Enhancements coming to Disney Cruise Line's Magic shipby Leah Zanolla
Apr 26, 2013
Several exciting enhancements were announced for Disney Cruise Line's ship, the Disney Magic.
The grand atrium lobby is the first thing guests see when they enter the Disney Magic, and after this fall's remodel, it will be a completely different view. The lobby will be redesigned with an art deco motif and feature colors of the sea, like coral, blue and aquamarine. The carpet will feature a seashell design. If guests look up, they will notice that the chandelier is meant to act as the sun in this space and golden yellow rays stretch across the ceiling. Currently, there are two curved staircases descending into the atrium. The redesign will leave only one to better enhance the flow of the space; the "Helmsman Mickey" statue will also be moved to a new location in the lobby and will receive a makeover of its own.
Next up is the Oceaneer Club - one of the areas for children age 3-12. The Club will be getting several new experiences, some based on the Oceaneer Club on the Dream and Fantasy and some will be brand-new on the Magic. Disney's Pixie Hollow and Andy's Room from Toy Story, just like on the Dream and Fantasy ships, will come to the Magic. New to any Disney Cruise ship will be Marvel's Avengers Academy. Children will be in charge of a command post directing the Avengers' secret missions and training. Another new addition will be the Mickey Mouse Club, decorated in red, yellow and black. Kids will make crafts and play games, as well as test out Goofy's Gears, an oversized activity center with magnetic, spinning gears to play with.
The other youth clubs will get an overhaul as well. The nursery will be transformed into the It's a Small World nursery, based on the theme park attraction, just like the nurseries on the Disney Dream and Disney Fantasy. The Oceaneer Lab, which is also for kids age 3-12, will get a new pirate-themed area. Kids will use Navigator Simulators to steer a pirate ship through the Caribbean.
Several new interactive features will be coming to the pool deck. Water play features similar to the Fantasy's AquaLab will be added to the 1,800-square-foot space. Kids can jump around the pop jets, geysers and bubblers. The infants/toddlers splash area will be re-themed around Huey, Dewey, and Louie, Donald's nephews. The Twist N' Spout water slide will let guests twist back and forth across the ship in 250 feet of twists and turns. This slide is for guests between 38 and 64 inches tall.
Brand-new to any Disney ship is the AquaDunk, a three-story body slide! Riders step inside a clear tube and the floor under them opens like a trap door, sending them on a near-vertical drop that will eventually take them 20 feet over the side of the ship. This slide is for guests 48 inches or taller.
Changes are coming to the ship's dining establishments as well.
Animator's Palate will be remodeled with high-def flat screens and animation decorating the walls. The popular Animation Magic show from the Disney Fantasy will be coming as well, giving each guest the chance to become an artist.
A new Brazilian restaurant will be available for guests, bring the spirit of Rio de Janeiro to the ship. Carioca's will be designed like an outdoor marketplace and will be based on Jose, the parrot from The Three Cabelleros. In the daytime this space will have a festival theme and transform at night to the city of Rio, with soft lights and lit lanterns. Carioca's will replace Parrot Cay.
Cabanas will replace Topsider Buffet, which is currently on the ship, and be themed around Finding Nemo. Cabanas is a casual atmosphere during the day and a table-service restaurant in the evening. The restaurant space will also be expanding, giving it 9,460 square feet of space and 455 seats.
Palo, the adults-only dining location, will be getting a makeover reminiscent of a cafe in Venice. Glass artwork, stone floors and red and white striped poles will give the restaurant the illusion of being situated on the canals of the Italian city.
Each ship has an adults-only area with nightclubs and bars. After the Magic remodel, this area will be called "After Hours" and gain O'Gill's Pub from the Disney Fantasy. New clubs will be Fathoms, an undersea-themed club that changes atmosphere as the night goes on and Keys, a laid-back piano bar.
The Vista Spa will change to Senses Spa & Salon and will be upgraded to a more contemporary design, and also be expanded by 725 square feet. Smile Spa, a new addition, will offer teeth whitening services, barbershop services for men and the Chill Spa will cater specifically to teens ages 13 to 17.
D Lounge will replace Studio Sea as the hangout for games, dance parties and family-friendly activities.
These enhancements will take place while the ship is at dry dock September 7 - October 10, 2013 in Cadiz, Spain.
Full photo gallery of artists renderings:
- News Source
- Subscribe to receive DIS Updates and News by email!
