Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside address:
1251 Riverside Drive
Lake Buena Vista, FL, 32830
Phone: 407-934-6000 | Fax: 407-934-5777
Check In: 3PM | Check Out: 11AM
Maximum persons per room: 4 (plus child in crib)
Maximum persons per room: 4 (2 if booking a King room)
Number of rooms: 2048
Room size: 314 Sq Ft.
Charge for 3rd and 4th guest: $15 per night / per guest
Credit Cards accepted: Disney Gift Card, Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, JCB
Port Orleans Riverside Overview
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside is themed around the antebellum south along the Missisippi river. The resort started life in 1992 as "Dixie Landings". In 2001 Disney changed the name to Port Orleans Riverside. This massive resort is divided into two distinct sections - Magnolia Bend and Aligator Bayou. Magnolia Bend consists of four - two and three story plantation-style mansions. Aligator Bayou is comprised of 16 two story rustic, cajun-style buildings. In all, the resort has 2048 rooms spread over nearly 200 acres of land. The grounds are lined with oak and magnolia trees, along with azalea, camellia and rose bushes creating an atmosphere of relaxed southern charm. The Sassagoula river runs through the resort and provides transportation to Port Orleans French Quarter, as well as Downtown Disney marketplace and West Side. The food court here is called Riverside Mill, and while similar to what is offered at Port Orleans French Quarter, the food wasn't quite as good. This resort also has a full service restaurant, Boatwrights - which in our estimation is among the worst on property. In contrast however, we found the rooms at Port Orleans Riverside the best of any of Disney's moderates. The decor and style convey a relaxed, comfortable elegance that fits in perfectly with the overall feel of the resort. Even though the resort is large, it manages to keep a feeling of intamacy and charm and is arguably the best of Disney's moderate resort category and certainly among the best of any Disney resort in Orlando.
Of all of Disney's moderate resorts, Port Orleans Riverside feel the most comfortable and the most elegant. Muted tones of moss green and wedgewood blue sit in excellent contrast to the dark wood headboards which depict scenes from around the resort. Each room has two queen size beds (Mattresses are Sealy Posturepedic Monogram series 400 plush) and make for a comfortable nights sleep - especially after a long day in the parks. Rooms in all Disney moderate resorts feature H20 bath products (shampoo, conditioner and soaps). An upgraded version of the H20 product is avaialble in the gift shop. Rooms have flat screen televisions with convenient access to HDMI ports as well as audio and video inputs. This is convenient if you bring along video game systems for the kids or if you like to plug in your camcorder to review your video footage from the trip. Rooms here also have a small mini-fridge, wall safe (not large enough to hold a laptop though), coffee maker, iron and ironing board, and hair dryer.
All rooms sleep a maximum of 4 (plus one child in a crib), except King rooms which sleep 2. Room categories include Standard view, Garden View, Preferred Room, Water View and King Bed room. There is an additional charge for more than two adults in a room ($15 per person, per night)
Disney's published rack rate for a standard room at Port Orleans Riverside ranges from $162 per night in value season to $253 per night in the peak holiday season. Generally speaking, an upgrade to a Garden view room is an additional $10 per night over the price of a standard and an upgrade to a Preferred, Water View or King Bed room is $25 per night more than the cost of a standard room. Those rates fluctuate throughout the year, and this is a general outline of pricing. For published rates, go to http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/disney-rates.htm
Disney Dining Plan: Food purchased at the Riverside Mill uses counter services credits from the Disney Dining Plan. Most bakery items are considered snack credits . There are a few bakery items that are not available as snack credits, including specialty coffees. Meals at Boatwrights Dining Hall use one table service credit per meal. You can add the Disney Dining plan to a Magic Your Way package.
Riverside Mill: Themed after a cotton mill, the Riverside Mill serves as the resorts food court. Five seperate stations offer everything from fresh baked goods to chicken, hamburgers, pizza, a carving station and more. There is also a grab-and-go area for pre-wrapped sandwiches, snacks, bottled water, soda and desserts.
NOTE: Room service is limited to pizza, salads, soft drinks and beer which are available from 4 p.m. to midnight.
Boatwrights Dining Hall is a full service restaurant offering cajun-style cuisine. Menu items include Chicken and Andouille Gumbo, Blackened fish, Jambalaya as well as more traditional dishes like grilled pork chops, grilled tenderloin medallions and slow roasted prime rib. Boatwrights has been a consistent disappointment in our recent visits . The seafood dishes seem to be better received than the non-seafood dishes, which seemed to be of low quality and poor preperation.
- Boatwrights menu
- Boatwrights Review Read reviews from other DIS visitors on Boatwrights, or leave your own.
The River Roost Lounge offers appetizers such as beef nachos and buffalo chicken nuggets. The lounge features live entertainment by Bob Jackson Wednesday through Saturday evenings. It is a piano sing-a-long comedy routine. Bob has the energy of 10 eight year old children and does not take a break until an hour and a half into his show. It’s quite lively and extremely entertaining for the whole family with tons of audience participation. The place fills up quick, so get there before the show starts at 8:30pm. He’s been doing this at Port Orleans Riverside since 1997 and you can find his schedule on his website. http://www.yehaabob.com.
Services for Kids: Recreation activities - These vary by season, but this is really one place where Disney shines. If you have a day where you just want to hang out by the pool, rest assured there will be games and activities throughout the day to entertain the kids. Some of the poolside activities that take place at Port Orleans Riverside are Close Counts, Disney Trivia, Notable Quotables, and more. The Ol' Man Island Pool Party takes place daily as well as the Best on the Bayo Dance Off. There is also the "Campfire on de'Bayou' adjacent to the childrens playground on Ol' Man Island near the main pool. Movies under the Stars are offered each night (weather permitting) in the courtyard at Building 90 / Oak Manor. The Bayou Pirate Adventure is also available from Port Orleans Riverside for an additional charge.
The Medicine Show Arcade is located in the main building and offers a wide range of games suitable to all age groups.
Babysitting Services - Babysitting is available through Kids Nite Out, Inc. - which is not owned or operated by Disney. Caregivers provide in-room services which include playing games, reading, and generally entertaining your kids. Services are also available through Kids Nite Out to plan parties and special events. Advanced reservations are required and services are available 24 hours per day. There is a 4 hour minimum for children 6 months to 12 years old. Cancellations must be made 24 hours in advance to avoid the 4 hour minimum cancellation fee. Reservations can be made by calling 407-828-0920.
There are a total of 6 pools at Port Orleans Riverside, with the main pool located on Ol' Man Island. The pools main feature is the 95 foot water slide. The main pool is themed to resemble an old fashioned swimming hole - with water falling from various 'old' wooden structures. There is a seperate kiddie pool and a hot tub located here as well. The Muddy Rivers pool bar serves light snacks and alcoholic beverages.
The remaining 5 quiet pools' are located throughout the property (two pools located in the Magnolia Bend section and three located in the Alligator Bayou section). These pools are open 24 hours a day and do not have lifeguards on duty. There are changing rooms, restrooms, and laundry facilities at each of the 5 pools.
The huge Live Oak tree on Ol’ Man Island was relocated from the current site of Disney’s Animal Kingdom Park. It is the largest living Live Oak tree ever to be transplanted.
Fishing excursions - 2 hour guided fishing excursions are available along the Sassagoula River. Fishing equipment is provided and 24 hour advanced reservations are strongly recommended. You can reserve a fishing excursion by asking your Dreams Unlimited Travel agent or by calling 407-WDW-PLAY. For current information and pricing on fishing excursions around Walt Disney World, click here.
The Fishing Hole - You can fish for bluegill and perch at the Ol’ Man Island Fishin' Hole (a fully stocked catch and release pond). You can rent individual cane poles or you can choose the Family cane pole fishing adventure, for up to 6 people that costs around $13 per half hour.
Bike Rentals - Bicycles and Surrey bikes (which seat 4 people) are available for rent by the half hour and can be rented directly at the marina or by calling recreation from your in-room phone. Advance reservations are not required.
Boat Rentals - Sun tracker pontoon boats, Boston Whaler Montauk boats and Sea Raycer water sprites are available for rent by the half hour at the marina. Certain age restrictions apply. Rentals can be arranged at the marina, which is located just behind the main building. You can pilot boats up the Sassagoula river, which will take you to Port Orleans French Quarter, Old Key West, and the Downtown Disney area. You can not dock your boat at any of these other locations, but its an incredibly scenic ride to take.
Horse Drawn Carriage Rides - The Horse Drawn Carriage ride is a great way to see the property at night. 25 minute horse drawn carriage rides around the resort are available nightly from 6:00pm to 9:30pm (weather permitting). Carriages can seat up to four adults, or two adults and three children. Tickets are sold directly by the carriage drivers and only cash or Disney room charge is accepted (no credit cards). For advanced reservations call 407-WDW-PLAY and for same day reservations call 407-824-2832 (walk-ups may be available).
Water launch service is available to Downtown Disney Marketplace/West Side from the marina. There are four bus stops at Port Orleans Riverside, the North, South, East and West depots. The East depot is located behind building 85, the North depot behind buidling 80, the west depot behind building 25, the south depot outside the main building. Bus service is shared with Port Orleans French Quarter and there are times when the wait for a bus can be lengthy, especially during busier times of the year.
- Pricing structure changed for Valet Parking at Downtown Disney - Pricing is based on length of stay - time starts when you reach the valet podium and stops when you return to the podium to pick up your car.
- Blog - Top 5 Must Do's at Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party
- Pangani Research Center closes for refurb - Pangani Research Center- Aviary and Hippo viewing area will be closed 9/2 - 11/14/2014.
- Blog - Villains Soiree - Wickedly Disappointing
- Blog - Dole Whips are back at the Polynesian Village Resort at the new and disappointing Pineapple Lanai
- Shortened monorail operating hours now in place - The monorail will have a different operating schedule than normal as an automation upgrade takes place.
- Blog - The Good and Bad of "Toy Story of TERROR!" on Blu-ray
- American Idol Experience is now closed at Disney's Hollywood Studios - This attraction closed August 30, 2014. No definitive plans have been announced for this space.
- VIDEO: Oogie Boogie's Freaky Funhouse Show at Villains Unleashed - Oogie Boogie's Freaky Funhouse Show at Villains Unleashed brings Vegas to Walt Disney World. Villains Unleashed took over Disney's Hollywood Studios on August 23, 2014 and part of the hard ticket event was Oogie Boogie's Freak Funhouse Show. Oogie Boogie hosts the show that features a sword-swallowing act, daredevil archery and a finale full of fire!
- Refurb closures planned for Walt Disney World water parks - Typhoon Lagoon will be closed 10/26/14-1/3/15 and Blizzard Beach will be closed 1/4/15-3/14/15.
- Top 5 Signature Dining Experiences at the Walt Disney World Resorts - 1,600 listeners and viewers of our DIS Unplugged web-cast voted on their favorite signature restaurants at the Walt Disney World resort hotels.
- Blog - The Top 5 Underutilized Spaces at Walt Disney World
- Starbucks will open at Hollywood Studios in February 2015 - The Trolley Car Cafe will be located along Hollywood Boulevard and be themed like a trolley car station. Disney baked goods and Starbucks La Boulange pastry items will be available. An exact location hasn't been announced.
- VIDEO - Frozen Fireworks Multi-Angle Full Show - “Frozen” Fireworks Spectacular – Everything wraps up at 9:45 p.m. when Anna, Elsa, Kristoff, and Olaf come together at the Sorcerer’s Hat Icon Stage for a grand finale to the day’s festivities, kicking off an awe-inspiring fireworks display set to the glorious music of “Frozen!”
