Cinderella’s Royal Table Review
Review by Kevin Klose - 7/08
We recently had the occasion to dine at Cinderella’s Royal table.
Some very special guests were visiting and we thought that this would be a wonderful way to surprise them. There were 4 adults and two young ladies (10 and 7).
I have avoided reviewing Cindy’s (CRT) for various reasons. Reservations fill up in mere minutes after being released. This is as much an event as it is a dining experience. I hadn’t had the opportunity to dine with children. And finally, the restaurant has an almost mythical reputation.
With our recent experience, I had a chance to do away with most of these reasons. I had two young dinner companions. I was able to secure a reservation for a party of 6 two weeks prior to the date, and I thought it was time to see if the restaurant was worthy of all of the fuss.
When making our advanced dining reservation, I was told that I would be required to pay in full at the time of booking. The cost for each adult is $40.99 and each child (3 – 9) is $25.99. In addition to the cost of each of each dinner, you are charged tax and an 18% gratuity.
While I usually disclose the cost of our dinner at the end of the review, we paid for this one in advance. The cost for 4 adults, a 10 year old (who counts as an adult) and a 7 year old was $288.85.
Now on to dinner….
We met our guests at the specified time. I had been told to arrive even earlier than usually stated as there would be a stage show in the castle forecourt and we would need to leave extra time to get to our location.
Upon checking in at the podium, were told that we could be shown in immediately and we were taken in to the anteroom where we would have an audience with Cinderella. We lined up with the other guests and waited for our turn.
One of Cindy’s assistants saw that my young dining companions had autograph books and he took them and had Cindy sign them. I’m not sure why this was done in advance but it was.
When our turn came, the two girls posed for photos with Cindy and had a short chance to have a private conversation. Cindy was everything you want a Princess to be….gracious, sweet and absolutely picture perfect.
After our audience with the royalty, we waited for our name to be called.
It’s at this point that I should mention that guests are given the option of climbing a curving staircase or taking an elevator to the second floor dining room. Restrooms are located halfway up the curving staircase. An accessible restroom is located on at the back of the anteroom where you meet Cindy. Guests unable to use the staircase might want to take note of this prior to the trip upstairs.
Once all of us arrived in the dining room, we were shown to our table.
The dining room itself is on multiple levels and the only windows in the room look out over Fantasyland. The room is not very large but still rather grand.
Our server introduced herself, referring to everyone as “My Lady” and “My Lord”. Drink orders were taken as well as appetizer, entrée and dessert. There’s no messing around here. You order everything at once. It seems they might have plans to fill these $41.00 seats (plus gratuity and tax) several times a night
It was at this point that our server noticed that the young ladies had their autograph books out. We were told that the characters would not stop at our table, would not sign autographs and would not pose for photos. We were told that we could take as many photos as we wanted, but they would need to be “action” shots.
The menu at Cindy’s is limited in scope. There are four appetizers, six entrees and 4 dessert selections to choose from.
While waiting for our appetizers, a large basket of pretzel bread rolls were brought to our table. They were warm and tasty.
The majority of our group chose the Corn and Crab Soup as our appetizers. Most thought it very tasty, while the young lady (paying adult prices) deemed it “too spicy” for her taste. Our youngest companion chose chicken noodle soup from the kid’s menu. (Someone at Disney needs to know that celery is not the main ingredient in chicken soup.)
Without missing a beat, our entrees hit the table within a few beats of our appetizer plates being cleared.
Our youngest companion enjoyed chicken fingers for dinner. She thought they were “ok”.
Two of our party chose the Roast Lamb Chops with roasted fingerling potatoes, vegetable ragout and drizzled with herb pesto. There were two small chops and they were described as “dry and not all that tasty”.
One of our party had the Pan Seared Salmon with grain pilaf, grilled asparagus and glazed with rosemary – lemon honey. Again, this entrée was described as “dry and tasteless”. I was told that the asparagus was the best part and the majority of this entrée returned to the kitchen un-eaten.
