Orlando Hotels Near Disney Planning GuideTips and advice to help you choose the right hotel near Disney World Orlando
What to look for in picking a hotel near Disney World
You're planning a trip to Orlando and you don't have any idea how to get started. The first thing you need to do is get out a pen, pad of paper and a Calendar. Once you find a vacation date that works for you, start using that pad of paper to calculate your travel budget.
Things to ask yourself as you start to plan your trip:
- How many are in your party?
- Are you going to fly or drive to Orlando?
- If flying, will you need transportation to the resort and/or area attractions?
- How long do you plan to stay in the Orlando area?
- Do you prefer a standard room, suite or villa? (The size of your party may dictate that you require more than one room or a villa/suite)
- What type of hotel amenities do you look for when traveling?
- Is Hotel or resort dining important to you
Things to ask yourself about the type of hotel to choose:
- Is Disney your sole destination, or do you plan to visit other area attractions such as Sea World and Universal?
- Do you like resorts that include complimentary breakfast or free meals for the kids?
- If you belong to a hotel's rewards program, is it to your advantage to stay at a resort affiliated with them?
- Does your family want to stay at a resort that caters to kids?
- Does the resort offer complimentary shuttles to the attractions and are you willing to travel according to their schedule?
- Are there non-Disney owned hotels that allow you to take advantage of Extra Magic Hour?
- Location wise, how close are the resorts to Disney? Are there any on Disney property?
- How does the family feel about the hotel? Get feedback from each family member as you go through the process.
- Is there shopping close by with easy access to purchase food and supplies
Below is information to help narrow down your choices:
- If being on Disney property and having amenities similar to those offered to guests at Disney owned resorts is important, then you should choose either the Swan or Dolphin hotels. These resorts are within walking distance to Disney Hollywood Studios and Epcot. They offer complimentary transportation to all of the Disney theme parks and participate in Extra Magic Hour.
- The resorts located on Hotel Boulevard are conveniently located near Downtown Disney. Additionally, guests who stay at the Hilton in this area can take advantage of Extra Magic Hour.
- If you want to cook to keep meal costs down during your stay, there are a number of resorts that have accommodations with full kitchens or kitchenettes. (The price is much less than comparable Disney owned villas.)
- While Disney does have Value resorts, they are limited to parties of 4 or less. If your party consists of 5 to 8 guests, you'll often find that the cost of the two Disney Value resort rooms that you'll need is more than a suite/villa elsewhere.
- Some resorts feature free internet access, complimentary shuttles, refrigerators, microwaves, free meals, poolside movies, kid's programs and daily activities. There's even a resort where you can take scuba lessons.
- If you plan on scheduling pool time or recreational activities, there are many resorts to choose from with outstanding facilities.
The easiest way to compare resorts is through an agency that specializes in Orlando travel. Naturally, we recommend Dreams Unlimited. Unlike the anonymous "big box" agencies, the staff at Dreams Unlimited visits each of the resorts that they offer. Not only do they negotiate the best rate, they make certain that it's a hotel that their guests will be happy with.
You have the date; you've compared resorts, narrowed down your choices and now comes the most important factor for most, the price. You should begin with the total cost you're able to spend on your vacation. First, factor in the cost of admission to the different attractions you plan to visit. Your goal is to take in the sights, not sit in a hotel room because you weren't prepared for the cost of the parks.
Another cost factor is transportation. If you don't pick a hotel that offers shuttle service, you're going to need a car; use taxis or hire a car service.
What's left should be a realistic amount that you can spend on accommodations. Getting the best price at the resort you choose comes next:
- 1. When you travel is important. The hotels adjust their rates depending on the "season." You can expect to pay top dollar when traveling during the major holidays. Another more expensive time to go is during school breaks. Least costly is January till mid February, the weeks following Easter till the end of May, late summer and Fall and the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas.
- If you belong to a hotel or credit card loyalty program, check to see if you’ve earned a free stay or a reduced rate.
- Choose an agency that specializes in the Orlando area. Again, that’s Dreams Unlimited.
- 4. Did you know that some Orlando resorts offer special rates to members of service organizations, military, government workers, nurses, teachers, and AARP members? Dreams Unlimited does and will let you know if your affiliation will reduce your rate.
Let's recap the information covered when choosing a non-Disney owned resort:
- Determine how many will be traveling and the type of accommodations you'll need
- Select the date you wish to travel
- Figure out your vacation budget
- Decide which attractions you plan to visit and the cost of admission
- Choose what hotel location works best for your plans
- Compare hotel amenities/services
- Go with an agency that specializes in Orlando
- Check to see if you belong to an organization that will give you a reduced rate
For questions or assistance please e-mail Teresa Echols at Dreams Unlimited Travel.
