Magic Kingdom - Buzz Lightyear
|Restaurants and Shops|
Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin
Opened: October 7, 1998
Ride length: 4 minutes, 3 seconds
Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin is one of the most fun attractions in Disney World. You're literally in the middle of a giant arcade game, shooting lasers and racking up points as you head to the ultimate showdown with the evil emperor Zurg.
You ride in XP-37 Space Cruisers. These are designed to seat two. One mistake I sometimes see is when Mom/Dad squeezes in with two of the kids. While you may all fit, someone isn't going to have a laser cannon to shoot. If the kids are big enough, let them ride on their own and take the car behind them.
The Space Cruisers glide along an "Omnimover" and rotate a full 360°. There are thirteen scenes to pass through:
- Star Command (Lobby)
- Loading Dock
- Launch Bay
- Robot Attack
- Planet "Z"
- Zurg's Ship
- Robot Factory
- Zurg's Secret Weapon
- Escape Hatch
- Speed Room (Hyperspace)
- Space Battle
- Star Command
- Maintenance Bay (Unloading area)
The car's ability to swivel and spin is controlled by the riders. There is normally a long line for this ride, but the cars are relatively quick loading.
By the way, that flash of light towards the end isn't a huge score- you just had your picture taken. Souvenir photos will be available for purchase at the end of the ride.
NOTE: In case you're worried about the lasers and 'taking an eye out', relax. They've actually been certified by the Food & Drug Administration and are safe. (Think barcode scanners at the grocery story for comparison.) BLAST AWAY!! No one's going to get hurt, except for the occasional bruised ego if you're beaten by your 4 year old.
Disney history buffs will want to note that this site originally housed the "If You Had Wings" attraction which was sponsored by Eastern Airlines and was in operation from 6/5/72 through 6/1/87.
From 6/6/87 till 1/3/89, it became "If You Could Fly" and was sponsored by Delta Airlines. It was shut down until 6/6/89 when it reopened as the newly refurbished "Delta Dreamflight."
After Delta ended its sponsorship on 1/1/96 it was renamed "Take Flight". On 1/5/98 it closed and on 10/7/98, became Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin.
Handicapped Accessibility: Guests will have to transfer out of their wheelchairs for this ride.
Aim for the center of the "Z's".
The targets that are further away and those that are moving are worth more points.
Hit the top of the volcano for 100,000 points.
After passing the "Rock 'Em, Sock 'Em Robots," pivot your car around and see if you can hit the target on the back of the robot's wrist for 100,000 points.
Look for the spider after the robots and see if you can shoot it.
In the room where the targets are projected, don't stop shooting.
Try hitting the batteries in the front to knock them down and rack up points.
- JEThompson99 - "It's good fun riding around and shooting targets and collecting points! But Toy Story Mania has it beat with the 3D."
- auroralark - "This ride is fun, but I think it's lost something since the opening of Toy Story Midway Mania at DHS. It's fun to shoot at the targets but it's kind of difficult to tell which red dot is yours. Still, the line moves quick and it's fun. We ride it every trip."
More Buzz Lightyear Reviews
- Blog - A Shopping Oasis: Merchandise at Disney's Flower & Garden Festival
- Pollo Campero at Downtown Disney will be closing 3/19/14 - Pollo Campero, Bodie's All-American Grill and Babycakes NYC will be closing 3/19/14. Babycakes NYC will still be providing gluten-free items to select Walt Disney World food courts and restaurants.
- Blog - 2014 Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival opens in Epcot
- Registration for the Wine & Dine Half Marathon opens today - This race is held in conjunction with the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival.
- Blog - Haunted Mansion Merchandise Materializes in Disney Parks
- New dates for D23's Destination D - The event will be held November 22-23, 2014.
- 2015 Walt Disney World Marathon dates - Registration for the 2015 marathon begins 4/22/14.
- Blog - A Brit's Perspective - Changing of the Seasons at the Orlando theme parks
- Rebel Rendezvous merchandise event planned for Star Wars Weekends - Attendees will receive exclusive access to Darth's Mall a day before it opens to the public.
- Blog - A February Stroll through the Magic Kingdom
- Walt Disney World restaurants add Braille menus - Beginning March 1, select restaurants will be adding Braille menus, though a list of participating restaurants is not yet available. The Braille menus will have examples of the menu items but may not list all the short term or temporary items.
- Family Ticket offer - get one free day! - Get one FREE additional day on each ticket when you buy 6 or more 4-day or longer Magic Your Way tickets!
- Blog - Disney's Polynesian Resort is Changing in a Big Way
- Just announced! Festival of Fantasy parade will debut March 9! - This parade will run daily in the afternoons at the Magic Kingdom.
- Celebrate Earth Day at Disney's Animal Kingdom - The park is also celebrating the release of Disneynature's newest film Bears, which hits theaters April 18.
- Car Masters Weekend to be held at Downtown Disney - This event takes place June 14-15.
- Walt Disney World ticket prices increase - Ticket prices have gone up effective today, Sunday, February 23.
- Mighty St. Patrick's Day Festival planned for Downtown Disney - Downtown Disney celebrates St. Patrick's Day with live music, a step-by-step Irish jig workshop, classic Irish food and drink, Irish storytellers, Irish history and merchandise at Raglan Road's Shop.
- Star Wars Weekends - extra weekend added, plus Hyperspace Hoopla cancelled - A nightly fireworks show has been added instead of the Hyperspace Hoopla party.
- Blackfish director denies receiving confidential information
- Hank Wiliams Jr. and Alabama to perform at SeaWorld
- Universal Orlando parking garage closed for suspicious vehicle
- SeaWorld calls for investigation of OSHA inspector
- Preview of food items for Wizarding World of Harry Potter expansion
- Disney announces theme parks will stay open for 24-hour party
- Magic Kingdom Hub Expansion Announced
- Disney Cruise Line takes top honors from Cruise Critic members
- Scotty McCreery and Steve Miller Band to perform at SeaWorld Orlando
- Universal Orlando follows Disney's lead and raises ticket prices
Today's Theme Park Hours
Epcot Future World:
Epcot World Showcase:
|9:00 - 1:00
9:00 - 9:00
11:00 - 9:00
9:00 - 7:00
9:00 - 8:00
10:00 - 5:00
Extra Magic Hour Evening: Epcot FW