Backstage Magic Tour Review
by Kevin Klose
I consider myself a Disney veteran.
My first trip to Walt Disney World was in 1971. I have made countless other trips after that and finally moved to central Florida in 1994. I’ve had my annual pass every year since then. I have been to Disneyland numerous times. I have read extensively about Walt Disney and the creation of Disneyland and Disney World. I even find myself with a job that while not working for Disney, involves all aspect of Disney vacation planning. I have taken the Keys to the Kingdom Tour.
Ok…I admit it….I’m a Disney addict and a bit of a Disney snob.
It’s with this attitude that I approached the Backstage Magic Tour offered by Walt Disney World.
I had trepidations about signing up for a 7 hour tour of an area that I thought I knew pretty well. It was going to be one of those REALLY hot Orlando days. I had to be there at 8:30am. The tour goes to 3 parks that I know like the back of my hand. The cost was $199.00 (with a 15% discount for annual passholders). I did everything I could to back out. What were they going to tell me that I didn’t already know?
I was just as whiny as it sounds.
Let me tell you…..I was 1000% wrong
We met our tour leader in front of Epcot’s Guest Relations area. There were 12 of us. The tour is limited to groups of 20. We were given name tags and we were off.
Our first stop was just inside the park where we went backstage. You certainly lose perspective backstage. Things are much closer. The back of Guest Relations is very close to the back of the Living Seas. It’s hard to imagine when you think that if you enter the front gate at Epcot, you have a twenty minute walk to the Living Seas. Not so behind the scenes.
This was where I had my first surprise of the day. We were shown the way to a beautiful air conditioned tour bus. We were told that this would be our mode of transportation for the day. Upon boarding, we were offered chilled bottled water, which was available to us all day. We could even store the drinks we had brought in the ice chest. Nice touch huh? Completely unexpected.
The bus takes you around the backstage perimeter of Epcot to the back of the American Adventure pavilion. Just a note……backstage is a completely different experience than what the guests see. No frills, no landscaping….a bit bleak.
After getting off the bus, we walked to the front of the pavilion. As the World Showcase was not yet open, it was just us and a few Cast members getting the park ready for guests. As we stood in front of the building, our tour guide told us some interesting facts. The American Adventure was originally going to be built at the very front of World Showcase in between Canada and Mexico. This would have put Canada to America’s north and Mexico to the South. Clever Imagineers. This was not done as the building that houses the American Adventure had to be considerable larger that it’s northern and southern counterparts in order to hold the show that it does. It was decided that it would become the center piece of the World Showcase.
She told us that building uses a different sort of forced perspective. Most Disney building are built and situated as to look bigger. An example would be Cinderella Castle. Not the case with the American Adventure. They wanted it to look smaller to fit in with the other countries. She explained that the building façade was built using the same methods used to build building in the late 1700s. There are 110,000 hand formed red Georgia clay bricks in the façade. Another interesting fact….the flag on top of the building is unique. It has 15 stars and 15 stripes. The thought at the time was that a star and a stripe would be added for each state. The decision was that this would look unwieldy and that only a star would be added to the 13 original stripes. This is a small detail that the majority of the public would never notice, but Disney loves the details
We were taken backstage and downstairs to see how the show mechanism works. There are hundreds of facts and numbers given about this mechanism, but my describing it in words would just be frustrating. It’s truly an amazing piece of machinery. For the sake of time and space, I have abbreviated the description of this part of the tour. I was also asked not to give away all of the secrets.
So far, I’m impressed. This isn’t the same Disney trivia available in guide books.
Our next stop was Epcot Cast building. Each Epcot Cast member arrives for their work shift through this building. There are break areas, learning centers, costuming, employee computer access, a huge warehouse type room with a personal locker for each employee, a character makeup area and something I found intriguing….Disney tests each variety of carpet in this building. Whether it is for a resort, office, cruise ship, theme park…anywhere…..it is tested in the Epcot employee building. Disney realized that over 5,000 people would walk on this carpet twice a day. Quite a clever way to let the employees test the carpet huh?
We got back on our air-conditioned bus and headed out for Disney - MGM Studios.
