"Golden Mickeys", a "Disneyfied" version of Academy Awards, is held in the Walt Disney Theater on deck 4 just fore of midship. It combines live-action theatre with film, video, music and pyrotechnics in a memorable salute to Walt Disney and his legacy of classic animated films.
Prior to the performance, the hallway between the two shipboard shops, Mickey's Mates and Treasure Ketch, is outfitted with a red carpet and banners. There's no mistaking that a special event is about to take place. A velvet rope is set up in the seating area by Walt's portrait. Behind this cordoned off area is a video camera.
An announcement is made that "Rona Rivers", famed red carpet Hostess, will be interviewing guests as they arrive for the show.
A beautiful woman in a gold evening gown arrives and begins her sound and camera checks. A display of the awards to be presented is set up behind her.
As the special guests (passengers) arrive, Rona selects a few to interview. Each is asked what "designer" line they are wearing, who's their favorite Disney character and other "red carpet" questions. While this is fun to watch in person, you can see these interviews as they're broadcast inside the theater.
Once the "Golden Mickey's" stage show begins, its 60 fun minutes of live song and dance combined with filmed segments. There's a bit of romance, comedy, Disney heroics and of course, some of those villains who we love to hate. Disney has taken into account that while there is always an audience for the classics, there is a younger crowd that is familiar with more modern Disney fare. Songs from the Hunchback of Notre Dame, Pocahontas, Mulan, the Little Mermaid and Toy Story are interspersed with those from Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, 101 Dalmatians and Lady and the Tramp.
The show is hosted by a reluctant "Ensign Benson" who finds herself in the unexpected role of emcee. It follows the age old show biz tale of the star unable to perform with the understudy stepping into and shining in her role.
Truly a show for "children of all ages", Golden Mickeys should not to be missed.
- Disney Cruise Line offers discounted rates - These rates come out once a month and must be booked before the deadline.
- Disney Cruise Line changes policy on power strips and extension cords in staterooms - These items are no longer allowed to be brought on board, but may be borrowed from Guest Services.
- Disney Cruise Line adds military discount - There is a newly added discount for the 4-night Bahamian sailing on 3/10/14.
- Disney Cruise Line takes top honors from Cruise Critic members
Disney Cruise Line received 13 first-place awards.
- Disney Cruise Line tops Conde Nast 2014 Readers Poll
Disney Cruise Line takes 4 of the top 5 spots.
- Disney Cruise Line to dock in the British Virgin Islands in 2015
Disney Cruise Line signed a berthing agreement with the British Virgin Islands.
- Disney Magic makes u-turn back to Miami
On Friday, November 8, the Disney Magic returned to Port Miami to pick up "critical technical supplies."
- Lifeguards now stationed at family pools on Disney Cruise Line
Disney Cruise Line becomes the first major cruise line to have lifeguards at their family pools.