Magic Kingdom - Prince Charming Regal Carrousel
Prince Charming Regal Carrousel
Ride Length: 2 minutes
Legend has it that Walt Disney was inspired to include a carrousel in his park after taking his daughters to the merry-go-round at LA's Griffith Park.
The carrousel was built by Italian woodcarvers in 1917 and featured at Olympic Park in Maplewood, New Jersey. For trivia fans, it's technically the oldest attraction in Fantasyland. It plays Disney tunes as it spins.
When Disney acquired it, the company artists refurbished the 90 horses so that no two are exactly alike. There are eighteen hand- painted scenes that tell the story of Cinderella on the wooden canopy that covers this attraction.
The attraction was known as Cinderella's Golden Carrousel until June 2010 when the name was changed to Prince Charming Regal Carrousel to better fit with the plans for New Fantasyland. The official backstory for the name change says:
"There's a lot of history behind Prince Charming Regal Carrousel. After their wedding, Cinderella and her Prince Charming moved into Cinderella’s Castle. The Prince decided that he had some spare time on his hands since the kingdom was so peaceful. He wanted to enter some jousting tournaments, but needed a little practice. In some spare land near the castle, he built a contraption that would help him train. It was a circular platform that held carved horses, big enough to ride on. A trainee would sit on a wooden horse while the platform spun, allowing him to practice ring-spearing, one of the popular tournament events. In this event, a knight rides his horse as fast as he can, and attempts to use his lance to spear a small ring hanging from a tree branch. The ring-spearing event was known as “carrousel.”
Soon, everyone in the village noticed the Prince’s “new toy.” To give everyone a chance to experience it, Prince Charming built another carrousel nearer to the Castle. The new carrousel was made to fit the splendor of the Castle Courtyard, by decorating the horses with golden helmets and shields, flowers, and medallions. All the villagers are invited to take a spin on the carrousel and enjoy a taste of the royal life."
This 2-minute ride is perfect for young children. This is considered a minor attraction but it is a bit slow-loading so there may be a line.
Handicapped accessibility: Guests must be able to transfer from their chairs in order to ride.
Tip: If you're a frequent visitor, take a photo of your little one with each visit and watch him/her "grow" over the years.
- Swank - "Great Picture opportunities, and with the low wait times a must do."
- disneyman1963 - "Riding a carousel, you know what to expect. This is top notch with great Disney music."
More Prince Charming Regal Carrousel Reviews
- Save up to 30% on a Room Only reservation at Walt Disney World! - Valid for stays most nights 10/4/14 - 11/25/14 and 11/29/14 - 12/23/14.
- 2015 WDW hotel discount released for U.S. Military - Valid for stays most nights 9/28/14 - 10/3/15.
- All 3 remaining weekends sold out for Harambe Nights - July 26, August 2 and August 9 are sold out.
- Annual passholder discount for Spice Road Table - Through 9/17/14, Annual Passholders can get a 30% discount on their bill.
- 2015 Military Ticket Discount info released - Members of the military can purchase 4-day Magic Your Way tickets with Park Hopper option for $177 each.
- Changes to reservation times for Wishes Dessert Party - Reservations are all being set for 6:00pm, no matter when Wishes is taking place. The dessert party will actually take place one hour before Wishes.
- Frozen Summer Fun Premium package is sold out for all remaining dates - This package gives guests at Frozen Summer Fun Live reserved viewing for several events.
- Wild by Design tour to be discontinued after 9/26/14 - This tour takes place at Disney's Animal Kingdom.
- Fantasy Football Convention coming to ESPN Wide World of Sports - The convention will give attendees access to ESPN talent, a live fantasy football draft and more.
- Blog - Sneak Preview of What's Coming to the 2014 Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
- Dates and pricing released for ICE! at Gaylord Palms - Using two million pounds of ice, this Gaylord Palms Resort special ticket exhibit will be transformed into the North Pole.
- Blog - Disney's Magical Express Age Limit Changes: A Parent's & Teacher's Perspective
- Blog - Five Reasons Why We're Not Seeing "Planes: Fire & Rescue" in Theaters
- Blog updated - I Just Spent $20 on FastPasses! Would You? - The author has taken the tour she discussed in the blog - check out her thoughts to see if she would do this again!
- Blog - July 2014 Magic Kingdom Construction Update
- Information for Food & Wine Festival special dining experiences - book 7/31 - Premium events will be announced July 24 and can be booked on July 31 beginning at 7:00am EST. To book, call 407-WDW-FEST (939-3378).
- Princess Half Marathon fills in less than 24 hours - The Princess Half Marathon, the Princess Enchanted 10K and the Glass Slipper Challenge are sold out, filling less than 24 hours after registration opened.
- Dolphins at Epcot will be offstage through August 7 - Guests will not be able to see the dolphins at The Seas with Nemo & Friends. The Dolphins in Depth Tour will be unavailable during this time as well.
- Changes in parking due to Downtown Disney Remodel - Speeds in the area will be reduced, as well as lanes closed. Buena Vista Drive will be expanded to 10 lanes.
- Blog - Disney Responds to Disability Access Service Lawsuit
- Disney's second quarter injury report: 12-year-old boy cuts fingers on Pirates ride
- 30 years in prison for man who molested girl at SeaWorld
- Possible agreement reached between Disney and unions
- Disney's CEO Bob Iger honored as CEO of the Year by Chief Executive magazine
- Trattoria al Forno to replace Cat Cora's Kouzzina at Disney World
- Technical glitch causes Universal's Transformers ride to stall
- Report: Monorail evacuated after lightning strike
- Military resource support group launches for Disney cast members
- Magic Kingdom guest got tips of fingers cut off on Pirates of the Caribbean
- Elizabeth Mitchell cast on Once Upon A Time
Today's Theme Park Hours
Epcot Future World:
Epcot World Showcase:
|9:00 - 1:00
9:00 - 9:00
11:00 - 9:00
9:00 - 10:00
9:00 - 8:00
9:00 - 8:00
9:00 - 8:00
Extra Magic Hours Morning: Animal Kingdom