Enhancements coming to Disney Cruise Line's Magic shipby Leah Zanolla
Apr 26, 2013
Several exciting enhancements were announced for Disney Cruise Line's ship, the Disney Magic.
The grand atrium lobby is the first thing guests see when they enter the Disney Magic, and after this fall's remodel, it will be a completely different view. The lobby will be redesigned with an art deco motif and feature colors of the sea, like coral, blue and aquamarine. The carpet will feature a seashell design. If guests look up, they will notice that the chandelier is meant to act as the sun in this space and golden yellow rays stretch across the ceiling. Currently, there are two curved staircases descending into the atrium. The redesign will leave only one to better enhance the flow of the space; the "Helmsman Mickey" statue will also be moved to a new location in the lobby and will receive a makeover of its own.
Next up is the Oceaneer Club - one of the areas for children age 3-12. The Club will be getting several new experiences, some based on the Oceaneer Club on the Dream and Fantasy and some will be brand-new on the Magic. Disney's Pixie Hollow and Andy's Room from Toy Story, just like on the Dream and Fantasy ships, will come to the Magic. New to any Disney Cruise ship will be Marvel's Avengers Academy. Children will be in charge of a command post directing the Avengers' secret missions and training. Another new addition will be the Mickey Mouse Club, decorated in red, yellow and black. Kids will make crafts and play games, as well as test out Goofy's Gears, an oversized activity center with magnetic, spinning gears to play with.
The other youth clubs will get an overhaul as well. The nursery will be transformed into the It's a Small World nursery, based on the theme park attraction, just like the nurseries on the Disney Dream and Disney Fantasy. The Oceaneer Lab, which is also for kids age 3-12, will get a new pirate-themed area. Kids will use Navigator Simulators to steer a pirate ship through the Caribbean.
Several new interactive features will be coming to the pool deck. Water play features similar to the Fantasy's AquaLab will be added to the 1,800-square-foot space. Kids can jump around the pop jets, geysers and bubblers. The infants/toddlers splash area will be re-themed around Huey, Dewey, and Louie, Donald's nephews. The Twist N' Spout water slide will let guests twist back and forth across the ship in 250 feet of twists and turns. This slide is for guests between 38 and 64 inches tall.
Brand-new to any Disney ship is the AquaDunk, a three-story body slide! Riders step inside a clear tube and the floor under them opens like a trap door, sending them on a near-vertical drop that will eventually take them 20 feet over the side of the ship. This slide is for guests 48 inches or taller.
Changes are coming to the ship's dining establishments as well.
Animator's Palate will be remodeled with high-def flat screens and animation decorating the walls. The popular Animation Magic show from the Disney Fantasy will be coming as well, giving each guest the chance to become an artist.
A new Brazilian restaurant will be available for guests, bring the spirit of Rio de Janeiro to the ship. Carioca's will be designed like an outdoor marketplace and will be based on Jose, the parrot from The Three Cabelleros. In the daytime this space will have a festival theme and transform at night to the city of Rio, with soft lights and lit lanterns. Carioca's will replace Parrot Cay.
Cabanas will replace Topsider Buffet, which is currently on the ship, and be themed around Finding Nemo. Cabanas is a casual atmosphere during the day and a table-service restaurant in the evening. The restaurant space will also be expanding, giving it 9,460 square feet of space and 455 seats.
Palo, the adults-only dining location, will be getting a makeover reminiscent of a cafe in Venice. Glass artwork, stone floors and red and white striped poles will give the restaurant the illusion of being situated on the canals of the Italian city.
Each ship has an adults-only area with nightclubs and bars. After the Magic remodel, this area will be called "After Hours" and gain O'Gill's Pub from the Disney Fantasy. New clubs will be Fathoms, an undersea-themed club that changes atmosphere as the night goes on and Keys, a laid-back piano bar.
The Vista Spa will change to Senses Spa & Salon and will be upgraded to a more contemporary design, and also be expanded by 725 square feet. Smile Spa, a new addition, will offer teeth whitening services, barbershop services for men and the Chill Spa will cater specifically to teens ages 13 to 17.
D Lounge will replace Studio Sea as the hangout for games, dance parties and family-friendly activities.
These enhancements will take place while the ship is at dry dock September 7 - October 10, 2013 in Cadiz, Spain.
Full photo gallery of artists renderings:
- News Source
- Subscribe to receive DIS Updates and News by email!
