Disneyland Vacation Planning Guide
Tips to help you book a Disneyland Vacation Package in California
If you're in a California state of mind and are planning a visit to Disneyland, there are a number of key options to consider before you go on your vacation.
First, forget the old adage that Disneyland can be done in a day. To fully enjoy the Disneyland Park and Disney California Adventure theme park, you should plan on a minimum of two full days, preferably three (or more), in Anaheim.
Next, plan your budget. In addition to your hotel, you'll need to factor in theme park admission, meals and transportation. If you plan on adding a visit to other Southern California destinations, this will also impact your vacation budget.
Another key factor in planning your vacation is the time of year you choose to go. Disneyland divides the year into three travel seasons. Budget wise, Value season is the best time to go and is usually when you'll find discounts available. However, Value season often interferes with school calendars. (This is also the most likely time of year for attractions to undergo refurbishment and the park hours to be shorter.) Throughout the year, there are special events that you may not want to miss.
Now that you have a price in mind and the time of year you'd like to visit, let's go about matching it to your "Disney Dream."
If you want to be in the "middle of the magic" during your vacation, the three Disneyland Hotels puts you there. Whether you choose the Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa, Disneyland Hotel or Disney's Paradise Pier, you'll not only be within walking distance of the Disney theme parks and Downtown Disney, you'll also be able to take advantage of exclusive amenities for guests who stay at a Disney owned hotel. These are:
- Access to Child Care in Pinocchio's Workshop at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa
- Exclusive entrance to the California Adventure theme park (Grand Californian hotel guests)
- Charging your meals and merchandise to your room account
- Package delivery of park purchases
- Complimentary self parking
If staying at a Disney owned hotel isn't realistic, there are endless choices through Disney's "Good Neighbor Hotel" package. These hotels are recommended by Disney and offer Economy, Moderate, Superior and Suite accommodations. The amenities offered vary greatly. Some of the hotels have basic facilities, some offer free breakfast, some have free shuttle service, etc. Compare your budget to the hotel descriptions and you can easily decide which hotel gives you the most "bang for your buck."
Before thinking that the better value is planning your trip "a la carte", there's a lot to be said for a Disneyland vacation package. Besides the convenience, you'll find them to be competitive and to include amenities that will enhance your stay:
Package for guests staying at the three Disney owned hotels. Minimum 2 night, 2 day Park Hopper. Includes Magic Morning on select days, admission to Mickey's Toontown Morning Madness, preferred seating at a Disney California Adventure show, souvenirs, Downtown Disney District Fun Card, etc.
Same features as the Disneyland Resort Package for guests staying at a Disney Good Neighbor hotel.
This Package requires a minimum 3 night stay at a Disneyland or Good Neighbor hotel (with the benefits mentioned above) and a minimum of 2 nights at your choice of a Beach, Hollywood or San Diego hotel. A great add-on to this package is the Southern California City Pass.
Room Only Discounts - If a package deal doesn't interest you, you may be able to get a room discount if you fall into the following categories: Annual Passholder, Military, Senior, Disney Visa, Hotel Rewards member, AAA member. (The latter gives you a discount at select Disney restaurants.) These are only available at the Disney owned hotels.
Ticket Discounts - The best advice, order your tickets in advance since the prices at the gate are the highest. Review the options in the link. You might be surprised to see that you qualify for a reduced rate either by a membership or where you reside.
Details, details, details...
We covered all of the basics when it comes to planning a Disneyland vacation. The next step is knowing in advance what to expect when you arrive. This is where using a Disney Travel specialist could be invaluable. While being spontaneous is fine, it's not so great when you're shut out of restaurants or missed a show because you were in the wrong place. Of course, we recommend Dreams Unlimited Travel. Our Disneyland pros know how to make your vacation magical.
- Blog - Disneyland Weekly Update - 09/01/14
- Blog - The Good and Bad of "Toy Story of TERROR!" on Blu-ray
- Legends of Frontierland extended at Disneyland Park - Legends of Frontierland, the interactive experience at Disneyland Park, has been extended past the previously announced September 1st end date.
- VIDEO - Frozen Fireworks Multi-Angle Full Show - “Frozen” Fireworks Spectacular – Everything wraps up at 9:45 p.m. when Anna, Elsa, Kristoff, and Olaf come together at the Sorcerer’s Hat Icon Stage for a grand finale to the day’s festivities, kicking off an awe-inspiring fireworks display set to the glorious music of “Frozen!”
- Magic Mountain announces Twisted Colossus - Southern California's Six Flags Magic Mountain announced that they are transforming their classic wooden coaster into a record-breaking wooden/steel hybrid.
- Disneyland adds Frozen pre-parade to Mickey's Halloween Party - The stars of Frozen will appear on their special pre-parade float prior to each Mickey's Costume Party cavalcade.
- Blog - Disneyland Good Neighbor Hotel - Cortona Inn & Suites
- Blog - Disneyland Weekly Update - 08/25/14
- Mickey's Halloween Party tickets sold out for 10/03/14 - Tickets for the 10/03/14 date for Mickey's Halloween Party at Disneyland are sold out. Other dates are still available.
- Blog - Beyond Aulani
- Blog - New Tour Review: The Disney California Story
- VIDEO: What's New at Aulani - Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa has many new offerings. Quick service at Ulu Cafe, kids splash zone at Keiki Cove, two new pools, and much more.
- Elsa & Anna's Boutique coming to Disneyland - Studio Disney 365 in Disneyland's Downtown Disney will be closing August 25th to make way for Elsa & Anna's Boutique.
- Blog - Disneyland Weekly Update - 08/18/14
- Blog - The Good and Bad of the "Muppets Most Wanted" Blu-ray
- Disneyland Good Neighbor Hotel Fall Discount Offer - Book a 3-night Disneyland Resort Package at a Good Neighbor Hotel for as little as $89 per person per night.
- Blog - Disneyland Good Neighbor Hotel - Camelot Inn
- D23 Expo 2015 tickets are now on sale - Tickets for next year's D23 Expo are now on sale. The D23 Expo will be held August 14-16, 2015 at the Anaheim Convention Center.
- Blog - Disneyland Weekly Update - 08/11/14
- Military resource support group launches for Disney cast members
The group launched at both Disneyland and Walt Disney World.
- Eight new "Disney Family of Wines" come to California Adventure
The wineries represented all have a personal connection to the Disney name.
- Small fire at Disneyland quickly extinguished
The fire was in a backstage area.
- runDisney announces Disneyland Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend
The event will take place January 15-18, 2015 at the Disneyland Resort.
- Disneyland Raises Ticket Prices Overnight
The Disneyland Resort raised prices on their tickets and annual passes overnight.