Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside address:
1251 Riverside Drive
Lake Buena Vista, FL, 32830
Phone: 407-934-6000 | Fax: 407-934-5777
Check In: 3PM | Check Out: 11AM
Maximum persons per room: 4 (plus child in crib)
Maximum persons per room: 4 (2 if booking a King room)
Number of rooms: 2048
Room size: 314 Sq Ft.
Charge for 3rd and 4th guest: $15 per night / per guest
Credit Cards accepted: Disney Gift Card, Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, JCB
Port Orleans Riverside Overview
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside is themed around the antebellum south along the Missisippi river. The resort started life in 1992 as "Dixie Landings". In 2001 Disney changed the name to Port Orleans Riverside. This massive resort is divided into two distinct sections - Magnolia Bend and Aligator Bayou. Magnolia Bend consists of four - two and three story plantation-style mansions. Aligator Bayou is comprised of 16 two story rustic, cajun-style buildings. In all, the resort has 2048 rooms spread over nearly 200 acres of land. The grounds are lined with oak and magnolia trees, along with azalea, camellia and rose bushes creating an atmosphere of relaxed southern charm. The Sassagoula river runs through the resort and provides transportation to Port Orleans French Quarter, as well as Downtown Disney marketplace and West Side. The food court here is called Riverside Mill, and while similar to what is offered at Port Orleans French Quarter, the food wasn't quite as good. This resort also has a full service restaurant, Boatwrights - which in our estimation is among the worst on property. In contrast however, we found the rooms at Port Orleans Riverside the best of any of Disney's moderates. The decor and style convey a relaxed, comfortable elegance that fits in perfectly with the overall feel of the resort. Even though the resort is large, it manages to keep a feeling of intamacy and charm and is arguably the best of Disney's moderate resort category and certainly among the best of any Disney resort in Orlando.
Of all of Disney's moderate resorts, Port Orleans Riverside feel the most comfortable and the most elegant. Muted tones of moss green and wedgewood blue sit in excellent contrast to the dark wood headboards which depict scenes from around the resort. Each room has two queen size beds (Mattresses are Sealy Posturepedic Monogram series 400 plush) and make for a comfortable nights sleep - especially after a long day in the parks. Rooms in all Disney moderate resorts feature H20 bath products (shampoo, conditioner and soaps). An upgraded version of the H20 product is avaialble in the gift shop. Rooms have flat screen televisions with convenient access to HDMI ports as well as audio and video inputs. This is convenient if you bring along video game systems for the kids or if you like to plug in your camcorder to review your video footage from the trip. Rooms here also have a small mini-fridge, wall safe (not large enough to hold a laptop though), coffee maker, iron and ironing board, and hair dryer.
All rooms sleep a maximum of 4 (plus one child in a crib), except King rooms which sleep 2. Room categories include Standard view, Garden View, Preferred Room, Water View and King Bed room. There is an additional charge for more than two adults in a room ($15 per person, per night)
Disney's published rack rate for a standard room at Port Orleans Riverside ranges from $162 per night in value season to $253 per night in the peak holiday season. Generally speaking, an upgrade to a Garden view room is an additional $10 per night over the price of a standard and an upgrade to a Preferred, Water View or King Bed room is $25 per night more than the cost of a standard room. Those rates fluctuate throughout the year, and this is a general outline of pricing. For published rates, go to http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/disney-rates.htm
Disney Dining Plan: Food purchased at the Riverside Mill uses counter services credits from the Disney Dining Plan. Most bakery items are considered snack credits . There are a few bakery items that are not available as snack credits, including specialty coffees. Meals at Boatwrights Dining Hall use one table service credit per meal. You can add the Disney Dining plan to a Magic Your Way package.
Riverside Mill: Themed after a cotton mill, the Riverside Mill serves as the resorts food court. Five seperate stations offer everything from fresh baked goods to chicken, hamburgers, pizza, a carving station and more. There is also a grab-and-go area for pre-wrapped sandwiches, snacks, bottled water, soda and desserts.
NOTE: Room service is limited to pizza, salads, soft drinks and beer which are available from 4 p.m. to midnight.
Boatwrights Dining Hall is a full service restaurant offering cajun-style cuisine. Menu items include Chicken and Andouille Gumbo, Blackened fish, Jambalaya as well as more traditional dishes like grilled pork chops, grilled tenderloin medallions and slow roasted prime rib. Boatwrights has been a consistent disappointment in our recent visits . The seafood dishes seem to be better received than the non-seafood dishes, which seemed to be of low quality and poor preperation.
- Boatwrights menu
- Boatwrights Review Read reviews from other DIS visitors on Boatwrights, or leave your own.
