Dolphin bites girl at SeaWorld OrlandoLeah Zanolla | Posted: Dec 3, 2012 | Updated: Dec 3, 2012 - 5:32:04 PM
A dolphin at SeaWorld Orlando bit an eight-year-old girl on November 21. Jillian Thomas loves dolphins, so her parents planned a trip to SeaWorld so she could see her favorite animals. She went to the dolphin cove twice that day, and on the second visit, paid $7 to feed fish to the dolphins. The rules at the attraction state "not to wear loose jewelry, touch the dolphin's head and under no circumstances, move the paper tray holding the fish from the edge of the pool."
Jillian fed her fish to the dolphin, and when the plate was empty, she lifted it to show she was done. The dolphin then jumped out of the water and shut its mouth around her hand. Jillian’s dad, Jamie Thomas, was videoing and caught the whole incident on camera.
"The first thing I thought was I would have to jump in the water and save my daughter's life," Thomas said. "I literally thought she was going to be pulled into the water."
The park's first-aid personnel treated Jillian; she had three dime-size puncture wounds and her hand was swollen. Jillian's parents are upset with the way the incident was handled. They said they felt safe and didn’t realize there was a chance she could get bitten.
Her mother said Jillian may have forgotten the rules in her excitement and "made a mistake but you can’t hold a minor responsible for that."
According to the family, after the wounds were treated, they were asked if Jillian had had a tetanus shot, then were given ice and a bandage and told they had no reason to worry. After getting home and doing some research, they learned of harmful bacteria that can be inside the mouths of marine mammals. Jillian did not end up with an infection, but was sad about the incident, concerned that eating the paper plate may have harmed the dolphin.
"It was strange how they downplayed the whole thing," Thomas said. "At the time, we thought we were at fault but these are children. We just want other parents to know the dangers."
A statement from SeaWorld said, "Nothing is more important to us than the health and safety of our guests, employees and animals. Educators and animal care staff were at the attraction when this happened and immediately connected with the family." They had not seen the video, which Thomas posted online as a warning to other parents.
The family doesn't plan to sue, but hopes the incident will prompt SeaWorld to raise the participation age for the experience and to make it clear that there is a chance the dolphins will bite.
A similar incident happened in 2006, when a dolphin bit a 7-year-old boy. Two adults had to pry its mouth open to free his hand, which was bruised. At the time, SeaWorld said they "were confident with the attraction’s setup and would not change anything."
Daily Email DIS Updates
Stay Informed With All Things Disney!
Enter your email address below to receive DIS Updates by email – including News, Blogs, Podcasts, Discounts, and Disney Updates.
Sign Up & Win A Prize!
Each month we select one of our subscribers at random and give away a prize! Prizes range from a $50 Disney Gift Card, Adventures by Disney trip for two, or a 7 day/6 night stay at Walt Disney World with dining for a family of four!
- Fantasia Miniature Golf Course rehab planned off and on for the next two weeks - Gardens Course closed 7/22-7/25/2014, 7/28-8/1/2014, 8/4-8/8/2014. The Fairways will still be open.
- Blog - I Can Go The Distance: Deciding is one thing, registering is another
- Save up to 30% on a Room Only reservation at Walt Disney World! - Valid for stays most nights 10/4/14 - 11/25/14 and 11/29/14 - 12/23/14.
- 2015 WDW hotel discount released for U.S. Military - Valid for stays most nights 9/28/14 - 10/3/15.
- All 3 remaining weekends sold out for Harambe Nights - July 26, August 2 and August 9 are sold out.
- Annual passholder discount for Spice Road Table - Through 9/17/14, Annual Passholders can get a 30% discount on their bill.
- 2015 Military Ticket Discount info released - Members of the military can purchase 4-day Magic Your Way tickets with Park Hopper option for $177 each.
- Changes to reservation times for Wishes Dessert Party - Reservations are all being set for 6:00pm, no matter when Wishes is taking place. The dessert party will actually take place one hour before Wishes.
- Frozen Summer Fun Premium package is sold out for all remaining dates - This package gives guests at Frozen Summer Fun Live reserved viewing for several events.
- Wild by Design tour to be discontinued after 9/26/14 - This tour takes place at Disney's Animal Kingdom.
- Fantasy Football Convention coming to ESPN Wide World of Sports - The convention will give attendees access to ESPN talent, a live fantasy football draft and more.
- Blog - Sneak Preview of What's Coming to the 2014 Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
- Dates and pricing released for ICE! at Gaylord Palms - Using two million pounds of ice, this Gaylord Palms Resort special ticket exhibit will be transformed into the North Pole.
- Blog - Disney's Magical Express Age Limit Changes: A Parent's & Teacher's Perspective
- Blog - Five Reasons Why We're Not Seeing "Planes: Fire & Rescue" in Theaters
- Blog updated - I Just Spent $20 on FastPasses! Would You? - The author has taken the tour she discussed in the blog - check out her thoughts to see if she would do this again!
- Blog - July 2014 Magic Kingdom Construction Update
- Information for Food & Wine Festival special dining experiences - book 7/31 - Premium events will be announced July 24 and can be booked on July 31 beginning at 7:00am EST. To book, call 407-WDW-FEST (939-3378).
- Princess Half Marathon fills in less than 24 hours - The Princess Half Marathon, the Princess Enchanted 10K and the Glass Slipper Challenge are sold out, filling less than 24 hours after registration opened.
- Dolphins at Epcot will be offstage through August 7 - Guests will not be able to see the dolphins at The Seas with Nemo & Friends. The Dolphins in Depth Tour will be unavailable during this time as well.
- Changes in parking due to Downtown Disney Remodel - Speeds in the area will be reduced, as well as lanes closed. Buena Vista Drive will be expanded to 10 lanes.
- Blog - Disney Responds to Disability Access Service Lawsuit