Orlando Hotels Near Disney Planning GuideTips and advice to help you choose the right hotel near Disney World Orlando
What to look for in picking a hotel near Disney World
You're planning a trip to Orlando and you don't have any idea how to get started. The first thing you need to do is get out a pen, pad of paper and a Calendar. Once you find a vacation date that works for you, start using that pad of paper to calculate your travel budget.
Things to ask yourself as you start to plan your trip:
- How many are in your party?
- Are you going to fly or drive to Orlando?
- If flying, will you need transportation to the resort and/or area attractions?
- How long do you plan to stay in the Orlando area?
- Do you prefer a standard room, suite or villa? (The size of your party may dictate that you require more than one room or a villa/suite)
- What type of hotel amenities do you look for when traveling?
- Is Hotel or resort dining important to you
Things to ask yourself about the type of hotel to choose:
- Is Disney your sole destination, or do you plan to visit other area attractions such as Sea World and Universal?
- Do you like resorts that include complimentary breakfast or free meals for the kids?
- If you belong to a hotel's rewards program, is it to your advantage to stay at a resort affiliated with them?
- Does your family want to stay at a resort that caters to kids?
- Does the resort offer complimentary shuttles to the attractions and are you willing to travel according to their schedule?
- Are there non-Disney owned hotels that allow you to take advantage of Extra Magic Hour?
- Location wise, how close are the resorts to Disney? Are there any on Disney property?
- How does the family feel about the hotel? Get feedback from each family member as you go through the process.
- Is there shopping close by with easy access to purchase food and supplies
Below is information to help narrow down your choices:
- If being on Disney property and having amenities similar to those offered to guests at Disney owned resorts is important, then you should choose either the Swan or Dolphin hotels. These resorts are within walking distance to Disney Hollywood Studios and Epcot. They offer complimentary transportation to all of the Disney theme parks and participate in Extra Magic Hour.
- The resorts located on Hotel Boulevard are conveniently located near Downtown Disney. Additionally, guests who stay at the Hilton in this area can take advantage of Extra Magic Hour.
- If you want to cook to keep meal costs down during your stay, there are a number of resorts that have accommodations with full kitchens or kitchenettes. (The price is much less than comparable Disney owned villas.)
- While Disney does have Value resorts, they are limited to parties of 4 or less. If your party consists of 5 to 8 guests, you'll often find that the cost of the two Disney Value resort rooms that you'll need is more than a suite/villa elsewhere.
- Some resorts feature free internet access, complimentary shuttles, refrigerators, microwaves, free meals, poolside movies, kid's programs and daily activities. There's even a resort where you can take scuba lessons.
- If you plan on scheduling pool time or recreational activities, there are many resorts to choose from with outstanding facilities.
The easiest way to compare resorts is through an agency that specializes in Orlando travel. Naturally, we recommend Dreams Unlimited. Unlike the anonymous "big box" agencies, the staff at Dreams Unlimited visits each of the resorts that they offer. Not only do they negotiate the best rate, they make certain that it's a hotel that their guests will be happy with.
You have the date; you've compared resorts, narrowed down your choices and now comes the most important factor for most, the price. You should begin with the total cost you're able to spend on your vacation. First, factor in the cost of admission to the different attractions you plan to visit. Your goal is to take in the sights, not sit in a hotel room because you weren't prepared for the cost of the parks.
Another cost factor is transportation. If you don't pick a hotel that offers shuttle service, you're going to need a car; use taxis or hire a car service.
What's left should be a realistic amount that you can spend on accommodations. Getting the best price at the resort you choose comes next:
- 1. When you travel is important. The hotels adjust their rates depending on the "season." You can expect to pay top dollar when traveling during the major holidays. Another more expensive time to go is during school breaks. Least costly is January till mid February, the weeks following Easter till the end of May, late summer and Fall and the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas.
- If you belong to a hotel or credit card loyalty program, check to see if you’ve earned a free stay or a reduced rate.
- Choose an agency that specializes in the Orlando area. Again, that’s Dreams Unlimited.
- 4. Did you know that some Orlando resorts offer special rates to members of service organizations, military, government workers, nurses, teachers, and AARP members? Dreams Unlimited does and will let you know if your affiliation will reduce your rate.
