Magic Kingdom - it's a small world
it's a small worldOpened: 1971
Ride Length: 10 minutes, 30 seconds
The “legend” has it that if you ride it’s a small world at Disney World or Disneyland, the song will stay in your head forever, it's a small world after all. A lot of people claim this ride is just a cliché or is “just for kids.” People will tell you that they avoid it like the plague. These are the same people that will turn around and moan that the Carousel of Progress should be saved, or that they never should have taken out Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride. Their reasoning is that these are Walt Disney’s Legacy.
Let’s talk about that. Many of the older, or original if you prefer, attractions at Disneyland and Disney World have Walt’s touch. Walt and his team of Imagineers, led by artist and designer Mary Blair, created it’s a small world as tribute to the children of the world for the UNICEF pavilion at the 1964/65 World’s Fair. The Sherman Brothers, responsible for a big chunk of Disney music (ex. Mary Poppins) originally wrote the theme song as a ballad. Legend has it that Walt told them he needed something “peppy” that would last throughout the ride. It was decided that the song you love to hate would be sped up and sung as a round. What you see today is very close to Walt’s original attraction for the World’s Fair. Seems like a pretty good pedigree to us.
After the World’s Fair ended, it’s a small world was moved to Disneyland, where it remains one of the park’s premiere attractions. It has also been a staple of Disney World since 1971.
There have been some minor modifications and touchups, but for the most part it has remained that brightly colored attraction that people love and love to hate. Mary Blair’s original concept for the ride was a vision in stark white and gold. The huge smiling clock face that adorns Disneyland’s version is known to millions as the face of it’s a small world. This is the classic look for this attraction.
Watch the clock in the loading area every 15 minutes for a little surprise.
Handicapped Accessibility: Guests must be able to transfer from their ECVs into a wheelchair in order to ride.
Handheld captioning is available.
Fun Fact: The ride's artist and designer Mary Blair also created the huge multi-story murals on the Grand Canyon Concourse at Walt Disney World’s Contemporary Resort.
- csjordan - "This ride is overall good for kids. The only bad thing is the song that gets stuck in my head everytime I ride!"
- Rainkiss - "I love this ride, I really do. Sure, the music will require a sledgehammer to get out of your head, but there's just SO much to see, you catch a new detail or two every time."
More it's a small world Reviews
- Dates and seminars announced for Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Food & Wine Classic - 2014 will be the 5th year for this event that features wine and beer seminars, tasting stations and live music.
- VIDEO: 2014 Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival - One of the most welcome signs of spring is Epcot's annual International Flower & Garden Festival. While the grounds at Epcot are always beautiful, the Flower and Garden Festival takes them to the next level. At the festival you'll find gardens, topiaries, play areas, outdoor food kitchens, exhibits, music, and more.
- Blog - Disney's Festival of Fantasy Parade debuts at the Magic Kingdom!
- VIDEO - Disney Festival of Fantasy Parade - Festival of Fantasy is the brand new daily parade at the Magic Kingdom bringing the characters and stories of New Fantasyland to life! Brand new floats and costumes were produced for the parade featuring characters from Frozen, Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, Princess and the Frog, Brave, Dumbo, Pinocchio, The Little Mermaid, Peter Pan, Sleeping Beauty, Tangled, Fantasia, Snow White and more!
- Photo Gallery of the Disney Festival of Fantasy Parade - The "Disney Festival of Fantasy Parade" celebrates New Fantasyland with new innovative floats, costumes and an all-new soundtrack that features songs from popular Disney films.
- VIDEO - Topiaries at Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival - The Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival is better than before in 2014 and features some of the most beautiful and elaborate topiaries seen anywhere. New this year includes 'Spring is in the Air!' featuring Goofy, Donald and Daisy as you enter the park; Soccer Goofy and Donald; and Kermit the Frog & Miss Piggy inspired by "Muppets Most Wanted". Returning favorites include Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Buzz Lightyear, Lightning McQueen, Tow Mater, Phineas and Ferb, Tinker Bell, Bambi and Friends, Peter Pan and Captain Hook, Winnie the Pooh and Friends, Classic Disney Couples, Woody, Lady and the Tramp, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, The Lion King, Pandas, Troll and Fantasia!