- News Feed
- Last Updated: Oct 19, 2014 - 9:25:27 AM
Disney Cruise News Stories
- Disney Cruise Line releases sail dates for early 2016
Two new Caribbean ports have been added.
- Disney Cruise Line honored by Bon Voyage digital magazine
Disney Cruise Line took top honors in several categories.
- Disney Cruise Line and Aulani honored by Travel + Leisure
Results are part of the World's Best Awards 2014.
- Disney Cruise Line releases remainder of 2015 schedule
Sail dates for the remainder of 2015 have been announced.
- Disney Wonder to return to Hawaii in 2015?
Itineraries aren't released yet, but a suspicious entry on the Hawaii port calendars is fueling the rumors.
See AllDIS SITE UPDATES
- A step by step guide to eating at a Disney quick service location
- What Walt Disney World Extras are Worth Splurging On?
- VIDEO: Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough | 4K POV
- Universal Orlando Black Friday Sale
- Van stolen from Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
- SeaWorld offering discounts on Black Friday
- World Showcase to offer special treats for the holidays
- The Ganachery will open December 15 at Disney Springs
- Family's Guide to Universal: Universal Orlando's Horror Make-Up Show
- Character dance parties at Disney's Hollywood Studios for the holidays
- Time schedule for Epcot's Holiday Storytellers
- New seasonal menu items at Steakhouse 55
- Free Breakfast for 2 at Loews Sapphire Falls Resort Deal
- VIDEO: it's a small world Holiday Lighting Ceremony 2015
- Acoustical group Quickstep to begin in Epcot's UK Pavilion
- 4 Insanely Dangerous Things Parents do at Walt Disney World
- Picking the Right Park for Each Day of Your Disney World Vacation
- Epcot's Canadian Lumberjack Show ending 11/24
- VIDEO: Star Wars Launch Bay Information
- 3 Reasons to Appreciate Classic Disney World Attractions
- How does a Magic Kingdom haircut sound?
- Data breach reported at the Walt Disney World Dolphin Hotel
- Sunday brunch is now available at Narcoossee's
- 3 Reasons Why Construction at Walt Disney World is Good
- A new exhibit, Colortopia, opens in Epcot
- Fastpass added for Flights of Wonder at Animal Kingdom
- Typhoon Lagoon to be closed 11/23
- 10 Reasons Why the Disney Parks Still Make Us Smile
- December 18 sold out for Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party
- Paint The Night dining packages starting in January
- Tiffins restaurant coming to Animal Kingdom in 2016
- My Worst Disneyland Trip EVER! (But Still Rather Magical, Of Course)
- Aulani to offer Christmas Dinner in the Kaiona Ballroom
- 2016's Flower & Garden Festival dates to be extended
- 3 Best Ways to Save Time in Walt Disney World
- Great Wolf Lodge may be coming to Disney World area
- BBQ coming to River Belle Terrace at Disneyland
- 3 Healthy and Delicious Quick Service Meals at Walt Disney World
- UberBlack now allowed to pick up from Orlando International Airport
- Why We Keep Coming Back to Walt Disney World
- Monorail crash at Walt Disney World; no guests on board
- Do you want to spend the Ultimate day at the Beach?
- New activities added at Sandcastle Club and Lilo's Playhouse Child Care Centers
- All-Star Movies Resort lobby briefly evacuated
- VIDEO: Hyperspace Mountain with Tom Bell
- Universal Studios Hollywood raises price for annual pass
- Why do you cruise Disney?
- A Delicious Journey Down Spice Road
- Save up to 30% on a stay at Aulani
- Lost Christmas Celebrations at Walt Disney World
- Osborne Lights to be live streamed on Nov. 18
- Disneyland Paris to reopen Wednesday after Paris tragedy
- Walt Disney World to accept digital Disney gift cards
- Is there value in a ticket for Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party?
