Calfornia adjusts safety citations and fines against Disneylandby Leah Zanolla
May 11, 2013
Last month, we reported on the sudden closing of three major attractions at Disneyland. Space Mountain, the Matterhorn Bobsleds and Soarin' Over California were all closed unexpectedly on April 13th after an investigation following a maintenance employee injury on Space Mountain. The California Division of Occupational Safety and Health (DOSH) cited Disneyland for numerous safety violations in backstage areas (not affecting guest safety). Disney appealed these violations. However, less than a month later, some of the citations have been withdrawn and fines have been reduced. When the six citations and related fines were announced, the penalties totaled $234,850, and included three “willful and serious” citations. Now, after apparent “settlement discussions” between DOSH and Disneyland, records indicate four total violations, with only one being labeled “willful and serious.” In addition, the total amount of fines is now listed as $82,025. The Los Angeles Times cites DOSH officer Ellen Widess as saying, “The citations were reevaluated and amended based on new information provided by Disney after the citations were previously issued.” All attractions have since reopened, with Disney saying they voluntarily kept Space Mountain close for nearly three weeks to “make safety improvements.”
- News Source
- Subscribe to receive DIS Updates and News by email!
- News Feed
- Last Updated: Oct 19, 2014 - 9:25:27 AM
Other Disneyland News Stories
- Club 33 members upset about more changes to benefits
Club 33 members are upset about increased annual dues and decreased benefits.
- New Anaheim transportation hub to open next month
A new Anaheim transportation hub is scheduled to open in early December.
- Last surviving child of Knott's founder dies
Marion Knott, youngest daughter of Knott's Berry Farm founders Walter and Cordelia Knott, passed away recently at age 92.
- Knott's Berry Farm announces new 4-D attraction
Knott's Berry Farm has announced Voyage of the Iron Reef, a new interactive ride set to open Spring 2015.
- Superheroes take over the inaugural Avengers half marathon
Runners dressed in costume for the inaugural running of the Avengers Superheroes Half Marathon this weekend in Anaheim.
DIS DISNEYLAND UPDATES
- Mother's Day offerings at the Disneyland Resort - Several locations throughout the Resort will offer special menu items on May 10th in honor of Mother's Day.
- VIDEO: Peter Pan's Flight Pre-2015 Refurb POV at Disneyland - This is one of Park's original 17 attractions.
- Five Things You Should Know Before Visiting Disneyland Paris
- Disney Myth buster: A Disney Vacation is Too Expensive - Let's break down the numbers and compare exactly how Disney stacks up against other common vacation destinations.
- What's in your Disney park bag?
- 5 Songs from Disney Films that are Works of Art - I feel these songs can stand on merit alone without the movies they are featured in.
- Blog - Judge fools all, banning Frozen from theme parks and agreeing with "Frozen is my life story" author
- Succumbing to the Charms of Hong Kong Disneyland - Not surprisingly, the park has many things in common with the other two "Magic Kingdom" style parks I have visited, and it also has many features that make it unique.
- Disneyland announces Diamond Celebration Merchandise Event - The Disneyland Resort has announced a merchandise event to take place May 20 and 21, just before the Diamond Celebration kicks off.
- Save up to 20% on Premium Rooms at the Disneyland Resort - Save up to 20% on Premium rooms at the hotels of the Disneyland Resort select weeknights this Spring.
- Spring Time Roundup 2015 at Big Thunder Ranch - Check out Spring Time Roundup at Big Thunder Ranch where you can meet the Easter Bunny, Mickey and Minnie in their finest Spring outfits and Disney rabbits including bunny Pluto!
See AllDL DISCUSSIONS