Epcot - Ellen's Energy Adventure
|Main Page||Future World||World Showcase|
|Map of Epcot||Mission: Space|
|Captain EO||Spaceship Earth|
|Imagination!||Universe of Energy|
|The Seas with Nemo and Friends||Restaurants/Dining|
|Turtle Talk with Crush||Shows and Events|
Universe of Energy - Ellen's Energy Adventure
Opened: October 1, 1982
Length: 45 minutes
The Universe of Energy is home to "Ellen's Energy Adventure." It's a cute look back at the prehistoric origins of today's energy sources.
First, take a look at the amount of time you need for this one. The show begins every 17 minutes. (The lobby show is 8 minutes long followed by 37 minutes in the traveling theater cars.) This isn't the type of attraction that you can leave mid-stream. Once you're in those cars, you'd better plan on staying as there's no easy way out.
The show stars Ellen DeGeneres. Ellen wasn't part of the show back in '82 when this attraction first opened. On September 15, 1996, "Ellen's Energy Adventure" debuted as Disney capitalized on the success of her sitcom. (Over at MGM they once had "Ellen's Buy the Book.") Lucky for them she now hosts a top-rated talk show.
The 'Adventure' begins with Ellen falling asleep while watching Jeopardy. She finds herself in a nightmare where she's pitted against her college rival "Smart Judy", played by Jamie Lee Curtis. All of the Jeopardy categories are energy-related, something Ellen knows little about.
Her neighbor just happens to be Bill Nye the Science Guy. He takes Ellen under his wing and they embark on a trip back to prehistoric times. At this point, the 600-seat theatre rotates and breaks up into 6 enormous "cars" that accompany Ellen and Bill as they travel in pursuit of the origin of energy.
Amazing Audio-animatronic dinosaurs are part of Ellen's adventure. This part of the ride is just about the same as it was since '82. Still, with the addition of the Ellen storyline, it's a lot more enjoyable.
This is a real sensory experience. The dark lighting sets the stage. You hear the roars of the dinosaurs and there's a distinct odor in the air. It's best described as 'slightly damp basement.' You hear Ellen and Bill Nye as you travel along and Ellen pops up from time to time. (Not the real Ellen, the animatronic version of her.)
With Ellen's new found knowledge of energy, she returns to play Final Jeopardy against "Smart Judy." (We won't give away how the game ends.)
Again, this is one looooooong attraction. Since it has such a high rider capacity, it's a great choice on those busy, hot days when you need to take a break. Besides that, hey, it's Ellen. You know there are going to be some laughs along the way.
Handicapped Accessibility: Guests in ECVs must be able to transfer
to a wheelchair. For guests who are hearing impaired, assistive
listening devices are available at Guest Services.
- This ride is mostly powered by the 2 acres of solar panels that sit on the roof. The equivalent power could supply enough energy to power 15 homes!
- See if you can spot Michael Richards (Kramer from Seinfeld) in the film.
- Bring a small penlight flashlight for kids who may be frightened by the dark sequences. The show holds about 600 people, so don't be concerned if you think it appears crowded.
- In the fight scene between the T-rex and the stegosaurus there is a large plant shaped like Mickey’s head to the front, right side of the dinosaurs.
- TAKitty - "My sister and I both enjoy this ride. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone wanting to do and see everything at Epcot in a day because it does eat up a big chunk of your time."
- SheenaXena21 - "This is another favorite. It's long, but I don't mind. I think it's funny and educational. Always a must do for us."
More Universe of Energy Reviews
- Dates and seminars announced for Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Food & Wine Classic - 2014 will be the 5th year for this event that features wine and beer seminars, tasting stations and live music.
- VIDEO: 2014 Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival - One of the most welcome signs of spring is Epcot's annual International Flower & Garden Festival. While the grounds at Epcot are always beautiful, the Flower and Garden Festival takes them to the next level. At the festival you'll find gardens, topiaries, play areas, outdoor food kitchens, exhibits, music, and more.
- Blog - Disney's Festival of Fantasy Parade debuts at the Magic Kingdom!
- VIDEO - Disney Festival of Fantasy Parade - Festival of Fantasy is the brand new daily parade at the Magic Kingdom bringing the characters and stories of New Fantasyland to life! Brand new floats and costumes were produced for the parade featuring characters from Frozen, Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, Princess and the Frog, Brave, Dumbo, Pinocchio, The Little Mermaid, Peter Pan, Sleeping Beauty, Tangled, Fantasia, Snow White and more!
- Photo Gallery of the Disney Festival of Fantasy Parade - The "Disney Festival of Fantasy Parade" celebrates New Fantasyland with new innovative floats, costumes and an all-new soundtrack that features songs from popular Disney films.
