Disney World Vacation Planning Guide
Looking at the size and scope of this website, you may start to think that quantum physics is easier than planning a Disney vacation. Relax, there are a few basic steps to follow that will make it easy on you and your pocketbook.
Selecting a Disney World Resort
- First, take a head count. If there are more than 4 of you, there are some Disney World resorts where you cannot be accommodated in a single room. Disney doesn’t do rollaways and are very strict when it comes to room occupancy. The exception is a child under the age of 3 who can sleep in a Pack ‘n’ Play Crib. (They’re not counted towards the occupancy total.) Take a look at the Disney resorts and check which ones will work for you.
- Budget – Since the above link to resorts also includes rates, at first glance staying on site may seem out of reach. Even the Disney Value resorts are higher priced than the surrounding Orlando hotels which often offer enticements such as free kid’s meals. However, what you’re saving in $$$ may be costing you in other ways. For example, unless you want to be held captive by an off site resort’s shuttle schedule, you’ll more than likely need to rent a car. In addition to dealing with traffic, there are parking fees. There are so many advantages to staying on site. Take a moment to see what you’ll be getting or giving up and paying for when making your decision: Disney World Resort Comparisons
When to go to Walt Disney World:
- Wouldn’t it be wonderful to have Disney World all to yourself? We all have that dream, but the reality is that most of us are dealing with school/work schedules. The Mouse knows when most of us are free to travel, and the prices vary accordingly during the various travel seasons. While logic would tell you that “Value” Season means fewer visitors, traveling any time when school is out is going to translate to the parks being busy. Here’s another instance where staying onsite makes a huge difference. You can take advantage of Disney’s Extra Magic Hours when staying at a Disney resort.
- Special Events – Depending on what dates you choose, there’s usually something special going on.
- You’ve picked a Disney resort; you’ve chosen your vacation dates, now’s the "fun" part - what ticket/package do you select? Disney has the Magic Your Way Tickets which allows you to customize your ticket to match your vacation plans. It looks confusing (and expensive) but let’s break it down a bit:
- Start with the Magic Your Way Base Disney Ticket: Don’t look at the one day rate and assume that you simply multiply that number by the amount of days you’re vacationing. The per day ticket price decreases the longer you stay. Example: In 2013, one day is $95 for adults while 5 days is $289 which comes to $57.80 per day. (What’s really amazing is if you get a 6 day ticket, your cost only increases to $299. You read that correctly; only $10.00 to add a 6th day).
- Think about your travel style. The Base Ticket is the cheapest, but you can’t “park hop” with it. If you’re like the majority of guests, you'll be visiting more than one Disney Park in a single day. For an extra price you can add "Park Hopping". (The extra price is per ticket, not per day.) This way you can visit, one, two or all four of the Disney theme parks on the same day.
- Do you want to visit the Disney Water Parks and/or Disney Quest? For another fee you can do just that: Water Parks Fun & More . (Before paying for a feature you won't fully use - take a look at the costs of purchasing these add-on's individually: Water Park, Disney Quest, Pleasure Island Tickets
- The most costly “add-on” is the “no expiration” option. The best time to consider this is if you can purchase a longer stay ticket, use part of it for one trip and use the rest of the ticket during a future stay (specifically years down the road). Let's do the math (all adult prices without tax): In 2013, a 10 day Magic Your Way (MYW) Ticket with the No Expiration option will be $664 for guests ages 10 and up. If you purchase a 5 day MYW Ticket with the No Expiration option, the total is $434.00. By purchasing that 10 day ticket that never expires, you're getting those additional 5 days for $230.00 and you're paying for them at today's prices, not what they will be when you plan your next vacation. (Trust us, prices will increase, they always do).
- At this point, you have to sit down, think about all of the ticket combinations, look at your budget and figure out which one is right for you. Always keep in mind that you can upgrade your ticket after the fact (within 14 days of first use OR before the number of days on your ticket have been used). In other words, if you regret not getting “hopping” or the water parks add-on initially, you can add it while at Walt Disney World.
- For ease of travel, you can’t beat a Disney Magic Your Way Package. For starters, your tickets are encoded on your Resort ID. (It sure beats that feeling of sheer panic when you can’t find that tiny ticket that cost roughly as much as your mortgage payment.)
