Tony's Town Square
Review by Kevin Klose - 3/08
I haven’t been to Tony’s Town Square Restaurant in many years. Our last experience was a disaster and the reviews from others have done nothing to lessen my memory.
With this in mind, we agreed, when asked by visiting friends, to join them for dinner at Tony’s Town Square.
Upon arrival, one of our party approached the podium. As there was a very large crowd waiting to be seated…we stood back a bit.
While waiting and chatting, one of the hosts decided that we were standing in the wrong spot. He asked us to move out of the outer area and into the more crowded waiting area. We did as he asked.
In a few short minutes, he asked us to move to a different location. Again…we did as he asked.
This happened a third time and again….we did as he asked, but this time I asked him where he wanted us to stand and to show me the exact spot.
Upon his fourth attempt to make us move yet again, I told him we were done and not moving again. He suggested that he would get a manager and I agreed that he should probably do that.
The manager approached our party of four and asked if there was a problem. We explained that we had no problem, but that his host seemed to be having an issue. He seemed genuinely surprised when I explained what happened and his response was that he gets “nervous when it gets busy.”
My feeling is that working in the world’s busiest theme park might be the wrong career path for someone who gets “nervous when it’s busy.”
Moving on to the actual review…
Tony’s Town Square is named after the restaurant in Disney’s Lady and the Tramp. You remember the spaghetti sharing scene? That takes place at Tony’s (in the movie).
The Walt Disney World version of this movie eatery has very little actual theming. There is a fountain featuring Lady and Tramp in the middle of the restaurant and Tony’s image on the menu, but little else.
I often hear folks say that the theming of a restaurant is almost as important as the food (think Whispering Canyon Café) when visiting Disney. The folks from this camp will probably be disappointed as the theme seems to be “mediocre Italian restaurant.”
Our experience started with our server bringing us bread and a red sauce / tapenade / roasted red pepper topping. The topping was delicious. The bread was refrigerated and stale. I believe we had day old bread. This would have been wonderful with warm, fresh bread.
We ordered 5 of the 7 appetizers ordered. One of us had the Mussels ($10.99) I took a taste and that was enough. I thought they tasted really bad. The person eating them suggested that they weren’t bad after the first few.
Two of our group tried the two available soups (both $5.49). One of the soups was the Minestrone with Orzo. I would describe it as oregano soup with no orzo. The waiter brought a ½ cup of orzo after we had mentioned the missing pasta. The soup of the day was Portobello Mushroom Soup. It was truly dreadful and after a small taste, sat untouched until our server took it away with the comment “didn’t like it…huh?” That was the entire discussion regarding the full bowl of soup being returned.
I had the Tomato Mozzarella Salad ($8.69). It was a large portion with grape tomatoes and many small balls of mozzarella (are you listening Le Cellier….many) in a balsamic dressing with roasted garlic and shallots. It was a nice appetizer presented well. A bit pricey…but good.
The final appetizer was the Calamari ($9.49). It was a nice serving and well prepared. It came with a side of marinara sauce. Skip that and ask for more of the bread topping. It’s MUCH better.
On to the entrees….
Two of our party had the Chicken Parmigiana ($16.99). This consisted of a chicken breast with a small amount of cheese served over a bowl of overcooked spaghetti and a brick red sauce that tasted like pure tomato paste. It would best be described as Chef Boy Ar don’t.
One of us had the Caesar Salad with Chicken (12.99). There is just not a lot to say about this entrée. There was nothing wrong with it is about as descriptive as I can get. It was an acceptable Caesar salad.
I had the Catch of the Day ($21.99) which on the day of our visit was salmon served over Orzo pasta with pancetta, roasted garlic and seasonal vegetables and topped with Balsamic Maple Glaze. This is a very fancy description for what amounted to salmon and pasta. Was it bad? No…it wasn’t bad…but it wasn’t good either and for $22 it should be good to excellent. I can best describe it as non-descript.
We finished our meal with one dessert: the Chef’s signature Cheesecake ($5.49). On that particular day it was Amaretto Cheesecake. It was a very small portion, but what was there was tasty. Four of us tried it and a single bite each…it was gone.
This is one of those disappointing meals that Disney frequently dishes out. It’s not Disney dining….it’s Disney eating…and it can be done much better.
I believe that this location should be one of the premier dining locations in all of Walt Disney World.
There is not another park at WDW with a dining location of this size and scope just inside the front gates and in place of such prominence.
In my opinion, this prime location deserves to be among Disney’s best and sadly, it isn’t even close.