- VIDEO - Topiaries at Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival - The Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival is better than before in 2014 and features some of the most beautiful and elaborate topiaries seen anywhere. New this year includes 'Spring is in the Air!' featuring Goofy, Donald and Daisy as you enter the park; Soccer Goofy and Donald; and Kermit the Frog & Miss Piggy inspired by "Muppets Most Wanted". Returning favorites include Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Buzz Lightyear, Lightning McQueen, Tow Mater, Phineas and Ferb, Tinker Bell, Bambi and Friends, Peter Pan and Captain Hook, Winnie the Pooh and Friends, Classic Disney Couples, Woody, Lady and the Tramp, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, The Lion King, Pandas, Troll and Fantasia!
- VIDEO - Outdoor Kitchens at Epcot Flower & Garden Festival - After the popular introduction in 2013, the outdoor kitchens are back at the 2014 Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival serving up some of the finest and freshest food at Epcot in a similar fashion to the Food & Wine Festival. Outdoor kitchens include Pineapple Promenade, The Buttercup Cottage, Fleur de Lys, Taste of Marrakesh, Hanami, The Smokehouse: Barbecue and Brews, Primavera Kitchen, Florida Fresh, Lotus House, Jardin de Fiestas, and the new Urban Farm EATS!
- VIDEO - Festival Center at the Flower & Garden Festival - Video of the Festival Center at Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival 2014. The festival center is where you can find many of the seminars and presentations featured during the Festival.
- 2014 Flower & Garden Festival Photos - 2014 photo gallery of Epcot's International Flower & Garden Festival
- Inaugural Disney Fit Challenge to be held in September - Competitions will include tests of power, speed, balance, strength and endurance.
- Blog - A Shopping Oasis: Merchandise at Disney's Flower & Garden Festival
- Pollo Campero at Downtown Disney will be closing 3/19/14 - Pollo Campero, Bodie's All-American Grill and Babycakes NYC will be closing 3/19/14. Babycakes NYC will still be providing gluten-free items to select Walt Disney World food courts and restaurants.
- Blog - 2014 Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival opens in Epcot
- Registration for the Wine & Dine Half Marathon opens today - This race is held in conjunction with the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival.
- Blog - Haunted Mansion Merchandise Materializes in Disney Parks
- New dates for D23's Destination D - The event will be held November 22-23, 2014.
- 2015 Walt Disney World Marathon dates - Registration for the 2015 marathon begins 4/22/14.
- Blog - A Brit's Perspective - Changing of the Seasons at the Orlando theme parks
- Rebel Rendezvous merchandise event planned for Star Wars Weekends - Attendees will receive exclusive access to Darth's Mall a day before it opens to the public.
- Blog - A February Stroll through the Magic Kingdom
- Walt Disney World restaurants add Braille menus - Beginning March 1, select restaurants will be adding Braille menus, though a list of participating restaurants is not yet available. The Braille menus will have examples of the menu items but may not list all the short term or temporary items.
- Family Ticket offer - get one free day! - Get one FREE additional day on each ticket when you buy 6 or more 4-day or longer Magic Your Way tickets!
- Blog - Disney's Polynesian Resort is Changing in a Big Way
- Just announced! Festival of Fantasy parade will debut March 9! - This parade will run daily in the afternoons at the Magic Kingdom.
- Celebrate Earth Day at Disney's Animal Kingdom - The park is also celebrating the release of Disneynature's newest film Bears, which hits theaters April 18.
- Car Masters Weekend to be held at Downtown Disney - This event takes place June 14-15.
- Walt Disney World ticket prices increase - Ticket prices have gone up effective today, Sunday, February 23.
- Mighty St. Patrick's Day Festival planned for Downtown Disney - Downtown Disney celebrates St. Patrick's Day with live music, a step-by-step Irish jig workshop, classic Irish food and drink, Irish storytellers, Irish history and merchandise at Raglan Road's Shop.
- Star Wars Weekends - extra weekend added, plus Hyperspace Hoopla cancelled - A nightly fireworks show has been added instead of the Hyperspace Hoopla party.
- Leadership changes at Walt Disney World resorts and transportation
- Disney and unions extend contract
- Major staff cuts at Disney Interactive
- Blackfish director denies receiving confidential information
- Hank Wiliams Jr. and Alabama to perform at SeaWorld
- Universal Orlando parking garage closed for suspicious vehicle
- SeaWorld calls for investigation of OSHA inspector
- Preview of food items for Wizarding World of Harry Potter expansion
- Disney announces theme parks will stay open for 24-hour party
- Magic Kingdom Hub Expansion Announced
Today's Theme Park Hours
Epcot Future World:
Epcot World Showcase:
|9:00 - 1:00
9:00 - 9:00
11:00 - 9:00
9:00 - 9:30
8:00 - 8:00
10:00 - 5:00
Extra Magic Hours Morning: Epcot FW