Disney's Hollywood Studios - Backlot Tour
Disney's Hollywood Studios Backlot Tour
Rumor: Will this show soon be replaced by Cars Land? Click here to read the speculation.
Opened: May 1, 1989
Ride length: 35 minutes
This attraction combines two demonstrations of special effects.
The first queue has TV monitors placed throughout the area. You'll watch a video clip that explains what goes on behind the scenes to create the special effects from some popular movies. They'll also be looking for volunteers to participate in the first demonstration. (If you're interested, try to be near the front of the line.)
From here you head to an outdoor viewing area where you stand behind railings to see the Special Effects Water Tank. The "lucky" volunteers will get firsthand experience in re-enacting nautical battle scenes.
Following this "damp" presentation, you walk through a prop warehouse. You may recognize a few items from familiar Disney movies, but by now you're mostly looking for a chance to sit down, especially if it's a hot day.
Next step, boarding the tram. They're covered by a canopy but otherwise open so don't expect A/C. Still, it's a pleasant ride and you get some great photo ops. The tram passes through production bungalows, the wardrobe department
(where you can watch the costumers at work), and the scenery
shop. Along the way you pass topiaries and vehicles that have been used in Disney movies.
Finally, you reach Catastrophe Canyon. (SKIP THE REST OF THIS PARAGRAPH IF YOU WANT TO BE SURPRISED.) The tram comes to a stop. Before you know it, the ground starts shaking, the tram starts rocking, a fuel truck crashes, sparks cause a fiery explosion and it all ends in a flash flood. PHEW! It's amazing how much happens within the span of a minute. This is the best part of the attraction. Sit on the left if you want to be closest to the action. (You might get a little bit wet, but it's not bad at all.)
After a drive past the Streets of America, the ride ends and you're let out at the American Film Institute Showcase Shop. There are costumes/props on display and movie/TV themed merchandise for sale. You may have started to notice a trend. A lot of the attractions empty out into a store. Coincidence? I think not.
While a bit on the long side, the Disney's Hollywood Studio Backlot Tour has something for everyone that all age groups can enjoy. While not a major attraction, it is quite busy for most of the day.
Handicapped Accessibility: The tour is wheelchair accessible. For deaf guests, sign language interpreters are available if you have made arrangements with the Sign Language Coordinator 2 weeks prior to your visit.
Fun Fact: This attraction was originally named the Backstage Studio Tour.
For a review of this attraction, click here.
- friendnc - "This attraction wasn't the best before they dropped the battleship preshow, but now it's worth skipping (as we do). For all of the space this takes up, it either needs a super-major overhaul or be totally replaced."
- klam_chowder - "A good attraction to do so that people in your party can take a break and rest their feet on the long tram ride. The canyon scene is fun too. Seems with all the time and space this takes, they could be doing more with it."
More Backlot Tour Reviews
- Tables in Wonderland adds blackout dates for several restaurants - The Tables in Wonderland program offers Florida Residents, DVC members and Annual Passholders 20% off of all food and beverage purchases at the participating Disney restaurants.
- Information on Holiday sleigh rides at Fort Wilderness - This horse-drawn "sleigh" ride is a fun way to celebrate the season.
- Marketplace menus for Epot International Food & Wine Festival - List of menu items for the marketplaces set up around World Showcase.
- Rehab planned in November for Magic Carpets of Aladdin - The Magic Kingdom attraction will be closed 11/10 - 11/21/2014.
- Food & Wine Festival Special Dining Experiences released - Bookings for these experiences begin July 31.
- 10 Places to Wait Out a Thunderstorm at Walt Disney World
- Disney Castaway Cay Challenge added to Princess Half Marathon Weekend - Runners who are registered for any of the Disney races (5K or longer) during the Weekend have the option to complete the Disney Castaway Cay Challenge when sailing on the Disney Dream February 23-27.
