Enhancements coming to Disney Cruise Line's Magic shipby Leah Zanolla
Apr 26, 2013
Several exciting enhancements were announced for Disney Cruise Line's ship, the Disney Magic.
The grand atrium lobby is the first thing guests see when they enter the Disney Magic, and after this fall's remodel, it will be a completely different view. The lobby will be redesigned with an art deco motif and feature colors of the sea, like coral, blue and aquamarine. The carpet will feature a seashell design. If guests look up, they will notice that the chandelier is meant to act as the sun in this space and golden yellow rays stretch across the ceiling. Currently, there are two curved staircases descending into the atrium. The redesign will leave only one to better enhance the flow of the space; the "Helmsman Mickey" statue will also be moved to a new location in the lobby and will receive a makeover of its own.
Next up is the Oceaneer Club - one of the areas for children age 3-12. The Club will be getting several new experiences, some based on the Oceaneer Club on the Dream and Fantasy and some will be brand-new on the Magic. Disney's Pixie Hollow and Andy's Room from Toy Story, just like on the Dream and Fantasy ships, will come to the Magic. New to any Disney Cruise ship will be Marvel's Avengers Academy. Children will be in charge of a command post directing the Avengers' secret missions and training. Another new addition will be the Mickey Mouse Club, decorated in red, yellow and black. Kids will make crafts and play games, as well as test out Goofy's Gears, an oversized activity center with magnetic, spinning gears to play with.
The other youth clubs will get an overhaul as well. The nursery will be transformed into the It's a Small World nursery, based on the theme park attraction, just like the nurseries on the Disney Dream and Disney Fantasy. The Oceaneer Lab, which is also for kids age 3-12, will get a new pirate-themed area. Kids will use Navigator Simulators to steer a pirate ship through the Caribbean.
Several new interactive features will be coming to the pool deck. Water play features similar to the Fantasy's AquaLab will be added to the 1,800-square-foot space. Kids can jump around the pop jets, geysers and bubblers. The infants/toddlers splash area will be re-themed around Huey, Dewey, and Louie, Donald's nephews. The Twist N' Spout water slide will let guests twist back and forth across the ship in 250 feet of twists and turns. This slide is for guests between 38 and 64 inches tall.
Brand-new to any Disney ship is the AquaDunk, a three-story body slide! Riders step inside a clear tube and the floor under them opens like a trap door, sending them on a near-vertical drop that will eventually take them 20 feet over the side of the ship. This slide is for guests 48 inches or taller.
Changes are coming to the ship's dining establishments as well.
Animator's Palate will be remodeled with high-def flat screens and animation decorating the walls. The popular Animation Magic show from the Disney Fantasy will be coming as well, giving each guest the chance to become an artist.
A new Brazilian restaurant will be available for guests, bring the spirit of Rio de Janeiro to the ship. Carioca's will be designed like an outdoor marketplace and will be based on Jose, the parrot from The Three Cabelleros. In the daytime this space will have a festival theme and transform at night to the city of Rio, with soft lights and lit lanterns. Carioca's will replace Parrot Cay.
Cabanas will replace Topsider Buffet, which is currently on the ship, and be themed around Finding Nemo. Cabanas is a casual atmosphere during the day and a table-service restaurant in the evening. The restaurant space will also be expanding, giving it 9,460 square feet of space and 455 seats.
Palo, the adults-only dining location, will be getting a makeover reminiscent of a cafe in Venice. Glass artwork, stone floors and red and white striped poles will give the restaurant the illusion of being situated on the canals of the Italian city.
Each ship has an adults-only area with nightclubs and bars. After the Magic remodel, this area will be called "After Hours" and gain O'Gill's Pub from the Disney Fantasy. New clubs will be Fathoms, an undersea-themed club that changes atmosphere as the night goes on and Keys, a laid-back piano bar.
The Vista Spa will change to Senses Spa & Salon and will be upgraded to a more contemporary design, and also be expanded by 725 square feet. Smile Spa, a new addition, will offer teeth whitening services, barbershop services for men and the Chill Spa will cater specifically to teens ages 13 to 17.
D Lounge will replace Studio Sea as the hangout for games, dance parties and family-friendly activities.
These enhancements will take place while the ship is at dry dock September 7 - October 10, 2013 in Cadiz, Spain.
Full photo gallery of artists renderings:
- News Source
- Subscribe to receive DIS Updates and News by email!
- News Feed
- Last Updated: Oct 19, 2014 - 9:25:27 AM
Disney Cruise News Stories
- Disney Cruise Line releases sail dates for early 2016
Two new Caribbean ports have been added.
- Disney Cruise Line honored by Bon Voyage digital magazine
Disney Cruise Line took top honors in several categories.
- Disney Cruise Line and Aulani honored by Travel + Leisure
Results are part of the World's Best Awards 2014.
- Disney Cruise Line releases remainder of 2015 schedule
Sail dates for the remainder of 2015 have been announced.
- Disney Wonder to return to Hawaii in 2015?
Itineraries aren't released yet, but a suspicious entry on the Hawaii port calendars is fueling the rumors.