- VIDEO - Outdoor Kitchens at Epcot Flower & Garden Festival - After the popular introduction in 2013, the outdoor kitchens are back at the 2014 Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival serving up some of the finest and freshest food at Epcot in a similar fashion to the Food & Wine Festival. Outdoor kitchens include Pineapple Promenade, The Buttercup Cottage, Fleur de Lys, Taste of Marrakesh, Hanami, The Smokehouse: Barbecue and Brews, Primavera Kitchen, Florida Fresh, Lotus House, Jardin de Fiestas, and the new Urban Farm EATS!
- VIDEO - Festival Center at the Flower & Garden Festival - Video of the Festival Center at Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival 2014. The festival center is where you can find many of the seminars and presentations featured during the Festival.
- 2014 Flower & Garden Festival Photos - 2014 photo gallery of Epcot's International Flower & Garden Festival
- Inaugural Disney Fit Challenge to be held in September - Competitions will include tests of power, speed, balance, strength and endurance.
- Blog - A Shopping Oasis: Merchandise at Disney's Flower & Garden Festival
- Pollo Campero at Downtown Disney will be closing 3/19/14 - Pollo Campero, Bodie's All-American Grill and Babycakes NYC will be closing 3/19/14. Babycakes NYC will still be providing gluten-free items to select Walt Disney World food courts and restaurants.
- Blog - 2014 Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival opens in Epcot
- Registration for the Wine & Dine Half Marathon opens today - This race is held in conjunction with the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival.
- Blog - Haunted Mansion Merchandise Materializes in Disney Parks
- New dates for D23's Destination D - The event will be held November 22-23, 2014.
- 2015 Walt Disney World Marathon dates - Registration for the 2015 marathon begins 4/22/14.
- Blog - A Brit's Perspective - Changing of the Seasons at the Orlando theme parks
- Rebel Rendezvous merchandise event planned for Star Wars Weekends - Attendees will receive exclusive access to Darth's Mall a day before it opens to the public.
- Blog - A February Stroll through the Magic Kingdom
- Walt Disney World restaurants add Braille menus - Beginning March 1, select restaurants will be adding Braille menus, though a list of participating restaurants is not yet available. The Braille menus will have examples of the menu items but may not list all the short term or temporary items.
- Family Ticket offer - get one free day! - Get one FREE additional day on each ticket when you buy 6 or more 4-day or longer Magic Your Way tickets!
- Blog - Disney's Polynesian Resort is Changing in a Big Way
- Just announced! Festival of Fantasy parade will debut March 9! - This parade will run daily in the afternoons at the Magic Kingdom.
- Celebrate Earth Day at Disney's Animal Kingdom - The park is also celebrating the release of Disneynature's newest film Bears, which hits theaters April 18.
- Car Masters Weekend to be held at Downtown Disney - This event takes place June 14-15.
- Walt Disney World ticket prices increase - Ticket prices have gone up effective today, Sunday, February 23.
- Mighty St. Patrick's Day Festival planned for Downtown Disney - Downtown Disney celebrates St. Patrick's Day with live music, a step-by-step Irish jig workshop, classic Irish food and drink, Irish storytellers, Irish history and merchandise at Raglan Road's Shop.
- Star Wars Weekends - extra weekend added, plus Hyperspace Hoopla cancelled - A nightly fireworks show has been added instead of the Hyperspace Hoopla party.
- Rapids ride evacuated at Universal Orlando
- Leadership changes at Walt Disney World resorts and transportation
- Disney and unions extend contract
- Major staff cuts at Disney Interactive
- Blackfish director denies receiving confidential information
- Hank Wiliams Jr. and Alabama to perform at SeaWorld
- Universal Orlando parking garage closed for suspicious vehicle
- SeaWorld calls for investigation of OSHA inspector
- Preview of food items for Wizarding World of Harry Potter expansion
- Disney announces theme parks will stay open for 24-hour party
Today's Theme Park Hours
Epcot Future World:
Epcot World Showcase:
|9:00 - 1:00
9:00 - 9:00
11:00 - 9:00
9:00 - 9:30
8:00 - 8:00
10:00 - 5:00
Extra Magic Hours Morning: Animal Kingdom