Disneyland Vacation Planning
Disneyland Resort and Southern California Planning Guides
Planning is the key to any Disney vacation. Below we’ve tried to list as many things as possible to help you plan your Disneyland vacation. To get started our Disneyland California Vacation Guide provides some valuable information and ask questions or read others experiences at our discussion forums DISboards.com.
You will soon find out that planning your Disneyland Vacation in Southern California is half the fun!
For more help planning your Disneyland vacation, be sure to check out the DIS Unplugged: Disneyland Edition podcast for an unbiased and honest look at every aspect of your Disneyland experience.
DIS Unplugged: Disneyland Edition Home Page
Subscribe via iTunes
Subscribe via RSS
Disneyland 101 segments
Disneyland 101: We're Going to Disneyland!
Disneyland 101: Disneyland Dining
Disneyland 101: Disneyland After Dark
Southern California 101 segments
SoCal 101: Introduction
SoCal 101: Walt's Old Neighborhoods
SoCal 101: Hollywood/Westside
SoCal 101: Downtown LA - Coming 06/20/13
Personalized Trip Planning segments
Help! Leah's First Trip: Part 1 (Introduction and Southern California)
Help! Leah's First Trip: Part 2 (Disneyland)
Help! Leah's First Trip: Part 3 (Food)
Help! Leah's First Trip: Part 4 (Disney California Adventure)
Help! Leah's First Trip: Part 5 (Last Minute Advice)
- Best Times to Plan a Visit
- Discounts and Specials
- Dress Code: clothing, make-up and other restrictions
- Houses of Worship
- Packing Tips
- Park Hours
- Rehabs / Closings
- Reviews - Attractions / Rides
- Reviews - Resorts / Hotels
- Reviews - Dining / Restaurants
- Theme Park Tickets
- Transportation - Airport Information
- Transportation - Ground Transportation
- Accepted Forms of Payment
- Anaheim Area Stores
- Charging Lockers (for electronics and cell phones)
- Early Entry
- Fantasmic Premium Viewing (with dessert)
- First Aid
- Foreign Currency Exchange
- *Fun Things to Do*
- Items not permitted at the Disneyland resort
- Magic Morning Hours
- Other Southern California Attractions
- Package Check Service
- Parades & Shows
- Park Hours
- Parking at Disneyland
- Personal items subject to inspection when entering the parks
- Picnic Area
- Rehabs / Closings
- Rider Switch
- Sign Language Interpretation
- Single Rider Line
- Smoking Areas
- Special Dietary needs at the Disneyland Resort
- Special Occasion Buttons
- Stroller/Wheelchair Rentals
Disneyland Resort Hotel Rehabs
- 03/16/13 - 05/25/13 - Paradise Pier parking ramp repair work
- 08/12/12 - 05/24/13 - Troubador Tavern
- 01/07/13 - 10/30/13 - Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
- 04/26/13 - 05/23/13 - New Orleans Square Train Station
Disney California Adventure Rehabs
- 05/06/13 - 05/16/13 - It's Tough to Be a Bug
Downtown Disney Rehabs
- None scheduled
Disneyland Park Closings
- "The Magic, The Memories & You" closed 09/03/12
- Disney Princess Fantasy Fair closed 08/12/12
Disney California California Adventure Closings
- Dulce Aventura is now closed
Downtown Disney Closings
- Compass Books - closed 03/31/12
*Although we try to provide the most up to date information available, the above information is subject to change.
Disneyland accepts most major credit cards including American Express, Visa, MasterCard and Discover. Credit Card purchases that are less than $50 including tax will not require a signature.
Travelers checks, Disney Dollars, Disney Gift Cards and Cash are also accepted at most locations throughout the Disneyland Resort.
If you would like to visit the parks when attendance is low, plan your vacation for mid-week (Tuesday through Thursday) during mid-September through mid-November, mid-January through mid-March or mid-April through mid-May. Although lines may be shorter, you will also find reduced operating hours, fewer shows and parades and some attractions may be closed for refurbishment.
The goal of the Disneyland Resort is to provide a safe, secure environment for Guests to enjoy. Clothing, makeup and tattoos that may distract from the Disneyland Resort experience or that may pose a safety or health issue are not permitted:
-Clothing or tattoos with obscene, lewd or offensive language, graphics or designs
-Clothing that could be construed as indecent, exposing excessive portions of skin that may be viewed as inappropriate for a family environment (e.g., string bikini tops and bottoms, G-strings, clothing that accentuates or draws attention to private areas)
-Weapons or accessories that appear to be weapons (i.e., bullet belts)
-Clothing or accessories that drag on the ground and create a potential tripping hazard
-Costumes on Guests over the age of 9 (e.g., Halloween costumes, with the exception of special events, wedding dresses, period costumes)
-Sharp or pointed accessories that may cause injury
-Masks or makeup that could be construed as part of a costume
Exception: Attire intended to identify those wearing it is acceptable (e.g., military uniforms, cultural attire)
The Disneyland Resort provides select accommodations for those with disabilites.
Guests with mobility disabilites are provided access to most attractions and offered wheelchair and electric convenience vehicle (ECV) rentals.
Assistive Listening systems, Reflective Captioning, Sign Language interpretation, Text Typewriter telephones, Handheld Captioning, Video Captioning and written aids are available to guests with hearing disabilities.
Regularly scheduled Sign Language Interpretation is available at the Disneyland Resort for many rides and shows. The service is available every Sunday and Friday at Disney California Adventure park and every Monday and Saturday at Disneyland park. Advance arrangements are not required however, it is recommended that you request schedule confirmation at least one week in advance.
Handheld Captioning is available on more than 20 attractions at Disneyland and Disney California Adventure. A $25 refundable deposit is required.
Guests who request confirmation will be contacted prior to your visit with a current schedule of attractions, dates and times of interpreted offerings. Interpretation service for special events and shows can be requested with two weeks notice by calling Disneyland Resort Guest Relations at (714) 781-6176 [voice] or (714) 781-7292 [TTY].
Audio Description devices, Braille guidebooks and digital tours are available to help guests with visual disabilities.
The Audio Description service features more than 20 attractions at Disneyland and Disney California Adventure plus digital tours of both Parks. A $25 refundable deposit is required.
Trained service animals are welcome in most locations, however, all service animals must remain on a leash or harness at all times.
Foreign currency can be exchanged for U.S. dollars through Travelex Exchange Services at City Hall in Disneyland Park, Next to the Walt Disney Travel Company in Downtown Disney, Guest Relations just inside the Main Entrance of Disney California Adventure Park and at the front desks of the Disneyland Resort Hotels (Disney's Grand California Resort & Spa, Disneyland Hotel and Paradise Pier Hotel.)
There is no need to save your shopping until the end of the day when the Disneyland shops will be crowded with visitors looking for last minute souvenirs. Both parks offer 'Package Check Service' where you can check your purchases and pick them up at the end of the day.
In the Disneyland Park, this service is offered at the Newsstand, Premier Shop and Pioneer Mercantile. In Disney California Adventure, visit Elias & Co. Guests staying at one of the three Disneyland Hotels can check their packages and request delivery to their hotel. (These packages will be delivered after 7:00am the following day.)
Disneyland does not allow outside food in the the parks (except baby food, formula and medical dietary needs). If you do plan on having a picnic, there is an area to the left of the Disneyland Park main entrance (near the Mickey and Friends tram). Lockers (fee charged) are located nearby where you can store your picnic items while you visit the parks.
Disney's PhotoPass gives guests the ability to view and purchase photos taken by Disney Photographers. When visitors have their photos taken, they’re issued a “PhotoPass” which has the web address and a 16 digit ID number imprinted on it. During your trip, you can view or purchase your photos at the Main Street Photo Supply Co. at Disneyland Park or Kingswell Camera Shop at Disney California Adventure. You can also view and purchase your photos at the Disney PhotoPass website after you return home. If you know in advance that you'll be taking advantage of the PhotoPass service, you can even pre-purchase a photo CD, typically at a discount.
Disneyland also offers the PhotoPass+ service which includes a CD of your photos, PLUS a photo gallery CD with hundreds of stock Disneyland photos, print packages from select dining locations and digital photos from select attractions. This can also be pre-purchased at the Disney PhotoPass website.
Special dietary needs including vegetarian and medically restricted diets can often be accommodated at select table-service restaurants. Please request special meals at least 24 hours in advance at (714) 781-DINE (3463) or by contacting your Travel Agent.
32" (82 cm) or taller and accompanied by another rider 54" or taller. 54" (137 cm) or taller to ride alone
35" (89 cm) or taller
40" (102 cm) or taller
42" (106 cm) or taller
46" (117 cm) or taller
32" (82 cm) or taller
36" (91 cm) or taller
40" (102 cm) or taller
Silly Symphony Swings (tandem swings only)
42" (106 cm) or taller
Redwood Creek Challenge Trail (rock wall and zip line only)
48" (122 cm) or taller
Silly Symphony Swings (single swings)
- VIDEO: Disney Beyond The Parks - Producing the Aulani Live Show - Visit http://www.wdwinfo.com/beyondtheparks/#hawaii to view the full DIS Unplugged show from Aulani in Hawaii. For the latest updates on our trip to Aulani and Hawaii, visit http://new.livestream.com/TheDIS/aulani Join the DIS Team as we explore Disney beyond the parks, starting with Aulani, a Disney Resort and Spa in Hawaii!
