Animal Kingdom - Maharajah Jungle Trek
|Animal Kingdom Attractions||Discovery Island|
|Africa||Rafiki's Planet Watch|
Maharajah Jungle Trek Overview
The Indian custom of turning palaces and temples back over
to nature for the good of Earth’s creatures is symbolized
in the Maharajah Jungle Trek. In this walking tour, the hunting lodge and palace
ruins serve as homes to the majestic tigers that have become
the royal family of this habitat now. The rainforest-like surroundings are reminiscent
of those found in Nepal, India, Thailand and Indonesia,
and are home to other fascinating creatures.
As your journey through the Royal Forest begins, be sure to stop at one of the stands near the entrance and pick up a brochure that describes the wildlife found here and some viewing tips as well. Amidst the rocky pit area with a rushing waterfall, you can spot the world’s largest lizard, the Komodo Dragon.
Three separate areas are provided for your viewing pleasure. Further along the path, the large black and white creature you’ll see that is a relative to both the horse and rhinoceros, is the Malayan Tapir. The brightly painted hut that resembles an Indonesian community hall serves as the viewing and educational resource hut of the Bat Cliffs. Here, you’ll find 32 bats of the Rodrigues Fruit and Malayan Flying Fox species. Guests may be surprised to find that some of the viewing areas are without glass panes or wire coverings. There is nothing to fear however, as some of these bats have a 6-foot wingspan and would not be able to enter the 14-inch window frame. Magnificent Asian Tigers can be seen from three separate viewing areas.
TIP: The Tigers are most active early in the mornings
TIP: Don’t just stop at the first viewing platform.If it is crowded, move onto the second or third areas, the view may be better.
Visitors will marvel at the quiet strength of these stealthy creatures.Their playful nature can be seen as they play with the large ball in the water.
In the grazing area behind the tigers, you’ll find
Blackbuck and Elds Deer. The inner walls of the viewing areas serve
as murals that pay homage to the animals within. As you saunter further down the path, you’ll
pass through a domed Mughal-style mausoleum known
as the “Red Pavilion”. Amidst the great hall ruins on the other
side, you’ll find exotic birds of Asian descent,
some of who are tree dwellers, while others may
be ground or mud dwellers. Relax on the marble benches and see Palawan
peacock pheasants, white-rumped shamas, fruit doves,
Indian rollers, masked plovers and large King Parrots,
a few of the 50 species found here.
The wildlife may be the main attraction here, but be sure to take the time to appreciate the wondrous surroundings. As you stroll the paths through the crumbling ruins, enjoy the magnificent murals that grace the walls. These murals, some trimmed in gold, depict the legends of past royal hunts. While these are made to look old, look closely at the hunter with the turban. His earring is actually a Hidden Mickey! There are several Hidden Mickey's in the murals along the trail. Pass through the formal herb garden, where the warm scents of jasmine and honeysuckle assail your senses. See the bright flashes of cloth as the hanging pennants flap in the breeze. These represent the religious cultures of northern Asia and each is symbolic of prayers to the gods. There is also a tree hung with bells that represent the prayers that have been answered. The half-mile long path is lined with costumed Cast Members at the wildlife viewing areas to answer any questions you may have.
Handicapped Accessibility:The Maharajah Jungle Trek pathways are wheelchair accessible.
Click Here for a No-Obligation Disney Vacation Quote
from Dreams Unlimited Travel
- Blog - Disney's Festival of Fantasy Parade debuts at the Magic Kingdom!
- VIDEO - Disney Festival of Fantasy Parade - Festival of Fantasy is the brand new daily parade at the Magic Kingdom bringing the characters and stories of New Fantasyland to life! Brand new floats and costumes were produced for the parade featuring characters from Frozen, Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, Princess and the Frog, Brave, Dumbo, Pinocchio, The Little Mermaid, Peter Pan, Sleeping Beauty, Tangled, Fantasia, Snow White and more!
- Photo Gallery of the Disney Festival of Fantasy Parade - The "Disney Festival of Fantasy Parade" celebrates New Fantasyland with new innovative floats, costumes and an all-new soundtrack that features songs from popular Disney films.
- VIDEO - Topiaries at Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival - The Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival is better than before in 2014 and features some of the most beautiful and elaborate topiaries seen anywhere. New this year includes 'Spring is in the Air!' featuring Goofy, Donald and Daisy as you enter the park; Soccer Goofy and Donald; and Kermit the Frog & Miss Piggy inspired by "Muppets Most Wanted". Returning favorites include Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Buzz Lightyear, Lightning McQueen, Tow Mater, Phineas and Ferb, Tinker Bell, Bambi and Friends, Peter Pan and Captain Hook, Winnie the Pooh and Friends, Classic Disney Couples, Woody, Lady and the Tramp, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, The Lion King, Pandas, Troll and Fantasia!
