The 11th Annual Epcot International
Food and Wine Festival
"Exploring Regional Flavors"
September 29 - November 12, 2006
PARTY FOR THE SENSES
Listen as Kevin Klose and John Magi give us a review of the Party For The Senses at this years Epcot Food and Wine Festival
OH BOY!!! After a bazillion trips to Disney World, we finally were going to be there during the Food & Wine Festival. Not only that, we would be there for a Party for the Senses. When September 30 arrived, we were ready.
There were four of us "newbies", myself, Mackey Mouse (Restaurant's Board Moderator) and our husbands. Thanks to some less than great bus timing, we didn't make it to Epcot in time to take advantage of the preferred seating at the Eat to the Beat Concert. Instead, we headed to the World Showplace and much to our surprise, they were just starting to distribute the wristbands for the event at 5:45. (A Cast Member has a list of attendees. Once you're name is checked you get your bands.)
While "resort casual" is the requested dress for this event, looking around, it ran the gamut from typical theme park attire to dressy. I can't say that one style was pre-dominant, it was a fairly even mix.
The event was scheduled to start at 6:30, but we were told they will admit us at 6:00. Considering that it was a hot day, this was very welcome news.
The outer gate opens and on either side are tables with wine goblets and small trays that the glasses fit into. You get a ticket and hand it to a Cast Member who gives you a tray and wine glass with the warning "be careful, this is the only one you get." Wish I thought to check the etching on my glass. According to it, I was at the 11th annual E C T Food and Wine Festival. (Yes, my P and my O were missing, but I digress.)
HEY!! They fooled us. They weren't letting us all the way in at 6:00, just partially in. So there we were, with our one and only glass and little plastic tray in a holding area waiting for the inner curtains to open. It was an improvement over standing outside, but it was getting a little "close" as more and more people crammed into the small space. I bet you didn't know that Mackey Mouse gets claustrophobic. Neither did I until that moment.
Being novices, we're thinking that once you get inside it's pure chaos. We planned on finding a table and waiting out the initial surge. When the curtain lifted, we did grab a table but were amazed at how well the crowds were handled. There were so many food/wine stations that the few lines that did form moved quickly.
The food/wines were divided by sections. Overhead each was draping that was illuminated in a different color. The evening's program listed which foods/wine were located at each color. In the middle of the cavernous space was a stage where the acts from Cirque du Soleil were performed. (Some of the Cirque characters roamed around during the event.) I confess, I'm not a fan of Cirque, but they were very unobtrusive.
At first I went around with my one and only glass and little plastic tray, but it wasn't long before I stopped carrying them. At each station the samples were served on small plates. Personally, I found that it was easier to carry them without that tray and glass combo.
We could be classified as mostly "foodies". Mackey Mouse headed straight to the desserts (there's a lady with great priorities.) Right next to us was one of the fantastic Cheese and Pate stations. Neither these nor some of the desserts are in the event program, but they are not to be missed.
I sampled a few of the champagnes, while my husband was in red wine heaven. Coffee and Evian water were the only non-alcohol options so if you're craving a Coke, you're out of luck.
After grazing for what seemed like hours, I looked at my watch and realized only 45 minutes had elapsed. I managed to "sample" for another hour plus, but when I finally found the elusive Wild American Shrimp couscous, I couldn't eat another morsel.
Each of us had our favorites. With so many choices, it was hard to pick one but for myself, the Rack of Lamb remains a standout with LeCellier's Filet of Beef a close second.
I need to comment about the amazing staff at each venue. These are real pros who effortlessly prepared literally hundreds of culinary masterpieces. We got a kick out of watching some of them visiting the other stations to sample one another's dishes.