- Blog - Polynesian Village Resort at Walt Disney World debuts new lobby
- Perfectly Prepared Princess Package available at Ivy Trellis Salon - From January 8, 2015 through March, young princesses can get a princess hairdo, glitter and tiara for $50 and add princess makeup for $25. For $90, choose hair, makeup and manicure.
- Take a Break From the Wait: Minimal Wait Times In The Magic Kingdom
- (Really) Running around in Walt Disney World
- Haunted Mansion reopens after refurb - The attraction has been closed since the beginning of the month.
- 3 Must-See Character Spots That You Might Have Missed - Today, we will look specifically at 3 Character Meet & Greets that we were completely unaware of and that absolutely made our trip.
- STK Orlando to open at Disney Springs, plus other retailers apply - STK will open in 2015.
- Blog - Christmas by the Numbers at Walt Disney World
- Trattoria al Forno now open at Disney's BoardWalk - This Italian restaurant has opened in the space vacated by Kouzzina by Cat Cora.
- Disney World for College Students: The Spring Break Alternative - When one thinks of Walt Disney World they often think of a place fit for families and little kids and while that is true the allure is for many more. It is certainly not a Spring Breakers-esque destination for college kids but, it can be a great time for all who want to go.
- 4 Reasons Why Tomorrowland Needs Change
- Traveling with kids Part 2 - Bites - Anyone who has traveled with kids knows how important it is to keep them well-fed and hydrated. Actually, that's just a good rule in general...
- Registration now open for the 2015 Expedition Everest Challenge - This event will be held 5/1-5/2/15.
- How Magically Sluggish WiFi Made My Disney Experience Perfect
- Woman dead after car collides with Disney bus - A Windermere, FL, woman is dead after her car collided with a Disney bus.
- Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party sold out on December 16 - The only available date remaining is December 18.
- Do You Remember the First Time? - I still have very clear memories about my first visit all those years ago. It was 1980, and even though I only spent two days in the Magic Kingdom, as that was the only park to visit, something about the experience clearly resonated deeply with me.
- Information and artist renderings of new Polynesian DVC property - There will be 20 Bungalows and 360 Deluxe Studios.
- Beginning 3/8/15, characters will be at Tusker House dinners - Reservations are now available.
- Aulani plans Christmas festivities - There will be seasonal crafts, movie nights, Christmas dinner and a Holiday Starlit Hui.
- Traveling With Kids Part 1 - Boredom - In this article, Iíll specifically talk about Boredom and some ways to keep the kids entertained while you travel.
- Itinerary change for 12/19/15 Disney Fantasy sailing - This sailing will visit Tortola instead of St. Maarten.
- One Band's Dream | Why Walt would have loved the idea of Magic Bands and FastPass+ - I tend to give Disney the benefit of the doubt in most cases. I want to think that Walt's grand idea of a magical place for families to come and enjoy is still the driving force behind the company. When listening to responses to Fast Pass+ and Magic Bands however, that doesn't seem to be a popular viewpoint. So I am going to come to the defense of these programs and try and offer a slightly more optimistic point of view.
- Purchase tickets directly through My Disney Experience app - Guests can now purchase tickets directly through My Disney Experience. Tickets can be 1-10 days, either one-park or park hoppers. Tickets can be assigned to existing Family and Friends and then Fastpass+ reservations can be made.
- What to Expect When You're Expecting... at Disney - There are many reasons a woman might find herself on a Disney parks vacation while pregnant. Maybe an older child is celebrating a big birthday. Maybe itís a family reunion. Maybe this trip was planned well in advance and now youíre facing it with a happy bundle of joy on the way.
- Blog - Frozen Welcomes the Hour of Code
- "The Taste of Hollywood Winter Holiday Grab n Go" boxed meals offered at Hollywood Studios - These are available from 12/24-12/31 and include reserved seating for Fantasmic.
- Update on check-in times for Tomorrowland Terrace Fireworks Dessert Party - If your reservation is between 6:00 and 6:20pm, you should check in one hour before the fireworks.
- Exposition Park, home to the Disney food trucks, opens at Downtown Disney - This area is located between Bongo's Cuban Cafe and Starbucks.
- Memory Maker pre-purchase price raised to $169 - The price was previously $149.
- Character meals planned for Star Wars Weekends - The Jedi Mickey's Star Wars Dine and the Star Wars Galactic Dine-In Breakfast are back for the second year.
- The Paul McKenna Band joins entertainment at United Kingdom Pavilion - The 4-piece acoustic folk band will perform several times daily.
- Dates announced for 2015 Star Wars Weekends - The event will be held Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays, May 15 - June 14, 2015
- December merchandise events at Walt Disney World - Meet Disney artists for signings and appearances around Walt Disney World.
- runDisney reveals medals for Princess Half Marathon Weekend - This event will be held 2/19/15 - 2/22/15.
- Blog - Peter Pan's Flight's new queue opens at Magic Kingdom
- Tangled Tributes - Kingdom Crossing at the Magic Kingdom - I've been through here many times, but after watching the movie so many times recently, I was really struck by all the details here in the theming. There are so many little nods to the film that most guests probably just walk right by.
- Candlelight Processional begins tonight with narrator Jodi Benson - The Candlelight Processional takes place November 28 - December 30, 2014.
- Blog - Vintage Christmas Merchandise at Walt Disney World
- VIDEO: 2014 Walt Disney World Holiday Showcase - Join JeniLynn Knopp of the DIS Unplugged as she speaks with Steven Miller about holiday merchandise and shopping, Robert Hargrove and Santa Stitch about holiday entertainment, and Flash, Garland and The Boss about decorating Walt Disney World!
- 3 Surprising Things About Working at Mission: SPACE - Hereís a few of the things I learned about the attraction and about being a cast member at Mission: SPACE.
- Blog - A Weekend at Give Kids the World Village
- Christmas Eve dinner available for Disney Vacation Club members - The dinner will include a buffet, Christmas carolers and photo ops with Mickey and Minnie.
- Walt Disney World New Year's Eve dining information - Many of the restaurants will offer special meals or dining events to celebrate the holiday.
- Discounts and payment plans available at Walt Disney World Speedway - Several of the driving experiences are available with a discount through the holidays.
- Epcot's Canadian Lumberjack show on hiatus - The show will resume 1/4/15.
- Play nine holes of golf at Disney for just $29 - Play 9 holes at the Disney golf courses starting anytime between 7:00 and 8:30am for just $29.
- Details for 2015 Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival - Anna and Elsa topiaries will be on display at World Showcase Plaza.
- Epcot's Spice Road Table now accepts reservations - Reservations are available beginning December 2.
- The Comedy Warehouse Holiday Special to return to Hollywood Studios - This improvisational comedy show will return to the Premier Theater at Hollywood Studios from December 21, 2014 - January 4, 2015.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Magic Kingdom Hub - Cinderella Castle - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Magic Kingdom Hub - Cinderella Castle
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - The Diamond Horseshoe Balcony - The Diamond Horseshoe - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at The Diamond Horseshoe Balcony - The Diamond Horseshoe
- Save up to 30% on a stay at Aulani - Discount is available most nights 4/6 - 6/15/15.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Bay Lake Tower 15th Floor - Magic Kingdom - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Bay Lake Tower 15th Floor - Magic Kingdom
- Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party sold out on November 20 - There are still many MVMCP dates available.
- Plan B Character Dining at Walt Disney World - If youíre looking to make a reservation for a character meal and canít get one, weíve got a couple of suggestions for places you may not have thought of.
- Blizzard Beach to be closed November 17 due to cold temperatures - Typhoon Lagoon is already closed for its annual refurbishment.
- Top 5(+) things that are better at Walt Disney World than at Disneyland - Bigger may not always be better, but isn't always worse either. I can't resist countering with an article that lists, in my view, the things that are better at Walt Disney World.
- Guests meeting Santa at Downtown Disney have new notification option - Guests will get pagers if the wait exceeds 30 minutes (or they can choose to receive a text message instead). When their pager goes off and they return to Santa's Chalet, they will have about a 20 minute wait.
- Disney Visa cardholders get a special gift when taking advantage of Aulani discount - When booking the 4th night free offer, Disney Visa cardholders will also receive a special Welcome Gift at check-in with specialty items and signature Aulani merchandise ($98 value).
- SeaWorld lays off Clyde & Seamore mimes, among others
- Man sentenced to 5 years for Disney ticket scam
- Club 33 members upset about more changes to benefits
- Iger says future Star Wars attractions to be based on new films
- SeaWorld's CEO steps down
- Man sues SeaWorld for automatically renewing his annual pass
- Retirement date set for Disney's Meg Crofton
- Woman sues Disney, claiming disability after falling from carousel horse
- Hotel leadership changes at Walt Disney World
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailer released