Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside address:
1251 Riverside Drive
Lake Buena Vista, FL, 32830
Phone: 407-934-6000 | Fax: 407-934-5777
Check In: 3PM | Check Out: 11AM
Maximum persons per room: 4 (plus child in crib)
Maximum persons per room: 4 (2 if booking a King room)
Number of rooms: 2048
Room size: 314 Sq Ft.
Charge for 3rd and 4th guest: $15 per night / per guest
Credit Cards accepted: Disney Gift Card, Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, JCB
Port Orleans Riverside Overview
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside is themed around the antebellum south along the Missisippi river. The resort started life in 1992 as "Dixie Landings". In 2001 Disney changed the name to Port Orleans Riverside. This massive resort is divided into two distinct sections - Magnolia Bend and Aligator Bayou. Magnolia Bend consists of four - two and three story plantation-style mansions. Aligator Bayou is comprised of 16 two story rustic, cajun-style buildings. In all, the resort has 2048 rooms spread over nearly 200 acres of land. The grounds are lined with oak and magnolia trees, along with azalea, camellia and rose bushes creating an atmosphere of relaxed southern charm. The Sassagoula river runs through the resort and provides transportation to Port Orleans French Quarter, as well as Downtown Disney marketplace and West Side. The food court here is called Riverside Mill, and while similar to what is offered at Port Orleans French Quarter, the food wasn't quite as good. This resort also has a full service restaurant, Boatwrights - which in our estimation is among the worst on property. In contrast however, we found the rooms at Port Orleans Riverside the best of any of Disney's moderates. The decor and style convey a relaxed, comfortable elegance that fits in perfectly with the overall feel of the resort. Even though the resort is large, it manages to keep a feeling of intamacy and charm and is arguably the best of Disney's moderate resort category and certainly among the best of any Disney resort in Orlando.
Of all of Disney's moderate resorts, Port Orleans Riverside feel the most comfortable and the most elegant. Muted tones of moss green and wedgewood blue sit in excellent contrast to the dark wood headboards which depict scenes from around the resort. Each room has two queen size beds (Mattresses are Sealy Posturepedic Monogram series 400 plush) and make for a comfortable nights sleep - especially after a long day in the parks. Rooms in all Disney moderate resorts feature H20 bath products (shampoo, conditioner and soaps). An upgraded version of the H20 product is avaialble in the gift shop. Rooms have flat screen televisions with convenient access to HDMI ports as well as audio and video inputs. This is convenient if you bring along video game systems for the kids or if you like to plug in your camcorder to review your video footage from the trip. Rooms here also have a small mini-fridge, wall safe (not large enough to hold a laptop though), coffee maker, iron and ironing board, and hair dryer.
All rooms sleep a maximum of 4 (plus one child in a crib), except King rooms which sleep 2. Room categories include Standard view, Garden View, Preferred Room, Water View and King Bed room. There is an additional charge for more than two adults in a room ($15 per person, per night)
Disney's published rack rate for a standard room at Port Orleans Riverside ranges from $162 per night in value season to $253 per night in the peak holiday season. Generally speaking, an upgrade to a Garden view room is an additional $10 per night over the price of a standard and an upgrade to a Preferred, Water View or King Bed room is $25 per night more than the cost of a standard room. Those rates fluctuate throughout the year, and this is a general outline of pricing. For published rates, go to http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/disney-rates.htm
Disney Dining Plan: Food purchased at the Riverside Mill uses counter services credits from the Disney Dining Plan. Most bakery items are considered snack credits . There are a few bakery items that are not available as snack credits, including specialty coffees. Meals at Boatwrights Dining Hall use one table service credit per meal. You can add the Disney Dining plan to a Magic Your Way package.
Riverside Mill: Themed after a cotton mill, the Riverside Mill serves as the resorts food court. Five seperate stations offer everything from fresh baked goods to chicken, hamburgers, pizza, a carving station and more. There is also a grab-and-go area for pre-wrapped sandwiches, snacks, bottled water, soda and desserts.
NOTE: Room service is limited to pizza, salads, soft drinks and beer which are available from 4 p.m. to midnight.
Boatwrights Dining Hall is a full service restaurant offering cajun-style cuisine. Menu items include Chicken and Andouille Gumbo, Blackened fish, Jambalaya as well as more traditional dishes like grilled pork chops, grilled tenderloin medallions and slow roasted prime rib. Boatwrights has been a consistent disappointment in our recent visits . The seafood dishes seem to be better received than the non-seafood dishes, which seemed to be of low quality and poor preperation.
- Boatwrights menu
- Boatwrights Review Read reviews from other DIS visitors on Boatwrights, or leave your own.
The River Roost Lounge offers appetizers such as beef nachos and buffalo chicken nuggets. The lounge features live entertainment by Bob Jackson Wednesday through Saturday evenings. It is a piano sing-a-long comedy routine. Bob has the energy of 10 eight year old children and does not take a break until an hour and a half into his show. It’s quite lively and extremely entertaining for the whole family with tons of audience participation. The place fills up quick, so get there before the show starts at 8:30pm. He’s been doing this at Port Orleans Riverside since 1997 and you can find his schedule on his website. http://www.yehaabob.com.
Services for Kids: Recreation activities - These vary by season, but this is really one place where Disney shines. If you have a day where you just want to hang out by the pool, rest assured there will be games and activities throughout the day to entertain the kids. Some of the poolside activities that take place at Port Orleans Riverside are Close Counts, Disney Trivia, Notable Quotables, and more. The Ol' Man Island Pool Party takes place daily as well as the Best on the Bayo Dance Off. There is also the "Campfire on de'Bayou' adjacent to the childrens playground on Ol' Man Island near the main pool. Movies under the Stars are offered each night (weather permitting) in the courtyard at Building 90 / Oak Manor. The Bayou Pirate Adventure is also available from Port Orleans Riverside for an additional charge.
The Medicine Show Arcade is located in the main building and offers a wide range of games suitable to all age groups.
Babysitting Services - Babysitting is available through Kids Nite Out, Inc. - which is not owned or operated by Disney. Caregivers provide in-room services which include playing games, reading, and generally entertaining your kids. Services are also available through Kids Nite Out to plan parties and special events. Advanced reservations are required and services are available 24 hours per day. There is a 4 hour minimum for children 6 months to 12 years old. Cancellations must be made 24 hours in advance to avoid the 4 hour minimum cancellation fee. Reservations can be made by calling 407-828-0920.
There are a total of 6 pools at Port Orleans Riverside, with the main pool located on Ol' Man Island. The pools main feature is the 95 foot water slide. The main pool is themed to resemble an old fashioned swimming hole - with water falling from various 'old' wooden structures. There is a seperate kiddie pool and a hot tub located here as well. The Muddy Rivers pool bar serves light snacks and alcoholic beverages.
The remaining 5 quiet pools' are located throughout the property (two pools located in the Magnolia Bend section and three located in the Alligator Bayou section). These pools are open 24 hours a day and do not have lifeguards on duty. There are changing rooms, restrooms, and laundry facilities at each of the 5 pools.
The huge Live Oak tree on Ol’ Man Island was relocated from the current site of Disney’s Animal Kingdom Park. It is the largest living Live Oak tree ever to be transplanted.
Fishing excursions - 2 hour guided fishing excursions are available along the Sassagoula River. Fishing equipment is provided and 24 hour advanced reservations are strongly recommended. You can reserve a fishing excursion by asking your Dreams Unlimited Travel agent or by calling 407-WDW-PLAY. For current information and pricing on fishing excursions around Walt Disney World, click here.
The Fishing Hole - You can fish for bluegill and perch at the Ol’ Man Island Fishin' Hole (a fully stocked catch and release pond). You can rent individual cane poles or you can choose the Family cane pole fishing adventure, for up to 6 people that costs around $13 per half hour.
Bike Rentals - Bicycles and Surrey bikes (which seat 4 people) are available for rent by the half hour and can be rented directly at the marina or by calling recreation from your in-room phone. Advance reservations are not required.
Boat Rentals - Sun tracker pontoon boats, Boston Whaler Montauk boats and Sea Raycer water sprites are available for rent by the half hour at the marina. Certain age restrictions apply. Rentals can be arranged at the marina, which is located just behind the main building. You can pilot boats up the Sassagoula river, which will take you to Port Orleans French Quarter, Old Key West, and the Downtown Disney area. You can not dock your boat at any of these other locations, but its an incredibly scenic ride to take.