- VIDEO: Star-Lord & Gamora from 'Guardians of the Galaxy' at Villains Unleashed - Peter Quill, aka Star-Lord, and Gamora made their first appearance ever at the Guardians of the Galaxy Awesome Mix Tape Vol. 1 Dance Party during the Villains Unleashed event at Disney's Hollywood Studios.
- Mikala Canoe Club Marina at Polynesian to be closed for refurb - The marina will be closed 9/15 - 9/19/2014. Sail boat/motorized boats and fishing excursions will not be available.
- Entrance 4 to Downtown Disney's parking lot now closed - Entrance 4 (between Cirque du Soleil and DisneyQuest) is now closed permanently. The only entrances are Entrance 2 (across from the Hess Station) and Entrance 5 (across from Typhoon Lagoon).
- VIDEO: Villains Unleashed Opening Ceremony - Villains Unleashed kicked off at Disney's Hollywood Studios with an opening ceremony hosted by Hades, Pain, Panic and Megara from Hercules. Once the stars of the night took the stage they introduced some of the 50 Disney Villains guests could meet at the special hard ticket event.
- VIDEO: Villains Unleashed Event Overview - Over 50 Disney villains took over Disney's Hollywood Studios for the Villains Unleashed Event.
- Times updated for events at Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party - The Party is a specially ticketed event at the Magic Kingdom that begins September 1.
- Villains' Sinister Soiree add-on available for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party - This special add-on will give guests preferred viewing for Mickey's Boo to You Halloween Parade (8:15pm) and the Happy HalloWishes fireworks show. Lady Tremaine will host a dessert soiree at Cinderella's Royal Table Restaurant for you and some of her friends.
- 5 Elements from the Disney Parks that You'll Find on a Disney Cruise Ship - You have been to the Disney Parks, and you love them. You keep going back for that pixie-dust rush. You can’t imagine a vacation apart from Disney Parks, yet somehow the “old and familiar” is getting a bit old and familiar. This is where the Disney Cruise Line enters. It’s a Disney vacation of a different variety. The dissimilarities are a bit obvious. You’re on a ship in the ocean, visiting foreign places. This is nothing like being landlocked in a park, surrounded by coasters and kiosks. So what can you expect from the Disney Parks to carry over to your cruise?
- Blog - "Villains Unleashed" needs leashing up - Disney's overcrowded hard ticket event leaves guests in long lines most of the night
- Mickey's PhilharMagic refurb extended - The end date has been moved from September 19 to the 28th. The attraction will go down September 8.
- Enchanted Tiki Room going down for refurb in late September - The Magic Kingdom attraction will be closed from 9/27 - 10/3/2014.
- Two Epcot New Year's Eve dining events released - More New Year's Eve events are yet to be released.
- Blog - Beyond Aulani
- Updated operating schedule for monorails - The monorail will have a different operating schedule than normal as an automation upgrade takes place.
- Charging stations for electric vehicles added to Epcot parking lot - Disney has added four Level 2 ChargePoint charging stations to the Journey parking lot at Epcot. Electric vehicles will be charged $.35 per kw/h, with a minimum charge of $1.50.
- Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party tickets sold out on 10/31/14 - Tickets are still available for all other dates.
- New Move it! Shake it! Dance and Play it! Street Party to debut at Magic Kingdom this fall - Stitch and Phineas & Ferb will join the party and Mickey, Minnie, Donald and Goofy will ride on top of giant gift boxes. The soundtrack will feature remixed classic party songs and guests will vote for one of three current hits to be played.
- VIDEO: What's New at Aulani - Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa has many new offerings. Quick service at Ulu Cafe, kids splash zone at Keiki Cove, two new pools, and much more.
- MagicBands can now be purchased without ticket media - The bands are now available for purchase across property.
- Changes to boat schedules at Downtown Disney - Schedules have been changing recently due to construction.
