"Golden Mickeys", a "Disneyfied" version of Academy Awards, is held in the Walt Disney Theater on deck 4 just fore of midship. It combines live-action theatre with film, video, music and pyrotechnics in a memorable salute to Walt Disney and his legacy of classic animated films.
Prior to the performance, the hallway between the two shipboard shops, Mickey's Mates and Treasure Ketch, is outfitted with a red carpet and banners. There's no mistaking that a special event is about to take place. A velvet rope is set up in the seating area by Walt's portrait. Behind this cordoned off area is a video camera.
An announcement is made that "Rona Rivers", famed red carpet Hostess, will be interviewing guests as they arrive for the show.
A beautiful woman in a gold evening gown arrives and begins her sound and camera checks. A display of the awards to be presented is set up behind her.
As the special guests (passengers) arrive, Rona selects a few to interview. Each is asked what "designer" line they are wearing, who's their favorite Disney character and other "red carpet" questions. While this is fun to watch in person, you can see these interviews as they're broadcast inside the theater.
Once the "Golden Mickey's" stage show begins, its 60 fun minutes of live song and dance combined with filmed segments. There's a bit of romance, comedy, Disney heroics and of course, some of those villains who we love to hate. Disney has taken into account that while there is always an audience for the classics, there is a younger crowd that is familiar with more modern Disney fare. Songs from the Hunchback of Notre Dame, Pocahontas, Mulan, the Little Mermaid and Toy Story are interspersed with those from Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, 101 Dalmatians and Lady and the Tramp.
The show is hosted by a reluctant "Ensign Benson" who finds herself in the unexpected role of emcee. It follows the age old show biz tale of the star unable to perform with the understudy stepping into and shining in her role.
Truly a show for "children of all ages", Golden Mickeys should not to be missed.
- Disney Cruise Line releases discounted sailings - These discounted rates can all be combined with Dreams Unlimited Travel's exclusive shipboard credits.
- Discount available for pre- and post-night stays at Aulani with a Disney Cruise Line Hawaiian cruise - Sail on the Disney Wonder to Hawaii in 2015 and get a 25% discount at Aulani, plus free breakfast.
- Blog - The Perfect Time to Cruise: Choosing to Cruise Even When Life Gets in the Way
- Disney Cruise Line offers discounted rates for the U.S. Military - Disney Cruise Line's Military discounts are available for all branches of active and retired members (or spouse) of the Military.
- Florida residents can sail for as little as $90 per night! - These Florida Resident discounts come and go quickly and must be booked by 8/31/2014.
- 5 Elements from the Disney Parks that You'll Find on a Disney Cruise Ship - You have been to the Disney Parks, and you love them. You keep going back for that pixie-dust rush. You can’t imagine a vacation apart from Disney Parks, yet somehow the “old and familiar” is getting a bit old and familiar. This is where the Disney Cruise Line enters. It’s a Disney vacation of a different variety. The dissimilarities are a bit obvious. You’re on a ship in the ocean, visiting foreign places. This is nothing like being landlocked in a park, surrounded by coasters and kiosks. So what can you expect from the Disney Parks to carry over to your cruise?
- Blog - Beyond Aulani
- 20% off on select cruises for Canadian residents - Discount is available on several 7 and 5 night Western Caribbean cruises.
- D23 Expo 2015 tickets are now on sale - Tickets for next year's D23 Expo are now on sale. The D23 Expo will be held August 14-16, 2015 at the Anaheim Convention Center.
- Win a 2 Night / 3 Day stay at the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin! - Answer 3 questions about the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin on our contest page for a chance to WIN!
- Florida residents can save on Disney Cruise Line - Set sail for as little as $120 per night.
- What does it take to decorate for the holidays on Disney Cruise Line? - Very Merrytime Cruises are scheduled for the holiday season.
- Disney Cruise Line honored by Bon Voyage digital magazine
Disney Cruise Line took top honors in several categories.
- Disney Cruise Line and Aulani honored by Travel + Leisure
Results are part of the World's Best Awards 2014.
- Disney Cruise Line releases remainder of 2015 schedule
Sail dates for the remainder of 2015 have been announced.
- Disney Wonder to return to Hawaii in 2015?
Itineraries aren't released yet, but a suspicious entry on the Hawaii port calendars is fueling the rumors.
- runDisney announces Inaugural Disney Castaway Cay Challenge
Runners must complete an event at the Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend, as well as the Castaway 5K.