Horse Drawn Carriage Rides - The Horse Drawn Carriage ride is a great way to see the property at night. 25 minute horse drawn carriage rides around the resort are available nightly from 6:00pm to 9:30pm (weather permitting). Carriages can seat up to four adults, or two adults and three children. Tickets are sold directly by the carriage drivers and only cash or Disney room charge is accepted (no credit cards). For advanced reservations call 407-WDW-PLAY and for same day reservations call 407-824-2832 (walk-ups may be available).
Water launch service is available to Downtown Disney Marketplace/West Side from the marina. There are four bus stops at Port Orleans Riverside, the North, South, East and West depots. The East depot is located behind building 85, the North depot behind buidling 80, the west depot behind building 25, the south depot outside the main building. Bus service is shared with Port Orleans French Quarter and there are times when the wait for a bus can be lengthy, especially during busier times of the year.
- New events added to Epcot International Food & Wine Festival - Late Nights LIVE! and new Premium Package events added.
- Astro Orbiter rehab extended by one week - Originally scheduled to end September 19, the ride will now reopen September 28.
- Food & Wine Festival Premium events now available for booking - This includes seminars, signature dining experiences and other special events.
- Changes coming to Move It, Shake It, Celebrate It Street Party? - An update is rumored for this parade later this year, possibly around October. Possible changes are new music; Mickey, Minnie, Goofy and Donald moving to the top of the floats; and Stitch joining the fun. Sebastian, Lumiere, and The Mad Hatter will leave the parade.
- During pool rehab, Polynesian guests will have free admission to Blizzard Beach - Originally, the resort guests were just going to be given one-day tickets to the water park, but that has been changed. They will now have complimentary unlimited admission to Blizzard Beach during their stay at the Polynesian.
- List of restaurants participating in the 2015 Disney Dining Plan - This list will be updated as more restaurants are added. Epcot and Downtown Disney restaurants don't normally finalize their participation until later in the year.
- 2015 Magic Your Way Disney World packages released! - A Walt Disney World package is a resort room and theme park admission. The Disney Dining Plan may also be added.
- Happy 15th Birthday to Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith! - The attraction originally opened its doors at Disney’s Hollywood Studios on July 29, 1999.
- Victoria & Albert's will no longer accept Tables in Wonderland - This begins August 1, 2014.
- Summertime Pals Ink & Paint Cel release - This limited release will be available at the event, or pre-order by September 25 at 5:00pm EST.
- Haunted Mansion merchandise shop coming to Magic Kingdom - The former Yankee Trader shop will become a Haunted Mansion merchandise location in the near future. The decor will be inspired by Madame Leota and will carry items from the Haunted Mansion Authentic program, such as apparel, home goods, souvenirs and more.
- Merchandise Events and Artist Appearances/Signings for August - List of authors and artists coming to the theme parks for signings and merchandise releases.
- List of characters updated for Villains Unleashed! event - Over 50 Disney villains will be taking over the park until the 13th hour!
- Beginning today, PhotoPass print packages are no longer offered table-side at character meals - This includes Chef Mickey's, 1900 Park Fare, 'Ohana, Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue, Disney's Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show and Tusker House Restaurant.
- Disney Visa cardholders can book Food & Wine Festival events early - Disney Visa cardholders can book special events two days earlier than the general public - on July 29 and July 30 from 7:00am-11:00pm EST.
- Tables in Wonderland adds blackout dates for several restaurants - The Tables in Wonderland program offers Florida Residents, DVC members and Annual Passholders 20% off of all food and beverage purchases at the participating Disney restaurants.
- Information on Holiday sleigh rides at Fort Wilderness - This horse-drawn "sleigh" ride is a fun way to celebrate the season.
- Marketplace menus for Epot International Food & Wine Festival - List of menu items for the marketplaces set up around World Showcase.
- Rehab planned in November for Magic Carpets of Aladdin - The Magic Kingdom attraction will be closed 11/10 - 11/21/2014.
- Food & Wine Festival Special Dining Experiences released - Bookings for these experiences begin July 31.