Still another companion had the Lemon Lavender Chicken with mashed potatoes, wilted spinach and “chicken jus”. While I realize that this is a recurring theme, it was described as “having any and all moisture removed”. This might be one of the most unappealing entrees I have seen. It was half a boiled chicken lying on droopy mashed potatoes. The only reference to Lemon or Lavender appears to be in the entrée name. Again, the majority of this entrée returned to the kitchen un-eaten.
Finally, I chose the Cheese Tortellini with julienne vegetables, garlic, marinara sauce and fresh romano. This sounds tasty but it’s not what I was served. I received cheese tortellini and bland veggies in an even blander cheese sauce. This was accompanied by a slice of bread so hard it could have been a cross section of one of those “name” bricks out in front of the park. This majority of this entrée also went back un-eaten. In an ironic twist, this was an enormous serving of awful food.
While we not eating the majority of our entrees, the show began. Two of the mice from Cinderella, Suzy and Perla I believe, danced around the dining room. (John affectionately refers to them as “filler characters”.) At this point the Fairy Godmother appears. She bears an uncanny resemblance to Paula Deen. She also dances around the dining room talking about wishes and dreams and celebrations. She asks everyone that is having a birthday, anniversary or any other sundry and assorted celebration to raise their hands. Once everyone celebrating has been identified, a short song is sung. Lights twinkle throughout the room and then the show is over. It lasted roughly 7 - 10 minutes start to finish and it’s all fairly manic. I got the feeling they had a bigger and better gig elsewhere.
I have to share something at this point…..
Prior to sitting down, one of my dinner companions told me that her grandparents grew pears and they she absolutely loves them. She had heard that Cindy’s offered a spectacular pear dessert as their signature dish. She was VERY excited to try this.
Of the desserts chosen, our youngest had an ice cream sundae topped with a chocolate crown, one dinner companion had the Chocolate Cream Cheese Buckle (think chocolate muffin with cream cheese filling), one had the raspberry sorbet and two of us ordered the Poached Pear on Angel Food Cake topped with Mango Sorbet with a Port Reduction.
In this round, the ice cream sundae was the clear winner. As this wasn’t offered to adults, second place went to the chocolate buckle thing and the sad, sad, sad loser was the pear thing.
We each received half a pear soaked in port wine, a silver dollar sized puck of dense, dry angel food cake and a golf ball sized dollop of mango sorbet. The pear was nowhere near ripe and was as hard as a rock. You had to use a knife to cut through it. The port reduction tasted tinny and the “angel food” cake had the consistency of a kitchen pot scrubber. The mango sorbet made those veins that run down the sides of your neck throb because of its tartness.
Now, when I’m doing a review, I accept things as they happen and then tell you about them. As I had guests this time and this dessert was exceedingly bad, I asked our server to replace them with the Chocolate Buckle. Her response was “yeah….we get that a lot”. Two chocolate buckles were delivered straight away.
After dinner, I asked my young friends what they thought.
While I thought the food was horrendous, the show silly and short and the price outrageous, I assumed it’s because I’m old and cranky.
My young friends, while exceedingly polite and trying to be very diplomatic as they had just been treated to dinner, said that they thought the Cinderella Dinner at 1900 Park Fare was MUCH better because you could talk and dance with Cindy, the two Wicked Step Sisters and Lady Tremaine. They posed for photos, signed autographs and you could laugh and joke with them.
I asked what they thought of the food and they agreed. It wasn’t very good. Again, they were being polite.
And finally, I asked what they thought of eating in the Castle. They succinctly described there experience as “ok.”
If your goal is to eat in Cinderella’s Castle, this is your only choice. If you are looking for better food and more princess face time, your better off spending your dining dollars at 1900 Park Fare or the Princess Meal in Norway at Epcot.
- Trattoria al Forno now open at Disney's BoardWalk - This Italian restaurant has opened in the space vacated by Kouzzina by Cat Cora.
- Disney World for College Students: The Spring Break Alternative - When one thinks of Walt Disney World they often think of a place fit for families and little kids and while that is true the allure is for many more. It is certainly not a Spring Breakers-esque destination for college kids but, it can be a great time for all who want to go.
- 4 Reasons Why Tomorrowland Needs Change
- Traveling with kids Part 2 - Bites - Anyone who has traveled with kids knows how important it is to keep them well-fed and hydrated. Actually, that's just a good rule in general...
- Registration now open for the 2015 Expedition Everest Challenge - This event will be held 5/1-5/2/15.
- How Magically Sluggish WiFi Made My Disney Experience Perfect
- Woman dead after car collides with Disney bus - A Windermere, FL, woman is dead after her car collided with a Disney bus.
- Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party sold out on December 16 - The only available date remaining is December 18.
- Do You Remember the First Time? - I still have very clear memories about my first visit all those years ago. It was 1980, and even though I only spent two days in the Magic Kingdom, as that was the only park to visit, something about the experience clearly resonated deeply with me.
- Information and artist renderings of new Polynesian DVC property - There will be 20 Bungalows and 360 Deluxe Studios.
- Beginning 3/8/15, characters will be at Tusker House dinners - Reservations are now available.
- Aulani plans Christmas festivities - There will be seasonal crafts, movie nights, Christmas dinner and a Holiday Starlit Hui.
- Traveling With Kids Part 1 - Boredom - In this article, I’ll specifically talk about Boredom and some ways to keep the kids entertained while you travel.
- Itinerary change for 12/19/15 Disney Fantasy sailing - This sailing will visit Tortola instead of St. Maarten.
- One Band's Dream | Why Walt would have loved the idea of Magic Bands and FastPass+ - I tend to give Disney the benefit of the doubt in most cases. I want to think that Walt's grand idea of a magical place for families to come and enjoy is still the driving force behind the company. When listening to responses to Fast Pass+ and Magic Bands however, that doesn't seem to be a popular viewpoint. So I am going to come to the defense of these programs and try and offer a slightly more optimistic point of view.
- Purchase tickets directly through My Disney Experience app - Guests can now purchase tickets directly through My Disney Experience. Tickets can be 1-10 days, either one-park or park hoppers. Tickets can be assigned to existing Family and Friends and then Fastpass+ reservations can be made.
- Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party sold out on December 12 - There are still other dates available.
- What to Expect When You're Expecting... at Disney - There are many reasons a woman might find herself on a Disney parks vacation while pregnant. Maybe an older child is celebrating a big birthday. Maybe it’s a family reunion. Maybe this trip was planned well in advance and now you’re facing it with a happy bundle of joy on the way.
- 8:15pm Spirit of Aloha dinner show cancelled on 12/10 and 12/11 - The early show has not been cancelled.
- Blog - Frozen Welcomes the Hour of Code
- "The Taste of Hollywood Winter Holiday Grab n Go" boxed meals offered at Hollywood Studios - These are available from 12/24-12/31 and include reserved seating for Fantasmic.
- Update on check-in times for Tomorrowland Terrace Fireworks Dessert Party - If your reservation is between 6:00 and 6:20pm, you should check in one hour before the fireworks.
- Exposition Park, home to the Disney food trucks, opens at Downtown Disney - This area is located between Bongo's Cuban Cafe and Starbucks.
- Memory Maker pre-purchase price raised to $169 - The price was previously $149.
- Character meals planned for Star Wars Weekends - The Jedi Mickey's Star Wars Dine and the Star Wars Galactic Dine-In Breakfast are back for the second year.
- The Paul McKenna Band joins entertainment at United Kingdom Pavilion - The 4-piece acoustic folk band will perform several times daily.
- Dates announced for 2015 Star Wars Weekends - The event will be held Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays, May 15 - June 14, 2015
- December merchandise events at Walt Disney World - Meet Disney artists for signings and appearances around Walt Disney World.
