Tony's Town Square
Review by Kevin Klose - 3/08
I haven’t been to Tony’s Town Square Restaurant in many years. Our last experience was a disaster and the reviews from others have done nothing to lessen my memory.
With this in mind, we agreed, when asked by visiting friends, to join them for dinner at Tony’s Town Square.
Upon arrival, one of our party approached the podium. As there was a very large crowd waiting to be seated…we stood back a bit.
While waiting and chatting, one of the hosts decided that we were standing in the wrong spot. He asked us to move out of the outer area and into the more crowded waiting area. We did as he asked.
In a few short minutes, he asked us to move to a different location. Again…we did as he asked.
This happened a third time and again….we did as he asked, but this time I asked him where he wanted us to stand and to show me the exact spot.
Upon his fourth attempt to make us move yet again, I told him we were done and not moving again. He suggested that he would get a manager and I agreed that he should probably do that.
The manager approached our party of four and asked if there was a problem. We explained that we had no problem, but that his host seemed to be having an issue. He seemed genuinely surprised when I explained what happened and his response was that he gets “nervous when it gets busy.”
My feeling is that working in the world’s busiest theme park might be the wrong career path for someone who gets “nervous when it’s busy.”
Moving on to the actual review…
Tony’s Town Square is named after the restaurant in Disney’s Lady and the Tramp. You remember the spaghetti sharing scene? That takes place at Tony’s (in the movie).
The Walt Disney World version of this movie eatery has very little actual theming. There is a fountain featuring Lady and Tramp in the middle of the restaurant and Tony’s image on the menu, but little else.
I often hear folks say that the theming of a restaurant is almost as important as the food (think Whispering Canyon Café) when visiting Disney. The folks from this camp will probably be disappointed as the theme seems to be “mediocre Italian restaurant.”
Our experience started with our server bringing us bread and a red sauce / tapenade / roasted red pepper topping. The topping was delicious. The bread was refrigerated and stale. I believe we had day old bread. This would have been wonderful with warm, fresh bread.
We ordered 5 of the 7 appetizers ordered. One of us had the Mussels ($10.99) I took a taste and that was enough. I thought they tasted really bad. The person eating them suggested that they weren’t bad after the first few.
Two of our group tried the two available soups (both $5.49). One of the soups was the Minestrone with Orzo. I would describe it as oregano soup with no orzo. The waiter brought a ½ cup of orzo after we had mentioned the missing pasta. The soup of the day was Portobello Mushroom Soup. It was truly dreadful and after a small taste, sat untouched until our server took it away with the comment “didn’t like it…huh?” That was the entire discussion regarding the full bowl of soup being returned.
I had the Tomato Mozzarella Salad ($8.69). It was a large portion with grape tomatoes and many small balls of mozzarella (are you listening Le Cellier….many) in a balsamic dressing with roasted garlic and shallots. It was a nice appetizer presented well. A bit pricey…but good.
The final appetizer was the Calamari ($9.49). It was a nice serving and well prepared. It came with a side of marinara sauce. Skip that and ask for more of the bread topping. It’s MUCH better.
On to the entrees….
Two of our party had the Chicken Parmigiana ($16.99). This consisted of a chicken breast with a small amount of cheese served over a bowl of overcooked spaghetti and a brick red sauce that tasted like pure tomato paste. It would best be described as Chef Boy Ar don’t.
One of us had the Caesar Salad with Chicken (12.99). There is just not a lot to say about this entrée. There was nothing wrong with it is about as descriptive as I can get. It was an acceptable Caesar salad.
I had the Catch of the Day ($21.99) which on the day of our visit was salmon served over Orzo pasta with pancetta, roasted garlic and seasonal vegetables and topped with Balsamic Maple Glaze. This is a very fancy description for what amounted to salmon and pasta. Was it bad? No…it wasn’t bad…but it wasn’t good either and for $22 it should be good to excellent. I can best describe it as non-descript.
We finished our meal with one dessert: the Chef’s signature Cheesecake ($5.49). On that particular day it was Amaretto Cheesecake. It was a very small portion, but what was there was tasty. Four of us tried it and a single bite each…it was gone.
