Toy Story - The Musical
Presented in the Walt Disney Theater onboard the Disney Wonder cruise ship, Toy Story The Musical is a nice addition to the family friendly, well produced and thoroughly enjoyable stage shows one comes to expect from Disney Cruise Line.
Disney's entertainment division has pulled out all the stops for this production and it shows. Using a mix of live action, animation, pyrotechnics, flying apparatus, larger than life costumes, great set design and a mostly original score I have no doubt that families will love Toy Story the Musical.
The stage show very closely follows the story of the first Toy Story movie, so kids will love the familiarity. The story has been tightened up a little to fit the format needed to accommodate two shows a night between dinner seatings. There are several original songs and all are performed very well by an extremely talented cast.
For the most part the songs and music are pleasant accompaniments to the story but at their worst they serve to bring the action to a grinding halt. They seem to lack a sense of charm that the story itself conveys and, for the most part, there is little if anything new being done either musically or lyrically.
The one exception to this is the song "Make A Little Noise" sung by the character Sid, the bad boy next-door that all the toys fear. An energetic and rock inspired beat propel the clever lyrics to a place beyond where the rest of the music dares to tread.
As a whole Toy Story The Musical is a well produced and executed stage adaption of a beloved animated feature. One ‘issue’ is the way they decided to incorporate the 'human' characters with the toys. It is understandable that with theater one should 'suspend disbelief' but there were times when the scale was so far off that it became distracting and even disjointed.
There is no doubt that Disney Fans and Disney Cruise Line passengers will love this production. It is a greatly appreciated addition to the nighttime entertainment offerings onboard the Disney Wonder.
- Disney Cruise Line offers discounted rates - These rates come out once a month and must be booked before the deadline.
- Disney Cruise Line changes policy on power strips and extension cords in staterooms - These items are no longer allowed to be brought on board, but may be borrowed from Guest Services.
- Disney Cruise Line adds military discount - There is a newly added discount for the 4-night Bahamian sailing on 3/10/14.
- Disney Cruise Line takes top honors from Cruise Critic members
Disney Cruise Line received 13 first-place awards.
- Disney Cruise Line tops Conde Nast 2014 Readers Poll
Disney Cruise Line takes 4 of the top 5 spots.
- Disney Cruise Line to dock in the British Virgin Islands in 2015
Disney Cruise Line signed a berthing agreement with the British Virgin Islands.
- Disney Magic makes u-turn back to Miami
On Friday, November 8, the Disney Magic returned to Port Miami to pick up "critical technical supplies."
- Lifeguards now stationed at family pools on Disney Cruise Line
Disney Cruise Line becomes the first major cruise line to have lifeguards at their family pools.