- News Feed
- Last Updated: Oct 19, 2014 - 9:25:27 AM
Disney Cruise News Stories
- Disney Cruise Line releases sail dates for early 2016
Two new Caribbean ports have been added.
- Disney Cruise Line honored by Bon Voyage digital magazine
Disney Cruise Line took top honors in several categories.
- Disney Cruise Line and Aulani honored by Travel + Leisure
Results are part of the World's Best Awards 2014.
- Disney Cruise Line releases remainder of 2015 schedule
Sail dates for the remainder of 2015 have been announced.
- Disney Wonder to return to Hawaii in 2015?
Itineraries aren't released yet, but a suspicious entry on the Hawaii port calendars is fueling the rumors.
See AllDIS SITE UPDATES
- 8:15pm Spirit of Aloha show will be cancelled 2/5 and 2/6
- Blizzard Beach to be closed through 2/10
- Disney Fantasy experiencing mechanical trouble; unable to dock at Castaway Cay
- Author book signings to celebrate Black History Month
- SeaWorld Orlando plans Bands, Brew & BBQ Festival
- Yo Ho, Yo Ho, a Pirate's Room for Me!
- Blizzard Beach to be closed 2/5/16
- Disney Springs' Fulton's Crab House to lay off 214 ahead of 6-month refurb
- House arrest mandated for man who tried to bring guns to Disneyland Paris hotel
- Stand and Deliver: Effective Techniques for Vacation Complaints and Conflict Resolution
- Suspects arrested in connection with string of burglaries at Disney's Saratoga Springs
- Official list of bands for Epcot Flower & Garden Festival
- Confirmed: Comcast Corp. purchases 475-acres next to Universal Studios Florida
- Shanghai Disneyland ticket pricing based on demand
- U.S. News & World Report names several Disney hotels "Best in Orlando"
- New candles bring the smell of Disneyland home
- DisneyParks Blog to stream Mickey's Soundsational Parade live from Disneyland
- Disneyland releases details of the new River Belle Terrace menu
- Universal Studios Hollywood adopts new pricing model
- New D23 Gold Member events at Walt Disney World
- Disneyland's Season of the Force extended
- Data breach reported at Yak & Yeti restaurant at Disney's Animal Kingdom
- Top 5 Tips You Need to Know When Booking a Reservation at Be Our Guest Restaurant
- Isn't he too young for Disney World?
- Animal Kingdom's Boneyard to be closed from 2/22 - 3/17/2016
- Club Disney at Disney's Hollywood Studios to close Feb. 6
- Disney Cruise Review: Star Wars Day at Sea, Part 2
- Disney Cruise Line offers 50% off deposit on 7-night sailings
- Several resort pools added to the rehab list
- Disney Cruise Line discounts available for Florida residents and the U.S. Military
- Military discount offered on Transatlantic Disney cruise
- Top 5 Things You Didn't Know About The Magic Kingdom
- Uber to bring option of child car seats to Orlando
- Residents of Super Bowl States offered discount at Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin
- Partial list of bands for Epcot's Garden Rocks Concert Series
- Flying Fish now closed through fall 2016 for remodeling
- Several Disney restaurants honored in Orlando Sentinel's Foodie Awards
- February Walt Disney World Merchandise events and signings
- Beauty and the Beast returning to Disneyland's Royal Theatre
- I Can Go The Distance: All 26.2 Miles of the WDW Marathon
- Classic Afternoon Tea at the Disneyland Hotel
- Disney Parks Blog to live stream Fantasmic! from Hollywood Studios
- Moving walkways and a nearby toll plaza being removed at Orlando International Airport
- Family suing Disney, claiming that grandmother died after boy bitten by snake
- Tables in Wonderland offers Flower & Garden Festival Sneak Peek
- Man with two guns in luggage arrested at Disneyland Paris hotel
- Disney Cruise Review: Star Wars Day at Sea, Part 1
- Disney's ESPN Wide World of Sports to add new venue
- Charging stations added to Grand Floridian pool bars
- Seashore Sweets to close February 1
- Harrison Ford previews Star Wars lands & Elton John performs during Disneyland television special
- New discounts available for the Walt Disney World golf courses
- Joy and Sadness meet and greet to begin in Epcot?
- Rumor: New finale scene coming to Big Thunder Mountain?
- What should you do in Disney's Hollywood Studios during the impending construction?
- Annual passholder discount for La Nouba
- What should you do in Disney's Hollywood Studios during the impending construction?
