Mama Melrose's Ristorante Italiano
Review by Kevin Klose - 2/3/08
It was one of those glorious late January days here in central Florida.
The weather was perfect for going to the parks with the temperature in the low 70’s, sunny, no humidity. And to really torture the folks that visit when the parks are hot and crowded….they were deserted.
The four of us decided to venture into MGM…er..Hollywood Studios…..ok…I’m not sure I’m ever going to get the hang of that. It’s the same with the WEDway People Mover. I know…it’s the Tomorrowland Transportation Authority, but it will always be the WEDway People Mover to me.
Back to the topic at hand…
Our goal was to compare a couple of counter service locations in Hollywood Studios as we had recently done with the Magic Kingdom. Within a very short time frame…it became apparent that Hollywood Studios (HS) seems to be lacking in variety at their counter service locations.
Part of the problem was that certain locations were closed. When one enjoys the perks of lower crowd levels, you must also accept that certain things will be closing earlier or being closed for refurbishment.
As our plan was not working out the way we intended, we decided to not waste our trip.
We have recently reviewed 50’s Prime Time Café and we have talked about loving the Hollywood Brown Derby on several occasions so our options were Sci-Fi Drive In, Mama Melrose’s or the Hollywood and Vine Buffet. As we were closest to Mama Melrose’s…we decided to see about a table.
It was late afternoon (4:00pm ish) when we arrived and were immediately taken to a table in a nearly empty restaurant. We weren’t sure if this was a good sign or bad or if it was due to the park being not crowded. Whatever the reason, we were ready to give it a shot.
I have only been to Mama Melrose’s twice in my life. I had lunch there once as part of the Backstage Magic Tour (see my review here: http://www.wdwinfo.com/reviews/backstage-magic-tour.htm) and while it was fairly decent, our experience was different than that of a regular guest. Lunch was served family style and we were not offered choices. There were several things to choose from, but it was pre-arranged as part of the tour. Not bad…not great…and a atypical experience, it wasn’t really enough to form an opinion.
The only other time I had dined in this restaurant, it was a full fledged disaster. I don’t really remember all of the details as it was many, many years ago, but it involved a refund of all monies paid and a trip to Guest Services. I had never been back. I had also heard enough negative reviews of the place that I was under the assumption that nothing had changed.
With this in mind, we settled in to look at the menus. As were pretty much the sole patrons, our server was at our sides in a flash. We explained that we were going to take a minute and look things over. She took our drink orders and went on her way.
As we were looking at the dinner menu, there was a choice of 9 appetizers. We decided on the Vegetarian Minestrone ($5.49), the soup of the day (Tuscan Bean something or other at $5.48) and something called Artisan Breads and Spreads ($6.99).
The good news…..the Vegetarian Minestrone was wonderful. It was nicely spiced with a hearty mix of vegetables and pasta in a rich tomato broth. It was truly tasty and needed no embellishment.
The bad news…..the soup of the day looked and tasted like the stuff you rinse out of the sink strainer after having done the dishes. It tasted and smelled awful and after the first bite was left untouched. Our server noticed rather quickly and without any urging from us offered to change it for another bowl of the minestrone. I get the feeling we were not the first to be dissatisfied with the soup of that particular day.
I was a bit annoyed with our last appetizer. The Artisan Bread and Spreads for $6.99 seems to be a way of charging patrons for something most decent restaurants serve free of charge. What Italian restaurant doesn’t offer a complimentary basket of bread or rolls as you look over the menu? The plate consisted of a small variety of breads served with a tablespoon of arugula and chive pesto, sun-dried tomato spread, a roasted vegetable tapenade and a bulb or roasted garlic.
Now I can understand if there was a charge for any of the toppings, but charging patrons for bread seems like gouging to me and $6.99 is outrageous for what is being served. As for it being Artisan bread? Apparently, our local Publix employs Artisans as well because the same bread is available there.
With my grousing aside, the toppings were ok with the sun-dried tomatoes and roasted garlic being the clear winners. Keep in mind that they are not worth $6.99.
On to better news…..
The four of us decided to order 3 entrees. One of us had the Charred Butcher Tender Steak which was topped with gorgonzola butter on roasted red pepper polenta with grilled asparagus and a red wine reduction ($20.99), We also had a Grilled Chicken Flatbread with sun-dried tomato pesto, pancetta, asiago cheese and fresh chives ($12.99)
And the Wood Grilled Chicken tossed with Pipette pasta, artichokes, peas and roasted red peppers in a basil four cheese cream sauce ($17.99).
The Charred Butcher Steak was a nice piece of steak, sliced and served medium rare as requested. It was topped with a delicious bit of gorgonzola cheese. The polenta was not as flavorful and a bit dry. This dish would have been better with a bit more cheese sauce and a bit more red wine reduction to moisten the polenta. Were we to order it again, we would ask for these things in advance. The grilled asparagus was just that…grilled asparagus.
The Chicken Flatbread was a nice individual sized serving. The crust was crispy and flavorful and the toppins were plentiful. We all agreed that this was quite tasty. A four cheese version is available for a dollar less and would be a great meal for kids. I should note…one of the four cheeses is gorgonzola, but I am sure that could be remedied for a picky eater.
