Walt Disney World Gas Stations
The three stations generally are averaging 5-10 cents per gallon below prices outside the tourist areas. The Hess Stations are located: On World Drive near the exit to the Magic Kingdom Parking Lot, on Buena Vista Drive near Boardwalk, and on Buena Vista Drive across from Pleasure Island.
PRICE GOUGE WARNING!!
Keep an eye out for any gas station in Orlando that does not advertise their prices,
including the Lake Buena Vista area and around the Orlando International Airport.
We've seen reports of them charging a 100% markup!!
You are better off using the HESS stations on Disney Property
HESS - Magic Kingdom - World Drive
This is a car care center where repairs can be made. You can also pick up a car rental from either Alamo or National here. Shuttle service is provided from the Disney resorts.
Hours: Open 24 hours with 24 pumps including diesel
Self-service gas islands and a 4,000 sq. ft. Convenience store. Made to order pizza, subs and other food items are available. This site features a travelogue reminiscent of roadside stations of the 1950's - '60's. There's a map that highlights favorite U.S. driving destinations.
Hours: Open 24 hours
Self-serve gas, convenience store, gift shop.
HESS - Disney's Hollywood Studios/Boardwalk
Hours: Open 24 hours
Self-serve gas, car wash, convenience store, gift shop.
A lot of people find it cheaper to drive to their Disney vacations each year, whether they're headed to Walt Disney World or to Disneyland. Even though it may be cheaper than flying, gas prices are still high and they can definitely influence the decision on when to travel, or even if traveling is feasible this year. Here are some tips so that your family vacation budget isn't eaten up by the high gas prices.
Ways to Get Better Gas Mileage:
- Aggressive driving can hurt your car's mileage. To optimize mileage, follow posted speed limits and avoid "start and stop" traffic when possible.
- Utilize your cruise control when on the highway. Every car reaches its optimal fuel efficiency at a different speed, but it's generally around 60 miles per hour. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, for every 5 miles an hour you drive over 60 mph, it's like you are spending an extra twenty cents per gallon of gas. That may not seem like a lot, but when you factor in how far you are driving, it can really add up!
- Mechanical problems can lower gas mileage. Make sure tires are inflated to proper pressure (check your owner's manual to make sure you know the right level for your vehicle). Regular oil changes, tune ups and maintenance will keep your car running for its best performance and gas mileage.
- Fact or fiction? "Nitrogen filled tires will improve gas mileage." There's no real scientific proof or studies to prove this, so you'll have to decide for yourself. Compressed air (what you're normally filling your tires with) contains about 21% oxygen and 78% nitrogen (the rest is a mix of other gasses and water vapor). In theory, because of its larger molecules nitrogen will exit your tires slower than air so your tire pressure will remain consistent longer. In addition, the water vapor in compressed air can corrode tires from the inside out faster than pure nitrogen but would be negligible compared to outer wear from road friction. The claim that nitrogen is lighter than compressed air and will make your car lighter and get better gas mileage is not true (the weight difference is inconsequential). Basically, if you can find this service for free, go for it but do not pay for it.
- Pack light - the more weight you have in your car, the more gas you need to move it. Clean out the trunk of anything that is unneeded or unnecessary for the trip. Make sure to keep your emergency supplies in there though - don't take out that spare tire or jack!
- Use the air conditioning effectively - A/C takes about 8 horsepower to run and that eats gas. On short trips, it's better on your gas to leave the A/C off (if you can stand it!). On a long trip on the open highway, it's better to use the A/C than to drive with the windows open, because the extra drag of open windows on a vehicle will eat up more fuel than running the A/C will.
- Carpool! More people per car means fewer cars on the road.
- Buy the correct fuel for your car. Read your owner's manual to find out the appropriate octane or fuel type. Many people buy a higher octane than the car requires and that costs more.
Saving Money on Gas:
- This sounds obvious, but buy gas at the lowest prices available. It's often cheapest from "big box" stores (like Costco, BJs, Sam's Club), but you have to purchase a club membership. Are you saving enough to make that membership worth it?
- Don't drive 5 miles out of your way just to save 2 cents a gallon. It's not that big of a savings!
- There are several apps for your mobile devices that can help you find the gas stations with the cheapest gas.
We have a few listed here, but there are several other free apps available, just pick the best for you.