- Fulton's Crab House: The New Sunday Brunch
- Haunted Mansion (Low-Light 4K POV) | Magic Kingdom
- Disneyland announces Annual Passholder celebration
- Disney chairman Bob Iger says Star Wars and Marvel movies will continue
- Blizzard Beach to be closed 1/27-1/29
- New Disney's Grand Floridian Merchandise is "Practically Perfect" in Every Way
- Nine Dragons celebrates the Year of the Monkey with a new lunch special
- New PhotoPass website and mobile access coming for Disneyland guests
- Federal lawsuits fired by laid-off Disney tech workers
- Florida resident discount available on 7-night Eastern Caribbean cruise
- Is Magic Kingdom's "Skipper Canteen" taking on water?
- Central Florida theme parks report quarterly injuries
- Historic Disneyland building moved to a new location
- Walt Disney World planning Star Wars Rebels meet and greets?
- Aulani to get new high-end neighbor
- CDC issues travel alert for Caribbean due to mosquito-borne illness
- Top 4 Best Places on Walt Disney World property to watch the Super Bowl
- SMS Audio brings super hero headphones to Disney Springs
- Disney honored by Recommend readers
- Afternoon tea coming to Disney's Beach Club Resort
- Changes in management system at Walt Disney World
- 5 Things That Can Get You Kicked Out of Disney Parks
- Latest Construction Photos From Pandora - The World of Avatar and Rivers of Light
- Disneyland Flag Retreat to honor retired Coast Guard Engineer
- Appreciating the Disney Cast Members Who Create Magic Everyday
- Special Valentine's Day menu items at Disneyland
- Zootopia exhibit coming to Animal Kingdom
- Release date for Star Wars: Episode VIII pushed back
- Florida resident and Annual Passholder Cirque du Soleil discounts available
- Annual Passholders can stay for as low as $96/night!
- Current Obsession: Minnie's Wardrobe
- SeaWorld Orlando removes emergency lift floors in whale pools
- VIDEO: Tony's Town Square Restaurant | Magic Kingdom
- 5 Best Attractions for Multi-generational Families in Walt Disney World
- Celebrate Gospel returns to California Adventure
- Disney recalls Darth Vader and Diamond Celebration infant bodysuits
- SeaWorld Orlando cancels beluga interaction program
- Habit Heroes in Epcot's Innoventions is now closed
- Walt Disney World offers discounted tickets for Florida residents
- New Marvel figures leaked for Disney Infinity 3.0 update
- Fulton's Crab House adds new Sunday brunch
- New quick-service meal offer at Walt Disney World
- Free quick-service meal per person, per night with a Walt Disney World package
- Disney Cruise Line adds cheese and fruit plates back to room service menu
- Dining reservations can now be modified online
- The Willis Clan will perform at Raglan Road 1/19-1/22
- Reservations system update taking place for Cinderella's Royal Table
- Modified service for the Walt Disney World monorail
- List of 2016 dark dates for Cirque du Soleil's La Nouba
- 2016 Disney Dining Plan participating restaurants updated
- New acts added to Cirque du Soleil's La Nouba
- Animal Kingdom's Flights of Wonder to be closed from 1/25-3/17
- Buy a 2-day Universal ticket and get the 3rd free!
- Main Street USA in The Magic Kingdom - Stop and Enjoy it!
- 5 Tips To Make The Most Out Of Disney's Photopass Service
- The Magic Kingdom for Annual Passholders
- The Force Awakens villain Kylo Ren coming to Disney Parks
- Earffel Tower being removed from Hollywood Studios
- Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show to close
- Disney World ticket scammer faces the judge
- Plans surface showing Volcano Bay tram road
- Disney World to hire additional personnel to replace private security
- Worst Types of Guests in Disney Parks
- Tangled returns to the Royal Theatre at Disneyland
- Top 5 Planning Threads on DISBoards.com for December 2015
- Disney Cruise Line updates onboard smoking areas
- 7+ Must Haves When Traveling to Disney With a Baby
- 3 Ways Disney Could Improve the Disney Dining Plans
- Disneyland reveals new look coming to Rivers of America
- 5 Ways to Avoid the Big Family Argument on Your Disney World Vacation
- Disney seeks permission from the FAA to use drones
- Tables in Wonderland Field to Feast event
- 5 Ways to Stay Healthy in Walt Disney World
- ILM working on a boat ride for Star Wars land?
- Disneyland Diamond Anniversary special to air on ABC