desert choice all by themselves.
Our bill (with no drinks…only water) was approximately $81.00. After our Disney Dining Experience discount, our total was $78.00 but that now included an 18% gratuity.
This restaurant offers a lunch menu as well. Many of the choices and the same at lunch and dinner but surprisingly, the prices are identical. There are 10 entrée choices at lunch and 13 at dinner. A limited children’s menu is also available
I would say that after this experience, we will definitely visit Mama Melrose’s again when we go to MG….er Hollywood Studios. They have changed my mind.
- Details for 2015 Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival - Anna and Elsa topiaries will be on display at World Showcase Plaza.
- Epcot's Spice Road Table now accepts reservations - Reservations are available beginning December 2.
- The Comedy Warehouse Holiday Special to return to Hollywood Studios - This improvisational comedy show will return to the Premier Theater at Hollywood Studios from December 21, 2014 - January 4, 2015.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Magic Kingdom Hub - Cinderella Castle - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Magic Kingdom Hub - Cinderella Castle
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - The Diamond Horseshoe Balcony - The Diamond Horseshoe - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at The Diamond Horseshoe Balcony - The Diamond Horseshoe
- Save up to 30% on a stay at Aulani - Discount is available most nights 4/6 - 6/15/15.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Bay Lake Tower 15th Floor - Magic Kingdom - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Bay Lake Tower 15th Floor - Magic Kingdom
- Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party sold out on November 20 - There are still many MVMCP dates available.
- Plan B Character Dining at Walt Disney World - If you’re looking to make a reservation for a character meal and can’t get one, we’ve got a couple of suggestions for places you may not have thought of.
- Blizzard Beach to be closed November 17 due to cold temperatures - Typhoon Lagoon is already closed for its annual refurbishment.
- Top 5(+) things that are better at Walt Disney World than at Disneyland - Bigger may not always be better, but isn't always worse either. I can't resist countering with an article that lists, in my view, the things that are better at Walt Disney World.
- Guests meeting Santa at Downtown Disney have new notification option - Guests will get pagers if the wait exceeds 30 minutes (or they can choose to receive a text message instead). When their pager goes off and they return to Santa's Chalet, they will have about a 20 minute wait.
- Disney Visa cardholders get a special gift when taking advantage of Aulani discount - When booking the 4th night free offer, Disney Visa cardholders will also receive a special Welcome Gift at check-in with specialty items and signature Aulani merchandise ($98 value).
- Disney restaurants that kids will love, but parents would rather avoid - When you’re a parent traveling with your kids, you often need to put your own desires aside and head to the more kid-friendly establishments. Of course, there are exceptions to everything, but here’s a list of three restaurants that most kids will love, but many parents would rather avoid.
- Top 5 things that are better at Disneyland than at Walt Disney World - Bigger isn't always better and while Walt Disney's original theme park is smaller, it still has the advantage over its East-coast counterpart in a few key areas.
- Rehabs planned for several resort pools - Several of the resorts have rehabs scheduled for their pools and water slides in the upcoming months.
- Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom now opening an hour early Thanksgiving week - Both parks will now open at 8:00am instead of 9:00am. Extra Magic Hours for those parks will move one hour earlier as well.
- 3 Surprising Things About Working at Expedition Everest - I want to bring you some surprising facts from the perspective of a cast member working there on a daily basis.
- Rehabs planned for Art of Animation pools - The closure dates are: Big Blue Pool 11/17 - 11/19, Little Mermaid Flippin' Fins Pool 11/20 - 11/21, and the Cozy Cone Pool 11/24 - 11/26.
- Second seating added to Frozen Holiday Premium Packages - These packages include reserved seating for the First Time In Forever: A Frozen Sing-Along Celebration and access to a Frozen-themed dessert party with reserved viewing for Osborne Lights.
- All-Star Music food court to open early after refurbishment - Instead of being closed until December 20 like originally planned, the Intermission Food Court will reopen on December 3.
- The Great 'Throwaway Room' Debate - For those not familiar with the issue – a ‘throwaway room’ is a Disney resort room that is booked for one night just to get the perks associated with it.
- Seasonal food and drink offered at Epcot for the holidays - Each pavilion will have a special offering for the holidays.
- Ticket specials available for Cirque du Soleil - Discounted tickets available through December 19, 2014.
- VIDEO: Mickey's Once Upon a Christmastime Parade - Mickey's Once Upon a Christmastime Parade at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom.
- Blog - Reduce Theme Park Lines? Invest in New Attractions
- Free breakfast offer for length of stay at Aulani - This offer must be booked by December 18.
- Jingle Cruise returns to Magic Kingdom for the holidays - The attraction will receive a new storyline, just for the holidays. This will be open throughout the holiday season, as well as during Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party.
- Mickey’s Once Upon a Christmastime Parade Photos - Photos from Mickey’s Once Upon a Christmastime Parade, including the new addition of characters from Frozen and Wreck-It-Ralph.
- VIDEO: Anna and Elsa join Mickey's Once Upon a Christmastime Parade - Frozen's Anna, Elsa, Olaf and Kristoff join Mickey's Once Upon a Christmastime parade at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom.
- Memory Maker now available for purchase after your vacation - Memory Maker can now be purchased after your trip. Previously it had only been available in advance or on-site.
