Epcot - Ellen's Energy Adventure
|Main Page||Future World||World Showcase|
|Map of Epcot||Mission: Space|
|Captain EO||Spaceship Earth|
|Imagination!||Universe of Energy|
|The Seas with Nemo and Friends||Restaurants/Dining|
|Turtle Talk with Crush||Shows and Events|
Universe of Energy - Ellen's Energy Adventure
Opened: October 1, 1982
Length: 45 minutes
The Universe of Energy is home to "Ellen's Energy Adventure." It's a cute look back at the prehistoric origins of today's energy sources.
First, take a look at the amount of time you need for this one. The show begins every 17 minutes. (The lobby show is 8 minutes long followed by 37 minutes in the traveling theater cars.) This isn't the type of attraction that you can leave mid-stream. Once you're in those cars, you'd better plan on staying as there's no easy way out.
The show stars Ellen DeGeneres. Ellen wasn't part of the show back in '82 when this attraction first opened. On September 15, 1996, "Ellen's Energy Adventure" debuted as Disney capitalized on the success of her sitcom. (Over at MGM they once had "Ellen's Buy the Book.") Lucky for them she now hosts a top-rated talk show.
The 'Adventure' begins with Ellen falling asleep while watching Jeopardy. She finds herself in a nightmare where she's pitted against her college rival "Smart Judy", played by Jamie Lee Curtis. All of the Jeopardy categories are energy-related, something Ellen knows little about.
Her neighbor just happens to be Bill Nye the Science Guy. He takes Ellen under his wing and they embark on a trip back to prehistoric times. At this point, the 600-seat theatre rotates and breaks up into 6 enormous "cars" that accompany Ellen and Bill as they travel in pursuit of the origin of energy.
Amazing Audio-animatronic dinosaurs are part of Ellen's adventure. This part of the ride is just about the same as it was since '82. Still, with the addition of the Ellen storyline, it's a lot more enjoyable.
This is a real sensory experience. The dark lighting sets the stage. You hear the roars of the dinosaurs and there's a distinct odor in the air. It's best described as 'slightly damp basement.' You hear Ellen and Bill Nye as you travel along and Ellen pops up from time to time. (Not the real Ellen, the animatronic version of her.)
With Ellen's new found knowledge of energy, she returns to play Final Jeopardy against "Smart Judy." (We won't give away how the game ends.)
Again, this is one looooooong attraction. Since it has such a high rider capacity, it's a great choice on those busy, hot days when you need to take a break. Besides that, hey, it's Ellen. You know there are going to be some laughs along the way.
Handicapped Accessibility: Guests in ECVs must be able to transfer
to a wheelchair. For guests who are hearing impaired, assistive
listening devices are available at Guest Services.
- This ride is mostly powered by the 2 acres of solar panels that sit on the roof. The equivalent power could supply enough energy to power 15 homes!
- See if you can spot Michael Richards (Kramer from Seinfeld) in the film.
- Bring a small penlight flashlight for kids who may be frightened by the dark sequences. The show holds about 600 people, so don't be concerned if you think it appears crowded.
- In the fight scene between the T-rex and the stegosaurus there is a large plant shaped like Mickey’s head to the front, right side of the dinosaurs.
- TAKitty - "My sister and I both enjoy this ride. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone wanting to do and see everything at Epcot in a day because it does eat up a big chunk of your time."
- SheenaXena21 - "This is another favorite. It's long, but I don't mind. I think it's funny and educational. Always a must do for us."
More Universe of Energy Reviews
- Beginning today, PhotoPass print packages are no longer offered table-side at character meals - This includes Chef Mickey's, 1900 Park Fare, 'Ohana, Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue, Disney's Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show and Tusker House Restaurant.
- Disney Visa cardholders can book Food & Wine Festival events early - Disney Visa cardholders can book special events two days earlier than the general public - on July 29 and July 30 from 7:00am-11:00pm EST.
- Tables in Wonderland adds blackout dates for several restaurants - The Tables in Wonderland program offers Florida Residents, DVC members and Annual Passholders 20% off of all food and beverage purchases at the participating Disney restaurants.
- Information on Holiday sleigh rides at Fort Wilderness - This horse-drawn "sleigh" ride is a fun way to celebrate the season.
- Marketplace menus for Epot International Food & Wine Festival - List of menu items for the marketplaces set up around World Showcase.
- Rehab planned in November for Magic Carpets of Aladdin - The Magic Kingdom attraction will be closed 11/10 - 11/21/2014.