See AllDIS SITE UPDATES
- Harambe Market opens at Disney's Animal Kingdom
- 7in7+ Disneyland Edition - Universal Studios Hollywood
- 7in7+ Disneyland Edition - Hilton Anaheim
- Hoypoloi closing at Downtown Disney 5/25/15
- Blog - Disneyland 60th Anniversary Merchandise "Sparkles" in Stores
- 7in7+ Disneyland Edition - Howard Johnson Anaheim
- 7in7+ Disneyland Edition - Downtown Anaheim
- VIDEO: Matterhorn Bobsleds POV with New Abominable Snowman
- 'Paint the Night' and 'Disneyland Forever' are HUGE hits for Disneyland
- 7in7+ Disneyland Edition - Disneyland Hotel
- 7in7+ Disneyland Edition - Disneyland Park
- 'Paint the Night' Full Nighttime Electrical Parade
- 'Disneyland Forever' Full Fireworks Show with Main Street Projections
- ‘World of Color – Celebrate! The Wonderful World of Walt Disney’ debuts at Disney California Adventure
- VIDEO: 'World of Color - Celebrate' Information with Show Producer
- VIDEO: 'World of Color - Celebrate' Full Show with Outros
- VIDEO: The Force Awakens and Star Tours in 'World of Color - Celebrate'
- Life Through the Disney Lens
- Free Breakfast Offer with 4-Night Stay at Cabana Bay Beach Resort
- Universal's 25th anniversary concert series begins this weekend
- Jack the Clown returns to Halloween Horror Nights
- Onboard rebooking blackout dates updated for 2016 cruises
- Grizzly Peak Airfield is now open at California Adventure
- Parking and queue info for Disneyland's Diamond Celebration Kick-off
- New additions announced for Disney Springs
- Blog - Review: "Tomorrowland" perfectly channels Walt Disney's philosophy and spirit
- Blog - Top 5 ways to be a good guest at Walt Disney World - Do's and Don'ts
- Blog - Star Wars Weekend Merchandise Hits the Shelves
- VIDEO: Star Wars Weekends 2015 Food, Merchandise and More!
- VIDEO: Star Wars Galactic Dine-In Breakfast
- Blog - Star Wars Weekends 2015
- Schedule of events for Coolest Summer Ever 24-hour party
- Special food items for Disneyland's 24-hour Diamond Celebration kick-off
- Full schedule for Star Wars Weekends
- Chef Mickey's to add brunch beginning May 31
- A Monstrous Rock Your Coolest Summer: A Guide to 24 Hours at Disney
- What Haven't I Done at Disney?
- Additional dates added for Adventures by Disney Danue River Cruises
- Star Wars Galactic Dine-In Breakfast
- Free transportation offer at Aulani
- Star Wars Rebels: The Ultimate Guide to show at Hollywood Studios
- Top 10 Most Featured Movies at Walt Disney World
- Store operating hours adjusted for Downtown Disney West Side
- Disneyland Good Neighbor Packages start at just $99 per night
- Animal Kingdom's TriceraTop Spin begins 2-week rehab
- Military discount available on 7-night Eastern Caribbean Disney Cruise
- Shipboard credits offered by Dreams Unlimited Travel
- Blog - Downtown Disney Construction Update May 2015
- Dates for 2015 Holiday Cruises on Disney Cruise Line
- Disney Channel and Disney XD stars to be at Coolest Summer Ever event
- November 2015 park hours released for Walt Disney World
- Construction at Downtown Disney to cause road closures
- Universal and Nintendo partnering up for theme parks
- Universal Orlando announces Skull Island: Reign of Kong attraction
- Save up to 30% on a stay at Aulani
- Something huge is on the horizon - Kong announcement coming tomorrow
- Rebel Hangar: Star Wars Lounge Experience planned for Star Wars Weekends
- Blog - A Look Back: Walt Disney World's Swan and Dolphin Hotels
- My Perfect Day at Walt Disney World
- Universal theme parks see significant increase in first quarter revenue
- Disney Pin Trading: The Perfect, Collectible Souvenir
- Disney Cruise Line offers Florida resident discounts
- Discounted Disney Cruise Line rates released for the general public
- Sneak Peek of "Inside Out" film coming to Epcot
- The Fairy Godparents of the Parks
- Walt Disney World on a Budget
- Disneyland adds Avengers-themed items at Pizza Port
- Blog - Express Food Ordering Test At Disney's Hollywood Studios
- Disneyland confirms May 9th return for Hatbox Ghost
- Reopening of Mattherhorn Bobsleds and Peter Pan's Flight delayed
- Happy 26th Birthday to Disney's Hollywood Studios!
- May merchandise events for Walt Disney World
- Walt Disney World adds more allergy-friendly menus
- Disney Character Review - Gaston
- Twisted Colossus opens at Magic Mountain on May 23rd
- Discount offer on premium Disneyland Resort rooms extended
- New a cappella group to perform on America Gardens Theatre Stage
- Disney Cruise Line Military discount available
- Registration now open for the 2016 Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend events.
- Trader Sam's now officially open at Disney's Polynesian Village Resort
- Big Thunder Mountain begins 4 day rehab
- Walt Disney World FREE DINING Basics and FAQ's
- Getting to grips with MyMagic+
- DISAPALOOZA Diagon Alley Party - December 05, 2015