- Southern California CityPass price increase June 3rd - Beginning June 3rd, the price for the Southern California CityPass will increase. Adults will be $319, children will be $279. Attractions will remain the same. Passes purchased prior to June 3rd are valid through January 4th.
- Follow along as the DIS goes... Beyond The Parks!! - Members of the DIS Unplugged podcast team are headed to Disney's Aulani Resort, sailing on an Alaskan Disney cruise and taking an Adventures by Disney Backstage Magic trip!
- Blog - Help! A Walt Disney World Vet’s First Time at Disneyland – Part 5
- Watch our live broadcast from Disney's Aulani Resort - Tue. May 21 at 8pm EDT - Disney... Beyond The Parks! Come with us as we visit Disney's Aulani Resort, sail on an Alaskan Disney cruise, and take an Adventures By Disney trip! We're kicking off the trip with a live broadcast from Disney's Aulani Resort - Tue. May 21, 2013 8:00pm EDT.
- HalloweenTime at Disneyland begins September 13! - HalloweenTime at the Disneyland Resort, including Haunted Mansion Holiday and Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy, begins September 13, 2013. Mickey's Halloween Party begins September 30, 2013.
- Swing dancing returns to Disneyland Park beginning June 15th - Swing Dancing returns to the former Carnation Plaza Gardens (now Fantasy Faire) stage on a limited basis beginning June 15th!
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Disneyland - Rivers of America - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Disneyland.
- 2014 dates chosen for DIS-exclusive Backstage Magic trips - Three dates have been selected for 2014 Adventures by Disney Backstage Magic trips with members of the DIS Unplugged podcast team!
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Disneyland - Indiana Jones Queue - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Disneyland.
- Woody's All-American Roundup at Disneyland this Summer - Beginning June 14th, Sheriff Woody will be bringing his Talent Roundup to the stage at the Big Thunder Ranch Jamboree. Woody and Jessie will be entertaining guests with their lasso skills and slingshot tricks, plus greeting guests along with Mickey and Minnie.
- Limited Time Magic: Disneyland Passholder Animation Academy - Annual Passholders are invited to learn to draw a classic Disney character and hear behind-the scenes stores from Disney Animator Eric Goldberg. The event will be held at 3pm, 4pm, 5pm and 6pm in the Disney Animation building at Disney California Adventure. Passholders must register in person the day of the event.
- WonderGround Gallery to host Cocktail Party for Hipster Collection - In celebration of the new "Happiest Hipster on Earth" collection, Disneyland Resort's WonderGround Gallery will be hosting a Cocktail Reception featuring an artist signing opportunity with Jerrod Maruyama. Tickets go on sale May 21st.
- New Disneyland restaurant reservation policy delayed indefinitely! - The new Disneyland Resort policy requiring a credit card for reservations at Disney owned restaurants that was to go in effect soon has been delayed indefinitely.
- Disneyland's Magical fireworks now Glow with the Show - Disneyland's Summer Fireworks, Magical, now incorporates the Glow with the Show ears. Also on select days, guests wearing them can access a special viewing area.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Grand Californian Hotel - Lobby - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Disneyland.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Disneyland Hotel - Pool - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Disneyland.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Cars Land - Cozy Cone Motel - With our "Disney Park Bench" series, we're giving you a 5-minute break to relax with the sights and sounds of Disneyland.
- Blog - New Disney Dooney & Bourke Release This Summer
- VIDEO: Memories of the Disneyland Resort Hotels - Visit http://www.wdwinfo.com/disneyland/ for more information on the Disneyland Resort.
- Blog - Help! A Walt Disney World Vet’s First Time at Disneyland – Part 4
- Blog - Disneyland 101 – Dining Strategies
- Calfornia adjusts safety citations and fines against Disneyland
California agency reduces violations and associated fines that came as a result of April 13th closure of three major attractions.
- Space Mountain reopens at Disneyland
After a safety-related closure, Space Mountain is back open.
- Disney contractor fined by Cal-OSHA
A Disney contractor was fined in relation to the incident in November where a worker fell from the roof of Space Mountain.
- Updated: 3 Major attractions suddenly closed at Disneyland
Several major attractions closed at the Disneyland Resort.
- No more free coffee refills on Disneyland's Main Street U.S.A.
Market House at Disneyland will not offer free coffee refills after it changes into a Starbucks this fall.