- Animated Magic Shots added at select Memory Maker locations - These shots will put an animated video overlay on one of your photos.
- Christmas Day parade taping to take place at Magic Kingdom December 6-9 - The parade that airs Christmas morning on ABC is filmed at the Magic Kingdom. Park guests can attend the taping with their regular park tickets. No special tickets will be needed.
- Big Hero 6 meet and greet now open at Disney's Hollywood Studios - Hiro and Baymax are now greeting guests in the Magic of Disney Animation building.
- Blog - Frozen Ice Palace Debuts at Malls Across the Country
- PANDORA Jewelry Showcase will debut Disney Parks line - The event will take place November 7-8, 2014 at Cherry Tree Lane in the Marketplace Co-Op at Downtown Disney.
- Last day for the Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow at Hollywood Studios - The Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow is an interactive experience where guests can join forces with other pirates to battle Davy Jones, the Krakken and even mermaids.
- VIDEO: 'A Frozen Holiday Wish' Cinderella Castle Lighting Show at Magic Kingdom - This year, Elsa uses her magical powers to transform Cinderella Castle at the Magic Kingdom into an icy palace with the help of Anna, Kristoff and Olaf.
- Blog - A Frozen Holiday Wish debuts at Magic Kingdom
- Special "Elsa" Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom card available at Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party - "Elsa's Icy Shield" lets game players use Elsa's ice powers to defeat villains.
- The Best Resorts at Walt Disney World - We asked the listeners to our DIS Unplugged podcast/video show to vote on their favorites, and we uncovered a few surprises along the way. We received more than 3200 votes in total, and we asked people to rate their favorite resort by category – best Value resort, vest moderate, best deluxe and best home away from home.
- Thanksgiving dining information for Walt Disney World - All the restaurants will be open on Thanksgiving, but some have special menus available.
- Aulani plans Thanksgiving feast - Celebrate the holiday in the Kaiona Ballroom. The menu will include traditional Thanksgiving favorites with an island twist.
- Cirque du Soleil ticket discounts available for Annual Passholders - Offer good on performances November 6-December 19, 2014.
- Annual passholders can save up to 35% at select Walt Disney World hotels - Valid for stays most nights 1/5/15 - 3/28/15.
- Changes in parking due to Downtown Disney Remodel - Entrance 2 Parking lots A-G closed 12/1/2014-8/1/2016 to make way for the Town Center and the East Garage.
- 4 Reasons Why Disney's Hollywood Studios Needs To (And Will) Change - I want the current Disney's Hollywood Studios to succeed. I want to see it grow into something great. Here are some of the reasons I think Disney's Hollywood Studios needs to change for the better.
- Richard Petty "Jr. Ride-Along Experience" - free souvenir photo for Disney Visa cardholders - Get a free souvenir photo ($17.50 value) when you use your Disney Visa card to pay for the Jr. Ride-Along experience. Offer ends June 30, 2015.
- November Merchandise Events and Artist Appearances/Signings at Walt Disney World - All month long, Disney artists can be found at signings across property.
- Blizzard Beach to be closed November 1 due to cold temperatures - Typhoon Lagoon is also closed, but due to its annual rehab.
- Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Food & Wine Classic to be held this weekend - This event features wine and beer seminars, tasting stations and live music.
- Blog - Mickey's Halloween Party vs. Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party
- How To Coach Someone Onto Thrill Rides - There is no fail-proof formula, but over the years I have found a few coaching techniques that I use with thrill-phobic personalities. With them I have coaxed quite a few of the most stubborn people in my life onto attractions they never imagined they would test.
- MagicBands will automatically add ride photos to your account - If guests are wearing an active MagicBand when they ride on select attractions, the photos will automatically be added to their My Disney Experience account.
- Blog - 'Move It! Shake It! Dance & Play It!' Street Party debuts at Magic Kingdom
- Top 5 Disney Bucket List Items - You know those things you always wanted to do but haven't had the time or money to do them?
- First night of Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party is sold out - Tickets are still available on the other nights.
- Planning a Disney Halloween Party in 10 Steps - A few ideas and 10 steps for planning a Disney Halloween party in your own neighborhood.
- A new flag waving act has opened in the Italy Pavilion - Sbandieratori Di Sansepolcro performs 12-minute shows several times daily.
- Walt Disney World's Under the Sea - Journey of the Little Mermaid plans month-long rehab - The Magic Kingdom attraction will be closed from 2/2/2015 - 3/6/2015.
- Island Supply store in Magic Kingdom's Adventureland closing - The shop will be closing 10/22/14 and will be replaced later this year.
- LeVar Burton and Edward James Olmos added to Candlelight Processional narrators - The Candlelight Processional takes place at Epcot from 11/28-12/30/14.
- Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party tickets sold out on 10/28/14 - Tickets are also sold out on the 30th and 31st.
- SeaWorld to debut new Clyde & Seamore show in spring
- New Anaheim transportation hub to open next month
- Last surviving child of Knott's founder dies
- Knott's Berry Farm announces new 4-D attraction
- Superheroes take over the inaugural Avengers half marathon
- Slacker Radio picks up Radio Disney programming
- Disney Interactive announces several changes for digital projects
- Schedule for handmade candy canes at Disneyland
- Citricos to offer princess breakfast while Cinderella's Royal Table is rehabbed
- Disney's Big Hero 6 tops the weekend box office