- Blog - The Good and Bad of the "Muppets Most Wanted" Blu-ray
- Ultimate Day VIP Tour available at Epcot Food & Wine Festival - This daylong tour begins at the Festival Center's VIP Lounge and includes champagne, a beverage tasting, six-course tapas-style lunch, wine, private backstage tours, time on Epcot attractions, food and beverage pairings with Disney chefs, VIP seating at the Eat to the Beat Concert Series, and reserved seating for IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth fireworks spectacular.
- Blog - New Golden Oak Outpost Menu is Waffle Fry Heaven
- Sunrise Safari at Animal Kingdom ending 12/28/14 - This tour is exclusive to Animal Kingdom Lodge Kilimanjaro Club Level guests.
- American Idol Experience to close August 30 - No plans have been announced for the space.
- Florida residents save $40 on Cirque du Soleil tickets - Through September and October, Florida residents will save $40 on adult Cirque du Soleil tickets purchased at the box office.
- VIDEO: The Refurbished Capt. Cook's at Polynesian Resort - After a long refurbishment, Capt. Cook's has reopened at the Polynesian Village Resort. Major changes include artwork in the seating area, a new menu, no more ordering off of touch screens and the tragic loss of the Dole Whip self-serve machine.
- American Film Institute at the end of Backlot Tour to close - As of August 17, the American Film Institute Showcase exhibit at the end of the ride will be closed. This exhibit features props and costumes from various films. The gift shop will also close.
- D23 Expo 2015 tickets are now on sale - Tickets for next year's D23 Expo are now on sale. The D23 Expo will be held August 14-16, 2015 at the Anaheim Convention Center.
- Blog - Polynesian Resort's Capt. Cook's quick service restaurant reopens after refurbishment
- Golden Oak Outpost now serving specialty waffle fries - This walk-up stand is located on the backside of Frontierland on the walkway to Adventureland.
- Tower of Terror On-ride videos available with Memory Maker - After riding The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, a video of the guest's ride will be added to their My Disney Experience account. This video is only available to guests who have purchased Memory Maker.
- Win a 2 Night / 3 Day stay at the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin! - Answer 3 questions about the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin on our contest page for a chance to WIN!
- Great Irish Hooley Festival to be held at Downtown Disney - "Hooley" is Irish slang for party or celebration. Celebrate with food, drink and dancing.
- Update coming to My Disney Experience - make dining reservations 20 minutes in advance - A new update will allow guests to make same day dining reservations only 20 minutes in advance.
- Performance times updated for Night of Joy - Disney’s Night of Joy is a hard-ticket event at the Magic Kingdom that features contemporary Christian performers.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Polynesian Resort Lobby - Lobby Waterfall - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at the Polynesian Resort.
- Blog - Haunted Mansion Merchandise Continues to Materialize
- Refurb scheduled this winter for the Haunted Mansion - The attraction will be closed from 12/1 - 12/19/14.
- It's Tough to be a Bug refurb extended until 9/27 - This attraction was originally scheduled to reopen August 11, but will instead stay closed through September 27.
- Yankee Trader shop refurb extended through December - The shop is becoming a Haunted Mansion gift shop.
- Disney and unions argue about extra shift distribution policy
- Polynesian Resort opens new Dole Whip location
- Popular EPCOT acts to depart this Fall
- Wet 'n Wild employee trapped in pool; now in critical condition
- Star Wars mobile game app released by Disney
- Disney contract approved by part-time employees
- Citation banning whale trainers from water will not be appealed by SeaWorld
- Disney cancels 2014 Festival of the Masters art show
- Radio Disney to shut down stations and lay off employees
- Disney proposes new contract for part-time employees
Today's Theme Park Hours
Epcot Future World:
Epcot World Showcase:
|9:00 - 10:00
9:00 - 9:00
11:00 - 9:00
9:00 - 8:00
9:00 - 5:00
10:00 - 5:00 PM
10:00 - 5:00 PM
Extra Magic Hour Evening: Epcot FW