- March merchandise events at Walt Disney World - Merchandise Events and Artist Appearances/Signings to be held around Walt Disney World in March.
- Blog - Magic Kingdom February Construction Update
- Backstage Safari tour ends today; the new Backstage Tales tour will begin March 1 - The new tour will be offered daily.
- New menu items added at Raglan Road - These have been released just in time for St. Patrick's Day.
- Dates announced for Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party - Tickets will go on sale in April.
- Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party dates announced; tickets on sale in April - Dates are available in September-November.
- Magic Kingdom resorts test direct bus to Typhoon Lagoon - As part of a test through March 28, Wilderness Lodge and the Contemporary will share a direct bus to Typhoon Lagoon. The Polynesian and the Grand Floridian will do the same.
- Disney World's Pirates of the Caribbean to be closed for the summer - The ride will be closed from 5/11 - 9/25/2015.
- Why taking kids would never ruin a Disney Vacation - In response to the article Why I Wouldn’t Ruin My Disney Vacation By Taking Kids.
- Raglan Road's Mighty Festival: St Patrick's Week to be held March 13-17 - Downtown Disney celebrates St. Patrick's Day with live music, classic Irish food and drinks, face painting and merchandise at Raglan Road's Shop.
- WonderGround Gallery expands at Marketplace Co-Op - In early March, the WonderGround Gallery will expand into the area occupied by Beautifully Disney makeup.
- New menu items available at Downtown Disney's Fantasy Fare food truck - The food trucks are all located in Exposition Park, between Bongo's Cuban Cafe and Starbucks.
- ESPN's Mike and Mike show celebrates 15th anniversary with live broadcast - The live show will take place March 6, 2015 at the Waterside Stage, Downtown Disney Marketplace from 6:00-10:00am.
- Easy ways to stay healthy at Disney
- The Other Hawaii (Part 1): How to See the Best of the Islands from a Cruise Ship
- Blog - Have you ever wondered? A peek into the Disney details
- Walt Disney World ticket prices increased - As expected, a Magic Kingdom ticket is now $105 per day.
- Seven Resorts In Seven Days Part 7: Disney's Old Key West Resort
- Seven Resorts In Seven Days Part 6: Disney's Boardwalk Inn Resort
- List of several new drinks planned for Epcot Flower & Garden Festival - This year's Festival will be held March 4-May 17, 2015.
- Seven Resorts In Seven Days Part 5: Disney's Yacht Club Resort
- Save up to 30% on a stay at Aulani - booking date extended! - Savings Include: 3-night stays: 10% off, 4-night stays: 20% off, or 5-or more night stays: 30% off
- Blog - Federal Court Dismisses Lawsuit Alleging "Frozen" is "My Life Story"
- Rumor: Walt Disney World ticket prices will increase February 22 - The no-expiration option may be discontinued and a Water Park-Hopper add-on may be introduced. Rumors are also that one-day Magic Kingdom tickets will increase to $105 and one-day tickets to the other theme parks will be priced at $99.
- Spirit of Aloha dinner show cancelled on 2/19/15 - Both the 5:15 and 8:15pm shows have been cancelled.
- Seven Resorts In Seven Days Part 4: Disney's Beach Club Resort
- List of sample menu items from this year's upcoming Flower and Garden Festival - This year's Festival will be held March 4-May 17, 2015.
- 2015 Star Wars Weekends info and artwork released - More info still to come.
- Typhoon Lagoon will be closed 2/18 and 2/19 - This is due to low temperatures in the area.
- Seven Disney Resorts In Seven Days Part 3: Disney's Grand Floridian Resort and Spa
- Seven Disney Resorts In Seven Days Part 2: Disney's Polynesian Village Resort
- Pose with an Oscar statuette at Disney's Hollywood Studios - During regular park hours in the Magic of Disney Animation building, guests can walk the red carpet and pose in front of the Oscars backdrop.
- Big Thunder Mountain refurb moves to April - This was originally scheduled to take place March 4-7, but is now scheduled for April 27-30.
- Seven Disney Resorts In Seven Days Part 1: Disney's Wilderness Lodge Resort
- Blog - Charlotte Olympia Launches Disney's Cinderella Collection
- Blog - Why I Wouldn't Ruin My Disney Vacation By Taking Kids
- Blog - Downtown Disney Construction Update
- Typhoon Lagoon closed through 2/15/15 - This is due to projected low temperatures in the Orlando area.
- 8:15pm Spirit of Aloha dinner show cancelled on 2/13 and 2/14 - The show is being cancelled due to the expected low temperatures.
