Tips For Senior Mickey Fans and Guests Requiring Medical Attention at Walt Disney World.
Let's face it, getting older is a fact of life and certain adjustments have to be made. There's no reason to sit in the hotel room while the family enjoys the parks. You can join in with the right planning.
- Take the time to read the posted precautions for the attractions. There are some medical conditions that can be aggravated if you go on the ride. Please take the warnings seriously.
- If you're with a mixed age group, rather than sit on the bench waiting for the others to enjoy the thrill rides, schedule a tour for yourself.
- Fast Pass is a great system. While it is offered at many thrill rides, there are some milder attractions that have this option. Get familiar with how it works and you'll bypass the lines.
- Don't leave your pills behind. If you do, call your doctor to see if it's safe to go a few days without them. If not, have them call your prescription into a local pharmacy. The resort staff may be able to assist you in finding one that delivers or in recommending one that's a short taxi ride away.
- If your medication requires refrigeration, all but the Disney Value Resorts have a small fridge in the room. If you are staying at either the All Star or Pop Century resorts, you can rent a refrigerator.
- Keep an updated list of emergency contacts with you. If you need help, it will make it that much easier to get your medical history.
- Carry your health insurance cards.
- If you're traveling during the hotter times of year, your age/health status can make you more vulnerable to problems. Take a look at our tips for dealing with the Florida heat.
- Renting a car? If you're authorized for handicap parking, bring a placard with you.
- Walking, walking, and more walking. If you're not used to it, you'll feel the effects after a few hours in the parks. Think about renting a wheelchair. You may not normally use one at home, but you don't normally do this much walking. There's nothing wrong in getting the equipment that you need to enjoy your time at Walt Disney World.
- If you do bring a wheelchair or ECV of your own, most of the Disney buses can accommodate them. If a bus arrives that is not equipped, the driver will contact transportation on your behalf.
- All Disney Resorts have handicapped accessible rooms. Be sure to request what you require before arriving at your resort.
- Dietary restrictions are something many are faced with. The Disney staff is excellent at accommodating your needs. It's best if you make a dining reservation and contact the restaurant in advance.
- First Aid Stations are located in each of the theme parks. There's no reason to go all the way back to your resort if you have a problem that they can help you with.
- Vacations aren't cheap. You may want to consider purchasing trip insurance. If you have a pre-existing condition, do your homework to see if it's covered.
See AllDIS UPDATES
- Fantasia Miniature Golf Course rehab planned off and on for the next two weeks - Gardens Course closed 7/22-7/25/2014, 7/28-8/1/2014, 8/4-8/8/2014. The Fairways will still be open.
- Blog - I Can Go The Distance: Deciding is one thing, registering is another
- Save up to 30% on a Room Only reservation at Walt Disney World! - Valid for stays most nights 10/4/14 - 11/25/14 and 11/29/14 - 12/23/14.
- 2015 WDW hotel discount released for U.S. Military - Valid for stays most nights 9/28/14 - 10/3/15.
- All 3 remaining weekends sold out for Harambe Nights - July 26, August 2 and August 9 are sold out.
- Annual passholder discount for Spice Road Table - Through 9/17/14, Annual Passholders can get a 30% discount on their bill.
- 2015 Military Ticket Discount info released - Members of the military can purchase 4-day Magic Your Way tickets with Park Hopper option for $177 each.
- Changes to reservation times for Wishes Dessert Party - Reservations are all being set for 6:00pm, no matter when Wishes is taking place. The dessert party will actually take place one hour before Wishes.
- Frozen Summer Fun Premium package is sold out for all remaining dates - This package gives guests at Frozen Summer Fun Live reserved viewing for several events.
- Wild by Design tour to be discontinued after 9/26/14 - This tour takes place at Disney's Animal Kingdom.
- Fantasy Football Convention coming to ESPN Wide World of Sports - The convention will give attendees access to ESPN talent, a live fantasy football draft and more.
- Blog - Sneak Preview of What's Coming to the 2014 Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
- Dates and pricing released for ICE! at Gaylord Palms - Using two million pounds of ice, this Gaylord Palms Resort special ticket exhibit will be transformed into the North Pole.
- Blog - Disney's Magical Express Age Limit Changes: A Parent's & Teacher's Perspective
- Blog - Five Reasons Why We're Not Seeing "Planes: Fire & Rescue" in Theaters
- Blog updated - I Just Spent $20 on FastPasses! Would You? - The author has taken the tour she discussed in the blog - check out her thoughts to see if she would do this again!
- Blog - July 2014 Magic Kingdom Construction Update
- Information for Food & Wine Festival special dining experiences - book 7/31 - Premium events will be announced July 24 and can be booked on July 31 beginning at 7:00am EST. To book, call 407-WDW-FEST (939-3378).
- Princess Half Marathon fills in less than 24 hours - The Princess Half Marathon, the Princess Enchanted 10K and the Glass Slipper Challenge are sold out, filling less than 24 hours after registration opened.
- Dolphins at Epcot will be offstage through August 7 - Guests will not be able to see the dolphins at The Seas with Nemo & Friends. The Dolphins in Depth Tour will be unavailable during this time as well.
- Changes in parking due to Downtown Disney Remodel - Speeds in the area will be reduced, as well as lanes closed. Buena Vista Drive will be expanded to 10 lanes.
- Blog - Disney Responds to Disability Access Service Lawsuit
See AllDISNEY NEWS STORIES
- Standby line to be cut off in Anna and Elsa meet and greet
- Disney's second quarter injury report: 12-year-old boy cuts fingers on Pirates ride
- 30 years in prison for man who molested girl at SeaWorld
- Possible agreement reached between Disney and unions
- Disney's CEO Bob Iger honored as CEO of the Year by Chief Executive magazine
- Trattoria al Forno to replace Cat Cora's Kouzzina at Disney World
- Technical glitch causes Universal's Transformers ride to stall
- Report: Monorail evacuated after lightning strike
- Military resource support group launches for Disney cast members
- Magic Kingdom guest got tips of fingers cut off on Pirates of the Caribbean
More Info ORLANDO HOTELS
See All DISNEY DISCUSSIONS