"The launch of ESPN+ marks the beginning of an exciting new era of innovation for our media businesses — one defined by an increasingly direct and personal relationship with consumers. This new product reflects our direct-to-consumer strategy focused on combining our beloved brands with our proprietary, industry-leading technology to give users unparalleled access to our world-class content."Naturally, the main selling point of a streaming service for sports fans is access to live sporting events. Here is what ESPN+ has to offer in that regard:
- First off, ESPN+ promises baseball fans a live game every day of the season, totaling more than 180 games.
- Hockey fans will get similar treatment, with a game a day for the 2018-2019 regular season.
- Out-of-market games for both aforementioned sports will be purchasable for separate fees; an MLB out-of-market package will be available for $25 per month and a similar NHL package is expected.
- The service will provide exclusive access to over 250 Major League Soccer games including exclusive access to the full out-of-market schedule. As a special perk for Chicago-area customers, ESPN+ will also make all Chicago Fire in-market games available.
- Lovers of the sweet science will have a year-round schedule of Top Rank Boxing matches; the first of such being Amir Khan vs. Phil Lo Greco in Liverpool on April 21st.
- College sports conferences under ESPN+'s content umbrella will include America East, ASun, Big South, Big West, Horizon, Ivy League, MAAC, MAC, MEAC, Missouri Valley, NEC, Southern Conference, Southland, Summit League, Sun Belt, WAC and more.
- As for Tennis, subscribers will have matches from Wimbledon, the U.S. Open, and the Australian Open at their disposal.
- Over 100 days of PGA golfing event coverage will be broadcast on the service.
- Rugby matches from SANZAAR, the HSBC World Rugby Sevens series, and Major League Rugby have made their way to ESPN+. The service will host 18 regular-season matches from Major League Rugby, the new American rugby league seeing its first season.
- Lastly, ESPN+ will have international cricket matches from New Zealand Cricket and Cricket Ireland.
"ESPN was built on a belief in innovation and the powerful connection between sports and a remarkable array of fans. That same belief is at the heart of ESPN+ and the new ESPN App. With ESPN+, fans have access to thousands more live games, world class original programs and on-demand sports content, all at a great price. They will get all of that as a part of a completely re-imagined, increasingly personalized ESPN App that provides easy, one-stop access to everything ESPN offers."Sources: The Hollywood Reporter, Variety