End of Part One
- Limited Time Magic: Secret Santa Week - Visit the Town Square Christmas Tree on Main Street and see Duffy in his Christmas outfit. Other Disney characters will be located around the park. Get a special decorated keepsake card from each one as a souvenir.
- Limited Time Magic: Tour the Magic Kingdom with Phil Holmes - 25 lucky guests will get to tour the park with current Vice President Phil Holmes.
- Blog - Best Places to View EPCOT’s Illuminations: Reflections of Earth
- VIDEO: Holiday Storytellers - The Canadian Holiday Voyageurs - New to Holidays Around The World 2013 at Epcot in 2013 are the Canadian Holiday Voyageurs. The Canadian Holiday Voyageurs play multiple sets each day filled with Christmas songs done the Canadian way on the Mill Stage.
- Blog - EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW with Jonathan Groff from FROZEN
- Guests at All Star Resorts will no longer receive Key to the World cards - As of 12/2/13, guests at All Star Sports Resort will no longer receive a Key to the World card. All information for the resort and parks will be on the Magic Band you receive when you check in. This will begin at All Star Music on 12/4/13 and at All Star Movies on 12/6/13. This system is already in place at Pop Century.
- VIDEO: it's a small world Holiday Full POV Ride-Through - The happiest cruise that ever sailed gets even merrier for the holidays. it's a small world, the 1964 World's Fair attraction that came to Disneyland in 1966, gets a full overlay for the holiday season including decorations and a new soundtrack!
- Atlanta Braves spring training tickets now on sale - The Atlanta Braves return to ESPN Wide World of Sports for their annual spring training. Tickets are first come/first served and the games take place at Champion Stadium.
- Blog - Give Kids the World Village and Giving Tuesday December 3, 2013
- VIDEO: Gran Fiesta Tour POV Ride-Through - Donald Duck disappears on his way to a Three Caballeros performance in Mexico City and his friends, José Carioca and Panchito Pistoles, set out to search for him.
- Blog - Brewing Now: Joffrey’s Disney Parks Collection of Coffees
- Blog - A Brit’s Perspective – Visiting the UK in Orlando
- Specialty food and drink offered for holidays at Epcot - New this holiday season, each country will be serving a specialty food and drink.
- New bus loop at Magic Kingdom open - In addition to regular single stops, there are several double stops that will accommodate two regular buses or one of the new articulated buses.
- Limited Time Magic: Donate a Duffy the Disney Bear to Toys for Tots - Visit the Once Upon a Toy store or the World of Disney store at Downtown Disney and with every $5 purchase, Disney will donate a Duffy the Disney Bear toy to Toys for Tots.
- Limited Time Magic: Jolly Year of the Ear - Celebrate the season in style with Santa Mickey and Minnie Santa ear hats - only available for a short time at the Emporium at Magic Kingdom.
- Times and dates for Epcot holiday storytellers - Each country has its own special theme that highlights its culture. Storytellers will delight you with tales of their heritage and how the holidays are celebrated in their homeland.
- VIDEO: "Let It Go" from Disney's Frozen in Celebrate the Magic - This holiday season, "Let It Go" from Disney's Frozen is featured in Celebrate the Magic, the nighttime projection show on Cinderella Castle.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Main Street Plaza - Cinderella Castle - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Main Street Plaza - Cinderella Castle November 11, 2013 - Night
- Blog - Happy Thanksgiving from the Magic Kingdom!
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Main Street U.S.A. Bridge - Main Street U.S.A. - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Main Street U.S.A. Bridge - Main Street U.S.A., November 11, 2013 - Night
- Blog - Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom: Turnstile-Free!
- New holiday entertainment for the Canada pavilion at Epcot - Follow the Canadian Holiday Voyageurs on a musical tour to discover the country's holiday customs.
- Blog - Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights 101
- Royal Caribbean is offering a $200 Onboard Credit and 50% Reduced Deposit! - The offer is only available for booking on December 2, 3 and 4, 2013.
- Disney Vacation Club members offered event at Splitsville Luxury Lanes - On December 2 and 9 from 5-6:45pm, the experience will include bowling, shoe rental, a shared appetizer, an entree (or kids' meal), a signature beverage and a special DVC gift.