Keeping in mind that this was my first (and hopefully not last) Party for the Senses, I don't know if they change the menu each week. Here's what they served the night we attended:
Where Red is Ravishing
Sesame-Ginger crusted Ahi Tuna with Cocnut Curry Sauce and Edamame Salad
Chef Alphonso Walker - Artist Point
Black Angus Lollipops, Vanilla-scented Potato Foam with a Frangelico Glaze
Chef Daniel Sicilia - The Turf Club Bar and Grill
Peppadew an Edamame Hummus with Vegetable Salad and Pita Chips
Chef Clint Lefabvre - Jiko - The Cooking Place
Moet & Chandon Champagne:
- White Star
- Rose Imperial
- Nectar Imperial
- Cabernet Sauvignon
- Sauvignon Blanc
- Russian River Valley Chardonnay
- Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon
- Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon
- Bass Pale Ale
- Stella Artois
Where Blue is Beautiful
New England inspired Bouillabaisse with Squid, Scallops and Peeky Toe Crab
Chef Matt Gennuso - Chez Pascal, Providence, RI
Garlic and Herb Crusted Rack of Lamb and Sun-dried Apricot Spice Sauce
Chef Pascal Oudin - Pascal's on Ponce, Miami, FL
Duck Confit served on Celery Root and Apple Slaw with Autumn Fruit Glaze
Chef Christian Rumpler - Le Cellier Steakhouse and Rose & Crown Pub and Dining Room
Lobster and Crayfish Bisque with Cauliflower Cream & Garlic Chips
Chef Matt Murray - the girl & the fig, Sonoma, CA
Grilled Autumn Vegetables with Roasted Red Pepper Quinoa and Balsamic Glaze
Chef Ronnie Strickland - The Garden Grill
Horseradish crusted Prime Filet of Beef with Roquefort Potatoes, Port Wine Jus, Chive Oil and Fried Leeks
Chef Albert Riviello - Le Cellier Steakhouse
Robert Mondavi Winery:
- Fume Blanc
- Chardonnay Carneros
- Oakville Cabernet Sauvignon
- Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon
- Barbera d'Asti "Le Orme
- Barolo "Tortoniano"
- "Nivole" Moscato d'Asti
- "V" Reisling Kabinett
- "Charta" Riesling
- Klaus Riesling Spatlese
- Lo Tengo Torrontes
- Reserve Malbec
- Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon
French Ministry of Agriculture:
- Lanson Black Label Brut Champagne NV
- Lanson Rose Label Champagne NV
- Trimbach Alsace Pinot Gris
- Red Bicyclette Rose
- Les Jamelles Pinot Noir
- Heritage Cotes du Rhone
- Fat Bastard Grand Reserve
- Boston Lager
Remy Martin Cognac:
- Strawberry Kiwi Cognac
- 1738 Accord Royal Cognac
Where Purple is a Passion
Sausage and Cornbread-stuffed Pork Loin with Corn Relish
Chef Jonathan Sanders - Biergarten Restaurant
Red King Crab, Artichoke and Celery Root Mousseline with Spiced Pear
Chef Matt Carter - Zinc Bistro, Scottsdale, AZ
Almond Hippen Roll with White Chocolate Filling & Spice-infused Chocolate Bonnet
Chef Lothar Neumaier - Pastry Chef Epcot
Valrhona Chocolate Cake with Caramel and Almond Roca
Chef Mike McCarey - Mike's Amazing Cakes, Redmond, WA
- Grand Cru Chardonnay
- First Label Merlot
- Estate Merlot
Maison Louis Jadot:
- "Chateau des Jacques" Moulin-A-Vent
Where Yellow is Mellow
Vol-au-vent aus Ris de Veau (Braised Sweetbreads in Puff Pastry)
Chef Laurent Carillon - Chefs de France
Sauteed Duck Breast with Woodford Reserve Grape and Black Peppercorn Sauce, Roasted Duck Leg with a Medley of Mushrooms and Polenta
Chef Jean-Robert de Cavel - Jean-Robert at Pigali's, Cincinnati, OH
Cedar Plank Thai Salmon with White Truffle Polenta accompanied with Asian Sauces
Chef Andrew Selz - Chef Selz Inc., Pensacola, FL
- Limited Selection Sauvignon Blanc
- Limited Selection Cabernet-Carmenere
Click Wine Group:
- Clean Slate Riesling
- Flying Fish Merlot
- Unico Gran Reserva Cabernet Sauvignon
- Carneros Pinot Gris
- Carneros Pinot Noir
- Napa Valley Merlot
- Single Barrel Pinot Noir
- Select Barrel XO
- Cask 48
Where Green is Grand
Pan Fried Oysters on Wilted Greens with Truffle Caper Aioli
Chef Michael Viola - Tony's Town Square Restaurant
Mediterranean Lamb Salad with Cilantro-Lime Yogurt and Avocado Drizzle
Chef Phillip Ponticelli - Citrico's
Butternut Squash Tortellini, Chai Tea Wild Mushroom Ragu with Cranberry Cream
Chef Ron Asimos - 50's Prime Time Cafe
Pan Roasted Scallo with Succotash Salad and Applewood Smoked Bacon
Chef Celina Tio - The American Restaurant, Kansas City, MO
Lemon Pound Cake with Citrus Compote and Tarragon Gelee
Chef Jennifer Reed - Cafe Boulud, Palm Beach, FL
Almond Pain de Genes with Sauteed Caramelized Bananas with Jamaican Rum Ice Cream
Chef Andrew Shotts - Garrison Confections, Providence, RI
