Disneyland donates Matterhorn bobsleds to Roller Coaster Archivesby Leah Zanolla
Sep 17, 2012
After Disneyland's recent refurbishment of their Matterhorn Bobsled ride, they have donated two of the 1978 ride vehicles to the National Roller Coaster Museum and Archives. The Matterhorn is seen as a historic artifact because it was the world's first tubular-steel roller coaster. Archives chairman Gary Slade said, "This is the holy grail of artifacts for the National Roller Coaster Museum and Archive. The Matterhorn started the modern era of roller coaster design and launched the themed-ride industry."
Disneyland also donated a sign from Disney California Adventure's "California Screamin'" to the Archives. According to Pete Owens, a spokesman for the National Roller Coaster Museum, "California Screamin' is the second-longest steel roller coaster in North America, at 6,072 feet. The longest, at 6,595, is the Millennium Force at Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio."
The donations took place at Dollywood in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee. The Archive does not actually have a permanent museum location, so the ride vehicles and sign are currently in Plainview, Texas, at the archive facility, where they are being prepared for display. They will be part of a temporary exhibit, possibly at Dollywood.
- News Source
- Subscribe to receive DIS Updates and News by email!
- News Feed
- Last Updated: Oct 19, 2014 - 9:25:27 AM
Other Disneyland News Stories
- Club 33 members upset about more changes to benefits
Club 33 members are upset about increased annual dues and decreased benefits.
- New Anaheim transportation hub to open next month
A new Anaheim transportation hub is scheduled to open in early December.
- Last surviving child of Knott's founder dies
Marion Knott, youngest daughter of Knott's Berry Farm founders Walter and Cordelia Knott, passed away recently at age 92.
- Knott's Berry Farm announces new 4-D attraction
Knott's Berry Farm has announced Voyage of the Iron Reef, a new interactive ride set to open Spring 2015.
- Superheroes take over the inaugural Avengers half marathon
Runners dressed in costume for the inaugural running of the Avengers Superheroes Half Marathon this weekend in Anaheim.
DIS DISNEYLAND UPDATES
- Walt Disney and The Little Golden Books
- How Disney saved my life after my child lost hers
- Why taking kids would never ruin a Disney Vacation - In response to the article Why I Wouldn’t Ruin My Disney Vacation By Taking Kids.
- Easy ways to stay healthy at Disney
- The Other Hawaii (Part 1): How to See the Best of the Islands from a Cruise Ship
- Neil Patrick Harris to co-host World of Color: Celebrate! - Neil Patrick Harris and Mickey Mouse will host the new World of Color: Celebrate! when it opens May 22nd.
- Disneyland Resort ticket prices increase - Disneyland ticket prices have increased as expected, but the elimination of most parking ad-ons was a surprise.
- Save up to 30% on a stay at Aulani - booking date extended! - Savings Include: 3-night stays: 10% off, 4-night stays: 20% off, or 5-or more night stays: 30% off
- Blog - Federal Court Dismisses Lawsuit Alleging "Frozen" is "My Life Story"
More Info DISNEYLAND HOTELS
See AllDL DISCUSSIONS