- runDisney reveals medals for Princess Half Marathon Weekend - This event will be held 2/19/15 - 2/22/15.
- Blog - Peter Pan's Flight's new queue opens at Magic Kingdom
- Tangled Tributes - Kingdom Crossing at the Magic Kingdom - I've been through here many times, but after watching the movie so many times recently, I was really struck by all the details here in the theming. There are so many little nods to the film that most guests probably just walk right by.
- Candlelight Processional begins tonight with narrator Jodi Benson - The Candlelight Processional takes place November 28 - December 30, 2014.
- Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party sold out on December 19 - Other dates are still available.
- Blog - Vintage Christmas Merchandise at Walt Disney World
- VIDEO: 2014 Walt Disney World Holiday Showcase - Join JeniLynn Knopp of the DIS Unplugged as she speaks with Steven Miller about holiday merchandise and shopping, Robert Hargrove and Santa Stitch about holiday entertainment, and Flash, Garland and The Boss about decorating Walt Disney World!
- 3 Surprising Things About Working at Mission: SPACE - Here’s a few of the things I learned about the attraction and about being a cast member at Mission: SPACE.
- Blog - A Weekend at Give Kids the World Village
- Christmas Eve dinner available for Disney Vacation Club members - The dinner will include a buffet, Christmas carolers and photo ops with Mickey and Minnie.
- Walt Disney World New Year's Eve dining information - Many of the restaurants will offer special meals or dining events to celebrate the holiday.
- Discounts and payment plans available at Walt Disney World Speedway - Several of the driving experiences are available with a discount through the holidays.
- Epcot's Canadian Lumberjack show on hiatus - The show will resume 1/4/15.
- Play nine holes of golf at Disney for just $29 - Play 9 holes at the Disney golf courses starting anytime between 7:00 and 8:30am for just $29.
- Details for 2015 Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival - Anna and Elsa topiaries will be on display at World Showcase Plaza.
- Epcot's Spice Road Table now accepts reservations - Reservations are available beginning December 2.
- The Comedy Warehouse Holiday Special to return to Hollywood Studios - This improvisational comedy show will return to the Premier Theater at Hollywood Studios from December 21, 2014 - January 4, 2015.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Magic Kingdom Hub - Cinderella Castle - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Magic Kingdom Hub - Cinderella Castle
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - The Diamond Horseshoe Balcony - The Diamond Horseshoe - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at The Diamond Horseshoe Balcony - The Diamond Horseshoe
- Save up to 30% on a stay at Aulani - Discount is available most nights 4/6 - 6/15/15.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Bay Lake Tower 15th Floor - Magic Kingdom - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Bay Lake Tower 15th Floor - Magic Kingdom
- Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party sold out on November 20 - There are still many MVMCP dates available.
- Plan B Character Dining at Walt Disney World - If you’re looking to make a reservation for a character meal and can’t get one, we’ve got a couple of suggestions for places you may not have thought of.
- Blizzard Beach to be closed November 17 due to cold temperatures - Typhoon Lagoon is already closed for its annual refurbishment.
- Top 5(+) things that are better at Walt Disney World than at Disneyland - Bigger may not always be better, but isn't always worse either. I can't resist countering with an article that lists, in my view, the things that are better at Walt Disney World.
- Guests meeting Santa at Downtown Disney have new notification option - Guests will get pagers if the wait exceeds 30 minutes (or they can choose to receive a text message instead). When their pager goes off and they return to Santa's Chalet, they will have about a 20 minute wait.
- Disney Visa cardholders get a special gift when taking advantage of Aulani discount - When booking the 4th night free offer, Disney Visa cardholders will also receive a special Welcome Gift at check-in with specialty items and signature Aulani merchandise ($98 value).
- Disney restaurants that kids will love, but parents would rather avoid - When you’re a parent traveling with your kids, you often need to put your own desires aside and head to the more kid-friendly establishments. Of course, there are exceptions to everything, but here’s a list of three restaurants that most kids will love, but many parents would rather avoid.
