Disney's Animal Kingdom - Discovery Island
|Animal Kingdom Attractions||Discovery Island|
|Africa||Rafiki's Planet Watch|
Discovery Island Overview
Surrounded by the Discovery River, the Discovery Island is the hub area of Disney’s Animal Kingdom. Here you’ll find the spectacular Tree of Life. Towering 14 stories high, the Tree of Life is visible from throughout the park. Inside the Tree’s base is the delightful 3-D show It’s Tough to be a Bug. The Discovery Island Trail allows visitors the opportunity to roam the promenades, admire the foliage and gaze upon more exotic birds and wildlife. Look for Cotton-top tamarins, Saddle-billed storks, Galapagos tortoises, Asian small clawed otters, South American capybaras (the largest rodents in the world) and green-winged macaws here. The Trail area is wheelchair accessible.
Dining areas in the Discovery Island include Pizzafari and the Flame Tree Barbecue. Serving lunch and dinner, guests will enjoy a uniquely themed dining room with bright murals, hanging bats, possums, and parrots at the Pizzafari. At lunch and dinner, guests can feast on pizza, hot sandwiches and salads. The Flame Tree Barbecue offers smoked chicken, ribs, pork, beef and fresh salads as well as children’s meals.
Adventurers Outpost is where you can meet Mickey and Minnie. Meet your favorite explorers in their indoor exploration headquarters before they head off on their next adventure! The area is full of photos of Mickey and Minnie's trips around the world, so make sure to spend a little time looking around before you leave for your own adventure!
The colorful bazaar in the Discovery Island is reminiscent of the architecture that you’ll find in Bali. Look closely at the ornately carved details on shops such as the Island Mercantile and see how many animals you can find. Inside this shop, guests will find toys, clothes, candy, collectibles and Animal Kingdom themed merchandise. Upscale clothing, exotic jewelry, tapestries, watch artisans, sculptures, collectible gifts, a ring carver and camera accessories are all carried at the Disney Outfitters. The popular Mickey safari pith helmets, children’s clothing, toys and gifts are found in Creature Comforts.
Creature Comforts will be closing in January 2015 to become a quick-service restaurant that summer. Until then, in addition to being a merchandise location, it is also a MyMagic+ service center.
Click Here for a No-Obligation Disney Vacation Quote
from Dreams Unlimited Travel
- Inaugural Disney Fit Challenge to be held in September - Competitions will include tests of power, speed, balance, strength and endurance.
- Blog - A Shopping Oasis: Merchandise at Disney's Flower & Garden Festival
- Pollo Campero at Downtown Disney will be closing 3/19/14 - Pollo Campero, Bodie's All-American Grill and Babycakes NYC will be closing 3/19/14. Babycakes NYC will still be providing gluten-free items to select Walt Disney World food courts and restaurants.
- Blog - 2014 Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival opens in Epcot
- Registration for the Wine & Dine Half Marathon opens today - This race is held in conjunction with the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival.
- Blog - Haunted Mansion Merchandise Materializes in Disney Parks
- New dates for D23's Destination D - The event will be held November 22-23, 2014.
- 2015 Walt Disney World Marathon dates - Registration for the 2015 marathon begins 4/22/14.
- Blog - A Brit's Perspective - Changing of the Seasons at the Orlando theme parks
- Rebel Rendezvous merchandise event planned for Star Wars Weekends - Attendees will receive exclusive access to Darth's Mall a day before it opens to the public.
- Blog - A February Stroll through the Magic Kingdom
- Walt Disney World restaurants add Braille menus - Beginning March 1, select restaurants will be adding Braille menus, though a list of participating restaurants is not yet available. The Braille menus will have examples of the menu items but may not list all the short term or temporary items.
- Family Ticket offer - get one free day! - Get one FREE additional day on each ticket when you buy 6 or more 4-day or longer Magic Your Way tickets!
- Blog - Disney's Polynesian Resort is Changing in a Big Way
- Just announced! Festival of Fantasy parade will debut March 9! - This parade will run daily in the afternoons at the Magic Kingdom.
- Celebrate Earth Day at Disney's Animal Kingdom - The park is also celebrating the release of Disneynature's newest film Bears, which hits theaters April 18.
- Car Masters Weekend to be held at Downtown Disney - This event takes place June 14-15.
- Walt Disney World ticket prices increase - Ticket prices have gone up effective today, Sunday, February 23.
- Mighty St. Patrick's Day Festival planned for Downtown Disney - Downtown Disney celebrates St. Patrick's Day with live music, a step-by-step Irish jig workshop, classic Irish food and drink, Irish storytellers, Irish history and merchandise at Raglan Road's Shop.
- Star Wars Weekends - extra weekend added, plus Hyperspace Hoopla cancelled - A nightly fireworks show has been added instead of the Hyperspace Hoopla party.
- Major staff cuts at Disney Interactive
- Blackfish director denies receiving confidential information
- Hank Wiliams Jr. and Alabama to perform at SeaWorld
- Universal Orlando parking garage closed for suspicious vehicle
- SeaWorld calls for investigation of OSHA inspector
- Preview of food items for Wizarding World of Harry Potter expansion
- Disney announces theme parks will stay open for 24-hour party
- Magic Kingdom Hub Expansion Announced
- Disney Cruise Line takes top honors from Cruise Critic members
- Scotty McCreery and Steve Miller Band to perform at SeaWorld Orlando
Today's Theme Park Hours
Epcot Future World:
Epcot World Showcase:
|9:00 - 1:00
9:00 - 9:00
11:00 - 9:00
9:00 - 10:00
8:00 - 8:00
10:00 - 5:00
Extra Magic Hours Morning: Hollywood Studios