- Food & Wine Festival Special Dining Experiences released - Bookings for these experiences begin July 31.
- 10 Places to Wait Out a Thunderstorm at Walt Disney World
- Disney Castaway Cay Challenge added to Princess Half Marathon Weekend - Runners who are registered for any of the Disney races (5K or longer) during the Weekend have the option to complete the Disney Castaway Cay Challenge when sailing on the Disney Dream February 23-27.
- Fantasia Miniature Golf Course rehab planned off and on for the next two weeks - Gardens Course closed 7/22-7/25/2014, 7/28-8/1/2014, 8/4-8/8/2014. The Fairways will still be open.
- Blog - I Can Go The Distance: Deciding is one thing, registering is another
- Save up to 30% on a Room Only reservation at Walt Disney World! - Valid for stays most nights 10/4/14 - 11/25/14 and 11/29/14 - 12/23/14.
- 2015 WDW hotel discount released for U.S. Military - Valid for stays most nights 9/28/14 - 10/3/15.
- All 3 remaining weekends sold out for Harambe Nights - July 26, August 2 and August 9 are sold out.
- Annual passholder discount for Spice Road Table - Through 9/17/14, Annual Passholders can get a 30% discount on their bill.
- 2015 Military Ticket Discount info released - Members of the military can purchase 4-day Magic Your Way tickets with Park Hopper option for $177 each.
- Changes to reservation times for Wishes Dessert Party - Reservations are all being set for 6:00pm, no matter when Wishes is taking place. The dessert party will actually take place one hour before Wishes.
- Frozen Summer Fun Premium package is sold out for all remaining dates - This package gives guests at Frozen Summer Fun Live reserved viewing for several events.
- Wild by Design tour to be discontinued after 9/26/14 - This tour takes place at Disney's Animal Kingdom.
- Fantasy Football Convention coming to ESPN Wide World of Sports - The convention will give attendees access to ESPN talent, a live fantasy football draft and more.
- Blog - Sneak Preview of What's Coming to the 2014 Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
- Dates and pricing released for ICE! at Gaylord Palms - Using two million pounds of ice, this Gaylord Palms Resort special ticket exhibit will be transformed into the North Pole.
- Blog - Disney's Magical Express Age Limit Changes: A Parent's & Teacher's Perspective
- Blog - Five Reasons Why We're Not Seeing "Planes: Fire & Rescue" in Theaters
- Blog updated - I Just Spent $20 on FastPasses! Would You? - The author has taken the tour she discussed in the blog - check out her thoughts to see if she would do this again!
- Blog - July 2014 Magic Kingdom Construction Update
- Information for Food & Wine Festival special dining experiences - book 7/31 - Premium events will be announced July 24 and can be booked on July 31 beginning at 7:00am EST. To book, call 407-WDW-FEST (939-3378).
- Princess Half Marathon fills in less than 24 hours - The Princess Half Marathon, the Princess Enchanted 10K and the Glass Slipper Challenge are sold out, filling less than 24 hours after registration opened.
- Dolphins at Epcot will be offstage through August 7 - Guests will not be able to see the dolphins at The Seas with Nemo & Friends. The Dolphins in Depth Tour will be unavailable during this time as well.
- Changes in parking due to Downtown Disney Remodel - Speeds in the area will be reduced, as well as lanes closed. Buena Vista Drive will be expanded to 10 lanes.
- Blog - Disney Responds to Disability Access Service Lawsuit
- "Clyde and Seamore Take Pirate Island" show cancelled at SeaWorld
- PBS plans Walt Disney biopic
- Release date set for 5th Pirates of the Caribbean film
- Man arrested at Typhoon Lagoon for molesting 4 teenage girls
- Standby line to be cut off in Anna and Elsa meet and greet
- Disney's second quarter injury report: 12-year-old boy cuts fingers on Pirates ride
- 30 years in prison for man who molested girl at SeaWorld
- Possible agreement reached between Disney and unions
- Disney's CEO Bob Iger honored as CEO of the Year by Chief Executive magazine
- Trattoria al Forno to replace Cat Cora's Kouzzina at Disney World
Today's Theme Park Hours
Epcot Future World:
Epcot World Showcase:
|9:00 - 11:00
9:00 - 7:00
11:00 - 9:00
9:00 - 10:00
9:00 - 7:00
9:00 - 8:00
9:00 - 8:00
Extra Magic Hours Morning: Animal Kingdom