- Epcot's Captain EO to end December 6 and be replaced with Pixar short films
- Glidden opens Colortopia exhibit in Innoventions East
- Exclusive Star Wars Imperial Meet 'n' Greet for Disney Visa cardholders
- The Misunderstood ABC Commissary
- Season of The Force at Disneyland
- A Few Problems Adults Have at Walt Disney World
- Disney's Victoria & Albert's receives 16th AAA Five Diamond distinction
- 5 Things to Avoid at Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party
- 4 Things To Know While Planning Your First Trip To Walt Disney World
- May 2016 Walt Disney World Park Hours
- Dinosaur Dance Party comes to Disney Springs to celebrate "The Good Dinosaur"
- Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party Photos
- Why Rides Stop At Walt Disney World
- Holiday Minnie package available at Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique
- Itinerary change for 12/23 sailing on the Disney Magic from Miami
- Film Talent Announced for a Celebration of Harry Potter 2016
- VIDEO: VoicePlay | Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party 2015
- Former Disneyland Cast Member sentenced for sex-for-tickets crimes
- Orlando-area Westgate Resort honoring veterans with chance for free vacation
- Highlights of the 2015 Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party
- Blog - Disneyland Small World ADA Lawsuit Finally Sails
- New Finding Dory trailer released
- Disney Cruise Line honored by U.S. News & World Report
- Additional resort pool rehabs scheduled
- VIDEO: Christmas Medley with Santa Stitch & Friends
- Military discounts available on Disney Cruise Line
- VIDEO: Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party 2015
- Disney Springs’ Planet Hollywood announces layoffs for 468 employees
- Walt Disney World Swan & Dolphin Hotel plans "Santa's Favorite Resort" holiday festivities
- SeaWorld San Diego to replace Shamu show by 2017
- Star Wars Weekends will not be held due to construction; New Star Wars experiences debut December 1
- Another luxury hotel planned for Anaheim
- Top 5 Unwritten Rules of a Disney Park
- Garden Grill now open for character breakfast and lunch
- Film shot in secret at the Magic Kingdom -
- Discounted Disney cruise rates released for the general public
- Adventures by Disney Insiders can save $300
- Disney Springs parking lots and garages to be named after Florida fruits
- Disney reports positive numbers in the fourth quarter
- Schedule for the Electical Water Pageant adjusted through December
- Na'vi River Journey coming to Pandora - The World of AVATAR
- SeaWorld releases quarterly financial report
- Disney Parks Blog to live stream A Frozen Holiday Wish
- Twenty Eight & Main opens at Marketplace Co-Op
- Disneyland adds temporary bridge in New Orleans Square
- Review: Shake Shack on International Drive
- VIDEO: The Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights 2015 | Disney's Hollywood Studios
- Exclusive Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom card for Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party
- A Sneak Peek at A “Frozen” Holiday Wish at Magic Kingdom
- Star Wars Launch Bay rumored to be soft-opening on November 27
- Disneyland adds new Ghirardelli shop to Downtown Disney
- Disney Cruise Line offers military discounts
- SeaWorld Orlando releases logo for new roller coaster and 2016 calendar of events
- Knott's Berry Farm begins preparations for Ghost Town's 75th
- ESPN Club reopens with a new menu
- SeaWorld Orlando raises ticket prices by $2
- Why You Need To See The Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights This Year
- Breakfast with Santa at Catal in Downtown Disney
- Review: Pirate's Cove Adventure Golf
- SeaWorld Orlando plans their annual Christmas Celebration
- November Walt Disney World Merchandise events and signings
- New Resort Rapid Fill mugs available at Walt Disney World Resorts
- Blog - Disney Asks Court to Dismiss Autism/DAS Lawsuit
- Travel agents' commission amount cut by Disney Cruise Line
- Former Disney president Meg Crofton honored with a window on Main Street U.S.A.
- Making Magical Memories Without Disney's Memory Maker
- Disney Parks continue partnership with the Orlando Magic
- Disney Cruise Line chosen as Number 1 Large Ship Line by Conde Nast
- Treating Cast Members with Respect
- "A Grand Brunch at 1900 Park Fare" to take place over the holiday season.
- Gasparilla Grill introduces a different gourmet hot dog for each day of the week
- Disney Dream returns to the seas after dry dock
- Schedule for Minnie's Seasonal Dine through next Halloween
- Construction permits surface for Disney's Hollywood Studios
- Club Villain coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios in January
- Free admission for first responders at Knott's Berry Farm
- Several Thanksgiving meals planned at Aulani
- 5 Tips for Disney World Straight from the Mouths of Kids
- Race Through New York Starring Jimmy Fallon coming to Universal in 2017
- Guests who loved Disney to Death
- Splash Mountain to be closed for a few days in January
- Several resort pools closed through early next year
- Reservations now open for Minnie's Seasonal Dine
- Save up to 20% this winter on rooms at the Disneyland Resort
- Annual Passholders to receive 10% discount at Morimoto ASIA
- Military discount available on cruises to the Bahamas out of Galveston
- 4 Reasons Why EPCOT's Future World Needs To Change
- Victoria & Albert's honored by TripAdvisor
- Disney security guard denied attorney's fees after suing Walt Disney World