Disney's Animal Kingdom - Discovery Island
|Animal Kingdom Attractions||Rafiki's Planet Watch|
"Winged Encounters - The Kingdom Takes Flight" is taking place this summer over Discovery Island. Six different varieties of macaws (hyacinth, green-winged, blue and gold, scarlet, blue-throated and military) take part in the show. In addition to flying, there are also up-close encounters for the guests as they hear avian experts sharing conservation stories about the birds. Most are endangered in their native Central and South America. The show takes place daily at 9:15, 10:15, 1:00 and 2:00 and lasts for approximately 10 minutes.
Discovery Island Overview
Surrounded by the Discovery River, the Discovery Island is the hub area of Disney’s Animal Kingdom. Here you’ll find the spectacular Tree of Life. Towering 14 stories high, the Tree of Life is visible from throughout the park. Inside the Tree’s base is the delightful 3-D show It’s Tough to be a Bug. The Discovery Island Trail allows visitors the opportunity to roam the promenades, admire the foliage and gaze upon more exotic birds and wildlife. Look for Cotton-top tamarins, Saddle-billed storks, Galapagos tortoises, Asian small clawed otters, South American capybaras (the largest rodents in the world) and green-winged macaws here. The Trail area is wheelchair accessible.
Dining areas in the Discovery Island include Pizzafari and the Flame Tree Barbecue. Serving lunch and dinner, guests will enjoy a uniquely themed dining room with bright murals, hanging bats, possums, and parrots at the Pizzafari. At lunch and dinner, guests can feast on pizza, hot sandwiches and salads. The Flame Tree Barbecue offers smoked chicken, ribs, pork, beef and fresh salads as well as children’s meals.
Adventurers Outpost is where you can meet Mickey and Minnie. Meet your favorite explorers in their indoor exploration headquarters before they head off on their next adventure! The area is full of photos of Mickey and Minnie's trips around the world, so make sure to spend a little time looking around before you leave for your own adventure!
The colorful bazaar in the Discovery Island is reminiscent of the architecture that you’ll find in Bali. Look closely at the ornately carved details on shops such as the Island Mercantile and see how many animals you can find. Inside this shop, guests will find toys, clothes, candy, collectibles and Animal Kingdom themed merchandise. Upscale clothing, exotic jewelry, tapestries, watch artisans, sculptures, collectible gifts, a ring carver and camera accessories are all carried at the Disney Outfitters. The popular Mickey safari pith helmets, children’s clothing, toys and gifts are found in Creature Comforts.
Creature Comforts will be closing in January 2015 to become a quick-service restaurant that summer. Until then, in addition to being a merchandise location, it is also a MyMagic+ service center.
Click Here for a No-Obligation Disney Vacation Quote
from Dreams Unlimited Travel
- Marketplace menus for Epot International Food & Wine Festival - List of menu items for the marketplaces set up around World Showcase.
- Rehab planned in November for Magic Carpets of Aladdin - The Magic Kingdom attraction will be closed 11/10 - 11/21/2014.
- Food & Wine Festival Special Dining Experiences released - Bookings for these experiences begin July 31.
- 10 Places to Wait Out a Thunderstorm at Walt Disney World
- Disney Castaway Cay Challenge added to Princess Half Marathon Weekend - Runners who are registered for any of the Disney races (5K or longer) during the Weekend have the option to complete the Disney Castaway Cay Challenge when sailing on the Disney Dream February 23-27.
- Fantasia Miniature Golf Course rehab planned off and on for the next two weeks - Gardens Course closed 7/22-7/25/2014, 7/28-8/1/2014, 8/4-8/8/2014. The Fairways will still be open.
- Blog - I Can Go The Distance: Deciding is one thing, registering is another
- Save up to 30% on a Room Only reservation at Walt Disney World! - Valid for stays most nights 10/4/14 - 11/25/14 and 11/29/14 - 12/23/14.
- 2015 WDW hotel discount released for U.S. Military - Valid for stays most nights 9/28/14 - 10/3/15.
- All 3 remaining weekends sold out for Harambe Nights - July 26, August 2 and August 9 are sold out.
- Annual passholder discount for Spice Road Table - Through 9/17/14, Annual Passholders can get a 30% discount on their bill.
- 2015 Military Ticket Discount info released - Members of the military can purchase 4-day Magic Your Way tickets with Park Hopper option for $177 each.
- Changes to reservation times for Wishes Dessert Party - Reservations are all being set for 6:00pm, no matter when Wishes is taking place. The dessert party will actually take place one hour before Wishes.
- Frozen Summer Fun Premium package is sold out for all remaining dates - This package gives guests at Frozen Summer Fun Live reserved viewing for several events.
- Wild by Design tour to be discontinued after 9/26/14 - This tour takes place at Disney's Animal Kingdom.
- Fantasy Football Convention coming to ESPN Wide World of Sports - The convention will give attendees access to ESPN talent, a live fantasy football draft and more.
- Blog - Sneak Preview of What's Coming to the 2014 Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
- Dates and pricing released for ICE! at Gaylord Palms - Using two million pounds of ice, this Gaylord Palms Resort special ticket exhibit will be transformed into the North Pole.
- Blog - Disney's Magical Express Age Limit Changes: A Parent's & Teacher's Perspective
- Blog - Five Reasons Why We're Not Seeing "Planes: Fire & Rescue" in Theaters
- Blog updated - I Just Spent $20 on FastPasses! Would You? - The author has taken the tour she discussed in the blog - check out her thoughts to see if she would do this again!
- Blog - July 2014 Magic Kingdom Construction Update
- Information for Food & Wine Festival special dining experiences - book 7/31 - Premium events will be announced July 24 and can be booked on July 31 beginning at 7:00am EST. To book, call 407-WDW-FEST (939-3378).
- Princess Half Marathon fills in less than 24 hours - The Princess Half Marathon, the Princess Enchanted 10K and the Glass Slipper Challenge are sold out, filling less than 24 hours after registration opened.
- Dolphins at Epcot will be offstage through August 7 - Guests will not be able to see the dolphins at The Seas with Nemo & Friends. The Dolphins in Depth Tour will be unavailable during this time as well.
- Changes in parking due to Downtown Disney Remodel - Speeds in the area will be reduced, as well as lanes closed. Buena Vista Drive will be expanded to 10 lanes.
- Blog - Disney Responds to Disability Access Service Lawsuit
- Man arrested at Typhoon Lagoon for molesting 4 teenage girls
- Standby line to be cut off in Anna and Elsa meet and greet
- Disney's second quarter injury report: 12-year-old boy cuts fingers on Pirates ride
- 30 years in prison for man who molested girl at SeaWorld
- Possible agreement reached between Disney and unions
- Disney's CEO Bob Iger honored as CEO of the Year by Chief Executive magazine
- Trattoria al Forno to replace Cat Cora's Kouzzina at Disney World
- Technical glitch causes Universal's Transformers ride to stall
- Report: Monorail evacuated after lightning strike
- Military resource support group launches for Disney cast members
Today's Theme Park Hours
Epcot Future World:
Epcot World Showcase:
|9:00 - 12:00
9:00 - 9:00
11:00 - 9:00
9:00 - 10:00
9:00 - 8:00
9:00 - 8:00
9:00 - 8:00
Extra Magic Hours Morning: Magic Kingdom