- There are also a few amenities added when you book a Disney Magic Your Way Package. Some are worthwhile, like the free photo pass picture, while others are questionable, such as the Planet Hollywood certificate. This restaurant gets consistently poor ratings and may not be worth the $15 savings towards a really bad meal.
- One of the most popular packages is the Magic Your Way Plus Dining package. This includes dining at your choice of over 100 Disney restaurants. If you’re booking a Disney package, then you’re staying at a Disney Resort. A lot of people aren't going to go offsite for a meal, so you might choose to book the “Plus Dining” package. Just review the “rules” that you’ll find in the package description and decide if the dining plan will work for your family.
- If you can afford to splurge, then either the Magic Your Way Premium or Magic Your Way Platinum packages is the way to go. With the Premium package you get three full serve meals at your choice of most of the Disney restaurants, tickets to Cirque du Soleil, preferred viewing of Epcot's Illuminations and the Magic Kingdom's Wishes fireworks, unlimited scheduling of almost all of the Disney Backstage Tours, unlimited child care at one of Disney's Children's Activity Centers, unlimited use of most of the recreation options, etc. With the Platinum Package, you get the three daily full serve meals including Disney's most exclusive dining venue, Victoria & Albert's. You also get the preferred fireworks viewing as well as a Fireworks Cruise. You'll have reserved seating at Disney Hollywood Studio's Fantasmic, unlimited child care at Disney's Children's Activity Centers plus private in-room babysitting, unlimited Backstage Tours, a Spa treatment, special keepsake and concierge pre-planning.
Travel Agent or Planning your own Disney World Vacation
As you can see, planning a Disney vacation isn’t easy. Which park has Extra Magic Hours? Is there a special event going on? Are all of the attractions open? Is my favorite restaurant available? When can I book it? The list is endless.
Sure, you’ll find this information on the DIS, but do you really want to constantly be checking for changes/updates and making a bazillion toll calls setting everything up?
This is where using a travel agency that specializes in Disney is invaluable. We're biased and think that Dreams Unlimited Travel is your best choice on the market. Your Dreams agent knows all of the ins and outs of planning a Disney vacation. Tours, dining, recreation, etc, is all taken care of in advance. You get a customized itinerary you can print out to take with you. In addition to your own dining reservations, touring tips and the like, the itinerary includes the Park hours, when Extra Magic Hours are scheduled, what time the parades take place and if an attraction is closed during your visit.
A common misconception is that using a travel agency means you’re paying more. This simply isn’t true. Price out the identical trip with Disney directly and you’ll see that it’s the same, just with better service.
Another advantage of using Dreams is in finding Disney discounts. If there’s one in effect when you book, great, but what if one comes out later on? Your Dreams agent will constantly check to see if you can get a better rate. They have saved their clients countless thousands of dollars over the years by doing this. Forget about Disney giving you a better price if a new offer is released after you've booked with them. While the DIS does let you know when these discounts come out, if you don’t see it right away, there’s a chance you’ll miss out on getting it.
There you have it, Walt Disney World Vacation Planning 101. With these basics you’re off to a good start. For hardcore planners, there's also a ton of useful tips found here: Disney Planning. A little bit of advance homework should make your Disney vacation what it was meant to be. A memorable, magical trip that everyone will enjoy.
- Blog - Starbucks opens at the Magic Kingdom!
- Menu updated for the reopening of the Main Street Bakery - The Main Street Bakery is re-opening as the park's first Starbucks location.
- VIDEO: DIS Unplugged - 7in7: Polynesian - 06/11/13 - For more episodes of The DIS Unplugged visit http://www.disunplugged.com/
- VIDEO: DIS Unplugged - 7in7: Contemporary - 06/11/13 - For more episodes of The DIS Unplugged visit http://www.disunplugged.com/
- Annual passholders can save up to 35% when booking a room by June 19 - Annual passholders can save up to 35% when booking a Room Only reservation at select Walt Disney World hotels. Discount is valid for travel between 6/4/13 - 8/15/13.
- VIDEO: Disney's All Star Music Resort - Visit http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-resorts/all-star-music-resort/ for more information on Disney's All Star Music Resort.