Let's recap the information covered when choosing a non-Disney owned resort:
- Determine how many will be traveling and the type of accommodations you'll need
- Select the date you wish to travel
- Figure out your vacation budget
- Decide which attractions you plan to visit and the cost of admission
- Choose what hotel location works best for your plans
- Compare hotel amenities/services
- Go with an agency that specializes in Orlando
- Check to see if you belong to an organization that will give you a reduced rate
For questions or assistance please e-mail Teresa Echols at Dreams Unlimited Travel.
- Blog - I Can Go the Distance...Now That I've Processed My Race Deferral
- Harambe Market opens at Disney's Animal Kingdom - This new quick-service location is located behind the Mombasa Marketplace.
- 7in7+ Disneyland Edition - Hilton Anaheim
- Hoypoloi closing at Downtown Disney 5/25/15 - It will be replaced by United World Soccer in July.
- 7in7+ Disneyland Edition - Howard Johnson Anaheim
- 7in7+ Disneyland Edition - Downtown Anaheim
- 7in7+ Disneyland Edition - Disneyland Hotel
- 7in7+ Disneyland Edition - Disneyland Park
- 'Paint the Night' Full Nighttime Electrical Parade - 'Paint the Night' is the brand new nighttime electrical parade at Disneyland for the 60th Anniversary Celebration. 'Paint the Night' originated in Hong Kong Disneyland and proved popular enough to replicate for Disneyland Park, with just a few improvements like the Main Street Electrical Parade drum float leading off the parade and a brand new Frozen float with Anna, Elsa and Olaf!
- VIDEO: 'World of Color - Celebrate' Full Show with Outros - World of Color - Celebrate tells the story and legacy of Walt Disney as narrated by Neil Patrick Harris and the one and only Mickey Mouse. The story starts with Walt creating Mickey Mouse and showing his evolution before moving into Walt's progression into feature length animation. The story wraps with Disneyland and remembering that it was all started by a mouse.
- VIDEO: The Force Awakens and Star Tours in 'World of Color - Celebrate' - In the brand new World of Color - Celebrate, Star Wars - The Force Awakens and Star Tours make an appearance in the show highlighting the great things to come from Walt Disney's life as hosted by Neil Patrick Harris and Mickey Mouse.
- Life Through the Disney Lens
- New additions announced for Disney Springs - There are several retail stores and dining venues on the list.
- Blog - Review: "Tomorrowland" perfectly channels Walt Disney's philosophy and spirit
- Blog - Top 5 ways to be a good guest at Walt Disney World - Do's and Don'ts
- Blog - Star Wars Weekend Merchandise Hits the Shelves
- VIDEO: Star Wars Weekends 2015 Food, Merchandise and More! - Star Wars Weekends is Disney's Hollywood Studios' epic yearly event that showcases everything there is to love about the Star Wars Universe.
- VIDEO: Star Wars Galactic Dine-In Breakfast - Breakfast offers the opportunity to meet Darth Vader, Boba Fett, Jawa, Greedo and Stormtroopers. Star Wars movie clips will be shown on the movie screen at the restaurant instead of the normal science fiction clips.
- Blog - Star Wars Weekends 2015
- Schedule of events for Coolest Summer Ever 24-hour party - Kick off summer with this 24-hour party, to be held from 6am-6am May 22-23!
- Full schedule for Star Wars Weekends - Star Wars Weekends runs through June 14, 2015.
- Chef Mickey's to add brunch beginning May 31 - Brunch will be served from 11:30am-2:30pm.
- A Monstrous Rock Your Coolest Summer: A Guide to 24 Hours at Disney
- What Haven't I Done at Disney?
- Star Wars Galactic Dine-In Breakfast
- Free transportation offer at Aulani - Book a 4 night or longer stay at Aulani and get free round-trip transportation between the airport and Aulani, plus a free 1-day mid-size Alamo car rental.
- Star Wars Rebels: The Ultimate Guide to show at Hollywood Studios - This 30-minute recap of the first season of Star Wars Rebels will show at 10:00am daily through 30 minutes before park closing.
