by Mary Jo Willey
Disneyland Travel Specialist
(Show began in 1992)
Fantasmic is shown nightly during peak season, and on weekends during non-peak season
When scheduled, the show times are typically 9:00pm and 10:30pm (2nd show during peak season). The show lasts approximately 20 minutes. (Check the Disneyland daily guide for current show times)
Fantasmic is a must see show but may be a little intense at times for smaller children. Performed on Tom Sawyer's Island, guests gather on the banks of the Rivers of America to view the show. If you arrive early seating is available on the ground near the water (you may get a little wet in this area), the remaining areas are for standing only. This show is so popular that people will begin finding viewing spots as early as 5-6pm for the 9pm show. You really don't have to wait that long to see it, however, it is a good idea to get there in plenty of time since it will be very crowded. If you have small children, it is a good idea to get the sitting area, or the first row of the standing area so your children will be able to see the show. Don't sit on the brick fences that line the walkways in that area because this is a walkway, even during the show and the Cast Members will ask you to move. Prime viewing areas would be the area in front of Pirates of the Caribbean, or on the bridge above it. If you are at the first show, try to get a spot where you can see the cable that goes from the Matterhorn past the castle. This area is great for watching the fireworks after the show.
Fantasmic is based on Mickey Mouse's imagination, and the fight of good against evil. There are over 50 live performers, plus film projected on three water mist screens (30-ft tall by 50-ft wide). Live action takes place on the island and on the water. Effects include pyrotechnics, fiber optics, lasers, strobe lighting, and a 45-foot fire-breathing dragon that lights the river on fire! The show begins with Annette Funicello's voice in a little introduction, then a single note starts off very subtle, slowly getting louder and louder until with a burst of music, fireworks, and Mickey's appearance the show begins. >From the beginning, guests are entertained by Disney characters - good and bad - until the final climactic scene against the dragon, and then the final exciting pyrotechnics show and characters finale on the Mark Twain Riverboat.
Waiting guests are entertained by a jazz band on a raft that floats back and forth along the river.
View of Tom Sawyer's Island and the area where Fantasmic is performed.
View from Tom Sawyer's Island, showing Fantasmic stage, and the area in Frontierland/New Orleans Square where guests watch the show.
View from Tom Sawyer's Island, showing the area in New Orleans Square where guests watch the show. In the background to the right is the Haunted Mansion.
Walkway by day, Fantasmic standing area by night
There are fewer guests at the second show, so you might want to watch that one instead. Make your way to Adventureland, or ride the Haunted Mansion or Splash Mountain/Winnie the Pooh during the first show and hang out in that area. When the show is over, make your way over to the viewing area as people from the first show leave.Guests who prefer a reserved seating area for Fantasmic can book the Fantasmic Premium Viewing option noted here:
FANTASMIC PREMIUM VIEWING (WITH DESSERT)
* Premium seating: $59 per adult (10+) / $49 per person (3-9) 2 and under are free provided they sit on your lap
To reserve your seats, contact your Travel Agent or call (714) 781-4400. Reservations can be made a month in advance and do book up quickly. Note that your reservation must be made on the same day the prior month. For instance, if the show is on December 10, you need to make a reservation on November 10. The Ticket office opens at 8:00AM, and you need to call right when it opens as these spots book quickly.You will be required to pay for this at the time of booking and tickets must be picked up on the day of the show at Guest Services, located to the left of the Disneyland Park entrance. Be sure to get your tickets before Guest Services closes.
View of premium seating area.
View with Haunted Mansion in the background. The lights for Fantasmic are hidden underground during the day, and are raised in the afternoon w/hydraulic lifts in preparation for the show.
View of the Fantasmic "stage area" from the Premium viewing area.
- Magical fireworks returns to Disneyland Park on 5/2 - Magical, Disneyland's fireworks show that features an appearance by Dumbo, returns for the summer beginning May 2nd.
- Happy 50th anniversary to it's a small world! - it's a small world opened at the New York World's Fair on April 22, 1964.
- Thinking about booking your trip with a travel agent? - Why it's important to book with a travel agent that specializes in Disney vacations.
- Knott's Berry Farm expands Camp Snoopy makeover - Knott's Berry Farm has expanded their makeover of Camp Snoopy to include a new Peanuts meet and greet, plus re-theming of Lucy's Tugboat and the Grand Sierra Scenic Railway.
- Blog - Disney Infinity Teases Marvel & Confirms Version 2.0
- Blog - New Lawsuit Attacks Disney’s New Disability Access Service
- Blog - Disneyland Good Neighbor Hotel - Stovall's Inn
- Disneyland Resort celebrates Musica Latina - Downtown Disney will come alive with the music of the Mariachi Divas and several other popular Latin acts April 5th and 6th.
- Save up to 20% at Disneyland Resort Hotels this Spring - Save up to 20% most Sunday through Thursday nights this Spring at the three hotels of the Disneyland Resort.
- Blog - Review: “Muppets Most Wanted” Now Touring Worldwide and in Theaters!
- Blog - Five Reasons You Should Go See 'Muppets Most Wanted' This Weekend
- Ghost Town Boysenberry Festival to highlight Knott's Berry Bloom - Knott's Berry Bloom returns to Knott's Berry Farm beginning April 12th. New this year is the Ghost Town Boysenberry Festival and the nighttime dance party, Bloomination.
- Blog - New Frozen Merchandise at Disney Parks
- VIDEO: Big Thunder Mountain Railroad POV at Disneyland with New Effects - After a 14-month long refurbishment, Disneyland's Big Thunder Mountain Railroad is open and better than ever before. The track has been replaced along with audio and lighting effects and some brand new special effects have been included in the first cave scene and the final lift.
- Blog - Review: Disney's 'Saving Mr. Banks' Now Available On Blu-ray, DVD, & Digital Download
- Blog - Review: "Frozen" Blu-ray Hits Shelves
- Dates announced for 2015 D23 Expo in Anaheim - The D23 Expo returns to the Anaheim Convention Center August 14 - 16, 2015. Tickets go on sale 08/14/14.
- Blog - Top 10 Reasons Why March 18th Is The Best Day Ever For Disney Fans
- Disneyland restaurants honored by food critics
Eight restaurants at the Disneyland Resort received awards.
- Smell of paint makes 4 Disneyland employees feel sick
Anaheim Fire and Rescue responded to the incident.
- 5.1 earthquake felt at Disneyland
The rides were closed for a brief period of time.
- Disneyland hotels honored for environmental efforts
The environmentalist certification was given by the California Green Lodging program.
- Bob Iger says Disneyland's Finding Nemo Submarines will not be replaced
Iger says changes are coming to Disneyland, but the submarines will stay put.