Who Wants to be a Millionaire-Play It!
Another one bites the dust. After 5 short years, “Who wants to be a Millionaire, Play It!” at Disney’s Hollywood studios is closing on August 19, '06.
This attraction is based on the wildly popular TV game show “Who wants to be a Millionaire" which premiered in August of ’99. The Hollywood Studios version opened on April 6, 2001 with Regis Philbin doing the honors at the ribbon cutting.
You had to hand it to the Disney Imagineers, they found an ingenuous way of keeping guests from making a mass exodus if they didn’t make it into the Hot Seat. Everyone has a keypad and having the “fastest finger” means you could be the next contestant.
Who wants to be a Millionaire – Play It! bears a strong resemblance to the TV show. The dramatic music and stage are virtual duplicates. The hosts are just a “little bit” enthusiastic. Picture Regis 30 year’s younger running onstage after drinking 43 gallons of black coffee and you get the idea. You have to wonder how anyone can be that perky doing the same show over and over, day in and day out.
There’s “Ask the Audience”, “50/50" and a cute twist on the “call a friend.” If you use that lifeline, you’re calling a complete stranger on Mickey Avenue. With the top prize being a Disney Cruise, there’s a lot at stake.
Think it’s easy? Sure, while the person in the Hot Seat is sweating, you’re snickering from the audience because you know the answer. Just get under the glare of the lights with everyone looking at you and see what happens. I don't like to name names, but I was there when a certain webmaster whose intials are Pete Werner found out the hard way that a lavatory is not in your attic. (Note to self: never visit Pete's attic, ever.)
Considering that this is a “Fast Pass” attraction, its closure comes as a surprise. I’ve never seen it without a full audience and the annual tapings of the TV show at Hollywood Studios always drew a large crowd.
It’s always sad to see an attraction close, but such is Disney. Millionaire joins Superstar Television which has yet to be replaced. Maybe these audience participation shows don’t meet expectations? Who knows, but for fans of the attraction, August 19 will be a day tinged with sadness.
- Inaugural Disney Fit Challenge to be held in September - Competitions will include tests of power, speed, balance, strength and endurance.
- Blog - A Shopping Oasis: Merchandise at Disney's Flower & Garden Festival
- Pollo Campero at Downtown Disney will be closing 3/19/14 - Pollo Campero, Bodie's All-American Grill and Babycakes NYC will be closing 3/19/14. Babycakes NYC will still be providing gluten-free items to select Walt Disney World food courts and restaurants.
- Blog - 2014 Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival opens in Epcot
- Registration for the Wine & Dine Half Marathon opens today - This race is held in conjunction with the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival.
- Blog - Haunted Mansion Merchandise Materializes in Disney Parks
- New dates for D23's Destination D - The event will be held November 22-23, 2014.
- 2015 Walt Disney World Marathon dates - Registration for the 2015 marathon begins 4/22/14.
- Blog - A Brit's Perspective - Changing of the Seasons at the Orlando theme parks
- Rebel Rendezvous merchandise event planned for Star Wars Weekends - Attendees will receive exclusive access to Darth's Mall a day before it opens to the public.
- Blog - A February Stroll through the Magic Kingdom
- Walt Disney World restaurants add Braille menus - Beginning March 1, select restaurants will be adding Braille menus, though a list of participating restaurants is not yet available. The Braille menus will have examples of the menu items but may not list all the short term or temporary items.
- Family Ticket offer - get one free day! - Get one FREE additional day on each ticket when you buy 6 or more 4-day or longer Magic Your Way tickets!
- Blog - Disney's Polynesian Resort is Changing in a Big Way
- Just announced! Festival of Fantasy parade will debut March 9! - This parade will run daily in the afternoons at the Magic Kingdom.
- Celebrate Earth Day at Disney's Animal Kingdom - The park is also celebrating the release of Disneynature's newest film Bears, which hits theaters April 18.
- Car Masters Weekend to be held at Downtown Disney - This event takes place June 14-15.
- Walt Disney World ticket prices increase - Ticket prices have gone up effective today, Sunday, February 23.
- Mighty St. Patrick's Day Festival planned for Downtown Disney - Downtown Disney celebrates St. Patrick's Day with live music, a step-by-step Irish jig workshop, classic Irish food and drink, Irish storytellers, Irish history and merchandise at Raglan Road's Shop.
- Star Wars Weekends - extra weekend added, plus Hyperspace Hoopla cancelled - A nightly fireworks show has been added instead of the Hyperspace Hoopla party.
- Major staff cuts at Disney Interactive
- Blackfish director denies receiving confidential information
- Hank Wiliams Jr. and Alabama to perform at SeaWorld
- Universal Orlando parking garage closed for suspicious vehicle
- SeaWorld calls for investigation of OSHA inspector
- Preview of food items for Wizarding World of Harry Potter expansion
- Disney announces theme parks will stay open for 24-hour party
- Magic Kingdom Hub Expansion Announced
- Disney Cruise Line takes top honors from Cruise Critic members
- Scotty McCreery and Steve Miller Band to perform at SeaWorld Orlando
Today's Theme Park Hours
Epcot Future World:
Epcot World Showcase:
|9:00 - 1:00
9:00 - 9:00
11:00 - 9:00
9:00 - 10:00
8:00 - 8:00
10:00 - 5:00
Extra Magic Hours Morning: Hollywood Studios