- Raglan Road Irish Pub plans Great Irish Hooley Festival - "Hooley" is Irish slang for party or celebration. There will be six top Irish bands playing traditional and rock tunes, as well as food, drink and dancing.
- Blog - Monsters University Homecoming at Disney's Hollywood Studios
- Details on 4th of July at Walt Disney World - Fireworks specials will be held at Magic Kingdom, Hollywood Studios and Epcot.
- Limited Time Magic: The Lone Ranger, Graduation Ear Hats and Independence Week - An extended sneak peek of The Lone Ranger will be shown, graduation ear hats are available and there will be a special fireworks show for the week leading up to 4th of July!
- Reservations for Dining Experiences at Food & Wine Festival open August 13 - Phone lines open bright and early at 7:00am EST for guests to make reservations for the Dining Experiences at Epcot's Food & Wine Festival.
- Blog - The Heat is On - Tips for Staying Cool in the Theme Parks
- Blog - Wilderness Explorers at Disney’s Animal Kingdom
- Registration for the Princess 1/2 Marathon opens today - This race is held in February and celebrates women's health and fitness.
- Walt Disney World annual passholders save on water park admission all summer! - All summer long, Annual Passholders can save $4 on adult tickets and $3 off child tickets to Disney's Typhoon Lagoon and Disney's Blizzard Beach water parks.
- L'Artisan des Glaces opens in France pavilion - L'Artisan des Glaces, the new Artisan Ice Cream and Sorbet shop, has opened in the former location of the pavilion's bakery.
- VIDEO: Disney's Coronado Springs Resort Overview - Visit http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/resorts/csprings.htm for more information on Disney's Coronado Springs Resort.
- VIDEO: Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground Overview - Visit http://www.wdwinfo.com/ for more information on the Cabins at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground.
- Epcot's Sounds Like Summer concert series begins tomorrow - The Sounds Like Summer Concert Series features some of the greatest tribute bands rockin' to U2, The Bee Gees, Bon Jovi and many more during select nights from June 9 - July 27.
- Limited Time Magic: Celebrate Homecoming with Monsters University - Celebrate Monsters University Homecoming each evening at Disney's Hollywood Studios! A DJ, the "Monster of Scaremonies," will play music and lead activities for the crowd.
- VIDEO: How To Cookout With The DIS Team - Visit http://www.disunplugged.com for more episodes of the DIS Unplugged.
- Car Masters Weekend coming up June 15-16 - There will be meet and greets with Lightning, Mater and Finn McMissile; 150 classic cars; autograph sessions with Chip Foose; exclusive merchandise; a Cars movie marathon and more!
- New interactive pirate game opens at Magic Kingdom - A Pirate's Adventure: Treasures of the Seven Seas is an interactive game in which guests will use pirate maps and "magic talismans" as they compete to become members of Captain Jack's pirate crew.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Aulani - Main Entrance - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Aulani.
- Blog - Expo Dream Store & Silent Auction Return to Disney’s D23 Expo
- End Zone Food Court at All-Star Sports closed 8/4 - 12/20/2013 - End Zone Food Court will be closed 8/4/2013 - 12/20/2013. There will be transportation from the porte cochere to All Star Music or All Star Movies to dine in the Intermission Food Court or World Premier Food Court. The Arcade will be closed 8/4/2013 - 12/20/2013. It is being used as a temporary Food Court with "Grab & Go" items.
- Limited Time Magic: The Citizens of Main Street perform a summer trolley show - The Citizens of Main Street U.S.A. are celebrating summer with an old-fashioned trolley show.
- South African Winemakers Tour to be held at Jiko - Tables in Wonderland presents the South African Winemakers Tour on June 13.
- Annual Passholders receive a gift pack when booking Adventures by Disney - When Walt Disney World and Disneyland Annual Passholders book a 2014 Adventures by Disney vacation by 8/23/13, they will receive a special ABD gift pack!
- Price increase for Walt Disney World tickets - Pricing has been updated for all Walt Disney World ticket options.
- Blog - A Rainbow of Colorful Merchandise at Walt Disney World
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Aulani - Aulani Lagoon Path - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Aulani.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Aulani - Lobby - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Aulani.