- Fantasia Miniature Golf Course rehab planned off and on for the next two weeks - Gardens Course closed 7/22-7/25/2014, 7/28-8/1/2014, 8/4-8/8/2014. The Fairways will still be open.
- Blog - I Can Go The Distance: Deciding is one thing, registering is another
- Save up to 30% on a Room Only reservation at Walt Disney World! - Valid for stays most nights 10/4/14 - 11/25/14 and 11/29/14 - 12/23/14.
- 2015 WDW hotel discount released for U.S. Military - Valid for stays most nights 9/28/14 - 10/3/15.
- All 3 remaining weekends sold out for Harambe Nights - July 26, August 2 and August 9 are sold out.
- Annual passholder discount for Spice Road Table - Through 9/17/14, Annual Passholders can get a 30% discount on their bill.
- 2015 Military Ticket Discount info released - Members of the military can purchase 4-day Magic Your Way tickets with Park Hopper option for $177 each.
- Changes to reservation times for Wishes Dessert Party - Reservations are all being set for 6:00pm, no matter when Wishes is taking place. The dessert party will actually take place one hour before Wishes.
- Frozen Summer Fun Premium package is sold out for all remaining dates - This package gives guests at Frozen Summer Fun Live reserved viewing for several events.
- Wild by Design tour to be discontinued after 9/26/14 - This tour takes place at Disney's Animal Kingdom.
- Fantasy Football Convention coming to ESPN Wide World of Sports - The convention will give attendees access to ESPN talent, a live fantasy football draft and more.
- Blog - Sneak Preview of What's Coming to the 2014 Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
- Dates and pricing released for ICE! at Gaylord Palms - Using two million pounds of ice, this Gaylord Palms Resort special ticket exhibit will be transformed into the North Pole.
- Blog - Disney's Magical Express Age Limit Changes: A Parent's & Teacher's Perspective
- Blog - Five Reasons Why We're Not Seeing "Planes: Fire & Rescue" in Theaters
- Blog updated - I Just Spent $20 on FastPasses! Would You? - The author has taken the tour she discussed in the blog - check out her thoughts to see if she would do this again!
- Blog - July 2014 Magic Kingdom Construction Update
- Information for Food & Wine Festival special dining experiences - book 7/31 - Premium events will be announced July 24 and can be booked on July 31 beginning at 7:00am EST. To book, call 407-WDW-FEST (939-3378).
- Princess Half Marathon fills in less than 24 hours - The Princess Half Marathon, the Princess Enchanted 10K and the Glass Slipper Challenge are sold out, filling less than 24 hours after registration opened.
- Dolphins at Epcot will be offstage through August 7 - Guests will not be able to see the dolphins at The Seas with Nemo & Friends. The Dolphins in Depth Tour will be unavailable during this time as well.
- Changes in parking due to Downtown Disney Remodel - Speeds in the area will be reduced, as well as lanes closed. Buena Vista Drive will be expanded to 10 lanes.
- Blog - Disney Responds to Disability Access Service Lawsuit
- PBS plans Walt Disney biopic
- Release date set for 5th Pirates of the Caribbean film
- Man arrested at Typhoon Lagoon for molesting 4 teenage girls
- Standby line to be cut off in Anna and Elsa meet and greet
- Disney's second quarter injury report: 12-year-old boy cuts fingers on Pirates ride
- 30 years in prison for man who molested girl at SeaWorld
- Possible agreement reached between Disney and unions
- Disney's CEO Bob Iger honored as CEO of the Year by Chief Executive magazine
- Trattoria al Forno to replace Cat Cora's Kouzzina at Disney World
- Technical glitch causes Universal's Transformers ride to stall
Today's Theme Park Hours
Epcot Future World:
Epcot World Showcase:
|9:00 - 12:00
9:00 - 9:00
11:00 - 9:00
9:00 - 10:00
9:00 - 7:00
9:00 - 8:00
9:00 - 8:00
Extra Magic Hour Evening: Epcot FW