Enhancements coming to Disney Cruise Line's Magic shipby Leah Zanolla
Apr 26, 2013
Several exciting enhancements were announced for Disney Cruise Line's ship, the Disney Magic.
The grand atrium lobby is the first thing guests see when they enter the Disney Magic, and after this fall's remodel, it will be a completely different view. The lobby will be redesigned with an art deco motif and feature colors of the sea, like coral, blue and aquamarine. The carpet will feature a seashell design. If guests look up, they will notice that the chandelier is meant to act as the sun in this space and golden yellow rays stretch across the ceiling. Currently, there are two curved staircases descending into the atrium. The redesign will leave only one to better enhance the flow of the space; the "Helmsman Mickey" statue will also be moved to a new location in the lobby and will receive a makeover of its own.
Next up is the Oceaneer Club - one of the areas for children age 3-12. The Club will be getting several new experiences, some based on the Oceaneer Club on the Dream and Fantasy and some will be brand-new on the Magic. Disney's Pixie Hollow and Andy's Room from Toy Story, just like on the Dream and Fantasy ships, will come to the Magic. New to any Disney Cruise ship will be Marvel's Avengers Academy. Children will be in charge of a command post directing the Avengers' secret missions and training. Another new addition will be the Mickey Mouse Club, decorated in red, yellow and black. Kids will make crafts and play games, as well as test out Goofy's Gears, an oversized activity center with magnetic, spinning gears to play with.
The other youth clubs will get an overhaul as well. The nursery will be transformed into the It's a Small World nursery, based on the theme park attraction, just like the nurseries on the Disney Dream and Disney Fantasy. The Oceaneer Lab, which is also for kids age 3-12, will get a new pirate-themed area. Kids will use Navigator Simulators to steer a pirate ship through the Caribbean.
Several new interactive features will be coming to the pool deck. Water play features similar to the Fantasy's AquaLab will be added to the 1,800-square-foot space. Kids can jump around the pop jets, geysers and bubblers. The infants/toddlers splash area will be re-themed around Huey, Dewey, and Louie, Donald's nephews. The Twist N' Spout water slide will let guests twist back and forth across the ship in 250 feet of twists and turns. This slide is for guests between 38 and 64 inches tall.
Brand-new to any Disney ship is the AquaDunk, a three-story body slide! Riders step inside a clear tube and the floor under them opens like a trap door, sending them on a near-vertical drop that will eventually take them 20 feet over the side of the ship. This slide is for guests 48 inches or taller.
Changes are coming to the ship's dining establishments as well.
Animator's Palate will be remodeled with high-def flat screens and animation decorating the walls. The popular Animation Magic show from the Disney Fantasy will be coming as well, giving each guest the chance to become an artist.
A new Brazilian restaurant will be available for guests, bring the spirit of Rio de Janeiro to the ship. Carioca's will be designed like an outdoor marketplace and will be based on Jose, the parrot from The Three Cabelleros. In the daytime this space will have a festival theme and transform at night to the city of Rio, with soft lights and lit lanterns. Carioca's will replace Parrot Cay.
Cabanas will replace Topsider Buffet, which is currently on the ship, and be themed around Finding Nemo. Cabanas is a casual atmosphere during the day and a table-service restaurant in the evening. The restaurant space will also be expanding, giving it 9,460 square feet of space and 455 seats.
Palo, the adults-only dining location, will be getting a makeover reminiscent of a cafe in Venice. Glass artwork, stone floors and red and white striped poles will give the restaurant the illusion of being situated on the canals of the Italian city.
Each ship has an adults-only area with nightclubs and bars. After the Magic remodel, this area will be called "After Hours" and gain O'Gill's Pub from the Disney Fantasy. New clubs will be Fathoms, an undersea-themed club that changes atmosphere as the night goes on and Keys, a laid-back piano bar.
The Vista Spa will change to Senses Spa & Salon and will be upgraded to a more contemporary design, and also be expanded by 725 square feet. Smile Spa, a new addition, will offer teeth whitening services, barbershop services for men and the Chill Spa will cater specifically to teens ages 13 to 17.
D Lounge will replace Studio Sea as the hangout for games, dance parties and family-friendly activities.
These enhancements will take place while the ship is at dry dock September 7 - October 10, 2013 in Cadiz, Spain.
Full photo gallery of artists renderings:
- News Source
- Subscribe to receive DIS Updates and News by email!
- News Feed
- Last Updated: Oct 19, 2014 - 9:25:27 AM
Disney Cruise News Stories
- Disney Cruise Line releases sail dates for early 2016
Two new Caribbean ports have been added.
- Disney Cruise Line honored by Bon Voyage digital magazine
Disney Cruise Line took top honors in several categories.
- Disney Cruise Line and Aulani honored by Travel + Leisure
Results are part of the World's Best Awards 2014.
- Disney Cruise Line releases remainder of 2015 schedule
Sail dates for the remainder of 2015 have been announced.
- Disney Wonder to return to Hawaii in 2015?
Itineraries aren't released yet, but a suspicious entry on the Hawaii port calendars is fueling the rumors.
See AllDIS SITE UPDATES
- Trader Sam's now officially open at Disney's Polynesian Village Resort
- Big Thunder Mountain begins 4 day rehab
- Free Dining discount released for the General Public
- Walt Disney World FREE DINING Basics and FAQ's
- Getting to grips with MyMagic+
- What is Your Family's Ideal Number of Days at Disney?
- World of Color Late-Night Breakfast Package for the 24-Hour Party
- Be Our Guest breakfast test extended through July 18
- Expedition Everest Challenge will end after this year
- Concierge staterooms to have binoculars on Mediterranean/European and Alaska sailings
- Our family's must-do's on Disney Cruise Line
- Dockside Margaritas opening at Downtown Disney today
- Family Dining at Disney’s Hollywood Studios for $100 a Day
- Teen Beach 2 Beach Party coming to Typhoon Lagoon
- Man arrested for climbing over fence into Universal Studios
- Disney Cruise Line Navigator app's Onboard Chat feature now active on all 4 ships
- Happy 17th Birthday to Disney's Animal Kingdom!
- Mother's Day dining at Walt Disney World
- Dead Men Tell No Tales this Summer
- Universal Orlando announces 25th Anniversary Concert Series
- Military discounts available for Eastern Caribbean sailing on Disney Cruise Line
- Pirates of the Caribbean rehab moved back to June 8
- DISAPALOOZA Diagon Alley Party - December 05, 2015
- What are your favorite souvenirs from Disney?
- Best Places To Take Mid-Day Breaks Within EPCOT
- Coronado Springs Business Class, Worth it or Not?
- Why You Should Plan To Divert From Your "Plan"
- Innoventions West exhibits closing April 29
- Sounds Like Summer Concert Series performers and dates announced
- Blog - Downtown Disney Construction Update
- Creating A Theme Park Adventure
- The Great Reveal Debate: When to tell the kids about your Disney vacation
- Mother's Day offerings at the Disneyland Resort
- American Ninja Warrior taping at Universal Orlando in May
- Dockside Margaritas opening at Downtown Disney April 23
- Universal Orlando raising employees' base pay
- Prices increase for Pirates League on the Disney Fantasy
- Walt Disney World for Teens
- Disney Springs' "World Showcase of Flavors"
- Disney Cruise Line raises prices at Palo and Remy
- Blog - The Universal Day - Islands of Adventure
- A Few Obscure Things That Could Ruin Your Disney Vacation
- Spending the afternoon at a hidden gem: Tom Sawyer Island
- The Whole World and Beyond - In 27 Square Miles!
- Frozen Summer Fun Premium Packages now available
- Adventures by Disney Insiders eligible for one free hotel night
- Adventures by Disney announces Danube River Cruise
- it's a small world closes for rehab
- VIDEO: Peter Pan's Flight Pre-2015 Refurb POV at Disneyland
- Be Our Guest breakfast can now be pre-ordered
- Menu for The BOATHOUSE at Downtown Disney
- Florida residents can take advantage of Disney Cruise Line discounts
- Walt Disney World's Jungle Cruise closes for refurb
- The BOATHOUSE opens today at Downtown Disney
- 4 Reasons Why Disney Should Consider Bringing Back 3 Of The Original Hotel Concepts
- Five Things You Should Know Before Visiting Disneyland Paris
- Dooney & Bourke release at Downtown Disney
- Disney Myth buster: A Disney Vacation is Too Expensive
- This Dad's Disney "Duh" Moments
- Sleeper Pick, Best Resort for Tots: Bay Lake Tower
- Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party tickets now on sale
- Night of Joy tickets now available
- Tickets now on sale for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party
- ABD Providing Transfers from Airport for Pre- and Post-night Stays
- What's in your Disney park bag?
- Premium packages and VIP tour details for Star Wars Weekends
- Discounted Disney Cruise Line rates released for the general public
- Main pool reopened at Disney's Polynesian Village Resort
- Main pool at Contemporary Resort to be closed in September
- Convenient dining options near the Disney World parks
- Tables in Wonderland special dining events announced
- Kids stay free with a four night stay at Cabana Bay Beach Resort