"Golden Mickeys", a "Disneyfied" version of Academy Awards, is held in the Walt Disney Theater on deck 4 just fore of midship. It combines live-action theatre with film, video, music and pyrotechnics in a memorable salute to Walt Disney and his legacy of classic animated films.
Prior to the performance, the hallway between the two shipboard shops, Mickey's Mates and Treasure Ketch, is outfitted with a red carpet and banners. There's no mistaking that a special event is about to take place. A velvet rope is set up in the seating area by Walt's portrait. Behind this cordoned off area is a video camera.
An announcement is made that "Rona Rivers", famed red carpet Hostess, will be interviewing guests as they arrive for the show.
A beautiful woman in a gold evening gown arrives and begins her sound and camera checks. A display of the awards to be presented is set up behind her.
As the special guests (passengers) arrive, Rona selects a few to interview. Each is asked what "designer" line they are wearing, who's their favorite Disney character and other "red carpet" questions. While this is fun to watch in person, you can see these interviews as they're broadcast inside the theater.
Once the "Golden Mickey's" stage show begins, its 60 fun minutes of live song and dance combined with filmed segments. There's a bit of romance, comedy, Disney heroics and of course, some of those villains who we love to hate. Disney has taken into account that while there is always an audience for the classics, there is a younger crowd that is familiar with more modern Disney fare. Songs from the Hunchback of Notre Dame, Pocahontas, Mulan, the Little Mermaid and Toy Story are interspersed with those from Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, 101 Dalmatians and Lady and the Tramp.
The show is hosted by a reluctant "Ensign Benson" who finds herself in the unexpected role of emcee. It follows the age old show biz tale of the star unable to perform with the understudy stepping into and shining in her role.
Truly a show for "children of all ages", Golden Mickeys should not to be missed.
- Onboard booking on Disney Cruise Line now valid for 24 months - Previously, any cruise booked onboard had to be taken within 18 months.
- Booking for 2016 Disney Cruises begins today for Platinum and Gold Castaway Club members - Disney Cruise Line has announced that they will be sailing to two new destinations in 2016 - Tortola, British Virgin Islands and Martinique.
- Disney Cruise Line announces 2 new Caribbean ports for 2016! - Disney Cruise Line has added stops in Tortola, British Virgin Islands and Martinique for 2016.
- Disney Cruise Line discounts available for members of the U.S. military - Disney Cruise Line's Military discounts are available for all branches of active and retired members (or spouse) of the Military.
- Disney Cruise Line offers Florida resident discounts - Sail for as little as $90 per night.
- 5 Tips for an Easy Debarkation Process on your Disney Cruise - You've had a wonderful vacation and are about to re-enter the real world. How can you make that transition as easy as possible?
- Top 5 Irritating Things You May Encounter On Your Disney Cruise - If you see them coming, it is easier to prepare and just keep swimming. So to help inform, here are the top 5 things that might rock your boat.
- Disney Cruise Line Fish Extender Basics - Let's talk about some Fish Extender basics, including what they are and how you can participate.
- Chat feature added to Disney Cruise Line Navigator app - Guests will be able to connect with other guests onboard the ship via the app.
- 6 Tips for a Smooth Embarkation Day on Your Disney Cruise - One of the most exciting days on a Disney Cruise is embarkation day. You're filled with a nervous anticipation, yet looking forward to a fun and relaxing vacation. I'm going to share 6 tips to make your embarkation day go as smoothly as possible.
- Discounted cruises offered for U.S. Military - Disney Cruise Line's Military discounts are available for all branches of active and retired members (or spouse) of the Military.
- Florida residents can sail for as little as $90 per night! - These Florida Resident discounts come and go quickly and must be booked by 10/19/2014.
- Cruising With Special Dietary Needs Onboard the Disney Cruise Line - Living with a dietary restriction can feel like prison. Challenged families often find themselves excluded from activities when food is involved. When they are included, the difficulty to accommodate the condition may not seem worth the effort. I know. Iíve walked in these shoes...
- New policy in effect for Chill Spa on Disney Cruise Line - A parent or guardian must be present for the duration of all Chill Spa treatments.
- Disney Cruise Line releases discounted sailings - These rates can all be combined with Dreams Unlimited Travel's exclusive shipboard credits.
- Changes made to Disney Cruise Line Terms and Conditions regarding cancellations - The changes only affect cruises booked after October 1, 2014.
- Disney Cruise Line releases discounted sailings for U.S. Military - Disney Cruise Line's Military discounts are available for all branches of active and retired members (or spouse) of the Military.
- Florida resident discounts available on Disney Cruise Line - Sail for as little as $100 per night.
- Disney Visa extends $50 Disney Cruise Line oboard credit offer; now only available on beverages - Get a $50 Shipboard beverage credit by using your Disney Visa when booking your cruise.
- Top 5 Not-So-Obvious Things To Pack For Your Disney Cruise - It is entirely possible that you have overlooked a few items that would come in very handy during your cruise. It's not that you can't survive without these. It's that the convenience of them is worthwhile, so here are our top 5 not-so-obvious items that we feel should make their way into your luggage.
- Members of the U.S. Military can sail for as little as $100 per night - Disney Cruise Line's Military discounts are available for all branches of active and retired members (or spouse) of the Military.
- Disney Cruise Line changes rules about decorating stateroom doors - Magnetic signs advertising company names other than Disney may not be used.
- Last Minute Cruising - A Crash Course - Whatever the reason, you have decided to go on a Disney cruise, but you have minimal time before embarkation day. How do you prepare for such a big deal with such little time? Where do you even begin? Letís walk through the most basic steps to get you on that ship.
- Blog - Looking for something to do before your cruise? Visit the Exploration Tower at Port Canaveral
- Disney Cruise Line releases sail dates for early 2016
Two new Caribbean ports have been added.
- Disney Cruise Line honored by Bon Voyage digital magazine
Disney Cruise Line took top honors in several categories.
- Disney Cruise Line and Aulani honored by Travel + Leisure
Results are part of the World's Best Awards 2014.
- Disney Cruise Line releases remainder of 2015 schedule
Sail dates for the remainder of 2015 have been announced.
- Disney Wonder to return to Hawaii in 2015?
Itineraries aren't released yet, but a suspicious entry on the Hawaii port calendars is fueling the rumors.