Disney to Begin a Review of Guest Assistance Card Abuseby Leah Zanolla
May 31, 2013
Disney has initiated a review of Guest Assistance Card abuse after a reporter's undercover investigation into the practice of hiring disabled tour guides.
NBC News hired two different tour guides off of Craigslist who used their Guest Assistance Cards to access alternate entrances and lines for quicker access to attractions. One guide, who got her pass after a car accident, charged $50 an hour. The other guide, who declined to state his injury or condition, charged a flat $200.
When confronted later, both guides were unapologetic.
Disney has began cracking down and is sending out warning letters to anyone advertising their services online. Any disabled tour guides caught in the act will have their Guest Assistance Card revoked and be banned from the Parks.
Here is Disney's statement:
"We find it deplorable that people would hire the disabled to abuse accommodations that were designed to permit our guests with disabilities to enjoy their time in the parks. We have initiated a review of this abuse and will take appropriate steps to deter this type of unacceptable activity."
The American Association of People with Disabilities noted Disney's great track record on accommodating people with disabilities, but agreed that the practice is abusive and should be stopped.
From their statement:
"This situation goes to show that money may buy a lot, but apparently civility and respect are not among those things."
- News Source
- Subscribe to receive DIS Updates and News by email!
- News Feed
- Last Updated: Oct 19, 2014 - 9:25:27 AM
Other Disneyland News Stories
- Club 33 members upset about more changes to benefits
Club 33 members are upset about increased annual dues and decreased benefits.
- New Anaheim transportation hub to open next month
A new Anaheim transportation hub is scheduled to open in early December.
- Last surviving child of Knott's founder dies
Marion Knott, youngest daughter of Knott's Berry Farm founders Walter and Cordelia Knott, passed away recently at age 92.
- Knott's Berry Farm announces new 4-D attraction
Knott's Berry Farm has announced Voyage of the Iron Reef, a new interactive ride set to open Spring 2015.
- Superheroes take over the inaugural Avengers half marathon
Runners dressed in costume for the inaugural running of the Avengers Superheroes Half Marathon this weekend in Anaheim.
DIS DISNEYLAND UPDATES
- Succumbing to the Charms of Hong Kong Disneyland - Not surprisingly, the park has many things in common with the other two "Magic Kingdom" style parks I have visited, and it also has many features that make it unique.
- Disneyland announces Diamond Celebration Merchandise Event - The Disneyland Resort has announced a merchandise event to take place May 20 and 21, just before the Diamond Celebration kicks off.
- Save up to 20% on Premium Rooms at the Disneyland Resort - Save up to 20% on Premium rooms at the hotels of the Disneyland Resort select weeknights this Spring.
- Spring Time Roundup 2015 at Big Thunder Ranch - Check out Spring Time Roundup at Big Thunder Ranch where you can meet the Easter Bunny, Mickey and Minnie in their finest Spring outfits and Disney rabbits including bunny Pluto!
- Disney Visa cardholders - Save 25% at Disneyland Resort Hotels - With this new offer, Disney Visa cardholders can save 25% on weeknight stays at the hotels of the Disneyland Resort.
- Menu for the re-themed Smokejumpers Grill at California Adventure - This was formerly the Taste Pilots' Grill.
- Smokejumpers Grill now open at California Adventure - Smokejumpers Grill is now open at California Adventure in the former Taste Pilots' Grill location.
- Five Guests who turn into Disney Villains
- Driving to Disney - do you drive overnight or during the day?
- Springtime Roundup begins March 20th at Disneyland - Disneyland Park's Big Thunder Ranch Jamboree is the home to the Springtime Roundup where guest can meet the Easter Bunny (and other famous Disney rabbits).
- Blog - Disneyland Good Neighbor Hotel - Best Western Park Place Inn
- New Spring menu at Jolly Holiday Bakery Cafe - Jolly Holiday Bakery Café at Disneyland Park has a new menu that includes a roast beef & bleu cheese sandwich and a sun-dried tomato Caesar salad.
- Blog - Review: "Cinderella" is impressive, but was it and "Frozen Fever" necessary?
- Smokejumpers Grill opens March 20 at California Adventure - As part of the re-theming of Condor Flats to Grizzly Peak Airfield, Taste Pilots Grill re-opens March 20th as Smokejumpers Grill.
- St. Patrick's Day at Disneyland's Downtown Disney - For St. Patrick's Day, several of the restaurants in Downtown Disney will have special menu items. Entertainment will be offered near the WonderGround Gallery.
- Disneyland's Innoventions closes March 31st - Disneyland has announced that Innoventions will be closing on March 31, 2015.
- Walt Disney and The Little Golden Books
See AllDL DISCUSSIONS