Updated: Duffy the Disney Bear comes to Americaby Leah Zanolla
Sep 19, 2010
Annual passholders at Disney California Adventure were given a chance on Sunday to check out the newest Disney character, Duffy the Bear. Never heard of Duffy? This bear is the most popular character at Tokyo DisneySea; his meet and greet lines are almost longer than the lines to meet Mickey! Duffy will be a permanent addition to Paradise Pier at Disney California Adventure on October 14. To get you a little more familiar with this new character, here's the back story Disney came up with:
"Mickey Mouse was headed out for a long journey on the sea (the theme of Tokyo DisneySea), and Minnie was afraid he'd get lonely. So, she gave him this special bear to keep him company. Mickey kept the bear in his duffel bag, thus giving him the name "Duffy." Mickey and Duffy had many adventures together and they documented them all by photograph."
Duffy wears a sailor suit and features a Mickey shaped "birthmark" on his back. The popular thing to do with a Duffy bear in Japan is to take photos of yourself and the bear on your travels, just like Mickey did with his bear.
There is already a similar bear at the U.S. Disney Parks, known as simply "the Disney bear." A children's book and stuffed bear were available in stores, but this bear had a different story. The U.S. bear was Mickey's friend that came to life overnight after a dose of Pixie Dust from TinkerBell. Disney Bear and Mickey explored the Magic Kingdom and Mickey showed Disney Bear how great it was to spend time with a friend. As of a few months ago, the books were still available, but the Disney bears were nowhere to be found. Perhaps this was a foreshadowing of Duffy's appearance?
Update: Duffy will also be joining the cast at Epcot on October 14. Construction is underway on a meet-and-greet location east of Showcase Plaza for Duffy, where guests will receive a "I just hugged Duffy the Disney Bear" sticker after meeting the bear for the first time. The Towers East gift shop will sell Duffy merchandise of all varieties. Not only will the stuffed plush bears be available, but also mugs, magnets, keychains and snacks. Guests will be able to purchase outfits for their bears, including costumes representing the different countries of Epcot. Later this year, there will be photo op stations set up around World Showcase inviting guests to pose with their bears. The current masks at the Kidcot locations will be replaced with outlines of Duffy for kids to color and decorate. Disney Hotels will feature a Duffy cartoon TV and he will even make an appearance in the Disney Parks Christmas Day parade.
- News Source
- Subscribe to receive DIS Updates and News by email!
- News Feed
- Last Updated: Oct 19, 2014 - 9:25:27 AM
Other Disneyland News Stories
- Club 33 members upset about more changes to benefits
Club 33 members are upset about increased annual dues and decreased benefits.
- New Anaheim transportation hub to open next month
A new Anaheim transportation hub is scheduled to open in early December.
- Last surviving child of Knott's founder dies
Marion Knott, youngest daughter of Knott's Berry Farm founders Walter and Cordelia Knott, passed away recently at age 92.
- Knott's Berry Farm announces new 4-D attraction
Knott's Berry Farm has announced Voyage of the Iron Reef, a new interactive ride set to open Spring 2015.
- Superheroes take over the inaugural Avengers half marathon
Runners dressed in costume for the inaugural running of the Avengers Superheroes Half Marathon this weekend in Anaheim.
DIS DISNEYLAND UPDATES
- Disneyland announces Diamond Celebration Merchandise Event - The Disneyland Resort has announced a merchandise event to take place May 20 and 21, just before the Diamond Celebration kicks off.
- Save up to 20% on Premium Rooms at the Disneyland Resort - Save up to 20% on Premium rooms at the hotels of the Disneyland Resort select weeknights this Spring.
- Spring Time Roundup 2015 at Big Thunder Ranch - Check out Spring Time Roundup at Big Thunder Ranch where you can meet the Easter Bunny, Mickey and Minnie in their finest Spring outfits and Disney rabbits including bunny Pluto!
- Disney Visa cardholders - Save 25% at Disneyland Resort Hotels - With this new offer, Disney Visa cardholders can save 25% on weeknight stays at the hotels of the Disneyland Resort.
- Menu for the re-themed Smokejumpers Grill at California Adventure - This was formerly the Taste Pilots' Grill.
- Smokejumpers Grill now open at California Adventure - Smokejumpers Grill is now open at California Adventure in the former Taste Pilots' Grill location.
- Five Guests who turn into Disney Villains
- Driving to Disney - do you drive overnight or during the day?
- Springtime Roundup begins March 20th at Disneyland - Disneyland Park's Big Thunder Ranch Jamboree is the home to the Springtime Roundup where guest can meet the Easter Bunny (and other famous Disney rabbits).
- Blog - Disneyland Good Neighbor Hotel - Best Western Park Place Inn
- New Spring menu at Jolly Holiday Bakery Cafe - Jolly Holiday Bakery Café at Disneyland Park has a new menu that includes a roast beef & bleu cheese sandwich and a sun-dried tomato Caesar salad.
- Blog - Review: "Cinderella" is impressive, but was it and "Frozen Fever" necessary?
- Smokejumpers Grill opens March 20 at California Adventure - As part of the re-theming of Condor Flats to Grizzly Peak Airfield, Taste Pilots Grill re-opens March 20th as Smokejumpers Grill.
- St. Patrick's Day at Disneyland's Downtown Disney - For St. Patrick's Day, several of the restaurants in Downtown Disney will have special menu items. Entertainment will be offered near the WonderGround Gallery.
- Disneyland's Innoventions closes March 31st - Disneyland has announced that Innoventions will be closing on March 31, 2015.
- Walt Disney and The Little Golden Books
See AllDL DISCUSSIONS