- 10 Places to Wait Out a Thunderstorm at Walt Disney World
- Disney Castaway Cay Challenge added to Princess Half Marathon Weekend - Runners who are registered for any of the Disney races (5K or longer) during the Weekend have the option to complete the Disney Castaway Cay Challenge when sailing on the Disney Dream February 23-27.
- Fantasia Miniature Golf Course rehab planned off and on for the next two weeks - Gardens Course closed 7/22-7/25/2014, 7/28-8/1/2014, 8/4-8/8/2014. The Fairways will still be open.
- Blog - I Can Go The Distance: Deciding is one thing, registering is another
- Save up to 30% on a Room Only reservation at Walt Disney World! - Valid for stays most nights 10/4/14 - 11/25/14 and 11/29/14 - 12/23/14.
- 2015 WDW hotel discount released for U.S. Military - Valid for stays most nights 9/28/14 - 10/3/15.
- All 3 remaining weekends sold out for Harambe Nights - July 26, August 2 and August 9 are sold out.
- Annual passholder discount for Spice Road Table - Through 9/17/14, Annual Passholders can get a 30% discount on their bill.
- 2015 Military Ticket Discount info released - Members of the military can purchase 4-day Magic Your Way tickets with Park Hopper option for $177 each.
- Changes to reservation times for Wishes Dessert Party - Reservations are all being set for 6:00pm, no matter when Wishes is taking place. The dessert party will actually take place one hour before Wishes.
- Frozen Summer Fun Premium package is sold out for all remaining dates - This package gives guests at Frozen Summer Fun Live reserved viewing for several events.
- Wild by Design tour to be discontinued after 9/26/14 - This tour takes place at Disney's Animal Kingdom.
- Fantasy Football Convention coming to ESPN Wide World of Sports - The convention will give attendees access to ESPN talent, a live fantasy football draft and more.
- Blog - Sneak Preview of What's Coming to the 2014 Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
- Dates and pricing released for ICE! at Gaylord Palms - Using two million pounds of ice, this Gaylord Palms Resort special ticket exhibit will be transformed into the North Pole.
- Blog - Disney's Magical Express Age Limit Changes: A Parent's & Teacher's Perspective
- Blog - Five Reasons Why We're Not Seeing "Planes: Fire & Rescue" in Theaters
- Blog updated - I Just Spent $20 on FastPasses! Would You? - The author has taken the tour she discussed in the blog - check out her thoughts to see if she would do this again!
- Blog - July 2014 Magic Kingdom Construction Update
- Information for Food & Wine Festival special dining experiences - book 7/31 - Premium events will be announced July 24 and can be booked on July 31 beginning at 7:00am EST. To book, call 407-WDW-FEST (939-3378).
- Princess Half Marathon fills in less than 24 hours - The Princess Half Marathon, the Princess Enchanted 10K and the Glass Slipper Challenge are sold out, filling less than 24 hours after registration opened.
- Dolphins at Epcot will be offstage through August 7 - Guests will not be able to see the dolphins at The Seas with Nemo & Friends. The Dolphins in Depth Tour will be unavailable during this time as well.
- Changes in parking due to Downtown Disney Remodel - Speeds in the area will be reduced, as well as lanes closed. Buena Vista Drive will be expanded to 10 lanes.
- Blog - Disney Responds to Disability Access Service Lawsuit
- Walt Disney World 2015 packages now available to book
- High-speed train will link Shanghai Disneyland to city
- "Clyde and Seamore Take Pirate Island" show cancelled at SeaWorld
- PBS plans Walt Disney biopic
- Release date set for 5th Pirates of the Caribbean film
- Man arrested at Typhoon Lagoon for molesting 4 teenage girls
- Standby line to be cut off in Anna and Elsa meet and greet
- Disney's second quarter injury report: 12-year-old boy cuts fingers on Pirates ride
- 30 years in prison for man who molested girl at SeaWorld
- Possible agreement reached between Disney and unions
Today's Theme Park Hours
Epcot Future World:
Epcot World Showcase:
|9:00 - 11:00
9:00 - 9:00
11:00 - 9:00
9:00 - 10:00
9:00 - 7:00
9:00 - 8:00
9:00 - 8:00
Extra Magic Hours Morning: Magic Kingdom