- Top 5 things that are better at Disneyland than at Walt Disney World - Bigger isn't always better and while Walt Disney's original theme park is smaller, it still has the advantage over its East-coast counterpart in a few key areas.
- Rehabs planned for several resort pools - Several of the resorts have rehabs scheduled for their pools and water slides in the upcoming months.
- Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom now opening an hour early Thanksgiving week - Both parks will now open at 8:00am instead of 9:00am. Extra Magic Hours for those parks will move one hour earlier as well.
- 3 Surprising Things About Working at Expedition Everest - I want to bring you some surprising facts from the perspective of a cast member working there on a daily basis.
- Rehabs planned for Art of Animation pools - The closure dates are: Big Blue Pool 11/17 - 11/19, Little Mermaid Flippin' Fins Pool 11/20 - 11/21, and the Cozy Cone Pool 11/24 - 11/26.
- Second seating added to Frozen Holiday Premium Packages - These packages include reserved seating for the First Time In Forever: A Frozen Sing-Along Celebration and access to a Frozen-themed dessert party with reserved viewing for Osborne Lights.
- All-Star Music food court to open early after refurbishment - Instead of being closed until December 20 like originally planned, the Intermission Food Court will reopen on December 3.
- The Great 'Throwaway Room' Debate - For those not familiar with the issue – a ‘throwaway room’ is a Disney resort room that is booked for one night just to get the perks associated with it.
- Seasonal food and drink offered at Epcot for the holidays - Each pavilion will have a special offering for the holidays.
- Ticket specials available for Cirque du Soleil - Discounted tickets available through December 19, 2014.
- VIDEO: Mickey's Once Upon a Christmastime Parade - Mickey's Once Upon a Christmastime Parade at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom.
- Blog - Reduce Theme Park Lines? Invest in New Attractions
- Free breakfast offer for length of stay at Aulani - This offer must be booked by December 18.
- Jingle Cruise returns to Magic Kingdom for the holidays - The attraction will receive a new storyline, just for the holidays. This will be open throughout the holiday season, as well as during Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party.
- Mickey’s Once Upon a Christmastime Parade Photos - Photos from Mickey’s Once Upon a Christmastime Parade, including the new addition of characters from Frozen and Wreck-It-Ralph.
- VIDEO: Anna and Elsa join Mickey's Once Upon a Christmastime Parade - Frozen's Anna, Elsa, Olaf and Kristoff join Mickey's Once Upon a Christmastime parade at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom.
- Memory Maker now available for purchase after your vacation - Memory Maker can now be purchased after your trip. Previously it had only been available in advance or on-site.
- Animated Magic Shots added at select Memory Maker locations - These shots will put an animated video overlay on one of your photos.
- Christmas Day parade taping to take place at Magic Kingdom December 6-9 - The parade that airs Christmas morning on ABC is filmed at the Magic Kingdom. Park guests can attend the taping with their regular park tickets. No special tickets will be needed.
- Big Hero 6 meet and greet now open at Disney's Hollywood Studios - Hiro and Baymax are now greeting guests in the Magic of Disney Animation building.
- Blog - Frozen Ice Palace Debuts at Malls Across the Country
- PANDORA Jewelry Showcase will debut Disney Parks line - The event will take place November 7-8, 2014 at Cherry Tree Lane in the Marketplace Co-Op at Downtown Disney.
- Last day for the Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow at Hollywood Studios - The Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow is an interactive experience where guests can join forces with other pirates to battle Davy Jones, the Krakken and even mermaids.
- VIDEO: 'A Frozen Holiday Wish' Cinderella Castle Lighting Show at Magic Kingdom - This year, Elsa uses her magical powers to transform Cinderella Castle at the Magic Kingdom into an icy palace with the help of Anna, Kristoff and Olaf.
- Blog - A Frozen Holiday Wish debuts at Magic Kingdom
- Special "Elsa" Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom card available at Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party - "Elsa's Icy Shield" lets game players use Elsa's ice powers to defeat villains.
