In response to a rumor that spread like wildfire on various social media outlets this morning, Thomas Smith of the Disney Parks Blog has issued a statement to clear up any confusion that Disney fans might have about Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room at Magic Kingdom.
A little birdie told us there are some rumors flying around about our beloved Tiki birds at Walt Disney World Resort. We’re sorry that our fans are being fed incorrect information by unscrupulous sources. While “toucan” play at that game, we deal in facts here at the Disney Parks Blog. Although we won’t address every rumor, we want to set the record straight: there are no plans for our feathered friends to fly the coop any time soon. We’re constantly evolving our stories, but these birds will continue entertaining our guests at the Magic Kingdom Park just as they have done since 1971.
In addition to squelching the rumor, the following five facts were shared about the beloved attraction.
- Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room is home to 88 singing birds, and over 225 choreographed Audio-Animatronic performers in total.
- Walt Disney was inspired to pursue the concept of singing birds after seeing a little mechanical bird on a trip to New Orleans.
- The Tiki Room was originally envisioned as a restaurant with a show, but eventually became the classic attraction that we know today.
- A version of the attraction exists at Disneyland Resort, Walt Disney World Resort and Tokyo Disneyland.
- While the Walt Disney World Resort attraction has gone through some changes over the years, it continues to delight thousands of guests each day!
Source: Disney Parks Blog
Senior Editor for The DIS and DCL Fan | Disney Vacation Club Member | Thrilled to have been a '13/'14 Disney Parks Moms Panelist (now planDisney) | Lover of all things Disney; the Magic of Disneyland, Walt Disney World, and Disney Cruise Line | ºoº