The River Roost Lounge offers appetizers such as beef nachos and buffalo chicken nuggets. The lounge features live entertainment by Bob Jackson Wednesday through Saturday evenings. It is a piano sing-a-long comedy routine. Bob has the energy of 10 eight year old children and does not take a break until an hour and a half into his show. It’s quite lively and extremely entertaining for the whole family with tons of audience participation. The place fills up quick, so get there before the show starts at 8:30pm. He’s been doing this at Port Orleans Riverside since 1997 and you can find his schedule on his website. http://www.yehaabob.com.
Services for Kids: Recreation activities - These vary by season, but this is really one place where Disney shines. If you have a day where you just want to hang out by the pool, rest assured there will be games and activities throughout the day to entertain the kids. Some of the poolside activities that take place at Port Orleans Riverside are Close Counts, Disney Trivia, Notable Quotables, and more. The Ol' Man Island Pool Party takes place daily as well as the Best on the Bayo Dance Off. There is also the "Campfire on de'Bayou' adjacent to the childrens playground on Ol' Man Island near the main pool. Movies under the Stars are offered each night (weather permitting) in the courtyard at Building 90 / Oak Manor. The Bayou Pirate Adventure is also available from Port Orleans Riverside for an additional charge.
The Medicine Show Arcade is located in the main building and offers a wide range of games suitable to all age groups.
Babysitting Services - Babysitting is available through Kids Nite Out, Inc. - which is not owned or operated by Disney. Caregivers provide in-room services which include playing games, reading, and generally entertaining your kids. Services are also available through Kids Nite Out to plan parties and special events. Advanced reservations are required and services are available 24 hours per day. There is a 4 hour minimum for children 6 months to 12 years old. Cancellations must be made 24 hours in advance to avoid the 4 hour minimum cancellation fee. Reservations can be made by calling 407-828-0920.
There are a total of 6 pools at Port Orleans Riverside, with the main pool located on Ol' Man Island. The pools main feature is the 95 foot water slide. The main pool is themed to resemble an old fashioned swimming hole - with water falling from various 'old' wooden structures. There is a seperate kiddie pool and a hot tub located here as well. The Muddy Rivers pool bar serves light snacks and alcoholic beverages.
The remaining 5 quiet pools' are located throughout the property (two pools located in the Magnolia Bend section and three located in the Alligator Bayou section). These pools are open 24 hours a day and do not have lifeguards on duty. There are changing rooms, restrooms, and laundry facilities at each of the 5 pools.
The huge Live Oak tree on Ol’ Man Island was relocated from the current site of Disney’s Animal Kingdom Park. It is the largest living Live Oak tree ever to be transplanted.
Fishing excursions - 2 hour guided fishing excursions are available along the Sassagoula River. Fishing equipment is provided and 24 hour advanced reservations are strongly recommended. You can reserve a fishing excursion by asking your Dreams Unlimited Travel agent or by calling 407-WDW-PLAY. For current information and pricing on fishing excursions around Walt Disney World, click here.
The Fishing Hole - You can fish for bluegill and perch at the Ol’ Man Island Fishin' Hole (a fully stocked catch and release pond). You can rent individual cane poles or you can choose the Family cane pole fishing adventure, for up to 6 people that costs around $13 per half hour.
Bike Rentals - Bicycles and Surrey bikes (which seat 4 people) are available for rent by the half hour and can be rented directly at the marina or by calling recreation from your in-room phone. Advance reservations are not required.
Boat Rentals - Sun tracker pontoon boats, Boston Whaler Montauk boats and Sea Raycer water sprites are available for rent by the half hour at the marina. Certain age restrictions apply. Rentals can be arranged at the marina, which is located just behind the main building. You can pilot boats up the Sassagoula river, which will take you to Port Orleans French Quarter, Old Key West, and the Downtown Disney area. You can not dock your boat at any of these other locations, but its an incredibly scenic ride to take.
Horse Drawn Carriage Rides - The Horse Drawn Carriage ride is a great way to see the property at night. 25 minute horse drawn carriage rides around the resort are available nightly from 6:00pm to 9:30pm (weather permitting). Carriages can seat up to four adults, or two adults and three children. Tickets are sold directly by the carriage drivers and only cash or Disney room charge is accepted (no credit cards). For advanced reservations call 407-WDW-PLAY and for same day reservations call 407-824-2832 (walk-ups may be available).
Water launch service is available to Downtown Disney Marketplace/West Side from the marina. There are four bus stops at Port Orleans Riverside, the North, South, East and West depots. The East depot is located behind building 85, the North depot behind buidling 80, the west depot behind building 25, the south depot outside the main building. Bus service is shared with Port Orleans French Quarter and there are times when the wait for a bus can be lengthy, especially during busier times of the year.
