by Mary Jo Willey
Disneyland Travel Specialist
(Show began in 1992)
Fantasmic is shown nightly during peak season, and on weekends during non-peak season
When scheduled, the show times are typically 9:00pm and 10:30pm (2nd show during peak season). The show lasts approximately 20 minutes. (Check the Disneyland daily guide for current show times)
Fantasmic is a must see show but may be a little intense at times for smaller children. Performed on Tom Sawyer's Island, guests gather on the banks of the Rivers of America to view the show. If you arrive early seating is available on the ground near the water (you may get a little wet in this area), the remaining areas are for standing only. This show is so popular that people will begin finding viewing spots as early as 5-6pm for the 9pm show. You really don't have to wait that long to see it, however, it is a good idea to get there in plenty of time since it will be very crowded. If you have small children, it is a good idea to get the sitting area, or the first row of the standing area so your children will be able to see the show. Don't sit on the brick fences that line the walkways in that area because this is a walkway, even during the show and the Cast Members will ask you to move. Prime viewing areas would be the area in front of Pirates of the Caribbean, or on the bridge above it. If you are at the first show, try to get a spot where you can see the cable that goes from the Matterhorn past the castle. This area is great for watching the fireworks after the show.
Fantasmic is based on Mickey Mouse's imagination, and the fight of good against evil. There are over 50 live performers, plus film projected on three water mist screens (30-ft tall by 50-ft wide). Live action takes place on the island and on the water. Effects include pyrotechnics, fiber optics, lasers, strobe lighting, and a 45-foot fire-breathing dragon that lights the river on fire! The show begins with Annette Funicello's voice in a little introduction, then a single note starts off very subtle, slowly getting louder and louder until with a burst of music, fireworks, and Mickey's appearance the show begins. >From the beginning, guests are entertained by Disney characters - good and bad - until the final climactic scene against the dragon, and then the final exciting pyrotechnics show and characters finale on the Mark Twain Riverboat.
Waiting guests are entertained by a jazz band on a raft that floats back and forth along the river.
View of Tom Sawyer's Island and the area where Fantasmic is performed.
View from Tom Sawyer's Island, showing Fantasmic stage, and the area in Frontierland/New Orleans Square where guests watch the show.
View from Tom Sawyer's Island, showing the area in New Orleans Square where guests watch the show. In the background to the right is the Haunted Mansion.
Walkway by day, Fantasmic standing area by night
There are fewer guests at the second show, so you might want to watch that one instead. Make your way to Adventureland, or ride the Haunted Mansion or Splash Mountain/Winnie the Pooh during the first show and hang out in that area. When the show is over, make your way over to the viewing area as people from the first show leave.Guests who prefer a reserved seating area for Fantasmic can book the Fantasmic Premium Viewing option noted here:
FANTASMIC PREMIUM VIEWING (WITH DESSERT)
* Premium seating: $59 per adult (10+) / $49 per person (3-9) 2 and under are free provided they sit on your lap
To reserve your seats, contact your Travel Agent or call (714) 781-4400. Reservations can be made a month in advance and do book up quickly. Note that your reservation must be made on the same day the prior month. For instance, if the show is on December 10, you need to make a reservation on November 10. The Ticket office opens at 8:00AM, and you need to call right when it opens as these spots book quickly.You will be required to pay for this at the time of booking and tickets must be picked up on the day of the show at Guest Services, located to the left of the Disneyland Park entrance. Be sure to get your tickets before Guest Services closes.
View of premium seating area.
View with Haunted Mansion in the background. The lights for Fantasmic are hidden underground during the day, and are raised in the afternoon w/hydraulic lifts in preparation for the show.
View of the Fantasmic "stage area" from the Premium viewing area.
- Elsa & Anna's Boutique coming to Disneyland - Studio Disney 365 in Disneyland's Downtown Disney will be closing August 25th to make way for Elsa & Anna's Boutique.
- Blog - Disneyland Weekly Update - 08/18/14
- Blog - The Good and Bad of the "Muppets Most Wanted" Blu-ray
- Disneyland Good Neighbor Hotel Fall Discount Offer - Book a 3-night Disneyland Resort Package at a Good Neighbor Hotel for as little as $89 per person per night.
- Blog - Disneyland Good Neighbor Hotel - Camelot Inn
- D23 Expo 2015 tickets are now on sale - Tickets for next year's D23 Expo are now on sale. The D23 Expo will be held August 14-16, 2015 at the Anaheim Convention Center.
- Blog - Disneyland Weekly Update - 08/11/14
- Happy 45th Birthday to Disneyland's Haunted Mansion! - This New Orleans Square attraction opened on August 9, 1969.
- Tickets for Knott's Scary Farm now on sale - Tickets are now on sale for Knott's Berry Farm's annual Halloween Celebration.
- Free Vinylmation with Disneyland Vacation Package - Book a vacation package to the Disneyland Resort this fall and receive a special Vinylmation figure inspired by Tim Burton's "The Nightmare Before Christmas".
- D23 announces ticket pricing for D23 Expo 2015 - Tickets go on sale August 14th, 2014 (one year in advance) for the D23 Expo 2015 in Anaheim. Early Bird pricing is good through the end of the year.
- Guardians of the Galaxy print at Disneyland's Pizza Port - Spend $30 or more at Pizza Port and receive an exclusive Guardians of the Galaxy print, while supplies last.
- Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend adds Pixie Dust Challenge - The Pixie Dust Challenge has been added for runners who take on both the Tinker Bell 10K and the Tinker Bell Half Marathon.
- Save 20% on a room only reservation at Disneyland hotels - Book a premium room at Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel, Disneyland Hotel or Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa and save 20%. Save 15% on a standard room.
- Blog - Review: "Guardians of the Galaxy" combines humor, action, and a stellar cast to become the perfect summer blockbuster
- Disneyland's Mickey's Halloween Party tickets now on sale to the general public. - This event runs September 12-October 31, 2014.
- Disneyland military ticket offer extended to 2015 - The Disneyland Resort has extended their special military offer through 10/03/15, however beginning 08/25/14, the 3-Day Park Hoppers will increase slightly to $132.
- Military resource support group launches for Disney cast members
The group launched at both Disneyland and Walt Disney World.
- Eight new "Disney Family of Wines" come to California Adventure
The wineries represented all have a personal connection to the Disney name.
- Small fire at Disneyland quickly extinguished
The fire was in a backstage area.
- runDisney announces Disneyland Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend
The event will take place January 15-18, 2015 at the Disneyland Resort.
- Disneyland Raises Ticket Prices Overnight
The Disneyland Resort raised prices on their tickets and annual passes overnight.