- 7 in 7 Blogs: All Star Music Resort - This week we feature Disney’s All Star Music and Disney’s All Star Sports Resort as part of our Seven Disney World Resorts in Seven Days.
- DIS Unplugged Podcast – 05/28/13 – Orlando Show - In this week’s show, Pete, Dustin, Shaun and Craig record the News, Housekeeping, & Rapidfire segment from a Grand Villa at Disney’s Aulani Resort & Spa! As part of our “7 in 7: Seven Disney World Resorts in Seven Days”, we discuss Disney’s All Star Music and Disney’s All Star Sports Resort. All this and more in this week’s edition of The DIS Unplugged!
- Blog - Monsters University Merchandise Scares Up Fun at Disney Parks
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Aulani - Aulani Beach Sunset - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Aulani.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Aulani - Aulani Lagoon Walking Path - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Aulani.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Aulani - Aulani Beach - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Aulani.
- Limited Time Magic: Monstrous Summer wake-up call and Celebrate the Magic summer edition - Have Mike Wazowski wake you up in the morning so you can head out to the parks to enjoy the summer edition of Celebrate the Magic.
- Blog - A Monstrous 24-Hour "All-Nighter" at Magic Kingdom
- VIDEO: DIS Unplugged - Live From Aulani - 05/21/13 - Follow along with us as we go beyond the parks!
- Blog - 7 in 7: Art of Animation Resort
- VIDEO: Disney Beyond The Parks - Producing the Aulani Live Show - Visit http://www.wdwinfo.com/beyondtheparks/#hawaii to view the full DIS Unplugged show from Aulani in Hawaii. For the latest updates on our trip to Aulani and Hawaii, visit http://new.livestream.com/TheDIS/aulani Join the DIS Team as we explore Disney beyond the parks, starting with Aulani, a Disney Resort and Spa in Hawaii!
- Follow along as the DIS goes... Beyond The Parks!! - Members of the DIS Unplugged podcast team are headed to Disney's Aulani Resort, sailing on an Alaskan Disney cruise and taking an Adventures by Disney Backstage Magic trip!
- Blog - Help! A Walt Disney World Vet’s First Time at Disneyland – Part 5
- Livestream coverage of Star Wars Weekends events - Photos and video of Star Wars Weekends at Disney's Hollywood Studios.
- Schedule of artists for the Eat to the Beat concerts - As with all Disney events, themed entertainment is part of the festivities. Visitors to the Food and Wine Festival can "Eat to the Beat!"
- Festival of the Masters dates released for November 2013 - This art festival will be held at Downtown Disney November 8-10, 2013.
- Blog - FIRST LOOK: Disney's MyMagic+ MagicBand - The DIS got a first look at Disney's new MagicBands which are part of their MyMagic+ rollout! Take a look at the photos of the MagicBand and a brief review of what we thought about wearing them...
- Blog - Summer Dooney & Bourke Release Update
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Disney's Hollywood Studios - Sunset Boulevard - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Walt Disney World.
- Free admission to Blizzard Beach for Annual Passholders today! - Today, May 16, Annual Passholders will get complimentary admission to Disney's Blizzard Beach Water Park after 2:00 pm. Complimentary refreshments and giveaways will take place at Lottawatta Lodge.
- Blog - Moving the Needle at the Orlando Theme Parks
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Magic Kingdom - Crystal Palace - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Walt Disney World.
- Adventurers Outpost meet and greet location opens at Animal Kingdom - The new indoor meet and greet location for Mickey and Minnie is now open in Discovery Island.
- November 2013 Disney World park hours added
- Details released for 2013 Epcot Food and Wine Festival - A Scotland marketplace will be added. Dates for the Party for the Senses, as well as a partial schedule for the Eat to the Beat concerts also released.
- California Grill to debut new beverage menu
- SeaWorld pays first quarterly dividend
- SeaWorld presents Summer Nights celebration
- New sail dates added for the Disney Magic
- Rumor: Star Wars Land coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios?
- Disney plans maintenance for their reservation systems
- Changes to sail dates for the Disney Magic
- Disney Cruise Line holds first AquaDucky fundraiser
- Price increase for SeaWorld Orlando
- Hiring event planned for SeaWorld's Orlando parks