Disneyland Vacation Planning
Disneyland Resort and Southern California Planning Guides
Planning is the key to any Disney vacation. Below we’ve tried to list as many things as possible to help you plan your Disneyland vacation. To get started our Disneyland California Vacation Guide provides some valuable information and ask questions or read others experiences at our discussion forums DISboards.com.
You will soon find out that planning your Disneyland Vacation in Southern California is half the fun!
For more help planning your Disneyland vacation, be sure to check out the DIS Unplugged: Disneyland Edition podcast for an unbiased and honest look at every aspect of your Disneyland experience.
DIS Unplugged: Disneyland Edition Home Page
Subscribe via iTunes
Subscribe via RSS
Disneyland 101 segments
Disneyland 101: We're Going to Disneyland!
Disneyland 101: Disneyland Dining
Disneyland 101: Disneyland After Dark
Disneyland 101: Touring Disneyland
Disneyland 101: Touring California Adventure
Disneyland 101: Downtown Disney
Shopping 201: Disneyland Park-Main Street USA
Shopping 201: Disneyland Park-Adventureland & New Orleans Square
Shopping 201: Disneyland Park-Critter Country & Frontierland
Southern California 101 segments
SoCal 101: Introduction
SoCal 101: Walt's Old Neighborhoods
SoCal 101: Hollywood/Westside
SoCal 101: Downtown LA
SoCal 101: Orange County
SoCal 101: Outlying Areas
SoCal 101: San Diego
Personalized Trip Planning segments
Help! Leah's First Trip: Part 1 (Introduction and Southern California)
Help! Leah's First Trip: Part 2 (Disneyland)
Help! Leah's First Trip: Part 3 (Food)
Help! Leah's First Trip: Part 4 (Disney California Adventure)
Help! Leah's First Trip: Part 5 (Last Minute Advice)
Help! Leah's First Trip: Part 6 (Trip Report-Part 1)
Help! Leah's First Trip: Part 7 (Trip Report-Part 2)
Help! John's Guy Trip: Part 1
Help! John's Guy Trip: Part 2
Help! John's Guy Trip: Part 3 (Trip Report)
Help! Allison's Holiday Trip: Part 1
Help! Allison's Holiday Trip: Part 2
Help! Allison's Holiday Trip: Part 3
Help! Allison's Holiday Trip: Part 4 (Trip Report)
Help! Lisa's Last Minute Questions: Part 1
Help! Lisa's Last Minute Questions: Part 2 (Trip Report)
Help! Chris' Solo Trip: Part 1
Help! Chris' Solo Trip: Part 2
Help! Chris' Solo Trip: Part 3
Help! Chris' Solo Trip: Part 4 (Trip Report)
Help! Jodie's Summer Vacation: Part 1
Help! Jodie's Summer Vacation: Part 2
Help! Jodie's Summer Vacation: Part 3 (Trip Report)
Help! Brian & Amy's Anniversary Trip: Part 1
- Best Times to Plan a Visit
- Discounts and Specials
- Dress Code: clothing, make-up and other restrictions
- Houses of Worship
- Packing Tips
- Park Hours
- Rehabs / Closings
- Reviews - Attractions / Rides
- Reviews - Resorts / Hotels
- Reviews - Dining / Restaurants
- Theme Park Tickets
- Transportation - Airport Information
- Transportation - Ground Transportation
- Accepted Forms of Payment
- Anaheim Area Stores
- Charging Lockers (for electronics and cell phones)
- Early Entry
- Fantasmic Premium Viewing (with dessert)
- First Aid
- Foreign Currency Exchange
- *Fun Things to Do*
- Items not permitted at the Disneyland resort
- Magic Morning Hours
- Other Southern California Attractions
- Package Check Service
- Parades & Shows
- Park Hours
- Parking at Disneyland
- Personal items subject to inspection when entering the parks
- Picnic Area
- Rehabs / Closings
- Rider Switch
- Sign Language Interpretation
- Single Rider Line
- Smoking Areas
- Special Dietary needs at the Disneyland Resort
- Special Occasion Buttons
- Stroller/Wheelchair Rentals
Disneyland Resort Hotel Rehabs
- None Scheduled
Disneyland Park Rehabs
- 09/05/14 - 11/28/14 - Mark Twain Riverboat
- 12/01/14 - 12/19/14 - Casey Jr. Circus Train
- 12/01/14 - 12/19/14 - Storybook Land Canal Boats
- 01/05/15 - 05/13/15 - Matterhorn Bobsleds
Disney California Adventure Rehabs
- 10/21/14 - 01/16/15 - Boudin Bakery
- 12/01/14 - 12/08/14 - Goofy's Sky School
- 12/08/14 - 12/11/14 - Toy Story Midway Mania
- 12/09/14 - 12/11/14 - California Screamin'
- 01/05/15 - 01/08/15 - Twilight Zone: Tower of Terror
Downtown Disney Rehabs
- None Scheduled
Disneyland Park Closings
- The Tangled meet and greet is now closed
Disney California California Adventure Closings
- Dulce Aventura is now closed
Downtown Disney Closings
- Studio Disney 365 has closedto make way for Anna & Elsa's Boutique
*Although we try to provide the most up to date information available, the above information is subject to change.
