by Mary Jo Willey
Disneyland Travel Specialist
(Show began in 1992)
Fantasmic is shown nightly during peak season, and on weekends during non-peak season
When scheduled, the show times are typically 9:00pm and 10:30pm (2nd show during peak season). The show lasts approximately 20 minutes. (Check the Disneyland daily guide for current show times)
Fantasmic is a must see show but may be a little intense at times for smaller children. Performed on Tom Sawyer's Island, guests gather on the banks of the Rivers of America to view the show. If you arrive early seating is available on the ground near the water (you may get a little wet in this area), the remaining areas are for standing only. This show is so popular that people will begin finding viewing spots as early as 5-6pm for the 9pm show. You really don't have to wait that long to see it, however, it is a good idea to get there in plenty of time since it will be very crowded. If you have small children, it is a good idea to get the sitting area, or the first row of the standing area so your children will be able to see the show. Don't sit on the brick fences that line the walkways in that area because this is a walkway, even during the show and the Cast Members will ask you to move. Prime viewing areas would be the area in front of Pirates of the Caribbean, or on the bridge above it. If you are at the first show, try to get a spot where you can see the cable that goes from the Matterhorn past the castle. This area is great for watching the fireworks after the show.
Fantasmic is based on Mickey Mouse's imagination, and the fight of good against evil. There are over 50 live performers, plus film projected on three water mist screens (30-ft tall by 50-ft wide). Live action takes place on the island and on the water. Effects include pyrotechnics, fiber optics, lasers, strobe lighting, and a 45-foot fire-breathing dragon that lights the river on fire! The show begins with Annette Funicello's voice in a little introduction, then a single note starts off very subtle, slowly getting louder and louder until with a burst of music, fireworks, and Mickey's appearance the show begins. >From the beginning, guests are entertained by Disney characters - good and bad - until the final climactic scene against the dragon, and then the final exciting pyrotechnics show and characters finale on the Mark Twain Riverboat.
Waiting guests are entertained by a jazz band on a raft that floats back and forth along the river.
View of Tom Sawyer's Island and the area where Fantasmic is performed.
View from Tom Sawyer's Island, showing Fantasmic stage, and the area in Frontierland/New Orleans Square where guests watch the show.
View from Tom Sawyer's Island, showing the area in New Orleans Square where guests watch the show. In the background to the right is the Haunted Mansion.
Walkway by day, Fantasmic standing area by night
There are fewer guests at the second show, so you might want to watch that one instead. Make your way to Adventureland, or ride the Haunted Mansion or Splash Mountain/Winnie the Pooh during the first show and hang out in that area. When the show is over, make your way over to the viewing area as people from the first show leave.Guests who prefer a reserved seating area for Fantasmic can book the Fantasmic Premium Viewing option noted here:
FANTASMIC PREMIUM VIEWING (WITH DESSERT)
* Premium seating: $59 per adult (10+) / $49 per person (3-9) 2 and under are free provided they sit on your lap
To reserve your seats, contact your Travel Agent or call (714) 781-4400. Reservations can be made a month in advance and do book up quickly. Note that your reservation must be made on the same day the prior month. For instance, if the show is on December 10, you need to make a reservation on November 10. The Ticket office opens at 8:00AM, and you need to call right when it opens as these spots book quickly.You will be required to pay for this at the time of booking and tickets must be picked up on the day of the show at Guest Services, located to the left of the Disneyland Park entrance. Be sure to get your tickets before Guest Services closes.
View of premium seating area.
View with Haunted Mansion in the background. The lights for Fantasmic are hidden underground during the day, and are raised in the afternoon w/hydraulic lifts in preparation for the show.
View of the Fantasmic "stage area" from the Premium viewing area.
- Disneyland's Legends of Frontierland ends 09/27/14 - The interactive Legends of Frontierland ends its run at Disneyland Park on September 27th.
- Mickey's Halloween Party perks for Disneyland Passholders - Disneyland Annual Passholders who are attending Mickey's Halloween Party can stop by the Opera House for screenings of Halloween-themed Disney classics plus a tasty treat.
- Tips for using FastPass at Disneyland - With all the talk of Magic Bands and FastPass+ lately, I thought it might be good to remind folks that the Disneyland Resort is still using the "classic" paper FastPass system and maybe pass on a few tips.
- Blog - Disneyland Good Neighbor Hotel - Candy Cane Inn
- Save 20% on premium rooms at the Disneyland Resort - Most weeknights this Fall, save 20% on premium rooms at the three hotels of the Disneyland Resort.
