Royal Caribbean Cruise Ship Catches Fireby Leah Zanolla
May 28, 2013
A fire broke out on Royal Caribbean's Grandeur of the Seas, doing enough damage that the rest of the cruise was cancelled and the passengers were flown back to Baltimore where the cruise originated.
The fire began at 2:50 on May 27, 2013 and was extinguished a short time later. No injuries were reported. The ship never lost power and was able to sail into Freeport, Bahamas.
Royal Caribbean said that, in addition to arranging flights back to Baltimore, passengers will receive a full refund of their fare and a certificate for a future cruise.
Royal Caribbean also said that all 2,224 guests and 796 crew were safe and accounted for. Photos show a substantial area of the stern burned on several decks of the ship.
The ship stayed in Freeport overnight pending an investigation into the fire. The next cruise scheduled for May 31, 2013 has been cancelled.
- News Source
- Subscribe to receive DIS Updates and News by email!
- News Feed
- Last Updated: Oct 19, 2014 - 9:25:27 AM
Disney Cruise News Stories
- Disney Cruise Line releases sail dates for early 2016
Two new Caribbean ports have been added.
- Disney Cruise Line honored by Bon Voyage digital magazine
Disney Cruise Line took top honors in several categories.
- Disney Cruise Line and Aulani honored by Travel + Leisure
Results are part of the World's Best Awards 2014.
- Disney Cruise Line releases remainder of 2015 schedule
Sail dates for the remainder of 2015 have been announced.
- Disney Wonder to return to Hawaii in 2015?
Itineraries aren't released yet, but a suspicious entry on the Hawaii port calendars is fueling the rumors.