Disneyland accepts most major credit cards including American Express, Visa, MasterCard and Discover. Credit Card purchases that are less than $50 including tax will not require a signature.
Travelers checks, Disney Dollars, Disney Gift Cards and Cash are also accepted at most locations throughout the Disneyland Resort.
If you would like to visit the parks when attendance is low, plan your vacation for mid-week (Tuesday through Thursday) during mid-September through mid-November, mid-January through mid-March or mid-April through mid-May. Although lines may be shorter, you will also find reduced operating hours, fewer shows and parades and some attractions may be closed for refurbishment.
The goal of the Disneyland Resort is to provide a safe, secure environment for Guests to enjoy. Clothing, makeup and tattoos that may distract from the Disneyland Resort experience or that may pose a safety or health issue are not permitted:
-Clothing or tattoos with obscene, lewd or offensive language, graphics or designs
-Clothing that could be construed as indecent, exposing excessive portions of skin that may be viewed as inappropriate for a family environment (e.g., string bikini tops and bottoms, G-strings, clothing that accentuates or draws attention to private areas)
-Weapons or accessories that appear to be weapons (i.e., bullet belts)
-Clothing or accessories that drag on the ground and create a potential tripping hazard
-Costumes on Guests over the age of 9 (e.g., Halloween costumes, with the exception of special events, wedding dresses, period costumes)
-Sharp or pointed accessories that may cause injury
-Masks or makeup that could be construed as part of a costume
Exception: Attire intended to identify those wearing it is acceptable (e.g., military uniforms, cultural attire)
The Disneyland Resort provides select accommodations for those with disabilites.
Guests with mobility disabilites are provided access to most attractions and offered wheelchair and electric convenience vehicle (ECV) rentals.
Assistive Listening systems, Reflective Captioning, Sign Language interpretation, Text Typewriter telephones, Handheld Captioning, Video Captioning and written aids are available to guests with hearing disabilities.
Regularly scheduled Sign Language Interpretation is available at the Disneyland Resort for many rides and shows. The service is available every Sunday and Friday at Disney California Adventure park and every Monday and Saturday at Disneyland park. Advance arrangements are not required however, it is recommended that you request schedule confirmation at least one week in advance.
Handheld Captioning is available on more than 20 attractions at Disneyland and Disney California Adventure. A $25 refundable deposit is required.
Guests who request confirmation will be contacted prior to your visit with a current schedule of attractions, dates and times of interpreted offerings. Interpretation service for special events and shows can be requested with two weeks notice by calling Disneyland Resort Guest Relations at (714) 781-6176 [voice] or (714) 781-7292 [TTY].
Audio Description devices, Braille guidebooks and digital tours are available to help guests with visual disabilities.
The Audio Description service features more than 20 attractions at Disneyland and Disney California Adventure plus digital tours of both Parks. A $25 refundable deposit is required.
Trained service animals are welcome in most locations, however, all service animals must remain on a leash or harness at all times.
Foreign currency can be exchanged for U.S. dollars through Travelex Exchange Services at City Hall in Disneyland Park, Next to the Walt Disney Travel Company in Downtown Disney, Guest Relations just inside the Main Entrance of Disney California Adventure Park and at the front desks of the Disneyland Resort Hotels (Disney's Grand California Resort & Spa, Disneyland Hotel and Paradise Pier Hotel.)
There is no need to save your shopping until the end of the day when the Disneyland shops will be crowded with visitors looking for last minute souvenirs. Both parks offer 'Package Check Service' where you can check your purchases and pick them up at the end of the day.
In the Disneyland Park, this service is offered at the Newsstand, Premier Shop and Pioneer Mercantile. In Disney California Adventure, visit Elias & Co. Guests staying at one of the three Disneyland Hotels can check their packages and request delivery to their hotel. (These packages will be delivered after 7:00am the following day.)
Disneyland does not allow outside food in the the parks (except baby food, formula and medical dietary needs). If you do plan on having a picnic, there is an area to the left of the Disneyland Park main entrance (near the Mickey and Friends tram). Lockers (fee charged) are located nearby where you can store your picnic items while you visit the parks.
Disney's PhotoPass gives guests the ability to view and purchase photos taken by Disney Photographers. When visitors have their photos taken, they’re issued a “PhotoPass” which has the web address and a 16 digit ID number imprinted on it. During your trip, you can view or purchase your photos at the Main Street Photo Supply Co. at Disneyland Park or Kingswell Camera Shop at Disney California Adventure. You can also view and purchase your photos at the Disney PhotoPass website after you return home. If you know in advance that you'll be taking advantage of the PhotoPass service, you can even pre-purchase a photo CD, typically at a discount.
Disneyland also offers the PhotoPass+ service which includes a CD of your photos, PLUS a photo gallery CD with hundreds of stock Disneyland photos, print packages from select dining locations and digital photos from select attractions. This can also be pre-purchased at the Disney PhotoPass website.