- Blog - What to Expect at Disney's D23 Destination D Event this November
- Menu updated at Flo's V8 Cafe - Flo's V8 Café at California Adventure has updated its menu, adding a couple of hot sandwiches and replacing the pork loin with BBQ pork ribs.
- Disneyland delays Elsa & Anna's Boutique transformation - The transformation of Downtown Disney's Studio Disney 365 to Elsa & Anna's Boutique has been delayed. The new opening date is 10/06/14.
- Blog - Disney Opposes "Inflammatory" Amended Complaint in DAS Lawsuit
- Blog - The Good and Bad of "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" on Blu-ray
- 4D preview of Big Hero 6 at Disneyland Park - Beginning September 26th, the Magic Eye Theater in Disneyland Park will host a 4D preview of the upcoming animated feature "Big Hero 6".
- Blog - Disneyland Weekly Update - 09/15/14
- Blog - HalloweenTime at Disneyland 2014
- Blog - Tom & West's 5 Favorite Thrills at Magic Mountain
- Top 5 ways to celebrate HalloweenTime at Disneyland - Disneyland Park goes all out for the Halloween season, from the front of the Park to the back. Starting in mid-September and continuing through the holiday itself, the Park and the characters, are decked in their Fall finest.
- Mickey's Halloween Party sold out for Halloween Night - Mickey's Halloween party at Disneyland is now sold out for three dates: 09/26, 10/03 and 10/31.
- Disneyland confirms return of Winter Dreams and Viva Navidad - The Disneyland Resort has announced the dates for the holiday celebrations and confirmed the return of World of Color-Winter Dreams and Viva Navidad.
- Mahaloween Luau coming to Trader Sam's - Celebrate Halloween a bit early at Trader Sam's with its Mahaloween Luau on 09/29/14. Tickets are $125 and go on sale 09/10/14.
- Mystic Magic Show added to Big Thunder Ranch Halloween Carnival - New on the stage this year at Disneyland's Halloween Carnival is the Mystic Magic Show, featuring jugglers, magicians and fortune tellers.
- FastPass testing at Disneyland's Frozen meet & greet - Disneyland is now testing a FastPass-like system for the Frozen meet & greet in Fantasyland.
- VIDEO: Cruising Around Hawaii - Explore the Hawaiian islands of Maui, Hawai'i, and Kauai while sailing onboard Norwegians Cruise Line's Pride of America.
- VIDEO: Driving Around Oahu - Explore the island of Oahu by driving around to different unique locations. Ted's Bakery, Haleiwa, Matsumoto's Shave Ice, and many others make Oahu a great place to find local treasures.
- Meet Oswald the Lucky Rabbit at California Adventure - Beginning 09/14/14, guests can meet Oswald the Lucky Rabbit on Buena Vista Street at California Adventure.
- Blog - Disneyland Weekly Update - 09/01/14
- Blog - The Good and Bad of "Toy Story of TERROR!" on Blu-ray
- Legends of Frontierland extended at Disneyland Park - Legends of Frontierland, the interactive experience at Disneyland Park, has been extended past the previously announced September 1st end date.
- VIDEO - Frozen Fireworks Multi-Angle Full Show - “Frozen” Fireworks Spectacular – Everything wraps up at 9:45 p.m. when Anna, Elsa, Kristoff, and Olaf come together at the Sorcerer’s Hat Icon Stage for a grand finale to the day’s festivities, kicking off an awe-inspiring fireworks display set to the glorious music of “Frozen!”
- Magic Mountain announces Twisted Colossus - Southern California's Six Flags Magic Mountain announced that they are transforming their classic wooden coaster into a record-breaking wooden/steel hybrid.
- Disneyland adds Frozen pre-parade to Mickey's Halloween Party - The stars of Frozen will appear on their special pre-parade float prior to each Mickey's Costume Party cavalcade.
- Blog - Disneyland Good Neighbor Hotel - Cortona Inn & Suites
- Blog - Disneyland Weekly Update - 08/25/14
- New drawbridge for Sleeping Beauty Castle
Sleeping Beauty Castle has received a new drawbridge and railings.
- Magic Mountain's Colossus Catches Fire
The Colossus roller coaster at Magic Mountain caught fire today. No injuries were reported.
- Military resource support group launches for Disney cast members
The group launched at both Disneyland and Walt Disney World.
- Eight new "Disney Family of Wines" come to California Adventure
The wineries represented all have a personal connection to the Disney name.
- Small fire at Disneyland quickly extinguished
The fire was in a backstage area.