This is one of those disappointing meals that Disney frequently dishes out. It’s not Disney dining….it’s Disney eating…and it can be done much better.
I believe that this location should be one of the premier dining locations in all of Walt Disney World.
There is not another park at WDW with a dining location of this size and scope just inside the front gates and in place of such prominence.
In my opinion, this prime location deserves to be among Disney’s best and sadly, it isn’t even close.
- Epcot After Hours Wind Down extended through November 9 - Stick around after IllumiNations for an evening at one of 4 exclusive lounges featuring food and beverages from award-winning Epcot chefs and sommeliers.
- Blog - Review: "Guardians of the Galaxy" combines humor, action, and a stellar cast to become the perfect summer blockbuster
- All-Star Music food court closes for refurbishment - The Intermission Food Court will be closed 8/1/14-12/20/14 for refurb.
- New events added to Epcot International Food & Wine Festival - Late Nights LIVE! and new Premium Package events added.
- Astro Orbiter rehab extended by one week - Originally scheduled to end September 19, the ride will now reopen September 28.
- Food & Wine Festival Premium events now available for booking - This includes seminars, signature dining experiences and other special events.
- Changes coming to Move It, Shake It, Celebrate It Street Party? - An update is rumored for this parade later this year, possibly around October. Possible changes are new music; Mickey, Minnie, Goofy and Donald moving to the top of the floats; and Stitch joining the fun. Sebastian, Lumiere, and The Mad Hatter will leave the parade.
- During pool rehab, Polynesian guests will have free admission to Blizzard Beach - Originally, the resort guests were just going to be given one-day tickets to the water park, but that has been changed. They will now have complimentary unlimited admission to Blizzard Beach during their stay at the Polynesian.
- List of restaurants participating in the 2015 Disney Dining Plan - This list will be updated as more restaurants are added. Epcot and Downtown Disney restaurants don't normally finalize their participation until later in the year.
- 2015 Magic Your Way Disney World packages released! - A Walt Disney World package is a resort room and theme park admission. The Disney Dining Plan may also be added.
- Happy 15th Birthday to Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith! - The attraction originally opened its doors at Disney’s Hollywood Studios on July 29, 1999.
- Victoria & Albert's will no longer accept Tables in Wonderland - This begins August 1, 2014.
- Summertime Pals Ink & Paint Cel release - This limited release will be available at the event, or pre-order by September 25 at 5:00pm EST.
- Haunted Mansion merchandise shop coming to Magic Kingdom - The former Yankee Trader shop will become a Haunted Mansion merchandise location in the near future. The decor will be inspired by Madame Leota and will carry items from the Haunted Mansion Authentic program, such as apparel, home goods, souvenirs and more.
- Merchandise Events and Artist Appearances/Signings for August - List of authors and artists coming to the theme parks for signings and merchandise releases.
- List of characters updated for Villains Unleashed! event - Over 50 Disney villains will be taking over the park until the 13th hour!
- Beginning today, PhotoPass print packages are no longer offered table-side at character meals - This includes Chef Mickey's, 1900 Park Fare, 'Ohana, Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue, Disney's Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show and Tusker House Restaurant.
- Disney Visa cardholders can book Food & Wine Festival events early - Disney Visa cardholders can book special events two days earlier than the general public - on July 29 and July 30 from 7:00am-11:00pm EST.
- Tables in Wonderland adds blackout dates for several restaurants - The Tables in Wonderland program offers Florida Residents, DVC members and Annual Passholders 20% off of all food and beverage purchases at the participating Disney restaurants.
- Information on Holiday sleigh rides at Fort Wilderness - This horse-drawn "sleigh" ride is a fun way to celebrate the season.
- Marketplace menus for Epot International Food & Wine Festival - List of menu items for the marketplaces set up around World Showcase.
- Rehab planned in November for Magic Carpets of Aladdin - The Magic Kingdom attraction will be closed 11/10 - 11/21/2014.
