Updated: Duffy the Disney Bear comes to Americaby Leah Zanolla
Sep 19, 2010
Annual passholders at Disney California Adventure were given a chance on Sunday to check out the newest Disney character, Duffy the Bear. Never heard of Duffy? This bear is the most popular character at Tokyo DisneySea; his meet and greet lines are almost longer than the lines to meet Mickey! Duffy will be a permanent addition to Paradise Pier at Disney California Adventure on October 14. To get you a little more familiar with this new character, here's the back story Disney came up with:
"Mickey Mouse was headed out for a long journey on the sea (the theme of Tokyo DisneySea), and Minnie was afraid he'd get lonely. So, she gave him this special bear to keep him company. Mickey kept the bear in his duffel bag, thus giving him the name "Duffy." Mickey and Duffy had many adventures together and they documented them all by photograph."
Duffy wears a sailor suit and features a Mickey shaped "birthmark" on his back. The popular thing to do with a Duffy bear in Japan is to take photos of yourself and the bear on your travels, just like Mickey did with his bear.
There is already a similar bear at the U.S. Disney Parks, known as simply "the Disney bear." A children's book and stuffed bear were available in stores, but this bear had a different story. The U.S. bear was Mickey's friend that came to life overnight after a dose of Pixie Dust from TinkerBell. Disney Bear and Mickey explored the Magic Kingdom and Mickey showed Disney Bear how great it was to spend time with a friend. As of a few months ago, the books were still available, but the Disney bears were nowhere to be found. Perhaps this was a foreshadowing of Duffy's appearance?
Update: Duffy will also be joining the cast at Epcot on October 14. Construction is underway on a meet-and-greet location east of Showcase Plaza for Duffy, where guests will receive a "I just hugged Duffy the Disney Bear" sticker after meeting the bear for the first time. The Towers East gift shop will sell Duffy merchandise of all varieties. Not only will the stuffed plush bears be available, but also mugs, magnets, keychains and snacks. Guests will be able to purchase outfits for their bears, including costumes representing the different countries of Epcot. Later this year, there will be photo op stations set up around World Showcase inviting guests to pose with their bears. The current masks at the Kidcot locations will be replaced with outlines of Duffy for kids to color and decorate. Disney Hotels will feature a Duffy cartoon TV and he will even make an appearance in the Disney Parks Christmas Day parade.
- News Source
- Subscribe to receive DIS Updates and News by email!
- News Feed
- Last Updated: Oct 19, 2014 - 9:25:27 AM
Other Disneyland News Stories
- Club 33 members upset about more changes to benefits
Club 33 members are upset about increased annual dues and decreased benefits.
- New Anaheim transportation hub to open next month
A new Anaheim transportation hub is scheduled to open in early December.
- Last surviving child of Knott's founder dies
Marion Knott, youngest daughter of Knott's Berry Farm founders Walter and Cordelia Knott, passed away recently at age 92.
- Knott's Berry Farm announces new 4-D attraction
Knott's Berry Farm has announced Voyage of the Iron Reef, a new interactive ride set to open Spring 2015.
- Superheroes take over the inaugural Avengers half marathon
Runners dressed in costume for the inaugural running of the Avengers Superheroes Half Marathon this weekend in Anaheim.
DIS DISNEYLAND UPDATES
- Mother's Day offerings at the Disneyland Resort - Several locations throughout the Resort will offer special menu items on May 10th in honor of Mother's Day.
- VIDEO: Peter Pan's Flight Pre-2015 Refurb POV at Disneyland - This is one of Park's original 17 attractions.
- Five Things You Should Know Before Visiting Disneyland Paris
- Disney Myth buster: A Disney Vacation is Too Expensive - Let's break down the numbers and compare exactly how Disney stacks up against other common vacation destinations.
- What's in your Disney park bag?
- 5 Songs from Disney Films that are Works of Art - I feel these songs can stand on merit alone without the movies they are featured in.
- Blog - Judge fools all, banning Frozen from theme parks and agreeing with "Frozen is my life story" author
- Succumbing to the Charms of Hong Kong Disneyland - Not surprisingly, the park has many things in common with the other two "Magic Kingdom" style parks I have visited, and it also has many features that make it unique.
- Disneyland announces Diamond Celebration Merchandise Event - The Disneyland Resort has announced a merchandise event to take place May 20 and 21, just before the Diamond Celebration kicks off.
- Save up to 20% on Premium Rooms at the Disneyland Resort - Save up to 20% on Premium rooms at the hotels of the Disneyland Resort select weeknights this Spring.
- Spring Time Roundup 2015 at Big Thunder Ranch - Check out Spring Time Roundup at Big Thunder Ranch where you can meet the Easter Bunny, Mickey and Minnie in their finest Spring outfits and Disney rabbits including bunny Pluto!
See AllDL DISCUSSIONS