Walt Disney World Gas Stations
The three stations generally are averaging 5-10 cents per gallon below prices outside the tourist areas. The Hess Stations are located: On World Drive near the exit to the Magic Kingdom Parking Lot, on Buena Vista Drive near Boardwalk, and on Buena Vista Drive across from Pleasure Island.
PRICE GOUGE WARNING!!
Keep an eye out for any gas station in Orlando that does not advertise their prices,
including the Lake Buena Vista area and around the Orlando International Airport.
We've seen reports of them charging a 100% markup!!
You are better off using the HESS stations on Disney Property
HESS - Magic Kingdom - World Drive
This is a car care center where repairs can be made. You can also pick up a car rental from either Alamo or National here. Shuttle service is provided from the Disney resorts.
Hours: Open 24 hours with 24 pumps including diesel
Self-service gas islands and a 4,000 sq. ft. Convenience store. Made to order pizza, subs and other food items are available. This site features a travelogue reminiscent of roadside stations of the 1950's - '60's. There's a map that highlights favorite U.S. driving destinations.
Hours: Open 24 hours
Self-serve gas, convenience store, gift shop.
HESS - Disney's Hollywood Studios/Boardwalk
Hours: Open 24 hours
Self-serve gas, car wash, convenience store, gift shop.
A lot of people find it cheaper to drive to their Disney vacations each year, whether they're headed to Walt Disney World or to Disneyland. Even though it may be cheaper than flying, gas prices are still high and they can definitely influence the decision on when to travel, or even if traveling is feasible this year. Here are some tips so that your family vacation budget isn't eaten up by the high gas prices.
Ways to Get Better Gas Mileage:
- Aggressive driving can hurt your car's mileage. To optimize mileage, follow posted speed limits and avoid "start and stop" traffic when possible.
- Utilize your cruise control when on the highway. Every car reaches its optimal fuel efficiency at a different speed, but it's generally around 60 miles per hour. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, for every 5 miles an hour you drive over 60 mph, it's like you are spending an extra twenty cents per gallon of gas. That may not seem like a lot, but when you factor in how far you are driving, it can really add up!
- Mechanical problems can lower gas mileage. Make sure tires are inflated to proper pressure (check your owner's manual to make sure you know the right level for your vehicle). Regular oil changes, tune ups and maintenance will keep your car running for its best performance and gas mileage.
- Fact or fiction? "Nitrogen filled tires will improve gas mileage." There's no real scientific proof or studies to prove this, so you'll have to decide for yourself. Compressed air (what you're normally filling your tires with) contains about 21% oxygen and 78% nitrogen (the rest is a mix of other gasses and water vapor). In theory, because of its larger molecules nitrogen will exit your tires slower than air so your tire pressure will remain consistent longer. In addition, the water vapor in compressed air can corrode tires from the inside out faster than pure nitrogen but would be negligible compared to outer wear from road friction. The claim that nitrogen is lighter than compressed air and will make your car lighter and get better gas mileage is not true (the weight difference is inconsequential). Basically, if you can find this service for free, go for it but do not pay for it.
- Pack light - the more weight you have in your car, the more gas you need to move it. Clean out the trunk of anything that is unneeded or unnecessary for the trip. Make sure to keep your emergency supplies in there though - don't take out that spare tire or jack!
- Use the air conditioning effectively - A/C takes about 8 horsepower to run and that eats gas. On short trips, it's better on your gas to leave the A/C off (if you can stand it!). On a long trip on the open highway, it's better to use the A/C than to drive with the windows open, because the extra drag of open windows on a vehicle will eat up more fuel than running the A/C will.
- Carpool! More people per car means fewer cars on the road.
- Buy the correct fuel for your car. Read your owner's manual to find out the appropriate octane or fuel type. Many people buy a higher octane than the car requires and that costs more.
Saving Money on Gas:
- This sounds obvious, but buy gas at the lowest prices available. It's often cheapest from "big box" stores (like Costco, BJs, Sam's Club), but you have to purchase a club membership. Are you saving enough to make that membership worth it?
- Don't drive 5 miles out of your way just to save 2 cents a gallon. It's not that big of a savings!
- There are several apps for your mobile devices that can help you find the gas stations with the cheapest gas.
We have a few listed here, but there are several other free apps available, just pick the best for you.
- Gasbuddy (free): This uses GPS to show gas prices near your current location. It works great and is very accurate.
- Cheap Gas (free): Sort by price and distance to find the cheapest gas. This does bring up a map, which is helpful, but we found the prices to be a little off.
- AAA Trip Tik Mobile (free): This is a really cool app! Its graphic interface shows the locations of food, fuel, attractions, hotels, etc. on your route. Click on the icons for details, including current gas prices. You can even get point to point directions.
- Some web sites to check out before you leave home:
- AAA's Daily Fuel Gauge Report: This web site tracks the daily national average price of unleaded gasoline so you can plan your budget accordingly.
- GasBuddy.com: Search for the cheapest unleaded gas prices in your area.
- One of the best tips to save money on gas while AT Disney? Use the free resort transportation! Why pay for gas when Disney is willing to do the driving for you?!
- Blog - Disney’s Festival of Fantasy Parade debuts at the Magic Kingdom!
