Disney to Begin a Review of Guest Assistance Card Abuseby Leah Zanolla
May 31, 2013
Disney has initiated a review of Guest Assistance Card abuse after a reporter's undercover investigation into the practice of hiring disabled tour guides.
NBC News hired two different tour guides off of Craigslist who used their Guest Assistance Cards to access alternate entrances and lines for quicker access to attractions. One guide, who got her pass after a car accident, charged $50 an hour. The other guide, who declined to state his injury or condition, charged a flat $200.
When confronted later, both guides were unapologetic.
Disney has began cracking down and is sending out warning letters to anyone advertising their services online. Any disabled tour guides caught in the act will have their Guest Assistance Card revoked and be banned from the Parks.
Here is Disney's statement:
"We find it deplorable that people would hire the disabled to abuse accommodations that were designed to permit our guests with disabilities to enjoy their time in the parks. We have initiated a review of this abuse and will take appropriate steps to deter this type of unacceptable activity."
The American Association of People with Disabilities noted Disney's great track record on accommodating people with disabilities, but agreed that the practice is abusive and should be stopped.
From their statement:
"This situation goes to show that money may buy a lot, but apparently civility and respect are not among those things."
- News Source
- Subscribe to receive DIS Updates and News by email!
- News Feed
- Last Updated: Oct 19, 2014 - 9:25:27 AM
Other Disneyland News Stories
- Club 33 members upset about more changes to benefits
Club 33 members are upset about increased annual dues and decreased benefits.
- New Anaheim transportation hub to open next month
A new Anaheim transportation hub is scheduled to open in early December.
- Last surviving child of Knott's founder dies
Marion Knott, youngest daughter of Knott's Berry Farm founders Walter and Cordelia Knott, passed away recently at age 92.
- Knott's Berry Farm announces new 4-D attraction
Knott's Berry Farm has announced Voyage of the Iron Reef, a new interactive ride set to open Spring 2015.
- Superheroes take over the inaugural Avengers half marathon
Runners dressed in costume for the inaugural running of the Avengers Superheroes Half Marathon this weekend in Anaheim.
DIS DISNEYLAND UPDATES
- How Disney saved my life after my child lost hers
- Why taking kids would never ruin a Disney Vacation - In response to the article Why I Wouldn’t Ruin My Disney Vacation By Taking Kids.
- Easy ways to stay healthy at Disney
- The Other Hawaii (Part 1): How to See the Best of the Islands from a Cruise Ship
- Neil Patrick Harris to co-host World of Color: Celebrate! - Neil Patrick Harris and Mickey Mouse will host the new World of Color: Celebrate! when it opens May 22nd.
- Disneyland Resort ticket prices increase - Disneyland ticket prices have increased as expected, but the elimination of most parking ad-ons was a surprise.
- Save up to 30% on a stay at Aulani - booking date extended! - Savings Include: 3-night stays: 10% off, 4-night stays: 20% off, or 5-or more night stays: 30% off
- Blog - Federal Court Dismisses Lawsuit Alleging "Frozen" is "My Life Story"
More Info DISNEYLAND HOTELS
See AllDL DISCUSSIONS