- VIDEO - Outdoor Kitchens at Epcot Flower & Garden Festival - After the popular introduction in 2013, the outdoor kitchens are back at the 2014 Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival serving up some of the finest and freshest food at Epcot in a similar fashion to the Food & Wine Festival. Outdoor kitchens include Pineapple Promenade, The Buttercup Cottage, Fleur de Lys, Taste of Marrakesh, Hanami, The Smokehouse: Barbecue and Brews, Primavera Kitchen, Florida Fresh, Lotus House, Jardin de Fiestas, and the new Urban Farm EATS!
- VIDEO - Festival Center at the Flower & Garden Festival - Video of the Festival Center at Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival 2014. The festival center is where you can find many of the seminars and presentations featured during the Festival.
- 2014 Flower & Garden Festival Photos - 2014 photo gallery of Epcot's International Flower & Garden Festival
- Inaugural Disney Fit Challenge to be held in September - Competitions will include tests of power, speed, balance, strength and endurance.
- Blog - A Shopping Oasis: Merchandise at Disney's Flower & Garden Festival
- Pollo Campero at Downtown Disney will be closing 3/19/14 - Pollo Campero, Bodie's All-American Grill and Babycakes NYC will be closing 3/19/14. Babycakes NYC will still be providing gluten-free items to select Walt Disney World food courts and restaurants.
- Blog - 2014 Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival opens in Epcot
- Registration for the Wine & Dine Half Marathon opens today - This race is held in conjunction with the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival.
- Blog - Haunted Mansion Merchandise Materializes in Disney Parks
- New dates for D23's Destination D - The event will be held November 22-23, 2014.
- 2015 Walt Disney World Marathon dates - Registration for the 2015 marathon begins 4/22/14.
- Blog - A Brit's Perspective - Changing of the Seasons at the Orlando theme parks
- Rebel Rendezvous merchandise event planned for Star Wars Weekends - Attendees will receive exclusive access to Darth's Mall a day before it opens to the public.
- Blog - A February Stroll through the Magic Kingdom
- Walt Disney World restaurants add Braille menus - Beginning March 1, select restaurants will be adding Braille menus, though a list of participating restaurants is not yet available. The Braille menus will have examples of the menu items but may not list all the short term or temporary items.
- Family Ticket offer - get one free day! - Get one FREE additional day on each ticket when you buy 6 or more 4-day or longer Magic Your Way tickets!
- Blog - Disney's Polynesian Resort is Changing in a Big Way
- Just announced! Festival of Fantasy parade will debut March 9! - This parade will run daily in the afternoons at the Magic Kingdom.
- Celebrate Earth Day at Disney's Animal Kingdom - The park is also celebrating the release of Disneynature's newest film Bears, which hits theaters April 18.
- Car Masters Weekend to be held at Downtown Disney - This event takes place June 14-15.
- Walt Disney World ticket prices increase - Ticket prices have gone up effective today, Sunday, February 23.
- Mighty St. Patrick's Day Festival planned for Downtown Disney - Downtown Disney celebrates St. Patrick's Day with live music, a step-by-step Irish jig workshop, classic Irish food and drink, Irish storytellers, Irish history and merchandise at Raglan Road's Shop.
- Star Wars Weekends - extra weekend added, plus Hyperspace Hoopla cancelled - A nightly fireworks show has been added instead of the Hyperspace Hoopla party.
- Disney and unions extend contract
- Major staff cuts at Disney Interactive
- Blackfish director denies receiving confidential information
- Hank Wiliams Jr. and Alabama to perform at SeaWorld
- Universal Orlando parking garage closed for suspicious vehicle
- SeaWorld calls for investigation of OSHA inspector
- Preview of food items for Wizarding World of Harry Potter expansion
- Disney announces theme parks will stay open for 24-hour party
- Magic Kingdom Hub Expansion Announced
- Disney Cruise Line takes top honors from Cruise Critic members
Today's Theme Park Hours
Epcot Future World:
Epcot World Showcase:
|9:00 - 1:00
9:00 - 9:00
11:00 - 9:00
9:00 - 9:30
8:00 - 8:00
10:00 - 5:00
Extra Magic Hours Morning: Animal Kingdom
Extra Magic Hour Evening: Hollywood Studios