Korbel Champagne Cellars:
- Chardonnay Champagne
- Brut Rose
Mission Hill Family Estate:
- Estate Chardonnay
- SLC Merlot
- Reserve Riesling Ice Wine
- Yellow Label Riesling
- Yellow Label Chardonnay
- Gold Label Cabernet Sauvignon
- Cremant Rose
- Riesling Schoenenbourg, Grand Cru
- Gewurztraminer, Reserve
- Pinot Noir, Prestige
Where Pink is Pizzazz
Wild American Shrimp Couscous, Pink Grapefruit, Avocado, Yogurt Sauce and Middle Eastern Spices
Chef Zach Bell - Cafe Boulud, Palm Beach, FL
Slow-cooked Pork Belly with Spicy Black Bean Relish and Avocado Creme Fraiche
Chef Tony Marotta - Spoodles
Ernest and Julio Gallo Winery:
- MacMurray Ranch Sonoma Coast Pinot Gris
- MacMurray Ranch Russian River Pinot Noir
- Gallo Family Vineyards Northern Sonoma Estate Cabernet Sauvignon
- Thomas Hyland Chardonnay
- Bin 128 Coonawarra Shiraz
- Koonunga Hill Shiraz-Cabernet
- Blog - 7 in 7: Art of Animation Resort
- VIDEO: Disney Beyond The Parks - Producing the Aulani Live Show - Visit http://www.wdwinfo.com/beyondtheparks/#hawaii to view the full DIS Unplugged show from Aulani in Hawaii. For the latest updates on our trip to Aulani and Hawaii, visit http://new.livestream.com/TheDIS/aulani Join the DIS Team as we explore Disney beyond the parks, starting with Aulani, a Disney Resort and Spa in Hawaii!
- Follow along as the DIS goes... Beyond The Parks!! - Members of the DIS Unplugged podcast team are headed to Disney's Aulani Resort, sailing on an Alaskan Disney cruise and taking an Adventures by Disney Backstage Magic trip!
- Blog - Help! A Walt Disney World Vet’s First Time at Disneyland – Part 5
- Watch our live broadcast from Disney's Aulani Resort - Tue. May 21 at 8pm EDT - Disney... Beyond The Parks! Come with us as we visit Disney's Aulani Resort, sail on an Alaskan Disney cruise, and take an Adventures By Disney trip! We're kicking off the trip with a live broadcast from Disney's Aulani Resort - Tue. May 21, 2013 8:00pm EDT.
- Livestream coverage of Star Wars Weekends events - Photos and video of Star Wars Weekends at Disney's Hollywood Studios.
- Blog - Star Wars Weekends 2013 comes to Disney’s Hollywood Studios
- Schedule of artists for the Eat to the Beat concerts - As with all Disney events, themed entertainment is part of the festivities. Visitors to the Food and Wine Festival can "Eat to the Beat!"
- Festival of the Masters dates released for November 2013 - This art festival will be held at Downtown Disney November 8-10, 2013.
- Blog - FIRST LOOK: Disney's MyMagic+ MagicBand - The DIS got a first look at Disney's new MagicBands which are part of their MyMagic+ rollout! Take a look at the photos of the MagicBand and a brief review of what we thought about wearing them...
- Blog - Summer Dooney & Bourke Release Update
- Schedule released for Star Wars Weekends - Schedule for the events during Star Wars Weekends.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Disney's Hollywood Studios - Sunset Boulevard - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Walt Disney World.
- Free admission to Blizzard Beach for Annual Passholders today! - Today, May 16, Annual Passholders will get complimentary admission to Disney's Blizzard Beach Water Park after 2:00 pm. Complimentary refreshments and giveaways will take place at Lottawatta Lodge.
- Blog - Moving the Needle at the Orlando Theme Parks
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Magic Kingdom - Crystal Palace - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Walt Disney World.
- Adventurers Outpost meet and greet location opens at Animal Kingdom - The new indoor meet and greet location for Mickey and Minnie is now open in Discovery Island.
- November 2013 Disney World park hours added
- Details released for 2013 Epcot Food and Wine Festival - A Scotland marketplace will be added. Dates for the Party for the Senses, as well as a partial schedule for the Eat to the Beat concerts also released.
- Summer edition coming to Celebrate the Magic show - The summer edition of this show will start later this month, possibly May 24, during the 24-hour Monstrous Summer event.
- Cirque du Soleil closed for refurbishment through May 27 - The next performance of Cirque du Soleil will be May 28.
- Blog - The Contemporary Resort Hotel – Walt Disney World’s Resort Loop Hotels
- Book a trip during the Free Dining promotion! - Free dining is available for check-ins between 9/2 and 9/25/13!