- Gasbuddy (free): This uses GPS to show gas prices near your current location. It works great and is very accurate.
- Cheap Gas (free): Sort by price and distance to find the cheapest gas. This does bring up a map, which is helpful, but we found the prices to be a little off.
- AAA Trip Tik Mobile (free): This is a really cool app! Its graphic interface shows the locations of food, fuel, attractions, hotels, etc. on your route. Click on the icons for details, including current gas prices. You can even get point to point directions.
- Some web sites to check out before you leave home:
- AAA's Daily Fuel Gauge Report: This web site tracks the daily national average price of unleaded gasoline so you can plan your budget accordingly.
- GasBuddy.com: Search for the cheapest unleaded gas prices in your area.
- One of the best tips to save money on gas while AT Disney? Use the free resort transportation! Why pay for gas when Disney is willing to do the driving for you?!
- Blog - Best Places to View EPCOT’s Illuminations: Reflections of Earth
- VIDEO: Holiday Storytellers - The Canadian Holiday Voyageurs - New to Holidays Around The World 2013 at Epcot in 2013 are the Canadian Holiday Voyageurs. The Canadian Holiday Voyageurs play multiple sets each day filled with Christmas songs done the Canadian way on the Mill Stage.
- Blog - EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW with Jonathan Groff from FROZEN
- Guests at All Star Resorts will no longer receive Key to the World cards - As of 12/2/13, guests at All Star Sports Resort will no longer receive a Key to the World card. All information for the resort and parks will be on the Magic Band you receive when you check in. This will begin at All Star Music on 12/4/13 and at All Star Movies on 12/6/13. This system is already in place at Pop Century.
- VIDEO: it's a small world Holiday Full POV Ride-Through - The happiest cruise that ever sailed gets even merrier for the holidays. it's a small world, the 1964 World's Fair attraction that came to Disneyland in 1966, gets a full overlay for the holiday season including decorations and a new soundtrack!
- Atlanta Braves spring training tickets now on sale - The Atlanta Braves return to ESPN Wide World of Sports for their annual spring training. Tickets are first come/first served and the games take place at Champion Stadium.
- Blog - Give Kids the World Village and Giving Tuesday December 3, 2013
- VIDEO: Gran Fiesta Tour POV Ride-Through - Donald Duck disappears on his way to a Three Caballeros performance in Mexico City and his friends, José Carioca and Panchito Pistoles, set out to search for him.
- Blog - Brewing Now: Joffrey’s Disney Parks Collection of Coffees
- Blog - A Brit’s Perspective – Visiting the UK in Orlando
- Specialty food and drink offered for holidays at Epcot - New this holiday season, each country will be serving a specialty food and drink.
- New bus loop at Magic Kingdom open - In addition to regular single stops, there are several double stops that will accommodate two regular buses or one of the new articulated buses.
- Limited Time Magic: Donate a Duffy the Disney Bear to Toys for Tots - Visit the Once Upon a Toy store or the World of Disney store at Downtown Disney and with every $5 purchase, Disney will donate a Duffy the Disney Bear toy to Toys for Tots.
- Limited Time Magic: Jolly Year of the Ear - Celebrate the season in style with Santa Mickey and Minnie Santa ear hats - only available for a short time at the Emporium at Magic Kingdom.
- Times and dates for Epcot holiday storytellers - Each country has its own special theme that highlights its culture. Storytellers will delight you with tales of their heritage and how the holidays are celebrated in their homeland.
- VIDEO: "Let It Go" from Disney's Frozen in Celebrate the Magic - This holiday season, "Let It Go" from Disney's Frozen is featured in Celebrate the Magic, the nighttime projection show on Cinderella Castle.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Main Street Plaza - Cinderella Castle - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Main Street Plaza - Cinderella Castle November 11, 2013 - Night
- Blog - Happy Thanksgiving from the Magic Kingdom!
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Main Street U.S.A. Bridge - Main Street U.S.A. - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Main Street U.S.A. Bridge - Main Street U.S.A., November 11, 2013 - Night
- Blog - Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom: Turnstile-Free!
- New holiday entertainment for the Canada pavilion at Epcot - Follow the Canadian Holiday Voyageurs on a musical tour to discover the country's holiday customs.
- Blog - Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights 101
- Royal Caribbean is offering a $200 Onboard Credit and 50% Reduced Deposit! - The offer is only available for booking on December 2, 3 and 4, 2013.
- Disney Vacation Club members offered event at Splitsville Luxury Lanes - On December 2 and 9 from 5-6:45pm, the experience will include bowling, shoe rental, a shared appetizer, an entree (or kids' meal), a signature beverage and a special DVC gift.
- Several rehabs added for early 2014 - The Magic Carpets of Aladdin, Festival of the Lion King, Kali River Rapids, and the Studio Backlot Tour have all been added to the rehab list.
- Aulani named Best for Families by Fodor's Travel - Aulani was recently named "Best for Families" by Fodor's Travel in their "Top 10 Hawaiian Resorts for 2013" list.
- Blog - Review: “Frozen”
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Main Street Train Station - Main Street U.S.A. - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Main Street Train Station - Main Street U.S.A., November 11, 2013 - Night
- Limited Time Magic: Thanksgiving Treats Available - Special treats will be available at various locations in the theme parks.
- New Year's Eve dining info for Swan and Dolphin Hotels - The restaurants of the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin will be offering special New Year's Eve menus.
- Walt Disney World Annual Passholders can save up to 37% at select hotels - Discount is valid for travel between 1/4/14-3/18/14, 3/14/14-3/29/14, 1/19/14-3/13/14 and 3/30/14-4/12/14.
- Blog - Why I’m excited to take my baby on a Disney Cruise!
- Limited Time Magic: Jingle Cruise poster giveaway - Celebrate the Jingle Cruise at Magic Kingdom and Disneyland Park with a complimentary mini poster while supplies last.
- Several rehabs scheduled for the Magic Kingdom - Among the closings are The Plaza Restaurant, Pinocchio Village Haus, Tomorrowland Transit Authority People Mover, Barnstormer, and the Liberty Square Riverboat.
- Blog - Disney’s Newest Animated Feature “Frozen” Flurries Into Theme Parks On Both Coasts
- The Comedy Warehouse Holiday Special to return? - Rumors are that the popular holiday version of The Comedy Warehouse will be returning to Hollywood Studios this year.
- Blog - EXCLUSIVE: Nikon becomes the Official Camera of Walt Disney World and Disneyland
- VIDEO: Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party 2013 - What happens when you combine one 30,000 pound, 65 foot tree, one 40 foot star, 5500 twinkling lights, 430 feet of garland, 325 ornaments, 275 feet of strung popcorn, 400 flickering candles, 135 candy canes, 100 gingerbread cookies and the Disney Characters? Why, you have the perfect recipe for Christmas at the Magic Kingdom!
- Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party Photography - Creative photos from Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party
- Christmas dining options for Walt Disney World - All restaurants on property will be open as normal, but some are serving special Christmas menus.
- Thanksgiving dining options at Walt Disney World - All restaurants on property will be open as normal, but some are serving special Thanksgiving menus.
- New looks available for the holidays at Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique - Now through 1/3/14, little girls can choose from a Frozen Package or a Holiday Minnie Package.
- Santa Claus comes to Downtown Disney - At the Marketplace, you'll find Santa Claus waiting to greet you at his chalet in front of the World of Disney store.
- VIDEO: Josh Gad - Voice of Olaf in "Frozen" - Interview - Josh Gad, the voice of Olaf in "Frozen" and "World of Color - Winter Dreams" and Tony Award nominee for "The Book of Mormon", takes a few minutes to talk about how important it was to work on a Disney film that led to a theme park experience and the music behind it all.
- All guests at Pop Century will now use MagicBands - As of 11/14/13, guests at Pop Century will no longer receive a Key to the World card. All information for the resort and parks will be on the Magic Band you receive when you check in.
- Disney's PhotoPass+ changing to Memory Maker
- WestJet debuts Sorcerer Mickey plane
- Seaworld Orlando's Shamu show closes for 3 months
- Barenaked Ladies cancels SeaWorld concert due to animal rights issue
- 12-year-old girl protests SeaWorld parade float
- SeaWorld plans several events for early 2014
- Guest credit card info stolen by Universal Orlando employee
- Christmas festivities taking place at SeaWorld Orlando
- Another Disney executive retires
- Performer lineup for SeaWorld's Bands, Brew and BBQ