- VIDEO - Disney Festival of Fantasy Parade - Festival of Fantasy is the brand new daily parade at the Magic Kingdom bringing the characters and stories of New Fantasyland to life! Brand new floats and costumes were produced for the parade featuring characters from Frozen, Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, Princess and the Frog, Brave, Dumbo, Pinocchio, The Little Mermaid, Peter Pan, Sleeping Beauty, Tangled, Fantasia, Snow White and more!
- Photo Gallery of the Disney Festival of Fantasy Parade - The "Disney Festival of Fantasy Parade" celebrates New Fantasyland with new innovative floats, costumes and an all-new soundtrack that features songs from popular Disney films.
- VIDEO - Topiaries at Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival - The Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival is better than before in 2014 and features some of the most beautiful and elaborate topiaries seen anywhere. New this year includes 'Spring is in the Air!' featuring Goofy, Donald and Daisy as you enter the park; Soccer Goofy and Donald; and Kermit the Frog & Miss Piggy inspired by "Muppets Most Wanted". Returning favorites include Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Buzz Lightyear, Lightning McQueen, Tow Mater, Phineas and Ferb, Tinker Bell, Bambi and Friends, Peter Pan and Captain Hook, Winnie the Pooh and Friends, Classic Disney Couples, Woody, Lady and the Tramp, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, The Lion King, Pandas, Troll and Fantasia!
- VIDEO - Outdoor Kitchens at Epcot Flower & Garden Festival - After the popular introduction in 2013, the outdoor kitchens are back at the 2014 Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival serving up some of the finest and freshest food at Epcot in a similar fashion to the Food & Wine Festival. Outdoor kitchens include Pineapple Promenade, The Buttercup Cottage, Fleur de Lys, Taste of Marrakesh, Hanami, The Smokehouse: Barbecue and Brews, Primavera Kitchen, Florida Fresh, Lotus House, Jardin de Fiestas, and the new Urban Farm EATS!
- VIDEO - Festival Center at the Flower & Garden Festival - Video of the Festival Center at Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival 2014. The festival center is where you can find many of the seminars and presentations featured during the Festival.
- 2014 Flower & Garden Festival Photos - 2014 photo gallery of Epcot's International Flower & Garden Festival
- Inaugural Disney Fit Challenge to be held in September - Competitions will include tests of power, speed, balance, strength and endurance.
- Blog - A Shopping Oasis: Merchandise at Disney's Flower & Garden Festival
- Pollo Campero at Downtown Disney will be closing 3/19/14 - Pollo Campero, Bodie's All-American Grill and Babycakes NYC will be closing 3/19/14. Babycakes NYC will still be providing gluten-free items to select Walt Disney World food courts and restaurants.
- Blog - 2014 Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival opens in Epcot
- Registration for the Wine & Dine Half Marathon opens today - This race is held in conjunction with the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival.
- Blog - Haunted Mansion Merchandise Materializes in Disney Parks
- New dates for D23's Destination D - The event will be held November 22-23, 2014.
- 2015 Walt Disney World Marathon dates - Registration for the 2015 marathon begins 4/22/14.
- Blog - A Brit's Perspective - Changing of the Seasons at the Orlando theme parks
- Rebel Rendezvous merchandise event planned for Star Wars Weekends - Attendees will receive exclusive access to Darth's Mall a day before it opens to the public.
- Blog - A February Stroll through the Magic Kingdom
- Walt Disney World restaurants add Braille menus - Beginning March 1, select restaurants will be adding Braille menus, though a list of participating restaurants is not yet available. The Braille menus will have examples of the menu items but may not list all the short term or temporary items.
- Family Ticket offer - get one free day! - Get one FREE additional day on each ticket when you buy 6 or more 4-day or longer Magic Your Way tickets!
- Blog - Disney's Polynesian Resort is Changing in a Big Way
- Just announced! Festival of Fantasy parade will debut March 9! - This parade will run daily in the afternoons at the Magic Kingdom.
- Celebrate Earth Day at Disney's Animal Kingdom - The park is also celebrating the release of Disneynature's newest film Bears, which hits theaters April 18.
- Car Masters Weekend to be held at Downtown Disney - This event takes place June 14-15.
- Walt Disney World ticket prices increase - Ticket prices have gone up effective today, Sunday, February 23.
- Mighty St. Patrick's Day Festival planned for Downtown Disney - Downtown Disney celebrates St. Patrick's Day with live music, a step-by-step Irish jig workshop, classic Irish food and drink, Irish storytellers, Irish history and merchandise at Raglan Road's Shop.
- Star Wars Weekends - extra weekend added, plus Hyperspace Hoopla cancelled - A nightly fireworks show has been added instead of the Hyperspace Hoopla party.
- Major staff cuts at Disney Interactive
- Blackfish director denies receiving confidential information
- Hank Wiliams Jr. and Alabama to perform at SeaWorld
- Universal Orlando parking garage closed for suspicious vehicle
- SeaWorld calls for investigation of OSHA inspector
- Preview of food items for Wizarding World of Harry Potter expansion
- Disney announces theme parks will stay open for 24-hour party
- Magic Kingdom Hub Expansion Announced
- Disney Cruise Line takes top honors from Cruise Critic members
- Scotty McCreery and Steve Miller Band to perform at SeaWorld Orlando