Disneyland donates Matterhorn bobsleds to Roller Coaster Archivesby Leah Zanolla
Sep 17, 2012
After Disneyland's recent refurbishment of their Matterhorn Bobsled ride, they have donated two of the 1978 ride vehicles to the National Roller Coaster Museum and Archives. The Matterhorn is seen as a historic artifact because it was the world's first tubular-steel roller coaster. Archives chairman Gary Slade said, "This is the holy grail of artifacts for the National Roller Coaster Museum and Archive. The Matterhorn started the modern era of roller coaster design and launched the themed-ride industry."
Disneyland also donated a sign from Disney California Adventure's "California Screamin'" to the Archives. According to Pete Owens, a spokesman for the National Roller Coaster Museum, "California Screamin' is the second-longest steel roller coaster in North America, at 6,072 feet. The longest, at 6,595, is the Millennium Force at Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio."
The donations took place at Dollywood in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee. The Archive does not actually have a permanent museum location, so the ride vehicles and sign are currently in Plainview, Texas, at the archive facility, where they are being prepared for display. They will be part of a temporary exhibit, possibly at Dollywood.
- News Source
- Subscribe to receive DIS Updates and News by email!
- News Feed
- Last Updated: Oct 19, 2014 - 9:25:27 AM
Other Disneyland News Stories
- Club 33 members upset about more changes to benefits
Club 33 members are upset about increased annual dues and decreased benefits.
- New Anaheim transportation hub to open next month
A new Anaheim transportation hub is scheduled to open in early December.
- Last surviving child of Knott's founder dies
Marion Knott, youngest daughter of Knott's Berry Farm founders Walter and Cordelia Knott, passed away recently at age 92.
- Knott's Berry Farm announces new 4-D attraction
Knott's Berry Farm has announced Voyage of the Iron Reef, a new interactive ride set to open Spring 2015.
- Superheroes take over the inaugural Avengers half marathon
Runners dressed in costume for the inaugural running of the Avengers Superheroes Half Marathon this weekend in Anaheim.
DIS DISNEYLAND UPDATES
- What is Your Family's Ideal Number of Days at Disney? - Do you prefer to take more frequent shorter trips or long trips less often?
- World of Color Late-Night Breakfast Package for the 24-Hour Party - In addition to their normal lunch and dinner packages, California Adventure will be offering a late-night breakfast World of Color package on May 22nd/23rd with reserved viewing for a 3am show.
- DISAPALOOZA Diagon Alley Party - December 05, 2015 - Dreams Unlimited Travel, Inc, The DIS and the DISUnplugged are proud to announce details of this year's DISapalooza Event. We will be renting out all of Diagon Alley for the enjoyment of our guests! December 05, 2015 (9:00 p.m. - midnight) Price: $75/person
- What are your favorite souvenirs from Disney? - Souvenirs can be a great way to remember a special moment you had at the parks or even just a way to bring Disney into your everyday life.
- Mother's Day offerings at the Disneyland Resort - Several locations throughout the Resort will offer special menu items on May 10th in honor of Mother's Day.
- VIDEO: Peter Pan's Flight Pre-2015 Refurb POV at Disneyland - This is one of Park's original 17 attractions.
- Five Things You Should Know Before Visiting Disneyland Paris
- Disney Myth buster: A Disney Vacation is Too Expensive - Let's break down the numbers and compare exactly how Disney stacks up against other common vacation destinations.
- What's in your Disney park bag?
See AllDL DISCUSSIONS