- Top 10 Most Featured Movies at Walt Disney World
- Store operating hours adjusted for Downtown Disney West Side - These stores are now open the same hours as the rest of Downtown Disney.
- Animal Kingdom's TriceraTop Spin begins 2-week rehab - The ride will be closed 5/11/2015 - 5/24/2015.
- Blog - Downtown Disney Construction Update May 2015
- Dates for 2015 Holiday Cruises on Disney Cruise Line - Each ship will offer "Halloween on the High Seas" and "Very Merrytime Cruises" itineraries.
- Disney Channel and Disney XD stars to be at Coolest Summer Ever event - Disney Channel's Club Chill will take place in Tomorrowland and several stars will kick off the afternoon Festival of Fantasy parade.
- November 2015 park hours released for Walt Disney World
- Construction at Downtown Disney to cause road closures - The intersection of Buena Vista Drive and Hotel Plaza Boulevard will be closed from midnight - 7:00am on the night of May 11 into the morning of May 12 and on the night of May 19 into the morning of May 20.
- Save up to 30% on a stay at Aulani - Book a 4 night stay at Aulani and get a 25% discount; book 5+ nights at Aulani and get a 30% discount.
- Rebel Hangar: Star Wars Lounge Experience planned for Star Wars Weekends - This lounge will offer a selection of Star Wars-themed foods and drinks.
- Blog - A Look Back: Walt Disney World's Swan and Dolphin Hotels
- My Perfect Day at Walt Disney World
- Disney Pin Trading: The Perfect, Collectible Souvenir - Looking for the perfect Disney World souvenir? Try Disney pin trading.
- Sneak Peek of "Inside Out" film coming to Epcot - The preview will include an advance look at a sequence from the film, in-theater special effects and an introduction from the filmmakers.
- The Fairy Godparents of the Parks - Some guests may turn into villains, but others turn into our Fairy Godparents.
- Walt Disney World on a Budget - I feel like just a small alteration in expectations can save you money and possibly allow you to visit more often.
- Blog - Express Food Ordering Test At Disney's Hollywood Studios
- Happy 26th Birthday to Disney's Hollywood Studios! - This park opened its doors on May 1, 1989.
- May merchandise events for Walt Disney World - List of artist appearances and signings from around Walt Disney World.
- Walt Disney World adds more allergy-friendly menus - All of the Resortís restaurants will have allergy-friendly menus by the end of the year.
- Disney Character Review - Gaston - He is such an over the top character that even as a cartoon he seems like a caricature of what a villain should be.
- New a cappella group to perform on America Gardens Theatre Stage - A new group, American Music Machine, will be performing on the America Gardens Theatre stage Wed-Sun at 12, 12:45, 1:40, 2:20 and 3:45. They are a 5 member a cappella group singing contemporary American hits.
- Registration now open for the 2016 Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend events. - The dates for this event are 1/6-1/10/16.
- Trader Sam's now officially open at Disney's Polynesian Village Resort - The lounge has been open for a few weeks, but was previously still considered in soft opening.
- Big Thunder Mountain begins 4 day rehab - The Magic Kingdom attraction will be closed through April 30.
- Walt Disney World FREE DINING Basics and FAQ's
- Getting to grips with MyMagic+ - This is my experience of using MyDisneyExperience & MyMagic+: my likes, dislikes, what I found useful when booking and tips I would like to pass on to help you plan your next Walt Disney World vacation.
- DISAPALOOZA Diagon Alley Party - December 05, 2015 - Dreams Unlimited Travel, Inc, The DIS and the DISUnplugged are proud to announce details of this year's DISapalooza Event. We will be renting out all of Diagon Alley for the enjoyment of our guests! December 05, 2015 (9:00 p.m. - midnight) Price: $75/person
- SeaWorld lays off Clyde & Seamore mimes, among others
- Man sentenced to 5 years for Disney ticket scam
- Club 33 members upset about more changes to benefits
- Iger says future Star Wars attractions to be based on new films
- SeaWorld's CEO steps down
- Man sues SeaWorld for automatically renewing his annual pass
- Retirement date set for Disney's Meg Crofton
- Woman sues Disney, claiming disability after falling from carousel horse
- Hotel leadership changes at Walt Disney World
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailer released