Disneyland Vacation Planning Guide
Tips to help you book a Disneyland Vacation Package in California
If you're in a California state of mind and are planning a visit to Disneyland, there are a number of key options to consider before you go on your vacation.
First, forget the old adage that Disneyland can be done in a day. To fully enjoy the Disneyland Park and Disney California Adventure theme park, you should plan on a minimum of two full days, preferably three (or more), in Anaheim.
Next, plan your budget. In addition to your hotel, you'll need to factor in theme park admission, meals and transportation. If you plan on adding a visit to other Southern California destinations, this will also impact your vacation budget.
Another key factor in planning your vacation is the time of year you choose to go. Disneyland divides the year into three travel seasons. Budget wise, Value season is the best time to go and is usually when you'll find discounts available. However, Value season often interferes with school calendars. (This is also the most likely time of year for attractions to undergo refurbishment and the park hours to be shorter.) Throughout the year, there are special events that you may not want to miss.
Now that you have a price in mind and the time of year you'd like to visit, let's go about matching it to your "Disney Dream."
If you want to be in the "middle of the magic" during your vacation, the three Disneyland Hotels puts you there. Whether you choose the Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa, Disneyland Hotel or Disney's Paradise Pier, you'll not only be within walking distance of the Disney theme parks and Downtown Disney, you'll also be able to take advantage of exclusive amenities for guests who stay at a Disney owned hotel. These are:
- Access to Child Care in Pinocchio's Workshop at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa
- Exclusive entrance to the California Adventure theme park (Grand Californian hotel guests)
- Charging your meals and merchandise to your room account
- Package delivery of park purchases
- Complimentary self parking
If staying at a Disney owned hotel isn't realistic, there are endless choices through Disney's "Good Neighbor Hotel" package. These hotels are recommended by Disney and offer Economy, Moderate, Superior and Suite accommodations. The amenities offered vary greatly. Some of the hotels have basic facilities, some offer free breakfast, some have free shuttle service, etc. Compare your budget to the hotel descriptions and you can easily decide which hotel gives you the most "bang for your buck."
Before thinking that the better value is planning your trip "a la carte", there's a lot to be said for a Disneyland vacation package. Besides the convenience, you'll find them to be competitive and to include amenities that will enhance your stay:
Package for guests staying at the three Disney owned hotels. Minimum 2 night, 2 day Park Hopper. Includes Magic Morning on select days, admission to Mickey's Toontown Morning Madness, preferred seating at a Disney California Adventure show, souvenirs, Downtown Disney District Fun Card, etc.
Same features as the Disneyland Resort Package for guests staying at a Disney Good Neighbor hotel.
This Package requires a minimum 3 night stay at a Disneyland or Good Neighbor hotel (with the benefits mentioned above) and a minimum of 2 nights at your choice of a Beach, Hollywood or San Diego hotel. A great add-on to this package is the Southern California City Pass.
Room Only Discounts - If a package deal doesn't interest you, you may be able to get a room discount if you fall into the following categories: Annual Passholder, Military, Senior, Disney Visa, Hotel Rewards member, AAA member. (The latter gives you a discount at select Disney restaurants.) These are only available at the Disney owned hotels.
Ticket Discounts - The best advice, order your tickets in advance since the prices at the gate are the highest. Review the options in the link. You might be surprised to see that you qualify for a reduced rate either by a membership or where you reside.
Details, details, details...
We covered all of the basics when it comes to planning a Disneyland vacation. The next step is knowing in advance what to expect when you arrive. This is where using a Disney Travel specialist could be invaluable. While being spontaneous is fine, it's not so great when you're shut out of restaurants or missed a show because you were in the wrong place. Of course, we recommend Dreams Unlimited Travel. Our Disneyland pros know how to make your vacation magical.
- VIDEO: Disney Beyond The Parks - Producing the Aulani Live Show - Visit http://www.wdwinfo.com/beyondtheparks/#hawaii to view the full DIS Unplugged show from Aulani in Hawaii. For the latest updates on our trip to Aulani and Hawaii, visit http://new.livestream.com/TheDIS/aulani Join the DIS Team as we explore Disney beyond the parks, starting with Aulani, a Disney Resort and Spa in Hawaii!
- Southern California CityPass price increase June 3rd - Beginning June 3rd, the price for the Southern California CityPass will increase. Adults will be $319, children will be $279. Attractions will remain the same. Passes purchased prior to June 3rd are valid through January 4th.
- Follow along as the DIS goes... Beyond The Parks!! - Members of the DIS Unplugged podcast team are headed to Disney's Aulani Resort, sailing on an Alaskan Disney cruise and taking an Adventures by Disney Backstage Magic trip!
- Blog - Help! A Walt Disney World Vet’s First Time at Disneyland – Part 5
- Watch our live broadcast from Disney's Aulani Resort - Tue. May 21 at 8pm EDT - Disney... Beyond The Parks! Come with us as we visit Disney's Aulani Resort, sail on an Alaskan Disney cruise, and take an Adventures By Disney trip! We're kicking off the trip with a live broadcast from Disney's Aulani Resort - Tue. May 21, 2013 8:00pm EDT.
- HalloweenTime at Disneyland begins September 13! - HalloweenTime at the Disneyland Resort, including Haunted Mansion Holiday and Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy, begins September 13, 2013. Mickey's Halloween Party begins September 30, 2013.
- Swing dancing returns to Disneyland Park beginning June 15th - Swing Dancing returns to the former Carnation Plaza Gardens (now Fantasy Faire) stage on a limited basis beginning June 15th!
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Disneyland - Rivers of America - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Disneyland.
- 2014 dates chosen for DIS-exclusive Backstage Magic trips - Three dates have been selected for 2014 Adventures by Disney Backstage Magic trips with members of the DIS Unplugged podcast team!
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Disneyland - Indiana Jones Queue - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Disneyland.
- Woody's All-American Roundup at Disneyland this Summer - Beginning June 14th, Sheriff Woody will be bringing his Talent Roundup to the stage at the Big Thunder Ranch Jamboree. Woody and Jessie will be entertaining guests with their lasso skills and slingshot tricks, plus greeting guests along with Mickey and Minnie.
- Limited Time Magic: Disneyland Passholder Animation Academy - Annual Passholders are invited to learn to draw a classic Disney character and hear behind-the scenes stores from Disney Animator Eric Goldberg. The event will be held at 3pm, 4pm, 5pm and 6pm in the Disney Animation building at Disney California Adventure. Passholders must register in person the day of the event.
- WonderGround Gallery to host Cocktail Party for Hipster Collection - In celebration of the new "Happiest Hipster on Earth" collection, Disneyland Resort's WonderGround Gallery will be hosting a Cocktail Reception featuring an artist signing opportunity with Jerrod Maruyama. Tickets go on sale May 21st.
- New Disneyland restaurant reservation policy delayed indefinitely! - The new Disneyland Resort policy requiring a credit card for reservations at Disney owned restaurants that was to go in effect soon has been delayed indefinitely.
- Disneyland's Magical fireworks now Glow with the Show - Disneyland's Summer Fireworks, Magical, now incorporates the Glow with the Show ears. Also on select days, guests wearing them can access a special viewing area.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Grand Californian Hotel - Lobby - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Disneyland.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Disneyland Hotel - Pool - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Disneyland.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Cars Land - Cozy Cone Motel - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Disneyland.
- Blog - New Disney Dooney & Bourke Release This Summer
- VIDEO: Memories of the Disneyland Resort Hotels - Visit http://www.wdwinfo.com/disneyland/ for more information on the Disneyland Resort.
- Blog - Help! A Walt Disney World Vet’s First Time at Disneyland – Part 4
- Blog - Disneyland 101 – Dining Strategies
- Calfornia adjusts safety citations and fines against Disneyland
California agency reduces violations and associated fines that came as a result of April 13th closure of three major attractions.
- Space Mountain reopens at Disneyland
After a safety-related closure, Space Mountain is back open.
- Disney contractor fined by Cal-OSHA
A Disney contractor was fined in relation to the incident in November where a worker fell from the roof of Space Mountain.
- Updated: 3 Major attractions suddenly closed at Disneyland
Several major attractions closed at the Disneyland Resort.
- No more free coffee refills on Disneyland's Main Street U.S.A.
Market House at Disneyland will not offer free coffee refills after it changes into a Starbucks this fall.