The best entrée was the Wood Grilled Chicken. The name is a bit misleading as chicken is not the main ingredient by far. This is a very tasty pasta dish with a small portion of sliced grilled chicken included. You receive a large portion and this dish could easily be split as it is rich and filling. The artichokes and roasted red peppers offered a nice counter to the rich and creamy cheese sauce. We all agreed that this would be ordered again on a subsequent visit. Shrimp can be substituted for chicken and that would bring the price up to $19.99
I need to tell you that a third bowl of minestrone was ordered by the person that did not order an entree. It was considered to be that good.
We finished our meal by ordering one desert for the 4 of us to share. There are 5 desert choices and we chose the Warm Chocolate Truffle Cake ($5.99). It’s listed as being filled with Chocolate Ganache over raspberry sauce with a Pistachio Florentine.
Our cake was roughly the size of a small cupcake and the cake portion was bit dry. The truffle center was warm and melted. I would describe this as being ok….but it had the possibility of being great. I think ours hade been over baked and it dried out. The highlight of this desert was the Pistachio Florentine. It’s a wafer thin cookie made with crushed pistachios. The desert is served with one and we asked to buy more. Our server brought us two more and I gotta tell you….they are mighty fine. They should offer them as a desert choice all by themselves.
Our bill (with no drinks…only water) was approximately $81.00. After our Disney Dining Experience discount, our total was $78.00 but that now included an 18% gratuity.
This restaurant offers a lunch menu as well. Many of the choices and the same at lunch and dinner but surprisingly, the prices are identical. There are 10 entrée choices at lunch and 13 at dinner. A limited children’s menu is also available
I would say that after this experience, we will definitely visit Mama Melrose’s again when we go to MG….er Hollywood Studios. They have changed my mind.
- Haunted Mansion reopens after refurb - The attraction has been closed since the beginning of the month.
- 3 Must-See Character Spots That You Might Have Missed - Today, we will look specifically at 3 Character Meet & Greets that we were completely unaware of and that absolutely made our trip.
- STK Orlando to open at Disney Springs, plus other retailers apply - STK will open in 2015.
- Blog - Christmas by the Numbers at Walt Disney World
- Trattoria al Forno now open at Disney's BoardWalk - This Italian restaurant has opened in the space vacated by Kouzzina by Cat Cora.
- Disney World for College Students: The Spring Break Alternative - When one thinks of Walt Disney World they often think of a place fit for families and little kids and while that is true the allure is for many more. It is certainly not a Spring Breakers-esque destination for college kids but, it can be a great time for all who want to go.
- 4 Reasons Why Tomorrowland Needs Change
- Traveling with kids Part 2 - Bites - Anyone who has traveled with kids knows how important it is to keep them well-fed and hydrated. Actually, that's just a good rule in general...
- Registration now open for the 2015 Expedition Everest Challenge - This event will be held 5/1-5/2/15.
- How Magically Sluggish WiFi Made My Disney Experience Perfect
- Woman dead after car collides with Disney bus - A Windermere, FL, woman is dead after her car collided with a Disney bus.
- Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party sold out on December 16 - The only available date remaining is December 18.
- Do You Remember the First Time? - I still have very clear memories about my first visit all those years ago. It was 1980, and even though I only spent two days in the Magic Kingdom, as that was the only park to visit, something about the experience clearly resonated deeply with me.
- Information and artist renderings of new Polynesian DVC property - There will be 20 Bungalows and 360 Deluxe Studios.
- Beginning 3/8/15, characters will be at Tusker House dinners - Reservations are now available.
- Aulani plans Christmas festivities - There will be seasonal crafts, movie nights, Christmas dinner and a Holiday Starlit Hui.
- Traveling With Kids Part 1 - Boredom - In this article, Iíll specifically talk about Boredom and some ways to keep the kids entertained while you travel.
- Itinerary change for 12/19/15 Disney Fantasy sailing - This sailing will visit Tortola instead of St. Maarten.
- One Band's Dream | Why Walt would have loved the idea of Magic Bands and FastPass+ - I tend to give Disney the benefit of the doubt in most cases. I want to think that Walt's grand idea of a magical place for families to come and enjoy is still the driving force behind the company. When listening to responses to Fast Pass+ and Magic Bands however, that doesn't seem to be a popular viewpoint. So I am going to come to the defense of these programs and try and offer a slightly more optimistic point of view.
- Purchase tickets directly through My Disney Experience app - Guests can now purchase tickets directly through My Disney Experience. Tickets can be 1-10 days, either one-park or park hoppers. Tickets can be assigned to existing Family and Friends and then Fastpass+ reservations can be made.
- What to Expect When You're Expecting... at Disney - There are many reasons a woman might find herself on a Disney parks vacation while pregnant. Maybe an older child is celebrating a big birthday. Maybe itís a family reunion. Maybe this trip was planned well in advance and now youíre facing it with a happy bundle of joy on the way.
- Blog - Frozen Welcomes the Hour of Code
- "The Taste of Hollywood Winter Holiday Grab n Go" boxed meals offered at Hollywood Studios - These are available from 12/24-12/31 and include reserved seating for Fantasmic.