- Full list of celebrities attending Star Wars Weekends 2014 - New on the list this year are Mark Hamill and John Ratzenberger.
- Race dates for Disney's Marathon Weekend and Princess Half Marathon - List of all the individual race dates for both weekends.
- Happy 50th anniversary to it's a small world! - it's a small world opened at the New York World's Fair on April 22, 1964.
- Blog - Review: Epcot After Hours Wind Down
- Registration opens for the 2015 Walt Disney World Marathon - Registration spots for the races fill up quickly. If you know for sure you want to participate in one of the events, we recommend you register as soon as possible.
- Happy 16th anniversary to Disney's Animal Kingdom - Disney's Animal Kingdom opened on April 22, 1998 - Earth Day.
- Thinking about booking your trip with a travel agent? - Why it's important to book with a travel agent that specializes in Disney vacations.
- Anna and Elsa meet and greet moves to Magic Kingdom today - These popular princesses will no longer be seen in Epcot's Norway pavilion.
- Planning to be at Disney World on Easter? - List of church services, dinners and special activities taking place at Walt Disney World on Easter.
- Blog - Ranking our 5 Senses in Disney's Theme Parks
- Spots still available at Tables in Wonderland event on April 19 - This buffet will bring Tables in Wonderland members together during the Festival for dinner and drinks, then you will head to the Flower Power Concert series to hear the sounds of The Grass Roots.
- Menu items for Epcot After Hours Wind Down - Tickets, which can be reserved in advance, include one beverage and a selection of light snacks.
- Rehabs planned for two of Disney's golf courses - Disney's Magnolia Golf Course and Disney's Oak Trail Golf Course will be closed 5/21 - 6/4/2014.
- Guests at the Swan and Dolphin can now book their FastPass+ 60 days in advance - Onsite resort guests and guests at the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin can make FastPass+ reservations up to 60 days in advance. Annual Passholders and offsite guests can make their reservations up to 30 days in advance.
- Blog - Actors Fund Gala Tickets Honoring Disney Theatricals on Sale Now
- Changes to Earl of Sandwich menu - Prices have increased by about 50 cents per sandwich. New sandwiches have been added and others have been removed.
- Epcot After Hours Wind Down lounges to be available - Stick around after IllumiNations for an evening at one of 4 exclusive lounges featuring food and beverages from award-winning Epcot chefs and sommeliers.
- Annual passholders can save up to 35% on WDW hotels, plus get free Memory Maker photos! - Guests will save up to 35% on their room, plus get free Memory Maker digital photos. Discount is valid for travel between 6/16/14 - 8/2/14.
- Blog - VIDEO: Disney reveals first look at animatronics and scenes inside Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
- Meet the Easter Bunny at the Magic Kingdom April 13-20 - The Easter Bunny will also have a special pre-parade appearance on 4/19 and 4/20/14. He will be joined by other springtime characters, dancers and the Azalea Trail Maids.
- Carbon-Freeze Me experience at Star Wars Weekends to offer X-Wing Pilots and more - In addition to the carbonite figure, last year's Stormtrooper will be available, as well as two new figurines - an Alderaan Princess and X-Wing Pilot.
- Blog - Third Annual Easter Egg Display at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
- Easter activities and special dining menus at Walt Disney World resorts - List of events planned at Walt Disney World resorts.
- Blog - Disney Infinity Teases Marvel & Confirms Version 2.0
- October 2014 Walt Disney World park hours released - List of times for parades, fireworks, and park hours.
- Blog - What To Expect When You're...Cruising with Disney and a Baby: Part 2
- Big Thunder Mountain closed for 2 days for rehab - The attraction will be closed 4/7-4/9/14.
- Surprising your family with a trip to Disney? Check out our tips! - Surprising the kids with a Disney vacation is part of the thrill for some parents. Others would love to do it, but aren’t sure how to pull it off. Here are some different approaches to creating that special surprise for your family!
- Blog - New Lawsuit Attacks Disney’s New Disability Access Service
- VIDEO: Illuminations Sparkling Dessert Party at Epcot - Enjoy a special fireworks viewing area and desserts from around World Showcase paired with sparkling wines.
- Tables in Wonderland event at Golden Oak's Markham's restaurant - For this special evening, guests will dine at the exclusive Markham's restaurant at Disney's Golden Oak Club, Walt Disney World's private residential community.
- Blog - Review: Epcot's new IllumiNations Sparkling Dessert Party
- Blog - Review: Epcot Gardens of the World Tour
- Dates announced for Sounds Like Summer Concert series - The Sounds Like Summer Concert Series features some of the greatest tribute bands rockin' to U2, The Bee Gees, the Eagles and many more during select nights from June to July.