- New operating hours for Splitsville at Downtown Disney - Splitsville, Downtown Disney's luxury bowling alley, has updated its hours of operation.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench Video - Art of Animation - Wheel Well Hotel - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Walt Disney World.
- Typhoon Lagoon to close for refurbishment - Disney's Typhoon Lagoon water park will be closed from May 12 - May 16 for refurbishment.
- Blog - Merida becomes a Disney Princess (Includes Coronation Video)!
- Limited Time Magic: Make a Moment in Time Out of Mother's Day - Stop by Tren-D or the World of Disney Store at Downtown Disney to see the new collection of watches designed just for the occasion. Moms will receive a flower on Mother's Day when they enter the theme parks.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Coronado Springs - Marina Courtyard - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Walt Disney World.
- Life-size rancor replica and three one-man shows coming to Star Wars Weekends - Guests will have a photo op with a replica rancor, Jabba the Hut's prized pet. There will also be three one-man shows performed by some of the celebrity guests.
- 30% off Room Only offer available for the general public! - Guests can save up to 30% when they book a Room Only reservation at select Walt Disney World resorts for most nights 8/15/13 - 9/28/13.
- Free Dining offer available for the general public! - Walt Disney World has announced a Free Dining offer for the general public!
- Raglan Road to host Summer Solstice Celebration - Master Chef Kevin Dundon has created the five-course menu for this meal, celebrating the Summer Solstice with fresh, seasonal flavors. Wines have been chosen for each course. Celebrating the Summer Solstice is a time-honored tradition and marks the official start to summer.
- Blog - Disney’s Animal Kingdom’s Split Personality
- Celebrity list updated for Star Wars Weekends - The list of celebrities appearing at Star Wars Weekends later this month has been updated.
- Truckeria Rolling Tacos food truck parked at Downtown Disney this week - Food is available from 6pm - 11pm and will include tacos, chips and salsa.
- Walt Disney World Annual Passholders can save up to 35% at select hotels - Annual passholders can save up to 35% when booking a Room Only reservation at select Walt Disney World hotels. Discount is valid for travel between 6/4/13 - 8/15/13.
- 30% off Room Only offer for Disney Visa cardholders! - Disney Visa cardholders can save up to 30% when they book a Room Only reservation at select Walt Disney World resorts for most nights 8/15/13 - 9/28/13.
- Free Dining offer announced for Disney Visa cardholders! - Disney Visa cardholders can book a Walt Disney World vacation package for 9/2/13 - 9/25/13 and receive the Disney Dining Plan for free!
- Walt Disney World golf courses offer new Players Club program - For $29 per month, members can use the practice ranges for free and take advantage of free daily golf clinics (Monday-Friday) led by PGA-certified golf instructors, as well as receive other discounts.
- Blog - May the Fourth Be with You: Intergalactic Star Wars Shopping
- Limited Time Magic: Celebrate Cinco de Mayo at Epcot - Meet the Three Caballeros, enjoy live music, marionettes, folkloric dancing and songs by Mariachi Cobre.
- Limited Time Magic: Merida Becomes an Official Disney Princess - In a royal coronation ceremony at the Magic Kingdom, Merida (from the film Brave) will be christened as an official Disney Princess.
- Blog - New Disney Dooney & Bourke Release This Summer
- List of performers for 2013 Night of Joy concerts - Disney’s Night of Joy features contemporary Christian performers. The star-studded lineup is always outstanding and features a host of Dove Award and Grammy Award winning artists.
- Blog - Help! A Walt Disney World Vet’s First Time at Disneyland – Part 4
- "The Simpsons" area officially announced for Universal Orlando
- 11-year-old girl molested on Disney Dream; Disney Cruise Line doesn't report incident promptly
- Disney and Lucasfilm announce new animated Star Wars series
- Walt Disney World uses online job fair to hire employees
- Former Disney World employee arrested on pornography charges
- Half-hour Toy Story special coming to ABC this fall
- Expedition Cafe to open with SeaWorld's Antarctica exhibit
- Tour company uses wheelchairs to promise front of the line access at Walt Disney World?
- Calfornia adjusts safety citations and fines against Disneyland
- Disney and Electronic Arts to produce Star Wars video games
Today's Theme Park Hours
Epcot Future World:
Epcot World Showcase:
|9:00 - 11:00
9:00 - 9:00
11:00 - 9:00
9:00 - 6:00
9:00 - 7:00
10:00 - 5:00
10:00 - 5:00
Extra Magic Hours Morning: Magic Kingdom