Special dietary needs including vegetarian and medically restricted diets can often be accommodated at select table-service restaurants. Please request special meals at least 24 hours in advance at (714) 781-DINE (3463) or by contacting your Travel Agent.
32" (82 cm) or taller and accompanied by another rider 54" or taller. 54" (137 cm) or taller to ride alone
35" (89 cm) or taller
40" (102 cm) or taller
42" (106 cm) or taller
46" (117 cm) or taller
32" (82 cm) or taller
36" (91 cm) or taller
40" (102 cm) or taller
Silly Symphony Swings (tandem swings only)
42" (106 cm) or taller
Redwood Creek Challenge Trail (rock wall and zip line only)
48" (122 cm) or taller
Silly Symphony Swings (single swings)
- Blog - Christmas at Cars Land in Disney's California Adventure
- Save up to 30% on a stay at Aulani - Discount is available most nights 4/6 - 6/15/15.
- Mad T Party at California Adventure ends November 30th - Mad T Party will have its final performance on 11/30/14. No word yet on what will replace it.
- Top 5(+) things that are better at Walt Disney World than at Disneyland - Bigger may not always be better, but isn't always worse either. I can't resist countering with an article that lists, in my view, the things that are better at Walt Disney World.
- Blog - Disneyland Area Hotel Review - Hyatt Place
- Blog - Jingle Cruise: a Better and Funnier Voyage in 2014
- Blog - Disney's Second Try at World of Color: Winter Dreams feels more Disney
- Blog - The Wreaths of Disneyland's Small World Holiday
- Top 5 things that are better at Disneyland than at Walt Disney World - Bigger isn't always better and while Walt Disney's original theme park is smaller, it still has the advantage over its East-coast counterpart in a few key areas.
- My favorite bathrooms in California Adventure - Being a newer park, the facilities are better thought out and larger. Still, you do have options..... Let's take a look at the bathrooms of DCA.
- Blog - Disneyland Weekly Update - 11/10/14
- Free breakfast offer for length of stay at Aulani - This offer must be booked by December 18.
- Blog - Frozen Ice Palace Debuts at Malls Across the Country
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Sleeping Beauty Castle Courtyard - Sleeping Beauty Castle - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Sleeping Beauty Castle Courtyard - Sleeping Beauty Castle
- Aulani plans Thanksgiving feast - Celebrate the holiday in the Kaiona Ballroom. The menu will include traditional Thanksgiving favorites with an island twist.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Disneyland Park Hub - "Partners" Statue - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Disneyland Park Hub - "Partners" Statue
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Haunted Mansion Queue - Haunted Mansion Holiday - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Haunted Mansion Queue - Haunted Mansion Holiday
- Blog - Disneyland Weekly Update - 11/03/14
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Fantasy Faire Path - Sleeping Beauty Castle - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Fantasy Faire Path - Sleeping Beauty Castle
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Sleeping Beauty Castle Bridge - Sleeping Beauty Castle - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Sleeping Beauty Castle Bridge - Sleeping Beauty Castle
- VIDEO: Conjure A Villain at Disneyland Park - During Halloween Time at Disneyland Park, you can conjure a villain to meet back in the Halloween Carnival in Big Thunder Ranch. You never know what villain you are going to get!
- VIDEO: Mickey's Costume Party Cavalcade 2014 - Mickey's Costume Party Cavalcade is the special parade that takes place during Mickey's Halloween Party at Disneyland Park.
- VIDEO: Cadaver Dans sing "Headless Horseman" on the Rivers of America - During Mickey's Halloween Party at Disneyland Park, the Dapper Dans transform into the Cadaver Dans and move their act from Main Street USA to the Rivers of America to perform some Halloween-themed numbers including this version of "Headless Horseman" from "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" animated Disney film.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - New Orleans Square - Rivers of America - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at New Orleans Square - Rivers of America
- Blog - Mickey's Halloween Party vs. Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party
- My favorite bathrooms in Disneyland Park - What makes a good bathroom? Is it clean? Is it busy? How big is it? How crowded is it?
- VIDEO: 2014 Mickey's Halloween Party Overview - Mickey's Halloween Party is the yearly event that brings the spookiest holiday of them all to Disneyland Park.
- Planning a Disney Halloween Party in 10 Steps - A few ideas and 10 steps for planning a Disney Halloween party in your own neighborhood.
- New Anaheim transportation hub to open next month
A new Anaheim transportation hub is scheduled to open in early December.
- Last surviving child of Knott's founder dies
Marion Knott, youngest daughter of Knott's Berry Farm founders Walter and Cordelia Knott, passed away recently at age 92.
- Knott's Berry Farm announces new 4-D attraction
Knott's Berry Farm has announced Voyage of the Iron Reef, a new interactive ride set to open Spring 2015.
- Superheroes take over the inaugural Avengers half marathon
Runners dressed in costume for the inaugural running of the Avengers Superheroes Half Marathon this weekend in Anaheim.
- Schedule for handmade candy canes at Disneyland
Candy cane-making season begins November 28.