Who Wants to be a Millionaire-Play It!
Another one bites the dust. After 5 short years, “Who wants to be a Millionaire, Play It!” at Disney’s Hollywood studios is closing on August 19, '06.
This attraction is based on the wildly popular TV game show “Who wants to be a Millionaire" which premiered in August of ’99. The Hollywood Studios version opened on April 6, 2001 with Regis Philbin doing the honors at the ribbon cutting.
You had to hand it to the Disney Imagineers, they found an ingenuous way of keeping guests from making a mass exodus if they didn’t make it into the Hot Seat. Everyone has a keypad and having the “fastest finger” means you could be the next contestant.
Who wants to be a Millionaire – Play It! bears a strong resemblance to the TV show. The dramatic music and stage are virtual duplicates. The hosts are just a “little bit” enthusiastic. Picture Regis 30 year’s younger running onstage after drinking 43 gallons of black coffee and you get the idea. You have to wonder how anyone can be that perky doing the same show over and over, day in and day out.
There’s “Ask the Audience”, “50/50" and a cute twist on the “call a friend.” If you use that lifeline, you’re calling a complete stranger on Mickey Avenue. With the top prize being a Disney Cruise, there’s a lot at stake.
Think it’s easy? Sure, while the person in the Hot Seat is sweating, you’re snickering from the audience because you know the answer. Just get under the glare of the lights with everyone looking at you and see what happens. I don't like to name names, but I was there when a certain webmaster whose intials are Pete Werner found out the hard way that a lavatory is not in your attic. (Note to self: never visit Pete's attic, ever.)
Considering that this is a “Fast Pass” attraction, its closure comes as a surprise. I’ve never seen it without a full audience and the annual tapings of the TV show at Hollywood Studios always drew a large crowd.
It’s always sad to see an attraction close, but such is Disney. Millionaire joins Superstar Television which has yet to be replaced. Maybe these audience participation shows don’t meet expectations? Who knows, but for fans of the attraction, August 19 will be a day tinged with sadness.
- Fantasia Miniature Golf Course rehab planned off and on for the next two weeks - Gardens Course closed 7/22-7/25/2014, 7/28-8/1/2014, 8/4-8/8/2014. The Fairways will still be open.
- Blog - I Can Go The Distance: Deciding is one thing, registering is another
- Save up to 30% on a Room Only reservation at Walt Disney World! - Valid for stays most nights 10/4/14 - 11/25/14 and 11/29/14 - 12/23/14.
- 2015 WDW hotel discount released for U.S. Military - Valid for stays most nights 9/28/14 - 10/3/15.
- All 3 remaining weekends sold out for Harambe Nights - July 26, August 2 and August 9 are sold out.
- Annual passholder discount for Spice Road Table - Through 9/17/14, Annual Passholders can get a 30% discount on their bill.
- 2015 Military Ticket Discount info released - Members of the military can purchase 4-day Magic Your Way tickets with Park Hopper option for $177 each.
- Changes to reservation times for Wishes Dessert Party - Reservations are all being set for 6:00pm, no matter when Wishes is taking place. The dessert party will actually take place one hour before Wishes.
- Frozen Summer Fun Premium package is sold out for all remaining dates - This package gives guests at Frozen Summer Fun Live reserved viewing for several events.
- Wild by Design tour to be discontinued after 9/26/14 - This tour takes place at Disney's Animal Kingdom.
- Fantasy Football Convention coming to ESPN Wide World of Sports - The convention will give attendees access to ESPN talent, a live fantasy football draft and more.
- Blog - Sneak Preview of What's Coming to the 2014 Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
- Dates and pricing released for ICE! at Gaylord Palms - Using two million pounds of ice, this Gaylord Palms Resort special ticket exhibit will be transformed into the North Pole.
- Blog - Disney's Magical Express Age Limit Changes: A Parent's & Teacher's Perspective
- Blog - Five Reasons Why We're Not Seeing "Planes: Fire & Rescue" in Theaters
- Blog updated - I Just Spent $20 on FastPasses! Would You? - The author has taken the tour she discussed in the blog - check out her thoughts to see if she would do this again!
- Blog - July 2014 Magic Kingdom Construction Update
- Information for Food & Wine Festival special dining experiences - book 7/31 - Premium events will be announced July 24 and can be booked on July 31 beginning at 7:00am EST. To book, call 407-WDW-FEST (939-3378).
- Princess Half Marathon fills in less than 24 hours - The Princess Half Marathon, the Princess Enchanted 10K and the Glass Slipper Challenge are sold out, filling less than 24 hours after registration opened.
- Dolphins at Epcot will be offstage through August 7 - Guests will not be able to see the dolphins at The Seas with Nemo & Friends. The Dolphins in Depth Tour will be unavailable during this time as well.
- Changes in parking due to Downtown Disney Remodel - Speeds in the area will be reduced, as well as lanes closed. Buena Vista Drive will be expanded to 10 lanes.
- Blog - Disney Responds to Disability Access Service Lawsuit
- Standby line to be cut off in Anna and Elsa meet and greet
- Disney's second quarter injury report: 12-year-old boy cuts fingers on Pirates ride
- 30 years in prison for man who molested girl at SeaWorld
- Possible agreement reached between Disney and unions
- Disney's CEO Bob Iger honored as CEO of the Year by Chief Executive magazine
- Trattoria al Forno to replace Cat Cora's Kouzzina at Disney World
- Technical glitch causes Universal's Transformers ride to stall
- Report: Monorail evacuated after lightning strike
- Military resource support group launches for Disney cast members
- Magic Kingdom guest got tips of fingers cut off on Pirates of the Caribbean
Today's Theme Park Hours
Epcot Future World:
Epcot World Showcase:
|9:00 - 1:00
9:00 - 9:00
11:00 - 9:00
9:00 - 10:00
9:00 - 8:00
9:00 - 8:00
9:00 - 8:00
Extra Magic Hours Morning: Animal Kingdom