- The Best Resorts at Walt Disney World - We asked the listeners to our DIS Unplugged podcast/video show to vote on their favorites, and we uncovered a few surprises along the way. We received more than 3200 votes in total, and we asked people to rate their favorite resort by category – best Value resort, vest moderate, best deluxe and best home away from home.
- Thanksgiving dining information for Walt Disney World - All the restaurants will be open on Thanksgiving, but some have special menus available.
- Aulani plans Thanksgiving feast - Celebrate the holiday in the Kaiona Ballroom. The menu will include traditional Thanksgiving favorites with an island twist.
- Cirque du Soleil ticket discounts available for Annual Passholders - Offer good on performances November 6-December 19, 2014.
- Annual passholders can save up to 35% at select Walt Disney World hotels - Valid for stays most nights 1/5/15 - 3/28/15.
- Changes in parking due to Downtown Disney Remodel - Entrance 2 Parking lots A-G closed 12/1/2014-8/1/2016 to make way for the Town Center and the East Garage.
- 4 Reasons Why Disney's Hollywood Studios Needs To (And Will) Change - I want the current Disney's Hollywood Studios to succeed. I want to see it grow into something great. Here are some of the reasons I think Disney's Hollywood Studios needs to change for the better.
- Richard Petty "Jr. Ride-Along Experience" - free souvenir photo for Disney Visa cardholders - Get a free souvenir photo ($17.50 value) when you use your Disney Visa card to pay for the Jr. Ride-Along experience. Offer ends June 30, 2015.
- November Merchandise Events and Artist Appearances/Signings at Walt Disney World - All month long, Disney artists can be found at signings across property.
- Blizzard Beach to be closed November 1 due to cold temperatures - Typhoon Lagoon is also closed, but due to its annual rehab.
- Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Food & Wine Classic to be held this weekend - This event features wine and beer seminars, tasting stations and live music.
- Blog - Mickey's Halloween Party vs. Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party
- How To Coach Someone Onto Thrill Rides - There is no fail-proof formula, but over the years I have found a few coaching techniques that I use with thrill-phobic personalities. With them I have coaxed quite a few of the most stubborn people in my life onto attractions they never imagined they would test.
- MagicBands will automatically add ride photos to your account - If guests are wearing an active MagicBand when they ride on select attractions, the photos will automatically be added to their My Disney Experience account.
- Blog - 'Move It! Shake It! Dance & Play It!' Street Party debuts at Magic Kingdom
- Top 5 Disney Bucket List Items - You know those things you always wanted to do but haven't had the time or money to do them?
- First night of Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party is sold out - Tickets are still available on the other nights.
- Planning a Disney Halloween Party in 10 Steps - A few ideas and 10 steps for planning a Disney Halloween party in your own neighborhood.
- A new flag waving act has opened in the Italy Pavilion - Sbandieratori Di Sansepolcro performs 12-minute shows several times daily.
- Walt Disney World's Under the Sea - Journey of the Little Mermaid plans month-long rehab - The Magic Kingdom attraction will be closed from 2/2/2015 - 3/6/2015.
- Island Supply store in Magic Kingdom's Adventureland closing - The shop will be closing 10/22/14 and will be replaced later this year.
- LeVar Burton and Edward James Olmos added to Candlelight Processional narrators - The Candlelight Processional takes place at Epcot from 11/28-12/30/14.
- Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party tickets sold out on 10/28/14 - Tickets are also sold out on the 30th and 31st.
- SeaWorld lays off Clyde & Seamore mimes, among others
- Man sentenced to 5 years for Disney ticket scam
- Club 33 members upset about more changes to benefits
- Iger says future Star Wars attractions to be based on new films
- SeaWorld's CEO steps down
- Man sues SeaWorld for automatically renewing his annual pass
- Retirement date set for Disney's Meg Crofton
- Woman sues Disney, claiming disability after falling from carousel horse
- Hotel leadership changes at Walt Disney World
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailer released