Disney to Begin a Review of Guest Assistance Card Abuseby Leah Zanolla
May 31, 2013
Disney has initiated a review of Guest Assistance Card abuse after a reporter's undercover investigation into the practice of hiring disabled tour guides.
NBC News hired two different tour guides off of Craigslist who used their Guest Assistance Cards to access alternate entrances and lines for quicker access to attractions. One guide, who got her pass after a car accident, charged $50 an hour. The other guide, who declined to state his injury or condition, charged a flat $200.
When confronted later, both guides were unapologetic.
Disney has began cracking down and is sending out warning letters to anyone advertising their services online. Any disabled tour guides caught in the act will have their Guest Assistance Card revoked and be banned from the Parks.
Here is Disney's statement:
"We find it deplorable that people would hire the disabled to abuse accommodations that were designed to permit our guests with disabilities to enjoy their time in the parks. We have initiated a review of this abuse and will take appropriate steps to deter this type of unacceptable activity."
The American Association of People with Disabilities noted Disney's great track record on accommodating people with disabilities, but agreed that the practice is abusive and should be stopped.
From their statement:
"This situation goes to show that money may buy a lot, but apparently civility and respect are not among those things."
- News Source
- Subscribe to receive DIS Updates and News by email!
- News Feed
- Last Updated: Oct 19, 2014 - 9:25:27 AM
Other Disneyland News Stories
- Club 33 members upset about more changes to benefits
Club 33 members are upset about increased annual dues and decreased benefits.
- New Anaheim transportation hub to open next month
A new Anaheim transportation hub is scheduled to open in early December.
- Last surviving child of Knott's founder dies
Marion Knott, youngest daughter of Knott's Berry Farm founders Walter and Cordelia Knott, passed away recently at age 92.
- Knott's Berry Farm announces new 4-D attraction
Knott's Berry Farm has announced Voyage of the Iron Reef, a new interactive ride set to open Spring 2015.
- Superheroes take over the inaugural Avengers half marathon
Runners dressed in costume for the inaugural running of the Avengers Superheroes Half Marathon this weekend in Anaheim.
DIS DISNEYLAND UPDATES
- Mother's Day offerings at the Disneyland Resort - Several locations throughout the Resort will offer special menu items on May 10th in honor of Mother's Day.
- VIDEO: Peter Pan's Flight Pre-2015 Refurb POV at Disneyland - This is one of Park's original 17 attractions.
- Five Things You Should Know Before Visiting Disneyland Paris
- Disney Myth buster: A Disney Vacation is Too Expensive - Let's break down the numbers and compare exactly how Disney stacks up against other common vacation destinations.
- What's in your Disney park bag?
- 5 Songs from Disney Films that are Works of Art - I feel these songs can stand on merit alone without the movies they are featured in.
- Blog - Judge fools all, banning Frozen from theme parks and agreeing with "Frozen is my life story" author
- Succumbing to the Charms of Hong Kong Disneyland - Not surprisingly, the park has many things in common with the other two "Magic Kingdom" style parks I have visited, and it also has many features that make it unique.
- Disneyland announces Diamond Celebration Merchandise Event - The Disneyland Resort has announced a merchandise event to take place May 20 and 21, just before the Diamond Celebration kicks off.
- Save up to 20% on Premium Rooms at the Disneyland Resort - Save up to 20% on Premium rooms at the hotels of the Disneyland Resort select weeknights this Spring.
- Spring Time Roundup 2015 at Big Thunder Ranch - Check out Spring Time Roundup at Big Thunder Ranch where you can meet the Easter Bunny, Mickey and Minnie in their finest Spring outfits and Disney rabbits including bunny Pluto!
See AllDL DISCUSSIONS