- Food & Wine Festival Special Dining Experiences released - Bookings for these experiences begin July 31.
- 10 Places to Wait Out a Thunderstorm at Walt Disney World
- Disney Castaway Cay Challenge added to Princess Half Marathon Weekend - Runners who are registered for any of the Disney races (5K or longer) during the Weekend have the option to complete the Disney Castaway Cay Challenge when sailing on the Disney Dream February 23-27.
- Fantasia Miniature Golf Course rehab planned off and on for the next two weeks - Gardens Course closed 7/22-7/25/2014, 7/28-8/1/2014, 8/4-8/8/2014. The Fairways will still be open.
- Blog - I Can Go The Distance: Deciding is one thing, registering is another
- Save up to 30% on a Room Only reservation at Walt Disney World! - Valid for stays most nights 10/4/14 - 11/25/14 and 11/29/14 - 12/23/14.
- 2015 WDW hotel discount released for U.S. Military - Valid for stays most nights 9/28/14 - 10/3/15.
- All 3 remaining weekends sold out for Harambe Nights - July 26, August 2 and August 9 are sold out.
- Annual passholder discount for Spice Road Table - Through 9/17/14, Annual Passholders can get a 30% discount on their bill.
- 2015 Military Ticket Discount info released - Members of the military can purchase 4-day Magic Your Way tickets with Park Hopper option for $177 each.
- Changes to reservation times for Wishes Dessert Party - Reservations are all being set for 6:00pm, no matter when Wishes is taking place. The dessert party will actually take place one hour before Wishes.
- Frozen Summer Fun Premium package is sold out for all remaining dates - This package gives guests at Frozen Summer Fun Live reserved viewing for several events.
- Wild by Design tour to be discontinued after 9/26/14 - This tour takes place at Disney's Animal Kingdom.
- Fantasy Football Convention coming to ESPN Wide World of Sports - The convention will give attendees access to ESPN talent, a live fantasy football draft and more.
- Blog - Sneak Preview of What's Coming to the 2014 Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
- Dates and pricing released for ICE! at Gaylord Palms - Using two million pounds of ice, this Gaylord Palms Resort special ticket exhibit will be transformed into the North Pole.
- Blog - Disney's Magical Express Age Limit Changes: A Parent's & Teacher's Perspective
- Blog - Five Reasons Why We're Not Seeing "Planes: Fire & Rescue" in Theaters
- Blog updated - I Just Spent $20 on FastPasses! Would You? - The author has taken the tour she discussed in the blog - check out her thoughts to see if she would do this again!
- Blog - July 2014 Magic Kingdom Construction Update
- Information for Food & Wine Festival special dining experiences - book 7/31 - Premium events will be announced July 24 and can be booked on July 31 beginning at 7:00am EST. To book, call 407-WDW-FEST (939-3378).
- Princess Half Marathon fills in less than 24 hours - The Princess Half Marathon, the Princess Enchanted 10K and the Glass Slipper Challenge are sold out, filling less than 24 hours after registration opened.
- Dolphins at Epcot will be offstage through August 7 - Guests will not be able to see the dolphins at The Seas with Nemo & Friends. The Dolphins in Depth Tour will be unavailable during this time as well.
- Changes in parking due to Downtown Disney Remodel - Speeds in the area will be reduced, as well as lanes closed. Buena Vista Drive will be expanded to 10 lanes.
- Blog - Disney Responds to Disability Access Service Lawsuit
- Walt Disney World exec leaves to head up Disneyland Paris
- SeaWorld no longer partnering with Southwest Airlines
- Walt Disney World 2015 packages now available to book
- High-speed train will link Shanghai Disneyland to city
- "Clyde and Seamore Take Pirate Island" show cancelled at SeaWorld
- PBS plans Walt Disney biopic
- Release date set for 5th Pirates of the Caribbean film
- Man arrested at Typhoon Lagoon for molesting 4 teenage girls
- Standby line to be cut off in Anna and Elsa meet and greet
- Disney's second quarter injury report: 12-year-old boy cuts fingers on Pirates ride