- Blog - Upcoming Dooney & Bourke Releases at Walt Disney World
- New operating hours for Typhoon Lagoon's Shark Reef - This area opens 2 hours after park opening and closes one hour before park closing or 5:00pm, whichever is first.
- Reservations to be accepted at Be Our Guest beginning Feb. 25 - Reservations will be available for lunch beginning February 25, both by phone and on MyDisneyExperience. If using MyDisneyExperience, you will have the option to pre-order your food and drinks.
- Typhoon Lagoon closed 2/5-2/6 for cold temps - Blizzard Beach is currently closed for its annual scheduled maintenance.
- Blog - Disney's Hollywood Studios Construction Update Part II
- What to Do When You Can't Get into Beaches and Cream
- The Business of Magic: 2015 Food Prices
- Trolley Car Cafe, Hollywood Studios' new Starbucks, to open February 3 - The Cafe is located on Hollywood Blvd in a space previously used as a retail store.
- July 2015 Walt Disney World Park Hours
- Blog - Discovering "The Bare Necessities" of Disney Life Between Disney Vacations
- February Merchandise Events and Artist Appearances/Signings - Disney artists regularly make appearances around the Walt Disney World Resort.
- Whispering Canyon Cafe breakfast moves to Artist Point for 2 days - The Whispering Canyon Cafe's breakfast will be served in Artist Point on 2/5/15 and 2/12/15 due to work in the hotel's lobby. The full breakfast menu, except for pancakes, will be available.
- Modified routes for the monorail in February and early March - Modified routes will take place February 3-5, 9-12, 23-26 and March 2-5 from 11am-7pm.
- 2015 Night of Joy entertainers announced - Night of Joy will be held at the Magic Kingdom on September 11 - 12, 2015.
- Blog - Do You Own the Space Above You in a Theme Park?
- Rumor: Walt Disney World ticket prices to increase in February - Rumors are that ticket prices will go up in mid-February. The no-expiration option may be discontinued and a Water Park-Hopper add-on may be introduced.
- Blog - INTERVIEW – Billy Magnussen: The 'Other Prince' in Into The Wood
- Running the Parks Part 3 - Disney Running Resources - In this post I discuss some of the resources I have found to be most useful when doing research for a Disney running vacation.
- Take a baby to a Disney theme park? Are you nuts?
- List of restaurants and retailers coming to The Landing at Disney Springs - The first phase of Disney Springs will open in Spring 2015.
- Annual Passholder mini golf discount drops to 15% - Previously the discount had been 50% off of miniature golf.
- Blog - Disney's Hollywood Studios Construction Update
- Splitsville to feature live bands on Saturday nights - Every Saturday, 9:00pm-12:30am, a live band will take the stage in the Bullet Bar for a free concert.
- Kali River Rapids begins 2-week rehab - The Animal Kingdom attraction will be closed through February 2.
- Blog - Disney & Starbucks Bring New Mug Collection to Stores
- Polynesian DVC Resort can soon be booked by general public - Beginning February 11, these can be booked by the general public when they are not in use by DVC members. The bungalows will have limited availability.
- Downtown Disney internal boats will not stop at Pleasure Island - They will only run between the Marketplace and West Side.
- Blog - Disney asks Court to Dismiss "Absurd" Frozen Copyright Lawsuit
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Backlot Express - Star Tours - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Backlot Express - Star Tours
- Dates announced for 2015 Epcot Food and Wine Festival - The Festival will be held September 25-November 16, 2015.
- Epcot Flower Power Concerts renamed "Garden Rocks Concert Series" - The Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival will be held March 4-May 17.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Stormalong Bay - Crescent Lake - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Stormalong Bay - Crescent Lake January 5, 2014 - Afternoon
- Happy 40th birthday to Space Mountain! - Along with Carousel of Progress, this Magic Kingdom attraction opened on January 15, 1975.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Hollywood Boulevard - Sorcerer Mickey Hat - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Hollywood Boulevard - Sorcerer Mickey Hat
- Blog - 1/14/15: Magic Kingdom Hub Construction Update
- SeaWorld lays off Clyde & Seamore mimes, among others
- Man sentenced to 5 years for Disney ticket scam
- Club 33 members upset about more changes to benefits
- Iger says future Star Wars attractions to be based on new films
- SeaWorld's CEO steps down
- Man sues SeaWorld for automatically renewing his annual pass
- Retirement date set for Disney's Meg Crofton
- Woman sues Disney, claiming disability after falling from carousel horse
- Hotel leadership changes at Walt Disney World
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailer released