Orlando Hotels Near Disney Planning GuideTips and advice to help you choose the right hotel near Disney World Orlando
What to look for in picking a hotel near Disney World
You're planning a trip to Orlando and you don't have any idea how to get started. The first thing you need to do is get out a pen, pad of paper and a Calendar. Once you find a vacation date that works for you, start using that pad of paper to calculate your travel budget.
Things to ask yourself as you start to plan your trip:
- How many are in your party?
- Are you going to fly or drive to Orlando?
- If flying, will you need transportation to the resort and/or area attractions?
- How long do you plan to stay in the Orlando area?
- Do you prefer a standard room, suite or villa? (The size of your party may dictate that you require more than one room or a villa/suite)
- What type of hotel amenities do you look for when traveling?
- Is Hotel or resort dining important to you
Things to ask yourself about the type of hotel to choose:
- Is Disney your sole destination, or do you plan to visit other area attractions such as Sea World and Universal?
- Do you like resorts that include complimentary breakfast or free meals for the kids?
- If you belong to a hotel's rewards program, is it to your advantage to stay at a resort affiliated with them?
- Does your family want to stay at a resort that caters to kids?
- Does the resort offer complimentary shuttles to the attractions and are you willing to travel according to their schedule?
- Are there non-Disney owned hotels that allow you to take advantage of Extra Magic Hour?
- Location wise, how close are the resorts to Disney? Are there any on Disney property?
- How does the family feel about the hotel? Get feedback from each family member as you go through the process.
- Is there shopping close by with easy access to purchase food and supplies
Below is information to help narrow down your choices:
- If being on Disney property and having amenities similar to those offered to guests at Disney owned resorts is important, then you should choose either the Swan or Dolphin hotels. These resorts are within walking distance to Disney Hollywood Studios and Epcot. They offer complimentary transportation to all of the Disney theme parks and participate in Extra Magic Hour.
- The resorts located on Hotel Boulevard are conveniently located near Downtown Disney. Additionally, guests who stay at the Hilton in this area can take advantage of Extra Magic Hour.
- If you want to cook to keep meal costs down during your stay, there are a number of resorts that have accommodations with full kitchens or kitchenettes. (The price is much less than comparable Disney owned villas.)
- While Disney does have Value resorts, they are limited to parties of 4 or less. If your party consists of 5 to 8 guests, you'll often find that the cost of the two Disney Value resort rooms that you'll need is more than a suite/villa elsewhere.
- Some resorts feature free internet access, complimentary shuttles, refrigerators, microwaves, free meals, poolside movies, kid's programs and daily activities. There's even a resort where you can take scuba lessons.
- If you plan on scheduling pool time or recreational activities, there are many resorts to choose from with outstanding facilities.
The easiest way to compare resorts is through an agency that specializes in Orlando travel. Naturally, we recommend Dreams Unlimited. Unlike the anonymous "big box" agencies, the staff at Dreams Unlimited visits each of the resorts that they offer. Not only do they negotiate the best rate, they make certain that it's a hotel that their guests will be happy with.
You have the date; you've compared resorts, narrowed down your choices and now comes the most important factor for most, the price. You should begin with the total cost you're able to spend on your vacation. First, factor in the cost of admission to the different attractions you plan to visit. Your goal is to take in the sights, not sit in a hotel room because you weren't prepared for the cost of the parks.
Another cost factor is transportation. If you don't pick a hotel that offers shuttle service, you're going to need a car; use taxis or hire a car service.
What's left should be a realistic amount that you can spend on accommodations. Getting the best price at the resort you choose comes next:
- 1. When you travel is important. The hotels adjust their rates depending on the "season." You can expect to pay top dollar when traveling during the major holidays. Another more expensive time to go is during school breaks. Least costly is January till mid February, the weeks following Easter till the end of May, late summer and Fall and the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas.
- If you belong to a hotel or credit card loyalty program, check to see if you’ve earned a free stay or a reduced rate.
- Choose an agency that specializes in the Orlando area. Again, that’s Dreams Unlimited.
- 4. Did you know that some Orlando resorts offer special rates to members of service organizations, military, government workers, nurses, teachers, and AARP members? Dreams Unlimited does and will let you know if your affiliation will reduce your rate.
Let's recap the information covered when choosing a non-Disney owned resort:
- Determine how many will be traveling and the type of accommodations you'll need
- Select the date you wish to travel
- Figure out your vacation budget
- Decide which attractions you plan to visit and the cost of admission
- Choose what hotel location works best for your plans
- Compare hotel amenities/services
- Go with an agency that specializes in Orlando
- Check to see if you belong to an organization that will give you a reduced rate
For questions or assistance please e-mail Teresa Echols at Dreams Unlimited Travel.
- Full list of celebrities attending Star Wars Weekends 2014 - New on the list this year are Mark Hamill and John Ratzenberger.
- Race dates for Disney's Marathon Weekend and Princess Half Marathon - List of all the individual race dates for both weekends.
- Happy 50th anniversary to it's a small world! - it's a small world opened at the New York World's Fair on April 22, 1964.
- Blog - Review: Epcot After Hours Wind Down
- Registration opens for the 2015 Walt Disney World Marathon - Registration spots for the races fill up quickly. If you know for sure you want to participate in one of the events, we recommend you register as soon as possible.
- Happy 16th anniversary to Disney's Animal Kingdom - Disney's Animal Kingdom opened on April 22, 1998 - Earth Day.
- Thinking about booking your trip with a travel agent? - Why it's important to book with a travel agent that specializes in Disney vacations.
- Anna and Elsa meet and greet moves to Magic Kingdom today - These popular princesses will no longer be seen in Epcot's Norway pavilion.
- Planning to be at Disney World on Easter? - List of church services, dinners and special activities taking place at Walt Disney World on Easter.
- Blog - Ranking our 5 Senses in Disney's Theme Parks
- Spots still available at Tables in Wonderland event on April 19 - This buffet will bring Tables in Wonderland members together during the Festival for dinner and drinks, then you will head to the Flower Power Concert series to hear the sounds of The Grass Roots.
- Menu items for Epcot After Hours Wind Down - Tickets, which can be reserved in advance, include one beverage and a selection of light snacks.
- Rehabs planned for two of Disney's golf courses - Disney's Magnolia Golf Course and Disney's Oak Trail Golf Course will be closed 5/21 - 6/4/2014.
- Guests at the Swan and Dolphin can now book their FastPass+ 60 days in advance - Onsite resort guests and guests at the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin can make FastPass+ reservations up to 60 days in advance. Annual Passholders and offsite guests can make their reservations up to 30 days in advance.
- Blog - Actors Fund Gala Tickets Honoring Disney Theatricals on Sale Now
- Changes to Earl of Sandwich menu - Prices have increased by about 50 cents per sandwich. New sandwiches have been added and others have been removed.
- Epcot After Hours Wind Down lounges to be available - Stick around after IllumiNations for an evening at one of 4 exclusive lounges featuring food and beverages from award-winning Epcot chefs and sommeliers.
- Annual passholders can save up to 35% on WDW hotels, plus get free Memory Maker photos! - Guests will save up to 35% on their room, plus get free Memory Maker digital photos. Discount is valid for travel between 6/16/14 - 8/2/14.
- Blog - VIDEO: Disney reveals first look at animatronics and scenes inside Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
- Meet the Easter Bunny at the Magic Kingdom April 13-20 - The Easter Bunny will also have a special pre-parade appearance on 4/19 and 4/20/14. He will be joined by other springtime characters, dancers and the Azalea Trail Maids.
- Carbon-Freeze Me experience at Star Wars Weekends to offer X-Wing Pilots and more - In addition to the carbonite figure, last year's Stormtrooper will be available, as well as two new figurines - an Alderaan Princess and X-Wing Pilot.
- Blog - Third Annual Easter Egg Display at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
- Easter activities and special dining menus at Walt Disney World resorts - List of events planned at Walt Disney World resorts.
- Blog - Disney Infinity Teases Marvel & Confirms Version 2.0
- October 2014 Walt Disney World park hours released - List of times for parades, fireworks, and park hours.
- Blog - What To Expect When You're...Cruising with Disney and a Baby: Part 2
- Big Thunder Mountain closed for 2 days for rehab - The attraction will be closed 4/7-4/9/14.
- Surprising your family with a trip to Disney? Check out our tips! - Surprising the kids with a Disney vacation is part of the thrill for some parents. Others would love to do it, but aren’t sure how to pull it off. Here are some different approaches to creating that special surprise for your family!
- Blog - New Lawsuit Attacks Disney’s New Disability Access Service
- VIDEO: Illuminations Sparkling Dessert Party at Epcot - Enjoy a special fireworks viewing area and desserts from around World Showcase paired with sparkling wines.
- Tables in Wonderland event at Golden Oak's Markham's restaurant - For this special evening, guests will dine at the exclusive Markham's restaurant at Disney's Golden Oak Club, Walt Disney World's private residential community.
- Blog - Review: Epcot's new IllumiNations Sparkling Dessert Party
- Blog - Review: Epcot Gardens of the World Tour
- Dates announced for Sounds Like Summer Concert series - The Sounds Like Summer Concert Series features some of the greatest tribute bands rockin' to U2, The Bee Gees, the Eagles and many more during select nights from June to July.
- Night of Joy tickets now on sale - Disney's Night of Joy features contemporary Christian performers. The star-studded lineup is always outstanding and features a host of Dove Award and Grammy Award winning artists.
- Blog - DVC Owner To File Class Action Demanding More FastPass+ Experiences
- Blog - Walt Disney World is now selling MagicBands to Offsite Day Guests
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - World Showcase - The American Adventure - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at World Showcase - The American Adventure, February 12, 2014 - Afternoon.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - World Showcase - Italy - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at World Showcase - Italy, February 12, 2014 - Afternoon
- Parking prices increase at Walt Disney World - Prices have increased $2 for each category.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Echo Lake - Academy Hall of Fame - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Echo Lake - Academy Hall of Fame, February 12, 2014 - Morning
- Cirque du Soleil discount offered for Tables in Wonderland members - Discounted tickets are available for performances April 1-May 10 and May 27-June 28, 2014.
- Tables in Wonderland Flower and Garden Festival Special Dining Event - This buffet will bring Tables in Wonderland members together during the Festival for dinner and drinks, then you will head to the Flower Power Concert series to hear the sounds of The Grass Roots.
- Fittipaldi Cup racing event planned for Walt Disney World Speedway - The Exotic Driving Experience and 2014 Rolex 24 winner Christian Fittipaldi are putting on a half-day racing event at the Walt Disney World Speedway.
- Grand Floridian hosts Edible Easter Egg Display - This is the third year the resort has hosted the display of hand-painted edible Easter eggs; the eggs are 16 to 20 inches tall.
- Star Wars-themed character meals at Hollywood Studios! - For a limited time, guests will have the opportunity to dine with Star Wars characters or Disney characters dressed up in their Star Wars costumes.
- New 2015 Disney Crusie Line Destinations - Disney Cruise Line has added new destinations for 2015! For the first time, the Disney Magic will set sail for Northern Europe, visiting the Norwegian fjords, Iceland and the Faroe Islands. Seven- and nine-night sailings will depart from Copenhagen, Denmark and will immerse guests in the Viking history of this mystical land, which served as the backdrop for Disney's blockbuster film Frozen. Sail past mountains, glaciers, geysers and fjords and stop in port cities reminiscent of storybook villages.
- Kouzzina by Cat Cora to close September 30 - A new restaurant will open in its place this fall.
- Blog - Saying Farewell to Mickey's Jammin' Jungle Parade at Animal Kingdom
- Blog - The Dream of Retiring to Central Florida
- Egg-stravaganza Easter egg hunt planned for Epcot - Search for special hidden Disney character "eggs" at Epcot.
- Blog - Review: “Muppets Most Wanted” Now Touring Worldwide and in Theaters!
- Blog - Five Reasons You Should Go See 'Muppets Most Wanted' This Weekend
- Mark Hamill - Luke Skywalker - will be attending Star Wars Weekends! - This will be the actor's first appearance at Star Wars Weekends.
- PEEPS-themed Easter events planned for the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin - The resort will be celebrating a PEEPtastic week 4/16 - 4/20/14.
- Brunch planned to debut new Disney Collection by Vera Bradley design - "Mickey's Perfect Petals" will be showcased at the brunch and will be available for purchase.
- Blog - New Frozen Merchandise at Disney Parks
- Extended preview of Maleficent film at Disney's Hollywood Studios - The upcoming Maleficent film, starring Angelina Jolie, opens in theaters May 30. Theme park guests can see an extended preview of the film beginning April 18 and running through mid-June.
- Food Truck Park to open at Downtown Disney - The Food Truck Park is currently under construction and should open this summer between Bongos and Starbucks.
- Blog - Review: Disney's 'Saving Mr. Banks' Now Available On Blu-ray, DVD, & Digital Download
- Blog - Review: "Frozen" Blu-ray Hits Shelves
- Blog - Top 10 Reasons Why March 18th Is The Best Day Ever For Disney Fans
- First quarter earnings for Universal Orlando
- Cell phone charging stations added to Magic Kingdom
- Today Show to film at Universal Orlando on Friday
- James Cameron pleased with Disney's Avatar Land design
- Disney one of the world's most disappointing destinations?
- Universal Orlando painters sent to hospital
- Kickstarter campaign hopes to raise money for "Dark Side of Disney" film
- Disney plans four Star Wars children's books
- SeaWorld Orlando offers summer camps for kids
- Walt Disney World offers new contract to unions