- Night of Joy tickets now on sale - Disney's Night of Joy features contemporary Christian performers. The star-studded lineup is always outstanding and features a host of Dove Award and Grammy Award winning artists.
- Blog - DVC Owner To File Class Action Demanding More FastPass+ Experiences
- Blog - Walt Disney World is now selling MagicBands to Offsite Day Guests
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - World Showcase - The American Adventure - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at World Showcase - The American Adventure, February 12, 2014 - Afternoon.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - World Showcase - Italy - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at World Showcase - Italy, February 12, 2014 - Afternoon
- Parking prices increase at Walt Disney World - Prices have increased $2 for each category.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Echo Lake - Academy Hall of Fame - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Echo Lake - Academy Hall of Fame, February 12, 2014 - Morning
- Cirque du Soleil discount offered for Tables in Wonderland members - Discounted tickets are available for performances April 1-May 10 and May 27-June 28, 2014.
- Tables in Wonderland Flower and Garden Festival Special Dining Event - This buffet will bring Tables in Wonderland members together during the Festival for dinner and drinks, then you will head to the Flower Power Concert series to hear the sounds of The Grass Roots.
- Fittipaldi Cup racing event planned for Walt Disney World Speedway - The Exotic Driving Experience and 2014 Rolex 24 winner Christian Fittipaldi are putting on a half-day racing event at the Walt Disney World Speedway.
- Grand Floridian hosts Edible Easter Egg Display - This is the third year the resort has hosted the display of hand-painted edible Easter eggs; the eggs are 16 to 20 inches tall.
- Star Wars-themed character meals at Hollywood Studios! - For a limited time, guests will have the opportunity to dine with Star Wars characters or Disney characters dressed up in their Star Wars costumes.
- New 2015 Disney Crusie Line Destinations - Disney Cruise Line has added new destinations for 2015! For the first time, the Disney Magic will set sail for Northern Europe, visiting the Norwegian fjords, Iceland and the Faroe Islands. Seven- and nine-night sailings will depart from Copenhagen, Denmark and will immerse guests in the Viking history of this mystical land, which served as the backdrop for Disney's blockbuster film Frozen. Sail past mountains, glaciers, geysers and fjords and stop in port cities reminiscent of storybook villages.
- Kouzzina by Cat Cora to close September 30 - A new restaurant will open in its place this fall.
- Blog - Saying Farewell to Mickey's Jammin' Jungle Parade at Animal Kingdom
- Blog - The Dream of Retiring to Central Florida
- Egg-stravaganza Easter egg hunt planned for Epcot - Search for special hidden Disney character "eggs" at Epcot.
- Blog - Review: “Muppets Most Wanted” Now Touring Worldwide and in Theaters!
- Blog - Five Reasons You Should Go See 'Muppets Most Wanted' This Weekend
- Mark Hamill - Luke Skywalker - will be attending Star Wars Weekends! - This will be the actor's first appearance at Star Wars Weekends.
- PEEPS-themed Easter events planned for the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin - The resort will be celebrating a PEEPtastic week 4/16 - 4/20/14.
- Brunch planned to debut new Disney Collection by Vera Bradley design - "Mickey's Perfect Petals" will be showcased at the brunch and will be available for purchase.
- Blog - New Frozen Merchandise at Disney Parks
- Extended preview of Maleficent film at Disney's Hollywood Studios - The upcoming Maleficent film, starring Angelina Jolie, opens in theaters May 30. Theme park guests can see an extended preview of the film beginning April 18 and running through mid-June.
- Food Truck Park to open at Downtown Disney - The Food Truck Park is currently under construction and should open this summer between Bongos and Starbucks.
- Blog - Review: Disney's 'Saving Mr. Banks' Now Available On Blu-ray, DVD, & Digital Download
- Blog - Review: "Frozen" Blu-ray Hits Shelves
- Blog - Top 10 Reasons Why March 18th Is The Best Day Ever For Disney Fans
- Cell phone charging stations added to Magic Kingdom
- Today Show to film at Universal Orlando on Friday
- James Cameron pleased with Disney's Avatar Land design
- Disney one of the world's most disappointing destinations?
- Universal Orlando painters sent to hospital
- Kickstarter campaign hopes to raise money for "Dark Side of Disney" film
- Disney plans four Star Wars children's books
- SeaWorld Orlando offers summer camps for kids
- Walt Disney World offers new contract to unions
- Disneyland restaurants honored by food critics
Today's Theme Park Hours
Epcot Future World:
Epcot World Showcase:
|9:00 - 11:00
9:00 - 9:00
11:00 - 9:00
9:00 - 9:30
9:00 - 8:00
10:00 - 6:00
10:00 - 6:00
Extra Magic Hours Morning: Magic Kingdom
Extra Magic Hour Evening: Hollywood Studios