- Several rehabs added for early 2014 - The Magic Carpets of Aladdin, Festival of the Lion King, Kali River Rapids, and the Studio Backlot Tour have all been added to the rehab list.
- Aulani named Best for Families by Fodor's Travel - Aulani was recently named "Best for Families" by Fodor's Travel in their "Top 10 Hawaiian Resorts for 2013" list.
- Blog - Review: “Frozen”
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Main Street Train Station - Main Street U.S.A. - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Main Street Train Station - Main Street U.S.A., November 11, 2013 - Night
- Limited Time Magic: Thanksgiving Treats Available - Special treats will be available at various locations in the theme parks.
- New Year's Eve dining info for Swan and Dolphin Hotels - The restaurants of the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin will be offering special New Year's Eve menus.
- Walt Disney World Annual Passholders can save up to 37% at select hotels - Discount is valid for travel between 1/4/14-3/18/14, 3/14/14-3/29/14, 1/19/14-3/13/14 and 3/30/14-4/12/14.
- Blog - Why I’m excited to take my baby on a Disney Cruise!
- Limited Time Magic: Jingle Cruise poster giveaway - Celebrate the Jingle Cruise at Magic Kingdom and Disneyland Park with a complimentary mini poster while supplies last.
- Several rehabs scheduled for the Magic Kingdom - Among the closings are The Plaza Restaurant, Pinocchio Village Haus, Tomorrowland Transit Authority People Mover, Barnstormer, and the Liberty Square Riverboat.
- Blog - Disney’s Newest Animated Feature “Frozen” Flurries Into Theme Parks On Both Coasts
- The Comedy Warehouse Holiday Special to return? - Rumors are that the popular holiday version of The Comedy Warehouse will be returning to Hollywood Studios this year.
- Blog - EXCLUSIVE: Nikon becomes the Official Camera of Walt Disney World and Disneyland
- VIDEO: Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party 2013 - What happens when you combine one 30,000 pound, 65 foot tree, one 40 foot star, 5500 twinkling lights, 430 feet of garland, 325 ornaments, 275 feet of strung popcorn, 400 flickering candles, 135 candy canes, 100 gingerbread cookies and the Disney Characters? Why, you have the perfect recipe for Christmas at the Magic Kingdom!
- Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party Photography - Creative photos from Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party
- Christmas dining options for Walt Disney World - All restaurants on property will be open as normal, but some are serving special Christmas menus.
- Thanksgiving dining options at Walt Disney World - All restaurants on property will be open as normal, but some are serving special Thanksgiving menus.
- New looks available for the holidays at Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique - Now through 1/3/14, little girls can choose from a Frozen Package or a Holiday Minnie Package.
- Santa Claus comes to Downtown Disney - At the Marketplace, you'll find Santa Claus waiting to greet you at his chalet in front of the World of Disney store.
- VIDEO: Josh Gad - Voice of Olaf in "Frozen" - Interview - Josh Gad, the voice of Olaf in "Frozen" and "World of Color - Winter Dreams" and Tony Award nominee for "The Book of Mormon", takes a few minutes to talk about how important it was to work on a Disney film that led to a theme park experience and the music behind it all.
- All guests at Pop Century will now use MagicBands - As of 11/14/13, guests at Pop Century will no longer receive a Key to the World card. All information for the resort and parks will be on the Magic Band you receive when you check in.
- Willie Nelson backs out of SeaWorld Orlando's Bands, Brew & BBQ event
- Disney obtains distrbution rights to future Indiana Jones films
- Family sues Disney when woman dies from complications after a fall
- Disney's PhotoPass+ changing to Memory Maker
- WestJet debuts Sorcerer Mickey plane
- Seaworld Orlando's Shamu show closes for 3 months
- Barenaked Ladies cancels SeaWorld concert due to animal rights issue
- 12-year-old girl protests SeaWorld parade float
- SeaWorld plans several events for early 2014
- Guest credit card info stolen by Universal Orlando employee
Today's Theme Park Hours
Epcot Future World:
Epcot World Showcase:
|9:00 - 7:00
9:00 - 9:30
11:00 - 9:30
9:00 - 8:00
9:00 - 7:00
10:00 - 5:00
Extra Magic Hour Evening: Hollywood Studios