- Update on check-in times for Tomorrowland Terrace Fireworks Dessert Party - If your reservation is between 6:00 and 6:20pm, you should check in one hour before the fireworks.
- Exposition Park, home to the Disney food trucks, opens at Downtown Disney - This area is located between Bongo's Cuban Cafe and Starbucks.
- Memory Maker pre-purchase price raised to $169 - The price was previously $149.
- Character meals planned for Star Wars Weekends - The Jedi Mickey's Star Wars Dine and the Star Wars Galactic Dine-In Breakfast are back for the second year.
- The Paul McKenna Band joins entertainment at United Kingdom Pavilion - The 4-piece acoustic folk band will perform several times daily.
- Dates announced for 2015 Star Wars Weekends - The event will be held Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays, May 15 - June 14, 2015
- December merchandise events at Walt Disney World - Meet Disney artists for signings and appearances around Walt Disney World.
- runDisney reveals medals for Princess Half Marathon Weekend - This event will be held 2/19/15 - 2/22/15.
- Blog - Peter Pan's Flight's new queue opens at Magic Kingdom
- Tangled Tributes - Kingdom Crossing at the Magic Kingdom - I've been through here many times, but after watching the movie so many times recently, I was really struck by all the details here in the theming. There are so many little nods to the film that most guests probably just walk right by.
- Candlelight Processional begins tonight with narrator Jodi Benson - The Candlelight Processional takes place November 28 - December 30, 2014.
- Blog - Vintage Christmas Merchandise at Walt Disney World
- VIDEO: 2014 Walt Disney World Holiday Showcase - Join JeniLynn Knopp of the DIS Unplugged as she speaks with Steven Miller about holiday merchandise and shopping, Robert Hargrove and Santa Stitch about holiday entertainment, and Flash, Garland and The Boss about decorating Walt Disney World!
- 3 Surprising Things About Working at Mission: SPACE - Hereís a few of the things I learned about the attraction and about being a cast member at Mission: SPACE.
- Blog - A Weekend at Give Kids the World Village
- Christmas Eve dinner available for Disney Vacation Club members - The dinner will include a buffet, Christmas carolers and photo ops with Mickey and Minnie.
- Walt Disney World New Year's Eve dining information - Many of the restaurants will offer special meals or dining events to celebrate the holiday.
- Discounts and payment plans available at Walt Disney World Speedway - Several of the driving experiences are available with a discount through the holidays.
- Epcot's Canadian Lumberjack show on hiatus - The show will resume 1/4/15.
- Play nine holes of golf at Disney for just $29 - Play 9 holes at the Disney golf courses starting anytime between 7:00 and 8:30am for just $29.
- Details for 2015 Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival - Anna and Elsa topiaries will be on display at World Showcase Plaza.
- Epcot's Spice Road Table now accepts reservations - Reservations are available beginning December 2.
- The Comedy Warehouse Holiday Special to return to Hollywood Studios - This improvisational comedy show will return to the Premier Theater at Hollywood Studios from December 21, 2014 - January 4, 2015.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Magic Kingdom Hub - Cinderella Castle - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Magic Kingdom Hub - Cinderella Castle
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - The Diamond Horseshoe Balcony - The Diamond Horseshoe - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at The Diamond Horseshoe Balcony - The Diamond Horseshoe
- Save up to 30% on a stay at Aulani - Discount is available most nights 4/6 - 6/15/15.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Bay Lake Tower 15th Floor - Magic Kingdom - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Bay Lake Tower 15th Floor - Magic Kingdom
- Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party sold out on November 20 - There are still many MVMCP dates available.
- Plan B Character Dining at Walt Disney World - If youíre looking to make a reservation for a character meal and canít get one, weíve got a couple of suggestions for places you may not have thought of.
- Blizzard Beach to be closed November 17 due to cold temperatures - Typhoon Lagoon is already closed for its annual refurbishment.
- Top 5(+) things that are better at Walt Disney World than at Disneyland - Bigger may not always be better, but isn't always worse either. I can't resist countering with an article that lists, in my view, the things that are better at Walt Disney World.
- Guests meeting Santa at Downtown Disney have new notification option - Guests will get pagers if the wait exceeds 30 minutes (or they can choose to receive a text message instead). When their pager goes off and they return to Santa's Chalet, they will have about a 20 minute wait.
- Disney Visa cardholders get a special gift when taking advantage of Aulani discount - When booking the 4th night free offer, Disney Visa cardholders will also receive a special Welcome Gift at check-in with specialty items and signature Aulani merchandise ($98 value).
- SeaWorld lays off Clyde & Seamore mimes, among others
- Man sentenced to 5 years for Disney ticket scam
- Club 33 members upset about more changes to benefits
- Iger says future Star Wars attractions to be based on new films
- SeaWorld's CEO steps down
- Man sues SeaWorld for automatically renewing his annual pass
- Retirement date set for Disney's Meg Crofton
- Woman sues Disney, claiming disability after falling from carousel horse
- Hotel leadership changes at Walt Disney World
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailer released